The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AB's Most Dominant Team in the History of the World

+15
mystiroakey
Cyril
gregortree
SecretFly
GunsGerms
jimmyinthewell68
quinsforever
GloriousEmpire
doctor_grey
Luckless Pedestrian
tigerleghorn
Hood83
kiakahaaotearoa
aucklandlaurie
Otagolad
19 posters

Go down

AB's Most Dominant Team in the History of the World Empty AB's Most Dominant Team in the History of the World

Post by Otagolad Fri 15 Nov - 7:46

Just thought I'd get in first on this one.  

http://www.espnscrum.com/newzealand/rugby/story/206079.html

ESPNScrum.com reporting that a reporter saw a message on a whiteboard in the AB's meeting room at their London Hotel - the message read:

"We are the most dominant team in the history of the world."

Before everyone gets stuck in saying aren't the AB's arrogant and how dare they say the POMS are arrogant etc., this message is clearly a reminder to the AB's that statistically they are the most dominant team and that's what they've got to play to preserve.  It's clearly not a message saying this 2013 team themselves are the most dominant (although hard to argue against it) and they all now believe their own hype, rather it's a message saying look what has come before you and what you need to continue so you can pass that legacy on to future squads of AB's.

In some ways this is refreshing for the AB's as they have in the past tried to avoid piling pressure on themselves and it looks now like the talk before the World Cup of embracing the losses AB's teams had suffered previously in RWC's rather than burying them has been carried forward to embracing the legacy of the AB's and putting pressure on themselves to maintain those lofty heights.

They're my thoughts anyway.  I however await the vitriol and abuse that will surely follow.  This AB's fan is picking a 15-20 point hiding of England - arrogant?  Possibly.  Realistic?  Probably. Run

Otagolad

Back to top Go down

AB's Most Dominant Team in the History of the World Empty Re: AB's Most Dominant Team in the History of the World

Post by aucklandlaurie Fri 15 Nov - 7:52

Werent the Aussie rugby league team staying in that hotel last week?.... they wouldnt have cleaned the whiteboard before leaving.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

AB's Most Dominant Team in the History of the World Empty Re: AB's Most Dominant Team in the History of the World

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Fri 15 Nov - 7:57

Stuart Lancaster agreed. What he's been putting on the whiteboard behind closed doors is anyone's guess but I think any team is going to mentally big themselves up as the mental aspect of the game is crucial.

The way I see it Hansen is trying to tap into the players' minds and extract what he needs to get a good performance out of them. They reached their peak at Ellis Park. It was by no means a perfect performance but it was in the psychological sense. The ABs knew SA would throw everything at them and they did and they responded including with players in the bin.

This week is not so much the threat from England, real as that is. The real hurdle for NZ is raising their performance which has steadily dipped since Ellis Park. To beat England they'll need to be on an upward trend and come out with similar levels of intensity. They have gone off the boil and this is a way of stoking the fire within. Not long till we find out whether it will do the trick.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Otagolad Fri 15 Nov - 8:01

aucklandlaurie wrote:
Werent the Aussie rugby league team staying in that hotel last week?.... they wouldnt have cleaned the whiteboard before leaving.
Or possibly the England cricket team left it before heading out to Aus - just the kind of thing Pietersen would write. On second thoughts that would be "I am the most dominant cricketer in the history of the world." Whistle Run 

Otagolad

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Fri 15 Nov - 8:04

The use of the word dominant speaks volumes to me, he didnt us airy-fairy terms like "best", or "most successful" etc etc.

The word dominant indicates the theme and identifies the task for the week... its an instruction.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Fri 15 Nov - 8:11

Don't see anything wrong with this, but I'd love to see GE's reaction in particular. If the boot was on the other foot England would never hear the end of this.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by tigerleghorn Fri 15 Nov - 8:12

Don't worry guys, I'm sure few will accuse AB's of arrogance. That's a tag exclusively reserved for us English.

When we're crud we're arrogant and when we had our time in the sun in the early noughties we were incredibly arrogant.

We're the leaders in arrogance!.....or am I being arrogant about this? Headscratch 

tigerleghorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 15 Nov - 8:45

Otagolad wrote:
aucklandlaurie wrote:
Or possibly the England cricket team left it before heading out to Aus - just the kind of thing Pietersen would write.  On second thoughts that would be "I am the most dominant cricketer in the history of the world." Whistle Run 
Laugh 

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri 15 Nov - 8:50

"AB's Most Dominant Team in the History of the World"
Phooey.
You can't say that until you play my club here in Jersey.  Not only are we pretty handy on the pitch, we are pretty terrific hosts and practise feverishly(!) to ensure we are the only ones left standing in the apres Rugby affaires.  If you can survive us, then we can negotiate titles.  Otherwise all you do is play Rugby.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by tigerleghorn Fri 15 Nov - 9:16

doctor_grey wrote:"AB's Most Dominant Team in the History of the World"
Phooey.
You can't say that until you play my club here in Jersey.  Not only are we pretty handy on the pitch, we are pretty terrific hosts and practise feverishly(!) to ensure we are the only ones left standing in the apres Rugby affaires.  If you can survive us, then we can negotiate titles.  Otherwise all you do is play Rugby.
Hi Doc, what's the Rugby scene like there? I ask because my brother lives in Darien CT but works in Parsippany.

