The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dragqueens v Pests LV= Cup

+3
dragon999
bedfordwelsh
Luckless Pedestrian
7 posters

Go down

Dragqueens v Pests LV= Cup Empty Dragqueens v Pests LV= Cup

Post by Guest Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:42 am

Newport Gwent Dragons Team to face London Wasps
Hallam Amos, Ashton Hewitt, Tyler Morgan, Ashley Smith, Matthew Pewtner, Steffan Jones, Jonathan Evans; Phil Price, Hugh Gustafson, Nathan Buck, Cory Hill, Robert Sidoli (c), Netani Talei, James Benjamin, Ieuan Jones.

Replacements:
Elliot Dee, Aaron Coundley, Dan Way, Joe Davies, Scott Matthews, Luc Jones, Dorian Jones, Will Harries

Backline is mostly youngsters, pack is very second string at best.

From my point of view, I am happy to see Talei start (finally) and pleased to see Steff in for Burton. I would prefer Dee get more experience over Gustafson (who I don't believe is up to regional standard as a hooker).

Be interested to see how the youngsters go. I think I am not able to watch it (due to current situation in the Phillipines), so any information on who played well would be gratefully received OK 

Back to top Go down

Dragqueens v Pests LV= Cup Empty Re: Dragqueens v Pests LV= Cup

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:02 am

Cory Hill straight into action, then. Looking forward to seeing Tyler Morgan play - see what all the fuss is about.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:02 am

Wasps team for this week:

15 - Tommy Bell
14 - Jonah Holmes
13 - Ben Jacobs
12 - Chris Bell (C)
11 - Tom Howe
10 - Joe Carlisle
9 - Jack Moates
1 - Ricky Reeves
2 - Neil Cochrane
3 - Phil Swainston
4 - Esteban Lozada
5 - James Cannon
6 - James Haskell
7 - Matt Everard
8 - Sam Jones

Replacements
16 - Carlo Festuccia
17 - Simon McIntyre
18 - Will Taylor
19 - Kearnan Myall
20 - Ed Jackson
21 - Joe Simpson
22 - Andy Goode
23 - Charlie Hayter

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:03 am

I gather Morgan made a lovely break last week, but was also at fault for one of the Scarlets tries?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:06 am

Chris Kirwan SWA wrote:HALLAM Amos returns from Wales camp to feature for Newport Gwent Dragons tomorrow lunchtime and another talented teenage speedster will join him in trying to impress against London Wasps.

Amos has spent the week training with Warren Gatland's squad ahead of their Test against Argentina and his reward for impressing is a call-up for the rest of the autumn series.

The 19-year-old full-back/wing will head back to the international set-up next week and is in the mix to make his Test debut against Tonga on Friday.

Before trying to earn a Wales spot he will slot in at full-back in the Dragons' LV= Cup encounter with Wasps (kick-off midday) and livewire wing Ashton Hewitt will make his full debut alongside him in the back three.

Wales Under-20s starlet Hewitt made his first regional appearance off the bench against the Scarlets last weekend.

And the 18-year-old, who has been in impressive form with Newport in the Premiership, will look to test their English opponents from the off at Rodney Parade.

Hewitt played in last season's Under-20s Six Nations before scoring five tries in three games on Wales Under-18s summer tour to South Africa.

"I'm really looking forward to seeing Ashton out there," said head coach Darren Edwards. "He has the ability to light up the pitch and that is a winger's number one job; they are strike runners.

"You are excited every time that Ashton gets the ball, he has huge potential and could become a real favourite here."

Flanker James Benjamin is the final member of the Dragons' Junior World Championship runners-up to make his regional bow.

The 19-year-old openside came off the bench in the summer defeat to England and follows young teammates Amos, Jack Dixon and Elliot Dee in turning out for his region.

...."James can play across the back row and has done very well through Wales age-grade rugby," said Edwards. "He is a very coachable player and now he needs to take the next step.

"It's important to have a look at him, just as it was with Scott Matthews, who did very well against the Scarlets. We have some very talented young back row players that are competing against each other."

Lock Cory Hill will make his Dragons debut after signing from Moseley while fly-half Steffan Jones and tighthead prop Nathan Buck make their first starts of the season.

Both have golden opportunities to impress – Kris Burton has not convinced as back up to first-choice 10 Jason Tovey while the region has struggled at the set piece.

