The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This weekend.

+10
Cyril
OzT
Taylorman
fa0019
kiakahaaotearoa
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Rugby Fan
GloriousEmpire
aucklandlaurie
Biltong
14 posters

Go down

This weekend. Empty This weekend.

Post by Biltong Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:40 am

The benefit of having participating countries in different time zone is that you get to watch all the matches live, sadly this is not the case in Europe.

This weekend we will have to choose our viewing, something I am not used to.

Italy host Australia at 14h00 GMT
England host Argentina at 14h30 GMT
Scotland host Japan at 14h30 GMT
Wales host South Africa at 17h30 GMT
Ireland host Samoa at 17h45 GMT
France host New Zealand at 20h00 GMT

It is obvious that some games will have to be recorded and as such the PVR is going to work overtime this coming Saturday.

Now my biggest problem with watching a test match that has been recorded is that I don’t get to scream at the TV, as the horse has bolted and the game is over. This does damper the impact that a test match has on my carnal instincts to get all fired up and support the underdog.

Be that as it may, it is what it is.

We have some savoury recorded matches that will entertain us this weekend.

Italy will expect Australia to be vulnerable in the scrums, Ewen McKenzie has written the IRB in haste in hope that the media circus that has followed in the past week will somehow improve the Wallabies’ chances at scrum time this coming weekend. Whether it will help against an obvious strong scrum from Italy is of course another question altogether.

I do believe Australia has the backs to beat Italy, perhaps not convincingly so as their confidence level must be at an all time low. The fact is Australia is facing their worst season in a long, long time.

England will be supremely confident for their clash against Argentina as they beat them soundly in June, however it might not be as easy as that. Argentina had very few of their top players available then, and the truth is their second string is nowhere in the class of England’s.

I do think however England inspite of their lacklustre performance against is on a roll and the habit of winning close matches whilst playing poorly still does create the habit of winning.

The Scotland vs Japan match holds a lot of intrigue for me. Albeit a second string team, Japan managed to turn Wales over in June, and will hope to get a win against Scotland.

Scotland however had a some strong performances this year, and their match against South Africa in June showed that their second stringers aren’t that bad at all.

I suspect Scotland will win this match by a margin of 10 or more.

Then the big one. Wales is building themselves up. Gatland is putting in the minds of his players that South Africa didn’t deserve to beat Wales in their last meeting during the 2011 RWC, and believe Wales were unlucky to lose. He is hoping to transfer the confidence of the British and Irish Lions tour (should I say Wales tour) against Australia over into his squad.

Meyer wants a open roof (or does he?), Gatland wants closed roof. The question is, did Meyer play a psychological game with Gatland.

Either way this match promises much. It is difficult to say where these two teams are in relation to one another. Wales are Six Nations champions, have won the Lions Series by representation and have had some close matches against South Africa.

South Africa has been a revelation thus far this year, albeit not consistently so. If they come out firing on all cilinders, Wales can face a very tough challenge. But then again, if South Africa has one of those lacklustre performances Wales will smell blood and the results could end up badly for SA.

So the biggest question is, will both teams be at the top of their game?

Ireland hosts the very physical Samoans, my advice is wear some protection in the nether regions Wink just in case.

Samoa will want to beat Ireland, they have only once beaten Ireland in 1996, but since then they have become a threat to many tier one nations.

Last but not least, France will host a formidable All Black team. I really don’t think it matters which French team rocks up. The All Blacks are currently simply a step above.

But as in all sport a few surprises loom. You just never know.

I just hate the fact that I won’t be able to view all these matches live.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

This weekend. Empty Re: This weekend.

Post by aucklandlaurie Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:43 am

Im looking at:

Scotland by 10.

Ireland by 10.

England by 10.

South Africa by 10.

Australia by 10.

Maori All Blacks by 10.

New Zealand by 30.

Last edited by aucklandlaurie on Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:03 am; edited 1 time in total

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:47 am

BT mouth watering write up but I STILL HAVE NO TV which means I get to see maybe two/three of those and hope a couple of mates sky+ the others for me and then burn them. Ffs. Never move house a few weeks before the rugby starts unless you have a gold plated guarantee from at least two service providers that they can install your cable.

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:58 am

I find it nigh on impossible to avoid seeing or hearing about scores in the other matches these days, which is another reason why watching recordings lacks an edge.