He's got a strong expat social life in CT but I'm sure he'd be interested in something near work. His wife still has an apartment in Brooklyn which isn't too far away.

tigerleghorn

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Fri 15 Nov - 9:23

Yep, apparently an English journalist allowed into the NZ team room, saw some scrawlings on a white board and instead of asking what they meant he betrayed all trust and privilege provided to him by misreporting it in a stir up story.

Shag is in the NZ herald this morning talking about it briefly - how from now on English journos won't be let near the All Blacks is the gist. Sad really they'll just write more uneducated predictable crap about the Haka and choking in world cups.

In actual fact the message was that unless NZ wanted to wake up on Sunday with the daily mail printing that kind of nonsense headline about England - they'd better win.

""When there's a breach of trust by you guys it's always disappointing because we're trying to work together. It's no big deal. I just wish he'd asked me what it all meant because what he wrote didn't make sense.''
"
http://m.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11157834

Besides which Lancaster is in the Bbc saying the exact same thing this morning, to hedge his position in the event of a loss.

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Fri 15 Nov - 13:33

GloriousEmpire wrote:Yep, apparently an English journalist allowed into the NZ team room, saw some scrawlings on a white board and instead of asking what they meant he betrayed all trust and privilege provided to him by misreporting it in a stir up story.

Shag is in the NZ herald this morning talking about it briefly - how from now on English journos won't be let near the All Blacks is the gist. Sad really they'll just write more uneducated predictable crap about the Haka and choking in world cups.

In actual fact the message was that unless NZ wanted to wake up on Sunday with the daily mail printing that kind of nonsense headline about England - they'd better win.

""When there's a breach of trust by you guys it's always disappointing because we're trying to work together. It's no big deal. I just wish he'd asked me what it all meant because what he wrote didn't make sense.''
"

Besides which Lancaster is in the Bbc saying the exact same thing this morning, to hedge his position in the event of a loss.
well if thats the case then hansen is really a bit dim. good rugby coach, but maybe he should leave the PR exercises to someone with a bit of experience? you invite a DM journo into your room where that is written on the whiteboard picard and are surprised when the tabloid runs with a tabloid-style headline? picard 

i don't think the statement is particularly true, but thats irrelevant, it wasnt meant for public consumption or to be challenged, it was for motivation.

still, bit silly to leave it up there when the journos are invited in. schoolboy PR mistake.

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmyinthewell68 Fri 15 Nov - 13:46

dominatrix tend to dress all in black . why would you let any journalist in your changing room

jimmyinthewell68

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 15 Nov - 13:51

tigerleghorn wrote:
Phooey.
Hi Doc, what's the Rugby scene like there? I ask because my brother lives in Darien CT but works in Parsippany.

He's got a strong expat social life in CT but I'm sure he'd be interested in something near work. His wife still has an apartment in Brooklyn which isn't too far away.
Is it true that Jersey natives automatically qualify to play for all of England, Scotland, Wales and the Irish team and can choose?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Fri 15 Nov - 13:58

quinsforever wrote:
GloriousEmpire wrote:Yep, apparently an English journalist allowed into the NZ team room, saw some scrawlings on a white board and instead of asking what they meant he betrayed all trust and privilege provided to him by misreporting it in a stir up story.

"

well if thats the case then hansen is really a bit dim. good rugby coach, but maybe he should leave the PR exercises to someone with a bit of experience? you invite a DM journo into your room where that is written on the whiteboard picard and are surprised when the tabloid runs with a tabloid-style headline? picard 

i don't think the statement is particularly true, but thats irrelevant, it wasnt meant for public consumption or to be challenged, it was for motivation.

still, bit silly to leave it up there when the journos are invited in. schoolboy PR mistake.
Plausible deniability. I think perhaps he got his message out.

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri 15 Nov - 14:00

tigerleghorn wrote:
Phooey.

Your bro works is Parsippany, NJ?  No kidding,.
I know there is Rugby in Danbury, CT, but don't rremember their name.  Connecticut Greys is a good group and thay are based in Milford, CT (I think) and a few New York City clubs who are quite good.  Is he A team caliber or Old Boys material?   All is good.
There is a Brooklyn Rugby club.  I don't have their particulars, but I can get the info if you wish.  

Last edited by doctor_grey on Fri 15 Nov - 14:40; edited 1 time in total

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 15 Nov - 14:02

The New Zealand Ambassador should be called in to Downing Street for a dressing down! On English soil too???

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Fri 15 Nov - 14:27

"

The English journalist was very polite about it. He was heard to say "Kia ora, Kia pai tō rā "before heading for the exit.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Fri 15 Nov - 14:41

It's too orangey for crows...

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by tigerleghorn Fri 15 Nov - 18:25

GunsGerms wrote:
tigerleghorn wrote:
Phooey.

