The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aviva Premiership faster paced than Super Rugby

+7
geoff998rugby
lostinwales
thebandwagonsociety
Scrumpy
butterfingers
SecretFly
alcoombe
11 posters

Go down

Aviva Premiership faster paced than Super Rugby Empty Aviva Premiership faster paced than Super Rugby

Post by alcoombe Sun 03 Nov 2013, 10:47 pm

James O'Connor admitted he was taken aback by the pace of the English Premiership after making a losing debut for London Irish against title-chasing Northampton on Sunday.

The 23-year-old was delighted to be out on the pitch, but acknowledged the tempo of the match had proved challenging.

"The speed of the game was very surprising," he said.

"I thought Super Rugby was fast but I was really blowing out there, that's for sure."

"my fitness levels have to improve"

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/james-oconnor-stars-but-london-irish-loses-20131104-2wvae.html

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2013/nov/03/london-irish-northampton-premiership

Wink

alcoombe

Back to top Go down

Aviva Premiership faster paced than Super Rugby Empty Re: Aviva Premiership faster paced than Super Rugby

Post by SecretFly Mon 04 Nov 2013, 5:51 am

or just less beer.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Aviva Premiership faster paced than Super Rugby Empty Re: Aviva Premiership faster paced than Super Rugby

Post by butterfingers Mon 04 Nov 2013, 6:14 am

I'm not sure he realises the role he has to play in the AP is far different to the one in Melbourne.

The prem isn't faster, but I think it's more technical and abbrasive in the tight. We like to use our backs as ball carriers all over the pitch, wingers see more ball out wide but let it go more as well, whereas with defences up north it takes more individual effort to get forward.

He was hardly going to say the prem was a joke and rubbish though was he?

butterfingers

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Mon 04 Nov 2013, 6:26 am

Just think how quick it could be if we played in the summer on harder pitches.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Mon 04 Nov 2013, 7:03 am

Maybe all the positional kicking means as a fullback he has to keep getting into position.  Also as a newbie, he'd be targeted a bit surely in that game.

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Mon 04 Nov 2013, 7:39 am

butterfingers wrote:I'm not sure he realises the role he has to play in the AP is far different to the one in Melbourne.

The prem isn't faster, but I think it's more technical and abbrasive in the tight. We like to use our backs as ball carriers all over the pitch, wingers see more ball out wide but let it go more as well, whereas with defences up north it takes more individual effort to get forward.

Not on his first day no... It will be interesting to see what he says at the end of the season though.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by butterfingers Mon 04 Nov 2013, 7:44 am

lostinwales wrote:
butterfingers wrote:I'm not sure he realises the role he has to play in the AP is far different to the one in Melbourne.

Not on his first day no... It will be interesting to see what he says at the end of the season though.
Will he get that far, what are the discipline issues at Irish like these days? I get the feeling he lost his contract south and Irish pounced before anyone could seriously consider what risk he would be.

I hope he regains his form of 2/3 seasons ago though, he is supremely talented (how many times have we said that in recent years?)

butterfingers

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Fri 08 Nov 2013, 5:15 am

Having listened to the interview last night there is no way you can infer he is stating the the Aviva is faster.

You could equally interpret it as implying

'It was not as slow as I thought it would be'

Equally valid

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri 08 Nov 2013, 6:32 am

Aviva Premiership faster paced than Super Rugby
Not in January

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Fri 08 Nov 2013, 10:21 am

It was for Januarie. The O's couldn't wait for the required mandatory three-month replacement signing before they got shot of him after playing a Jeff side.

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Fri 08 Nov 2013, 10:51 am

geoff998rugby wrote:Having listened to the interview last night there is no way you can infer he is stating the the Aviva is faster.

You could equally interpret it as implying

'It was not as slow as I thought it would be'

Equally valid
can you explain me something? what's the difference between geoff998 and geoff999?

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sat 09 Nov 2013, 9:10 am

Sounds like he isn't match fit after a few weeks off. Tell us something we don't know. LI and Saints play expansive rugby but nothing like what's on offer in Super Rugby.

If JOC stated this after joining the vastly superior Pro12 gang then he'd be talking sense. Run 

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down