Rhys Jones made his Dragons debut against the Scarlets and now it's the turn of his younger brother Dorian with the Cross Keys fly-half named among the replacements.

Wasps include former England back row forward James Haskell in their starting XV while prolific fly-half Andy Goode, a summer target of the Dragons, is among the replacements.

Dragons: H Amos, A Hewitt, T Morgan, A Smith, M Pewtner, S Jones, J Evans, P Price, H Gustafson, N Buck, R Sidoli (captain), C Hill, N Talei, J Benjamin, I Jones. Replacements: E Dee, A Coundley, D Way, J Davies, S Matthews, L Jones, D Jones, W Harries.

Wasps: T Bell, J Holmes, B Jacobs, C Bell, T Howe, J Carlisle, J Moates, R Reeves, N Cochrane, P Swainston, E Lozada, J Cannon, J Haskell, M Everard, S Jones. Replacements: C Festuccia, S McIntyre, W Taylor, K Myall, E Jackson, J Simpson, A Goode, C Hayter.

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:07 am

I don't follow the Aviva, but I'm guessing that's an 'experimental' Wasps side. It's meant to stay dry, so it could be quite an open game. Could be a chance for Steffan to dislodge Kris Burton as Tovey's understudy.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:08 am

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:I don't follow the Aviva, but I'm guessing that's an 'experimental' Wasps side. It's meant to stay dry, so it could be quite an open game. Could be a chance for Steffan to dislodge Kris Burton as Tovey's understudy.
Are you Chris Kirwan in disguise? Wink 

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:10 am

Ha, you beat me to it!

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:11 am

3-3 I read on the Argus. Two scrums, two penalties for Wasps though. Same old. I read Amos is not starting now. Wonder if that is instructions from the Wales squad, but then I guess they did release him initially. Hope he is fit, as he is likely to get some time v Tonga (I reckon).

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:26 am

6-3 now. I gather Steff Jones is doing pretty well, but Jon Evans is being somewhat sloppy.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:27 am

Chris Kirwan wrote:Dragons just edging things, looking sharper than Wasps in attack but need to get more front foot ball.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:28 am

Bit worrying to read Tyler Morgan got caught out defensively again though, before we retook the lead.

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:32 am

Risca Rev wrote:3-3 I read on the Argus. Two scrums, two penalties for Wasps though. Same old. I read Amos is not starting now. Wonder if that is instructions from the Wales squad, but then I guess they did release him initially. Hope he is fit, as he is likely to get some time v Tonga (I reckon).
Seems a bit strange to release him back if not getting gametime.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:51 am

13 - 8 to the Dragons at half time. We were pressing for a second try at the end, , but knocked on. The Dragons' right wing, Ashton something, looks dangerous in attack and has put in some cracking tackles. Talei's led from the front, Rhys Jones has been solid at full back, but Jonny Evans has had the poorest game I've ever seen him play and has gone off for Luc Jones. I didn't see Pewtner's try very well but it looked like a good finish. Wasps well on top in the scrums and scored ttheir try from a driving maul.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:52 am

20 - 8 final score. Scrappy second half, but a Wasps lock got yellow carded for taking a man out in the air and during that time the Dragons scored a cracking try, a Will Harries break in midfield and I don't know how Ashton (Lewis?) beat his man, but he did. There were also three fights where everyone piled in, but all the other side of the pitch from me. Decent crowd.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:04 am

At the game now. Lots of fights in that game. Very niggley. Sidoli was the main cause or the trouble by the looks of it!

Good result but very scrappy game.

Back to top Go down

Post by dragon999 Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:21 am

Ashton Hewitt!

dragon999

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:39 pm

Even in the days of cameras everywhere you still can't beat a good ol bit of fisty cuffs in a game to get the adrenalin going lol.

That is of course as long as they still all shake hands after the game and have a beer.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:33 pm

The fighting was all on the other side of the pitch from me unfortunately Sad It did get the crowd going though. From where I was sat it looked like it spilled over the side into the crowd/subs benches??? The referee seemed to get taken out, but I think he just lost his footing or was bumped over in the melee.

Have to disagree on the decent crowd point Luckless! We were commenting how we'd never seen it so empty! Where we now sit (in the posh seats, Bisley stand!) there were spaces everywhere. People could sit where they wanted, rather than in their allotted seat. I was able to lie down in my row with just one other person in the row! Wasn't expecting a good crowd though so wasn't surprised, but only looked around 3k to me.