Is it true that Jersey natives automatically qualify to play for all of England, Scotland, Wales and the Irish team and can choose?
Hi Guns, we're talking about NEW Jersey mate

tigerleghorn

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 15 Nov - 18:26

Never heard so much nonsense in my life- Only a handful of teams play this game..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by tigerleghorn Fri 15 Nov - 18:33

doctor_grey wrote:
tigerleghorn wrote:
Phooey.

Your bro works is Parsippany, NJ?  No kidding,.
I know there is Rugby in Danbury, CT, but don't rremember their name.  Connecticut Greys is a good group and thay are based in Milford, CT (I think) and a few New York City clubs who are quite good.  Is he A team caliber or Old Boys material?   All is good.
There is a Brooklyn Rugby club.  I don't have their particulars, but I can get the info if you wish.

Doc, he's an Alicadoo mate, long past it. He might turn out for your Vets but would be best tasked improving the bars wet sales (assuming you have non domestic beers)

Like me he's a Leicestershire Tiger ( your more successful English neighbour Whistle  )in need of some Rugby culture Doc. I'll mail him your response to my post and come back to you if he wants to visit.

Thanks for your response mate.P.s

He works for Wyndham Hotels and Resorts in Parsippany NJ mate.

tigerleghorn

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri 15 Nov - 20:12

tigerleghorn wrote:He works for Wyndham Hotels and Resorts in Parsippany NJ mate.
Hey, that's where we bring our female guests............

(little joke, mate. Wyndhams are expensive)

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Engine#4 Fri 15 Nov - 20:41

Arrogant and right are not necessarily two mutually exclusive states of being. An athlete/player/team that doesn't at least privately believe itself to be the best is not and never will be. Fair play to them, a winning rather than hoping mentality goes a long way!

Engine#4

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri 15 Nov - 21:01

Engine#4 wrote:Arrogant and right are not necessarily two mutually exclusive states of being.  An athlete/player/team that doesn't at least privately believe itself to be the best is not and never will be. Fair play to them, a winning rather than hoping mentality goes a long way!
True in most cases...Arrogance is just about bragging about it, but can work in tandem with the belief to actually become the best. Ali was the best example of this. Wasnt the best fighter of all time but told everyone he was, and some believed him, and most importantly, so did he.

The post that the ABs put up on the wall, fully intended for the teams own purposes, is actually proof that theyre not arrogant. It wasnt intended for outside eyes and ears.

But internally which sportsman or women or team hasnt ever said they are the best to themselves? To get to the level they have, to be able to turn back foe after foe all across the world under different conditions, against a range of styles with such regularity must have at its centre a core belief of being unbeatable, invincible even. How can it not. As we all know the body cant go where the mind hasnt already been and in the minds of these boys...England have already been beaten, and if thats viewed by some as arrogance, complacency then I'm sorry that you don't get the concept.

Hug

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Fri 15 Nov - 22:22

welcome to twickers taylorman. this is our fortress. and even when we're poop we can still win here. why? because we believe we can. just like you said. works both ways.

it is a long way down from the dizzy heights of "most dominant team in the history of the world". if you lose, i hope your players survive the fall.

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Fri 15 Nov - 22:57

It's arrogant and it's not even true. Redgrave and Pinsent went unbeaten in every race for four years - having declared in advance that that was their plan. And I suspect there are better teams than them. But the ABs have a way to go.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 15 Nov - 22:58

Sadly Rugby Union isnt big enough for that claim. Its not about them. Its about Rugby Union..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 15 Nov - 23:02

Media making a lot of a little, methinks. The ABs are the most dominant team in world rugby, and the ABs have earned that title throughout all the years of putting all pretenders to the sword.
Maybe they are supposed to pretend to themselves that they're not as a gesture of false humility?
Anywho..how can a motivational tool be regarded as arrogance? It isn't, but the media using it as a something to mock them can also be regarded as motivational Very Happy 
This is shaping up nicely as a game with that little extra spice. Won't be as good as the Ireland v Australia game of course Whistle

Last edited by Munchkin on Fri 15 Nov - 23:10; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Fri 15 Nov - 23:02

Chinese table tennis have won 24 out of the last 28 gold medals.

Props.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Sat 16 Nov - 6:58

mystiroakey wrote:Sadly Rugby Union isnt big enough for that claim. Its not about them. Its about Rugby Union..

Mystir, I am pretty confident the ABs have more to do than compare them selves to teams of other sports ie the Spanish soccer team.

On another note, Corey Jane is saying that the English journalist copied it down wrong, it actually said " We aim to be the most dominant team in the history of the World" its a trigger mantra...

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by san Sat 16 Nov - 9:07

Most dominant team in sport?

AP McCoy and ............(insert name of horse here)

san

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Sat 16 Nov - 9:45

mystiroakey wrote:Sadly Rugby Union isnt big enough for that claim. Its not about them. Its about Rugby Union..
I'd agree. Winning every game in rugby is not the same as winning every game in football for example. Just nowhere near the standard or number of top teams.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 16 Nov - 9:49

And in football friendlies are not really needed to be won. Spain win tournies..

friendlies are for run outs and trying new players out which Spain have a history of losing, but that doesn't matter because they haven't lost an important game for 9 years!!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down