The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Novak Djokovic - Part Time Hero

+13
Born Slippy
Johnyjeep
Haddie-nuff
FedsFan
hawkeye
Josiah Maiestas
sirfredperry
barrystar
Silver
slashermcguirk
Danny_1982
HM Murdock
JuliusHMarx
17 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Novak Djokovic - Part Time Hero - Page 2 Empty Novak Djokovic - Part Time Hero

Post by Guest Tue 12 Nov 2013, 12:57 pm

First topic message reminder :

When I think Novak Djokovic I think of a guy who is an extremely talented player who has breath-taking athleticism and is a very modest guy to himself and his fellow pro's. Yet to the masses I think he is still an enigma. Fans still not what to make of him or how to take him. I guess he is a quiet and personal guy away from the court. Doesn't have the flashy gimmick merchandise of a Federer or Nadal. Now I do feel for Novak because of the last 3 years he has done enough to warrant a niche part of the tennis world exclusively to himself. This post isn't about stats. It is trying to find out what the fans are finding relutance into fully immersing themselves in Djokovic. Now last night I browsed over several tennis sections and it was the Federer fans rejoicing in the success of Djokovic. Seeing Nadal lose to Djokovic was the icing on the cake. But that for me is where Novak get's lost. It wasn't a celebration of victory, but one of defeat. I do wonder when will Federer fans will give themselves over to Djokovic and give him the love and respect he deserves. He is the only guy who can live with Nadal when Nadal is on fire. See Novak deserves more from the fans and more from the sport.

See I like Djokovic. I like how he conducts himself and at times how he plays the game. Unfortunately my alliance is with Andy, but who here will give themselves over to Djokovic to give him that love he craves from the fans.

Back to top Go down

Novak Djokovic - Part Time Hero - Page 2 Empty Re: Novak Djokovic - Part Time Hero

Post by naxroy Wed 13 Nov 2013, 4:14 am

djokovic is a beast of a player. is right in the middle between roger´s class and rafts power.
and he survived them both

naxroy

Back to top Go down

Novak Djokovic - Part Time Hero - Page 2 Empty Re: Novak Djokovic - Part Time Hero

Post by socal1976 Wed 13 Nov 2013, 7:28 am

Nore Staat wrote:Okay.

Well I think Nadal is fine - I like his never say die attitude - he always gives his best ... to the point of breaking his body.  But he grunts a bit & his matches tend to go on and on.

Now we have all seen many that don't like Nadal & they call him Nadull.  I think they get too emotional & carried away.  But they make the claim that he is "destroying the sport they claim to love" - that he lacks versatility, that his style is based on ping pong tennis (heavy top spin) and stamina.  That heavy top spin bouncy ball that defeats Federer more or less every time - they call a moonball.  They get upset that Federer has to win the point five times before actually winning - because Nadal always tends to get the ball back.  So they make the claim that Nadal tends to win not with winners but by the opponent ending up making UE or just running out of puff.  

Because of all the energy Nadal expends on each point, it is only natural that he is going to take a little extra time between points but that brings the claim he is "cheating" because he is taking more time than the allotted amount.  My view is that it is in the hands of the umpire - maybe the umpire decides that more time is needed after lengthy rallies - I mean it is his call & he is allowed to make that call according to the rules.

Djokovic has developed a means to keep up with Nadal & I believe he has better on court intelligence & versatility & that is why he can beat Nadal when they are both on top form.

That lack of on court intelligence (relatively speaking) from Nadal makes the coaching from the sides by Toni Nadal more important & more irritating to some.

Personally I can't "blame" anyone for their style of tennis - if it works then great - & they should keep doing the same thing until something changes & they have to adapt or lose.  But then again you will get the various supporters or non-supporters complaining.  Sure let them complain but don't go on and on - it makes them seem a bit boorish & psychologically weak.
I agree fortunately we don't have many federer fans left who use terms like moonballing and whine on incessantly about Nadal just being a "lung merchant". You also touched on a point that is the reason I can't really root for Nadal (except to displace Federer as GOAT); I find him to be tactically and strategically too repetitive and unimaginative. He has added a little variety to his game, but I feel like he is a player who has an incredible Plan A and sticks to it 99 percent of the time in 99 percent of the matches. That is why I have been surprised and impressed with the tactical wrinkles he has added to his game in the last year to combat Djokovic, which has paid huge dividends for him and put Novak on the back foot at times.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Wed 13 Nov 2013, 7:33 am

Nore Staat, I don't know if that last post was aimed at me but I do actually agree with you.

