The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Current Region Support [Worst case scenario]

+7
Stone Motif
Welsh Magician
doctornickolas
ScarletSpiderman
Kingshu
XR
QuickBall
11 posters

Go down

Current Region Support [Worst case scenario] Empty Current Region Support [Worst case scenario]

Post by QuickBall Mon 18 Nov 2013, 10:37 am

I've been thinking for a while how much support the regions currently have, and where would they be supporter wise should the worse case scenario happen with the current European Competition shambles.

Worse case scenario:
The regions break ranks with the WRU and tries going alone in entering the RCC without WRU approval.

Speculation:
WRU rather sharply announces the creation of three/four new regions catering for all of Wales including the north, also announcing central contracts. Further more announce that any current players playing for the breakaway regions will not be considered for welsh selection, and the new regions will replace the current four in the Pro12. The only ray of light foreseeable is entry into an expanded English Premiership with the possibility of relegation.

Would you walk away from the four teams and rally behind one of the new teams under control of the WRU?

OR

Would you remain loyal to the current four teams?
QuickBall
QuickBall

Back to top Go down

Current Region Support [Worst case scenario] Empty Re: Current Region Support [Worst case scenario]

Post by XR Mon 18 Nov 2013, 10:47 am

remain loyal, for me. i'm from cardiff and they were my club when i was younger and now they're my region.

XR

Back to top Go down

Current Region Support [Worst case scenario] Empty Re: Current Region Support [Worst case scenario]

Post by Kingshu Mon 18 Nov 2013, 11:14 am

If the above did happen I can't see the WRU saying the current players couldn't play for Wales, as the regions have their contracts and the players wouldn't have a choice of playing for the new or old regions. However they may state that players renewing or signing new contracts with the breakaway regions, could limit their Wales chances.

Personally I can't see four new teams getting the support needed.

In first few years you would have 4 new teams without any history, competing (for fans) with the 4 regions with their history (some of them are the clubs history). If the new teams started getting to the final or winning the H-cup they may be able to compete with the regions, but in the long run everyone would lose out as Wales would not have the supporter numbers to keep 8 teams going, and in the war of attraction for fans all 8 would suffer with no winners.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon 18 Nov 2013, 12:50 pm

QuickBall wrote:..WRU rather sharply announces the creation of three/four new regions catering for all of Wales including the north, also announcing central contracts.  Further more announce that any current players playing for the breakaway regions will not be considered for welsh selection, and the new regions will replace the current four in the Pro12.
I am not too sure that this is a real-world option. There are numerous players contracted to the regions, like Toby Faletau, and as such the WRU would not be able to centrally contract them without buying them from the regions, which would not be cheap as the regions would but a heft price tag on their heads. So the WRU would have to spend a fortune to buy these players and then a fortune to pay them too, as well as having to fill the remaining places in the new squads with other players, who will be of a decent enough standard. On top of that the four new mini-union sides would have to find coaches (as the regional coaches are under contract), and facilities etc. Yes there are facilities available in the prem, and coaches there too, but they are not up to grade really. So in order to even be semi competitive the WRU would need to buy in coaches and build facilities/grounds etc. And I could keep adding to the list of expenses that would have to be spent before a single fan/curious person had walked through the turnstiles.

However if this went ahead, I think it would depend on how the mini-union sides were set up. If the West-mini-union side was set up in the west (Pembrokeshire/Carmarthenshire/Ceridigion) then I would be tempted to follow the West-Wales-Mini-Union side, but if it was set up (as we all know it would be) in Swansea then I would join the rebellion along with the current regions.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by doctornickolas Mon 18 Nov 2013, 2:12 pm

The current regions just could not survive without WRU money and I think they are clinging to some misguided assumption that the English premiership will make room for them. They are being played by PRL and they are too stupid to see it. In the meantime they are once again biting the hand that feeds it.

The sooner the WRU sets up 4 proper regions the better, and the would have my full support.

It should cover the whole of Wales not just 4 cities/towns. In my opinion they would also be far more successful in their own right. They would be properly marketed, foreigners limited and a proper structure like Ireland's could be set up.

The current 'regions' have always disenfranchised anyone who is not from Llanelli, Swansea, Cardiff or Newport and there are loads of people who would love to follow a region but will not do so because of the shambles that is the current set up.

A North Wales region would get tremendous support as we have seen whenever any rugby has been played at Colwyn Bay.