I often have half an eye on Twitter during a match and , inevitably, see all the commentary on the other live games. In fact, if you go online at all, there's the risk of some flash headline popping up with a result. Even a total online embargo can be scuppered by a commentator saying "Hearing news of an upset over in x"

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:32 am

I always plan to sky+ them and make believe they're live. But then I channel graze and check the internet

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:38 am

Scotland by 10+

Ireland by 5

England by 5

South Africa by 10+

Australia by 10

Maori All Blacks by 10+

New Zealand by 10+

Braveheart

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:14 am

Do you really scream and shout watching a neutral match BB? Surely you'll watch the SA Wales match live and the others are for curiosity.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:21 am

Scotland by 15 (Should be putting teams like Japan to the sword, confidence from HC & SA match)
England by 15 (Lobbe missing, thats huge, huge.. expect a big tune up game for England ahead of AB clash)
Ireland by <5 (No Sexton, no O'Brien, no O'Connell... could be very tight).
South Africa by 5 (Can't see Wales starting well enough to win, not been great in HC... SA will be too good, Roberts loss is massive).
NZ by 5 (will be tougher then some think, at home, no expectations)
Australia by 20 (fancy them to have a good day, Italy to not turn up)

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:23 am

watching the french game at the jville innkeeper on sunday...thumbsup 

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:23 am

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:Do you really scream and shout watching a neutral match BB? Surely you'll watch the SA Wales match live and the others are for curiosity.
Kia, I scream and shout in every rugby match I watch live. If it isn't one of my favourite sides I pick the underdog. If the referee blunders in a game no matter who plays I swear at him, tell him he is an idiot and feel bad for the team copping the wrong decision.

I don't watch rugby as a casual observer, unless it is a rout, then I lose interest very quickly.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by OzT Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:26 am

Biltong wrote:

Now my biggest problem with watching a test match that has been recorded is that I don’t get to scream at the TV, as the horse has bolted and the game is over.
That's never a problem mate. We used to have race nights when films of old harness races from some outback track is shown, and we place our bets, then when they're off we'd all shout at the screen as if it makes a difference, which of course it doesn't as the race was probably ran 10 years ago!!!

Never spoils the fun though! Smile

OzT

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:28 am

For me:

Scotland by 15.
Samoa by 5.
England by 15.
South Africa by 10.
Australia by 20.
New Zealand by 20

I find it difficult watch recorded games too, even if I don't know the score. It doesn't seem right somehow. At least you can fast forward the anthems and dances though Wink

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:03 am

Australia by 15
England by 10
Scotland by 20
Wales by 80 (SA by 10)
Ireland by 5
NZ by 10

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:46 am

Fair enough mate. I support Scotland in honour of my father and I'm kicking and screaming though. The highlight was watching them in the last 5n in France in 1998 and the ugliest Calcutta win in 2006.

I'll support other teams but usually just want to be entertained like Wales vs Ireland. I don't mind who wins and never would shout like I do in a NZ match for the other matches. It doesn't have to be a tryfest either but for example Australia against Argentina in Perth this year was unwatchable after the intensity of Auckland.

This weekend I could quite happily stay in a pub all day watching rugby but I will probably only watch the NZ game. My wife knows that's sacrosanct but she might not show the same support for Ireland vs Samoa. Choose your battles or say she deserves a day/ night out with her friends.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:17 pm

Marry a better one like I did Kia. The missus brings me cold beer, hot coffee and salty chippies as the rugby unfolds throughout the day.

yeah right.
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:23 pm

In another life Ill marry a Sharks cheerleader and sit in the jacuzzi watching live rugby cheering the missus on and all her co-cheerleaders until they join me back in the tub.

Yeah right. Why marry one when I can have them all. Like Papa Lazarou, you're my wives now. Very Happy 

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:25 pm

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:In another life Ill marry a Sharks cheerleader and sit in the jacuzzi watching live rugby cheering the missus on and all her co-cheerleaders until they join me back in the tub.

Yeah right. Why marry one when I can have them all. Like Papa Lazarou, you're my wives now. Very Happy 
Sharks cheerleaders.... worth a trip to Durban anyday.

The Stormers used to have equally great girls but something went obviously wrong... they must have cut the bdget as the 180cm, blonde model look went out the door about 2 years ago and it was replaced with simply enthusiastic girls next door types. Not what I pay my r80 for!!!

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:32 pm

I don't condone prostitution but those prices seem reasonable to me. Whistle 

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:34 pm

sure you get it for less if you haggled Kia.... I think you would have to say a few prayers first mind and have a good doctor on standby mind! Shocked

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Wi11 Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:53 pm

Italy by 5
Scotland by 15
England by 5
Wales by 5
Samoa by 10
NZ by 25

Good set of fixtures this weekend - every team will think they have a chance!

Wi11

Back to top Go down

Post by stub Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:18 pm

Aus by 5
Scotland by 15
England by 10
Wales by 5
Ireland by not much
NZ by not much

stub

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:20 pm

Anyone watching italy v aus see ital are 10 - 0 up

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by stub Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:22 pm

Seems to have sparked Aus back into life. 10-7 now...

stub

Back to top Go down

Post by Wi11 Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:23 pm

Italy take an early 10-0 lead scoring from inside their own half. Aus hit back quickly, 10-7. Interesting game.

Wi11

Back to top Go down

Post by stub Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:23 pm

Another Aus try - good match...

stub

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down