The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Reasons to be cheerful.............

+2
theundisputedY2D2
Adam D
6 posters

Go down

Reasons to be cheerful............. Empty Reasons to be cheerful.............

Post by Adam D Thu 31 Oct 2013, 1:13 pm

My latest wrestletalk blog: http://wrestletalk.tv/development/Reasons_To_Be_Cheerful/

Reasons To Be Cheerful
By Adam Davey
31-10-2013 08:02 GMT

For the last few months, all the articles, reports and backstage gossip has pointed to TNA being in turmoil. Actually scrap that, it’s been more than just a few months. For the last year, not a week goes by without some negative noise coming out of Impact wrestling. But is it justified?

To be fair, quite often yes. However (there is always a however isn’t there?) TNA has a lot of things to be cheerful about too. And let’s not forget that the other major player has a lot of problems too. So, as TNA starts up another year following Bound for Glory, I think it’s about time that someone gave TNA some deserved recognition too.

Reasons why TNA should be cheerful: (cue chart countdown music)

5. PPV's

TNA do not have a strong PPV buy rate historically. That is a worry long term but it allowed them to try and redevelop the way they brought their stories to the audience. The decision to build to bigger, more impactful PPV’s was a good decision, allowing the Impact themed episodes in between to be shows that allow them to build up as special.

Compared to the WWE schedule of putting on a PPV every few weeks, this has proved to be better for the fans pocket and for the gestation of the stories. On top of that, they have just announced that the 2014 UK tour will feature episodes of their taped One Night Only PPVs. So not only are they cutting back on storyline led PPVS, they are also filming one offs in front of a hot audience.

Continued here - http://wrestletalk.tv/development/Reasons_To_Be_Cheerful/

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Reasons to be cheerful............. Empty Re: Reasons to be cheerful.............

Post by theundisputedY2D2 Thu 31 Oct 2013, 1:27 pm

Good article Adam OK

Interesting that you put the writing team in there, I'm sure if you had just written "Reason to be cheerful #1 - The creative writing team" without an explanation there would be a few people scratching their heads but given what they've had to contend with in the past year with all the comings and goings they've done remarkably well.

I also think they deserve a big thumbs up for the edition of (Jefferson) Impact they did where throughout the show Bully Ray explained all the intricacies of the Aces & Eights storyline. They could easily have said "Bully Ray is running Aces & Eights, deal with it and forget about anything that's come before" but they took the time to dedicate a whole show to explaining the angle.

In a time where a lot of wrestling storylines (WWE especially) blatantly ignore past history or hope fans don't remember certain situations that occurred, this made a refreshing change.

Oh and you forgot to add reason to be cheerful #6: Brooke Tessmacher's ass thumbsup

theundisputedY2D2

Location : Down By The Clyde, Near The SECC - You Can't Miss It!

Back to top Go down

Reasons to be cheerful............. Empty Re: Reasons to be cheerful.............

Post by Hero Thu 31 Oct 2013, 1:32 pm

5. PPVs...

In theory yes, less PPVs should allow for a much story arc to occur between them and for it then reach a finale at the PPV.
Unfortunately though the idea hasn't come to fruition, Bound for Glory looked like it was planned on the back of a fag packet 2 weeks prior to it happening.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Thu 31 Oct 2013, 1:39 pm

3. The best talkers in the business...

For every Bully Ray, Kazaniels and Aries you have a Punk, Ambrose and Heyman.

4. Admitting they get things wrong...

How about instead they just put their collective brains into gear and think if they do (insert stupid TNA idea) then what happens prior to instead just rolling it out and having to then hide it from memory 2 weeks later.

1. The Creative writing team

Claire Lynch
Aces and Eights
The reforming of MEM
AJ Ian Beale Styles turning into AJ Punk/CM Styles

Wow I see what you mean.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Thu 31 Oct 2013, 2:08 pm

Hero wrote:3. The best talkers in the business...

For every Bully Ray, Kazaniels and Aries you have a Punk, Ambrose and Heyman.