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:39 pm

Griff,

I was down at the Leinster game (1st time in th Bisley Stand) and that seemd the case then with no one taking much notice of the allocated seats.

I don'tthink theres much chance of a good crowd for these games on International day given there are not many known players in the sides teams put out.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:49 pm

Oh definitely Bedford. I wasn't expecting much of a crowd. It was funny actually seeing so many people walking in the opposite direction to me on the way to the game, them on their way to the station to watch the Wales match.

Still, nice to have a daytime game for a change. Enjoyed it. Was pretty cold though - I had 4 layers on! Saw a group of men, older than me, going into RP in just shirts! Nutters.

Watched the Wales game in the clubhouse afterwards which was 'interesting'. Massive screen and projector, which was great, but the sound was so muffled we couldn't make out any of the commentary (which was fine as I don't need to hear it really). Funny though that the only piece of commentary we could make out was JD shouting 'numbahs' at one point! After the game some god awful disco started (although the Wurzels was good!) which pretty much cleared the clubhouse. Maybe that was the idea?!

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:54 pm

Good to see they at least made it an early ko so people could then watch the Welsh game.

A lot of games now take place at same time.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:24 am

Griff wrote:Have to disagree on the decent crowd point Luckless! We were commenting how we'd never seen it so empty! Where we now sit (in the posh seats, Bisley stand!) there were spaces everywhere. People could sit where they wanted, rather than in their allotted seat. I was able to lie down in my row with just one other person in the row! Wasn't expecting a good crowd though so wasn't surprised, but only looked around 3k to me.
I meant decent considering Wales were playing too. There were plenty of empty seats in the Bisley but the Hazell terrace looked well-populated. More noise over there too, as usual!

Other performances: Elliot Dee looked good when he came on, in the loose and throwing in. If Gustafson still can't throw straight then you have to ask if the experiment has failed. Cory Hill had a few good carries and is a big lump, our openside was involved in a lot, and Tyler Morgan made ground with the ball when he had it, which wasn't often.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:48 am

Ah ok, see what you mean. Yes, considering Wales was on and it was LV it wasn't so bad I suppose. 4k I've seen quoted now.

I thought the fullback kicked well at goal. Some really hard kicks sailed over. Wasn't convinced with Stefan's kicking from hand. A bit aimless at times which allowed some wasps counter attacks that luckily came to nothing. Hewitt looked good with ball in hand and pretty aggressive in defence. Deffo one for the future. Sid was everywhere but pretty knackered by the end I think.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:51 am

Just to add: I didn't see much from brand Haskell in this game. At his peak he is a very good player, but was unable to show much against basically a development team (although he was in a development team himself admittedly). Thought he'd make more of a nuisance of himself, but he seems to be performing a long way from his best.

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:53 am

LP,

I think the Gus experiement didn't even get off the ground really.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:16 pm

Heard a big brawl broke out and spilled over the stands, any truth in that?

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:04 pm

Very unusual for Dai to come out & criticise the ref after a game. I didn't see the game but it sounds as though his lack of intervention early on didn't help with what went on later.

From the Wasps site -

'Young said first and foremost that he didn’t believe his side deserved to win the game.
“First of all I think I can only say that Newport deserved to win the game.
“They were more committed today and they won the 50/50 battles and deserved the result for that reason. We didn’t help ourselves because we didn’t retain the ball well enough but things were made much harder because the game was not refereed well.
“It is not like me to come out after a match and say that but that is what happened. It was not controlled in any way well and to be honest it was a disappointment to me that it took us 50 minutes to really kick off and try and sort things out ourselves. You should never have to do that but if the referee isn’t controlling negative players or things that just shouldn’t be happening the frustration just builds up in the players.”
The game was marred by a series of scuffles, a rarity that Young says was frustrating to watch.
“The brawls that broke out – nobody likes to see that. That isn’t rugby anymore but if the game isn’t controlled properly you can almost see why it happens.”
Despite the disappointment of the opening losses in the LV=Cup, Young says his side will be positive going back into their league campaign.
“These games were about giving players opportunities as well as trying to keep momentum going. We have to put these games out of our minds now. Players know we want to be competing in the top of the game, and they know they need to stick their hands up for selection not just for the first team but for onward involvement in Wasps. I am adamant that we are going to be successful and these games are about players showing us they want to be part of that future.”
“It is disappointing to come away with two losses, and that’s probably it for us in this competition now but we’ll move forward and take the lessons from it.”

