The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cotto v Canelo v Martinez

+11
Hammersmith harrier
Strongback
Valero's Conscience
azania
John Bloody Wayne
Haito
Nico the gman
Seanusarrilius
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
mobilemaster8
jimdig
15 posters

Go down

Cotto v Canelo v Martinez  Empty Cotto v Canelo v Martinez

Post by jimdig Fri 08 Nov 2013, 2:02 pm

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=dan-rafael&id=6295&src=desktop

So it looks like cotto is holding all the cards. Goldenboy have offered him 8 figures to fight Canelo in march. He also has first refusal at Martinez in June.

What do you think he should do / will do, and likely outcome of proposed fights?

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Cotto v Canelo v Martinez  Empty Re: Cotto v Canelo v Martinez

Post by mobilemaster8 Fri 08 Nov 2013, 2:06 pm

Has a good shot with canelo for sure.

Martinez LKO.

Big money fights but hope he wont get jobbed on the cards against Canelo.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Fri 08 Nov 2013, 2:13 pm

Think that Canelo at this stage is the harder fight, but he is also the far more lucrative so if I were Canelo I'd go for Canelo

Don't really like it how the promoters are trying to use Cotto's name though to help there own fighters

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Fri 08 Nov 2013, 2:20 pm

Martinez is th emore intriguing fight to me, mostly because with Sergio's recent decline, it would be hard to call. Canelo would be too big and too strong IMO. Probably wears Cotto down late whilst being v close on the cards. Cotto isn't a natural 154 pounder in my eyes, this would be telling.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Fri 08 Nov 2013, 2:41 pm

I'm kind of with you on this WHU, I think goldenboy are seeing cotto as a bounce back fight for Canelo. Thus they are willing to give cotto any deal he wants.
Martinez is in a different position, he may be shot, so the fight could well be a retirement plan. If he's not shot, he'll get another big fight.

I like cotto, but I don't see him being able to beat Canelo, he'll be on the back foot all night, much like Margery or clottey, and I doubt he keeps the young Canelo off him.

Martinez is a toss of the coin stuff, what is left of Martinez? He was already in decline, but probably still goes into the fight bigger and stronger than cotto.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Fri 08 Nov 2013, 3:43 pm

Goldenboy may think they're catching Cotto at just the right time,Cotto has been in a lot of hard fights,while Canelo despite the Mayweather defeat is still young and fresh and big at the weight.

One thing I love about Cotto he ducks no-one, for me one of the true warriors of the sport.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by Haito Fri 08 Nov 2013, 3:48 pm

Depends how Canelo reacts to the Mayweather loss. He has lost that aura of invincibility now he has tasted defeat. Canelo would be favourite but id be very tempted to stick a few bob on Cotto, He could frustrate Canelo and pinch rounds.
Haito
Haito

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Fri 08 Nov 2013, 5:37 pm

Cotto has only ever been stopped by high volume, powerful guys like plaster wrap Marg and Pacquiao.

He's only ever been decisioned by skilled backfoot slicksters. Canelo is neither, and Cotto has much better footwork for my money, see the way he got under Mayweather and roughed him a bit.

On the other hand Canelo is much bigger and should be in his prime, whereas Cotto is definitely past it. I think it should be a close one.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 08 Nov 2013, 5:40 pm

Canelo will murder him. He's a very good fighter. Shame that he ran into the best boxer of his generation.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Fri 08 Nov 2013, 5:58 pm

He was a chinless wonder before the Mayweather fight.

Or was that opinion changed by him not fulfilling your LKO4 to Trout prophecy?

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Fri 08 Nov 2013, 6:30 pm

I'm sure Cotto will fight Canelo if offered a minimum of $10m and I think he'll believe he has a shot, which he does IMO.

Not many get to bow out on $10m so can't blame him and could possibly have a final fight after against Martinez so a very lucrative 2014.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Fri 08 Nov 2013, 10:26 pm

I don't like saying this as I'm a Cotto fan but I think he loses to both.  A prime Cotto could beat Alverez but I think he's has too many miles built up at this stage.

Cotto is really a WW in my view and is giving a fair bit away when he takes on big LMW's.  

Sergio is just a better fighter than Cotto all ends up and bigger.  He may have faded but so has Cotto.

Cotto should take the bigger money and that seems to be Alverez.   I have read Cotto is number three to only Mayweather and Manny when it comes to selling PPV.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Fri 08 Nov 2013, 10:32 pm

I could well be proved to look a little bit foolish here but I think Alvarez beats Cotto at any point in his career, he's simply to big and Cotto doesn't have the style to overcome the size. I would tip him to fight Martinez if i'm honest, a more winnable fight at this stage and a chance to become a four weight world champion. Aside from money Alvarez isn't offering him much incentive, no belt, no record to aim for and I don't think Cotto is driven primarily by money.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Fri 08 Nov 2013, 11:47 pm

Canelo beats him comfortably but I think he has a decent chance against Martinez

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sat 09 Nov 2013, 1:34 pm

It's the body shots from Canelo that would do Cotto in

Cotto is a great fighter and has had loads of hard fights,  but he does seem fragile to the body (Trout and Floyd had good success to the body and neither are punchers)  and his stamina is a question mark especially  as he ages,  and Canelo can really bang to the body and can walk him down

Martinez is equally difficult for Cotto and stylistically is the harder match up,  but his age/injuries and current form makes it tighter.  Martinez is just too big and too quick and I couldn't see Cotto getting to the inside without taking serious leather from a serious puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Sat 09 Nov 2013, 1:47 pm

canelo beats cotto easy for me, he's a style that he has always struggled with. marg and even clottey stuck with him and worn him down and neither are as big as canelo. think canelo can walk through him if im honest. nothing in cotto record since manny suggest he's capable of beating canelo

martinez would be the fight id like to see, dont think either are at there best and would be a tough one to call. if martinez has anything left in the tank he would be favourite

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sat 09 Nov 2013, 1:55 pm

Would rather see Canelo vs Martinez but one is HBO and the other is Showtime so it won't happen

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Sat 09 Nov 2013, 10:48 pm

Canelo is more than a little overrated, but Cotto is very shop worn. So Canelo's size and power should be too much for Cotto.

Martinez's speed has Cotto in a daze. Cotto was clueless against Trout. Had Sergio is many leagues above Trout.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Sat 09 Nov 2013, 11:57 pm

i think canelo beats cotto in a very interesting fight, and shows he may have lost to mayweather but he is relatively inexperienced in big fight and by no way disgraced himself against mayweather, and is still a force to be reconed with.

that said id take martinez first as i think martinez as he is done. at one point in his career murray, barker etc wouldnt have lasted 5 rounds in the ring with him.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down