The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hook In for AI's

+4
GunsGerms
stub
Casartelli
iantobquick
8 posters

Go down

Hook In for AI's Empty Hook In for AI's

Post by iantobquick Fri 01 Nov 2013, 1:22 pm

Sorry if this has been dealt with, but with 3 10's in the squad why is Hook in? Is there a chance of Hook playing 12 as a starter? We seem to have cover elsewhere so not sure why he is in?

iantobquick

Back to top Go down

Hook In for AI's Empty Re: Hook In for AI's

Post by Casartelli Fri 01 Nov 2013, 2:22 pm

Hook's last ten appearances in tests have all been off the bench. Gatland declared last week that he is frustrated by the terms of Hook's Perpignan contract and this means he slips down the pecking order for Welsh selection.

Hook is there as utility cover, same as always.

I'm sure Gatland talks about Hook to the media just to deflect the more awkward questions away. Like that time he picked Tom Prydie.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by stub Fri 01 Nov 2013, 4:29 pm

I read on here somewhere that Hook is like a "Swiss Army Knife" and therefore highly useful to have around.

stub

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 01 Nov 2013, 4:35 pm

stub wrote:I read on here somewhere that Hook is like a "Swiss Army Knife" and therefore highly useful to have around.
Good player but at this stage he might have lost his toothpick and tweezers though.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by stub Fri 01 Nov 2013, 4:39 pm

GunsGerms wrote:
stub wrote:I read on here somewhere that Hook is like a "Swiss Army Knife" and therefore highly useful to have around.
Good player but at this stage he might have lost his toothpick and tweezers though.
Ha ha! Happens to all of em eventually! Very Happy 

stub

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat 02 Nov 2013, 8:54 am

I can't see him starting unless there is a raft of injuries, he will be used as bench option.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmyinthewell68 Sat 02 Nov 2013, 9:16 am

i do feel sorry for the guy . when you can play a few positions you tend to be benched under gats . example Ryan Jones

jimmyinthewell68

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmyinthewell68 Sat 02 Nov 2013, 9:23 am

but saying that with Ryan there are better players in the positions he plays same with hook .

jimmyinthewell68

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat 02 Nov 2013, 9:28 am

If Hook or R Jones were the best in their position then I wouldn't have a problem with them starting but Hook isn't the best 10,12 or 15 and Jones isn't the best 6 or 8.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by stub Sat 02 Nov 2013, 10:46 am

jimmyinthewell68 wrote:i do feel sorry for the guy . when you can play a few positions you tend to be benched under gats . example Ryan Jones

Apparently he (Hook) is a good bloke too. I can remember him visiting my nephews' school in Port Talbot and making a really positive impression on everyone. In fact both of my nephews then went on to play rugby for a bit after that - both of them 6ft 4 monsters!

stub

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Sat 02 Nov 2013, 11:56 am

Useful utility player, but not one of the top 3/4 in any position:

10, Priestland, Biggar, Patchell
Centre: Davies, Roberts, Scott Williams, Beck
15, Halfpenny, Liam Williams, Byrne

Good goal kicker, some nice touches with the ball, but lacks pace, defence and concentration. Best chance will be as the "Swiss Army Knife" on the bench, but with a fit squad. I can see whoever does not play from Priestland and Biggar together with Liam Williams taking the outside back bench places.

Its a shame, great player on his day, but really needs to develop his game to rescue what was supposed to be a glittering career.

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Sat 02 Nov 2013, 4:39 pm

I don't see why he wouldn't play in the less important games. He is doing really well for Perps which means his form has to be taken into account at some stage. If he played like it for one of the regions he would get game time.

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Sat 02 Nov 2013, 7:26 pm

Brendan, playing for your country should be about being the best in your position not just having a few good games for your club. If it was the Wales side would look very different.

Hook can get away with 50 or 60 % performance for his club but at test level he gets found out. No doubt he has talent but does he really want it?

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat 02 Nov 2013, 8:39 pm

Brendan wrote:I don't see why he wouldn't play in the less important games.  He is doing really well for Perps which means his form has to be taken into account at some stage.  If he played like it for one of the regions he would get game time.
Brendan,

He may well start against Tonga but then again so may Patchell or Biggar or Priestland. He was at one of the Regions and couldn't get a regular start at 10 then and the only Region with (potentially) room for him at the moment is the Dragons as the other 3 have the 3 current players selected ahead of him at 10.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down