Out of those 6 people, I would rate Heyman top, then the TNA guys, followed by Punk/ Ambrose.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Thu 31 Oct 2013, 2:13 pm

Then you'd be wrong. I think you'd have to currently put Ambrose bottom of that list as the opportunity isn't there for him to talk, but Punk clearly takes it ahead of the TNA ones.

Bully is a very good talker, although with only one style. I'd possibly have Roode over Bully and Kazaniels

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Thu 31 Oct 2013, 2:36 pm

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:Then you'd be wrong. I think you'd have to currently put Ambrose bottom of that list as the opportunity isn't there for him to talk, but Punk clearly takes it ahead of the TNA ones.

Bully is a very good talker, although with only one style. I'd possibly have Roode over Bully and Kazaniels
I am glad that my opinion is wrong. Thanks for clarifying.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Thu 31 Oct 2013, 2:37 pm

I do what I can. Emo Emo 

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Fri 01 Nov 2013, 12:20 pm

Good article, for sure there is a silver lining at TNA - every wrestling promotion has its good and bad elements. I`ve been a TNA fan for a long time, I`ve supported the company primarily for two reasons, 1. Because the talent among the roster genuinely entertains me and 2. I want to see the company do well to rival WWE. Regarding point 2, I`m not interested in another Monday Night War - that`s been done and wrestling can`t go back to those days. However, healthy competition is good. Regarding point 1, I think the roster is full of talent and I hope TNA grows for their sake. Maybe they wouldn`t all break into the pack at WWE, but that doesn`t mean they`re talentless or unable to draw. This is why having an alternative is good for the business. Guys like Sting and Goldberg were able to make a name for themselves in WCW and thrive in that environment. Guys like Bobby Roode, Austin Aries, Samoa Joe and AJ Styles deserve recognition for redeeming TNA at times. They`ve kept the ship afloat many a time.

TNA seems to have new TV deals and they`re expanding their overseas markets. This is positive for the company and hopefully they`ll be able to film impact! in more countries in the future, particularly where their fanbase is hot, like the UK.

I hope Hogan stays away from the company, because I`d like to see creative be able to break free from the gravitational pull of the Hogan Blackhole effect. There needs to be a resolution to the Aces & 8s and I think the Ken Anderson/Bully Ray feud has legs. They also need to get Dixie off of TV and not have her the centre of the "drama". She doesn`t have the same screen presence as Vince MacMahon and definitely doesn`t look as natural as Vince on the mic.

It seems TNA have been trying to break into new areas around America with their PPVs to try and grow their fanbase, but honestly, I think they still need to stick to the tried and tested grounds - the places where their fanbase is strongest. They need to start selling out venues, even if those venues are only 3000-5000 capacity.

I really hope TNA can put the mistakes and failures of 2013 behind them, regroup and move on in 2014. I want TNA to still be around in another 10 years time and I want it to grow. It will never equal the WWE, but that doesn`t mean to say it can`t be successful financially or commercially. I certainly hope Bound for Glory 2014 is given more planning time and a better build up.

Sadly, mud sticks and I think the bad rep that TNA gets is a major hindrance to the company. Even when it does things well it`s not always given the credit its due. Hopefully, if the company is still around in another 3-5 years time the Hall of Fame may mean more and the show will be back on the road.

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Fri 01 Nov 2013, 2:16 pm

Cheers TP!

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Fri 01 Nov 2013, 4:49 pm

Good article, that I mostly agree with.

I suppose its easy to forget the writers often have to change things at short notice, due to talent getting injured, falling off the wagon and various other things. You'd think they could plan for people's contracts running out though (cancelled / cut short is another matter I guess).

They've still also got to up their game with regards to establishing "scenes" within the various divisions. Develop more feuds and establish pecking orders, so that when matches occur and one wrestler (or team) beats another, it has some kind of significance and doesn't just feel like the match was put on to fill some air time.

I think the X Division suffers most from this, with people being brought in and taken out almost at random (most notably the likes of Petey Williams and Sonjay Dutt).

The Knockouts Division is nearly as bad and suffers from having too few competitors at any one time. The fights are good, as are the feuds, but it feels like there are only ever 3-4 women competing for the belt.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down