Whilst I don't want Nadal to win, I'm not angry when he does. It's only a game of tennis! I'd never expect him to change. He has a style that only one, maybe two, players (Novak and Davydenko) have had any kind of regular success against. He'd be crazy to change his approach! And I can appreciate what he does - his passing shots in particular astound me.

The one Nadal-related thing that really gets under my skin is the number of players who bottle it and choke against him and produce really timid performances. But I don't blame Rafa for that.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Wed 13 Nov 2013, 7:37 am

SoCal, well said. I think Rafa is a more expansive player nowadays but the incessant topspin FH into opponents' BH during his early years drove me crazy. That's probably what put me off him now I think about it.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Wed 13 Nov 2013, 8:42 am

Interesting last sentence Nore Staat. I've expressed similar sentiments in the past. There is fun to be had in the debate, as long as no-one is overly serious about the outcome. To go on and on in the complaining about one player, or the championing of another, as if it's the most important and dear thing to you, as if changing the opinions of others to match one's own is a serious and desperate goal; I find that both bizarre and disconcerting.

Fortunately that line is rarely crossed over on this forum.

HM, oddly that incessant FH to the opponents BH, on clay at least, is what led me to enjoy watching Rafa in his early years. Obviously the cross-court FH is the staple shot of tennis, and being a leftie it's bound to go to a righty's FH. That and the stamina and the top-spin was the perfect(-ish) clay court game.

I don't enjoy the fact that the same game works on grass, and the overall slower HC's, but that's not really Rafa's fault.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Wed 13 Nov 2013, 9:05 am

It's all eye of the beholder, JHM!

Your point is quite correct but I always felt it went beyond simply being the most statistically likely shot. It was the tactic in its own right that was repeated almost ad infinitum.

This comes out in Rafa's book. He really was just going after the BH v Federer over and over, however many shots it took.

I'm not critical of it because his first job is to win, and that tactic made that possible. I just found it drab to watch.

I also found Rafa a bit of an automaton in his early days. It seemed as if Toni had hatched a cunning strategy and drilled it into young Rafa and HE MUST EXECUTE IT ALL COSTS OR THERE WILL BE CONSEQUENCES!!!

Less so nowadays.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Wed 13 Nov 2013, 9:12 am

HM Murdoch wrote:It is strange why we like and dislike players.

I nearly always want Rafa to lose.

But I really don't know why! He seems like a very nice guy and he's undoubtedly a brilliant player. I'm not mad keen on his style but nor do I hate it. It must be something in his on court persona that bugs. Possibly the grunting, fist pumping, fidgeting and Vamos-ing irritates me.

Yet it's not as if Novak is a shy violet on court, so I don't know why Rafa should bug me!
HM - my thoughts exactly. I nearly always want Rafa to lose. I just love seeing him beaten. And yet, and yet....he is very sporting, very modest, carries himself well, always says the right thing. He's also one of the greatest fighters and fiercest competitors you'll see. He always plays his heart out. He'd be easier to hate if he weren't so nice.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Wed 13 Nov 2013, 9:24 am

sirfredperry wrote: He'd be easier to hate if he weren't so nice.
Ha ha! Yes, wouldn't he just?! I always feel a bit bad when I see him interviewed because he comes across like a little puppy. It's easy to forget that little puppy can savage someone on a tennis court!

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Wed 13 Nov 2013, 9:32 am

HM Murdoch wrote:
sirfredperry wrote: He'd be easier to hate if he weren't so nice.
Ha ha! Yes, wouldn't he just?! I always feel a bit bad when I see him interviewed because he comes across like a little puppy. It's easy to forget that little puppy can savage someone on a tennis court!
You have summed up my feelings about Novak... though I would stop short of using the word "hate" but I nearly always want him to lose.. (no I don´t cheer) he probably is one of the nicest blokes breathing .. but my instincts tell me otherwise.  I wonder how many of our colleagues at work ever really see us as a REAL person and not what we betray ourselves to be in the workplace .

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Wed 13 Nov 2013, 9:47 am

Haddie, if my colleagues knew what I was really like, I'd probably be out of a job!Wink

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Wed 13 Nov 2013, 9:52 am

HM Murdoch wrote:Haddie, if my colleagues knew what I was really like, I'd probably be out of a job!Wink

Laugh  Im sure that could (or in my case could have) applied to us all. Which illustrates exactly what Im saying.. there are two sides to all of us and that is really how it should be.

We have ended with two of the greats finishing off a great season (for us Nadal fans any way.. he cant win em all)
Good Luck to Novak.. and the rest of the players for next season.. lets hope its a good one.
I might love em or "hate" em but they all make a huge contribution bless em

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2