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:54 pm

The referee wasn't great, but that's not a surprise considering it was the LV. I've seen worse refereeing performances. I didn't think Wasps were particularly hard done by. I wasn't counting, but I'd say the penalty count was about even.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Impossible Standards Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:28 am

I was stood right by the one fight when the no.7 for wasps threw 2 right hooks at young Ashton Hewitt. I really hope Dai isn't insinuating that his players were as good as gold in that game because they were not. 2 punches should really be dealt with by the officials. When it wasn't I knew the game was going to get out of control. Dai is right in that the ref had no control and didn't help the situation.
Impossible Standards
Impossible Standards

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:37 am

Impossible Standards wrote:I was stood right by the one fight when the no.7 for wasps threw 2 right hooks at young Ashton Hewitt. I really hope Dai isn't insinuating that his players were as good as gold in that game because they were not. 2 punches should really be dealt with by the officials. When it wasn't I knew the game was going to get out of control. Dai is right in that the ref had no control and didn't help the situation.
I don't think Dai is saying that and from reading some of the reports from some Wasps lads who went, the aggro wasn't all one way! However, I as I said wasn't there and there are always 2 sides to the story. Bottom line is it shouldn't ever happen & does nothing to help the game or this competition.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:16 am

Our 10 got a few smacks to the head too didnt he ?
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:50 pm

I thought Steff was good in defence on Saturday. It's never going to be one of his strengths, but he was getting stuck in.

Who did he hit with a low clearing kick in the first half? That was funny, although not for whoever it hit.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:31 am

One of our centres I think...
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by dragon999 Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:37 am

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:I thought Steff was good in defence on Saturday. It's never going to be one of his strengths, but he was getting stuck in.

Who did he hit with a low clearing kick in the first half? That was funny, although not for whoever it hit.
It was Jon Evans - out for a month with a shoulder injury following the game

dragon999

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:42 am

That's not so funny. It wasn't as a result of the kick though, surely?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by dragon999 Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:38 am

No i don't think it was - Jon seems to be suffering from being second choice behind Richie,didn't have his best game before being subbed for Lyns boy

dragon999

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:41 am

He really wasn't at the races, was he? That cross kick in particular was terrible, straight down the Wasps winger's throat. It's such a shame because after last season I thought he might kick on and be in the frame for Wales. Still time for him to turn it around this season, but I was impressed with Luc Jones.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by dragon999 Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:23 am

I hope Jon fights for the jersey as it can only help us kick on having guys fighting to get the starting shirt - Luc did well, with all this good news & young players coming through things are starting to look a lot better!

dragon999

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:40 pm

We're still poor in the scrum. The only side I think we've had the upper hand over this season is Zebre. If we could persuade Rhodri Jones to jump ship from the Scarlets, that would be a coup. He's not even playing in the Pro12 at the moment, so the promise of regional rugby might turn his head.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:52 am

Sam Jones named LV=Cup Breakthrough Act for Round 2

For the second successive week, a London Wasps player is named as one of the breakthrough acts in the LV= Cup with Sam Jones winning the accolade for round two of the competition.

Despite his side’s defeat at the hands of Newport Gwent Dragons, Sam Jones is one player who can hold his head high with his performance.
The number 8 made 17 tackles in Wales and this total was beaten by only one other player across the whole weekend. One of those tackles brought a turnover for his side as well.
In attack he made eight carries for 25 metres and the only other Wasps forward to manage more hit-ups was James Haskell. Jones also won ball at two lineouts for his side.
His match stats were as follows:
Carries – 8
Metres – 25
Tackles – 17
Defenders Beaten – 1
Turnovers won – 1
Lineouts won – 1

Joining Jones, Holmes and Round One nominee Harry Thacker is the top metre-maker of Round Two, Saracens' Ben Ransom.
Launched in September 2011, the LV= Breakthrough Player Award is designed to recognise the wealth of impressive young talent on show in the competition.
Two players from each round, along with two 'wildcard' players, who have strong overall competition statistics; compiled by Opta, will form a shortlist which will be submitted to a fan vote on www.lv.com/rugby. Fans will vote for the winner of the LV= Breakthrough Player Award from the end of Round Four until 9am on Monday March 10.
The winner will be announced prior to the LV=Cup Final and LV= will donate £1,000 to a grassroots rugby initiative of the winner's choice.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down