The current regions all struggle to get about 6,000 paying punters through the gates without giving away loads of free tickets and 2 for 1 type incentives.

Bring it on I say.

doctornickolas

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Mon 18 Nov 2013, 2:20 pm

Do you think that one of the main fears the RRW have of central contract is that it would make it easier for the WRU to do away with the regions.

In the above example, if the WRU had central contracts for the international players, it would be far easier to set up new regions, and place the international players with them.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by Welsh Magician Mon 18 Nov 2013, 5:12 pm

doctornickolas wrote:The current regions just could not survive without WRU money and I think they are clinging to some misguided assumption that the English premiership will make room for them. They are being played by PRL and they are too stupid to see it. In the meantime they are once again biting the hand that feeds it.

The sooner the WRU sets up 4 proper regions the better, and the would have my full support.

It should cover the whole of Wales not just 4 cities/towns. In my opinion they would also be far more successful in their own right. They would be properly marketed, foreigners limited and a proper structure like Ireland's could be set up.

The current 'regions' have always disenfranchised anyone who is not from Llanelli, Swansea, Cardiff or Newport and there are loads of people who would love to follow a region but will not do so because of the shambles that is the current set up.

A North Wales region would get tremendous support as we have seen whenever any rugby has been played at Colwyn Bay.

The current regions all struggle to get about 6,000 paying punters through the gates without giving away loads of free tickets and 2 for 1 type incentives.

Bring it on I say.  
Did you even read what you typed? Most of it you just made up in the hope of saying it loud enough that people will believe you.

Welsh Magician

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Mon 18 Nov 2013, 10:35 pm

Welsh Magician wrote:
doctornickolas wrote:The current regions just could not survive without WRU money and I think they are clinging to some misguided assumption that the English premiership will make room for them. They are being played by PRL and they are too stupid to see it. In the meantime they are once again biting the hand that feeds it.

Bring it on I say.  
Did you even read what you typed? Most of it you just made up in the hope of saying it loud enough that people will believe you.
Like that parasite Rog, he must think his precious Wubbelyou R Rog can run four regions on less than they generate now, minus those willing, rich and daft enough to finance the whole shebango and the majority of those willing, rich and daft enough to cough up for tickets week-in, week-out, plus build or upgrade four new regional stadia Unfortunately the dwindling numbers of Team Wales fans also think the same as this silly sod, probably. Chris Kirwan has it right in the Argus, as per:

http://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/sport/columnists/10808604.CHRIS_KIRWAN_SAYS__Apathy__about_regional_player_drain_is_killing_Welsh_rugby/
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Tue 19 Nov 2013, 5:59 pm

"WRU's Roger Lewis leads south east Wales city region board"
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-25005435

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Sun 24 Nov 2013, 9:54 pm

The bulk of the money the Regions get from the WRU, is money that is collected by the WRU on behalf of the Regions. Sponsorship and competition moneys from the Rabo, LV and Heineken competitions that the Regions play in and TV fees for the Regional matches that are televised. They also get an allowance for providing the WRU with greater level of access to the players than required under IRB rules.

If the Regions break away, then all of this money will stay with the Regions, I suspect also that the Regions will want to renegotiate the payments they receive for players on international duty.

Whilst the relationship between the Regions and the WRU is probably at an all time low, hardly surprisingly when you see how poorly they are treated by the WRU. The Regions have not said that they will side with the English in this row over the next European competitions. What they have said is that they will be happy to play in that competition if its the Euro competition next season. Because without the income from Europe professional rugby in Wales cannot survive!

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sun 24 Nov 2013, 10:22 pm

If the Regions break away there won't be any money as there will be no Pro12. There is no way the WRU would approve with the regions breaking away in which case they would have to go outside of union. The English clubs are not going to do that (for at 3 years due to contract with RFU). They could maybe go with the French teams if they go but O really can't see it happening.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 25 Nov 2013, 9:52 am

HammerofThunor wrote:If the Regions break away there won't be any money as there will be no Pro12. There is no way the WRU would approve with the regions breaking away in which case they would have to go outside of union. The English clubs are not going to do that (for at 3 years due to contract with RFU). They could maybe go with the French teams if they go but O really can't see it happening.
Is that the Big O, or Karen O from the Yeah Yeah Yeahs?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Mon 25 Nov 2013, 9:59 am

Karen O

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 25 Nov 2013, 10:12 am

I think she's right.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Mon 25 Nov 2013, 10:40 am

She always is...she always is.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down