The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Reffing again

+5
butterfingers
glamorganalun
The Saint
munkian
TJ
9 posters

Go down

Reffing again Empty Reffing again

Post by TJ Thu 21 Nov 2013, 10:40 am

Lets hear it for the refs in the last round of AIs. I thought all were good. I particularly like the refs actions in the Fiji / Italy game. Not afraid to use the cards. threatened a red card but quite rightly did not use it as there had been a long period of non dangerous tackles as he said quite clearly.

good use of the replays with refs taking a decision on what they saw on the screen. I think the refs are getting used to this now.

Its almost impossible to ref a game perfectly but these guys are coming close. Well done to the refs.

TJ

Back to top Go down

Reffing again Empty Re: Reffing again

Post by munkian Thu 21 Nov 2013, 10:50 am

Reffing again 1347041234 
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Thu 21 Nov 2013, 12:27 pm

No one? Quick to criticise refs but slow to praise them?

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Thu 21 Nov 2013, 12:34 pm

Praise? That depends. Some of us have another round or two to go. The ref who officiated the France v Samoa games also took the necessary action agaisnt foul/dangerous play. Let's hope he continues this into tomorrow night's game.

So far it seems all ref's have been good. They've been ten times better than what he had in last year's series.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Thu 21 Nov 2013, 9:27 pm

Eng v Aus ref and line judges, toes on the touch line, forward passes and knock on's, did they have an impact on the result, yes. Did the officials have a good game, if you are not English no.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by butterfingers Thu 21 Nov 2013, 9:42 pm

glamorganalun wrote:Eng v Aus ref and line judges, toes on the touch line, forward passes and knock on's, did they have an impact on the result, yes. Did the officials have a good game, if you are not English no.
There have been feet in touch, knock ons in scoring plays, offsides, and foul play, not to mention reffing teams struggling to comunicate, disputes and coaches questioning all sorts...

But as long as they keep checking the replay on the screen!

butterfingers

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Thu 21 Nov 2013, 9:53 pm

The officials in the ENG V Aus games normally ref in the RABO so I was not shocked they only reffed one side they do it in most games, even the Irish think they are poor.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Thu 21 Nov 2013, 10:00 pm

I meant just the last weekends games - the previous weeks have been done to death. No glaring mistakes I saw this weekend

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Thu 21 Nov 2013, 10:13 pm

Fair enough, big improvement in the games I saw.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Thu 21 Nov 2013, 10:21 pm

Just a comment:

What are your thoughts given the significant difference in the number penalties and cards handed to visiting sides vs the home side in most games this November?

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Thu 21 Nov 2013, 10:46 pm

I haven't counted them but you would usually expect the home side to get less penalties and cards

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu 21 Nov 2013, 11:04 pm

I think they've generally done a good job :claps:
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Thu 21 Nov 2013, 11:36 pm

TJ wrote:I haven't counted them but you would usually expect the home side to get less penalties and cards
It's the general trend.

SA vs Scotland Double the penalties and a man in the bin for 10 minutes
SA vs Wales About 1/3 - 1/2 more penalties and an additional man in the bin

NZ vs England About 1/4 - 1/3 more penalties and a man in the bin
NZ vs France About double the penalties

Australia vs Ireland  About 2 and 1/2 times the penalties a yellow and red card.
Australia vs Italy About 1 1/2 time the penalties
Australia vs England About 1 1/2 times the penalties

* Penalties = Penalties and Free kicks based on match stats from ESPN.

I don't think it was the same down south

e.g.
2012 Irish tour: 1 1/2 times penalty count to NZ in the first test. Card advantage to Ireland second and card advantage to NZ in third.

2013 France tour: 1 1/2 advantage to NZ first test, more than double penalty advantage to France second test, and card advantage to NZ last test.

2013 Lions tour 1 1/2 penalty advantage to Australia 1st test, 1 1/3 penalty advantage Lions second test, 1 1/4 penalty advantage to Lions 3rd test.

Or even last year up north

2012 NZ Northern tour. Close penalty counts, NZ down men in 2 games and up one in another.

To be sure I'd have to do more work. There's obviously more to refereeing than a straight count (e.g. when, where, what, what wasn't, the impact). But, my feeling is that the penalty count for the home sides is strong this Autumn. I can't help but wonder if that influences how people feel.

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Fri 22 Nov 2013, 12:04 am

For the most part, they've been good, but Leighton Hodges was disgraceful when officiating the Italy v Fiji match. He yellow carded four Fijian players in the space of eight minutes, and another one later in the match:
https://youtu.be/wU9VZYesObQ?t=32m43s - Failing to put the tackled player back on the ground safely.
https://youtu.be/wU9VZYesObQ?t=37m57s - Tackling with a swinging arm
https://youtu.be/wU9VZYesObQ?t=40m42s - Dangerous tackle
https://youtu.be/wU9VZYesObQ?t=45m36s - Deliberate knock-on
https://youtu.be/wU9VZYesObQ?t=1h31m10s - Tackling off the ball.

I'd argue that while all of these are penalties, only the fourth could reasonably be argued to be a yellow card, and even then it was very soft.

The FRU have now made a complaint to the IRB about Hodges' conduct, and in my opinion they are right to do so.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Fri 22 Nov 2013, 1:19 am

The first one seems a bit harsh. He held him in the air dangerously, but put him down safely by the looks of it. The yellow card early on was intended to set a precedent I guess, which obviously didn't register with Fiji. We usually criticise refs for not issuing more cards for foul/dangerous play when somebody is already in the bin, now it seems we're criticising for issuing too many. If it was Wales with the five yellow cards everybody would be saying how completely justified they were Whistle. Fiji should look at addressing their dangerous play instead of complaining to the IRB. I think the IRB will back each and every one of Hodge's decisions. If you want to see joke yellow cards look at the two Wales received versus Argentina.

Can a ref not give a red to a player already on a yellow, due to a 'change in behaviour'?

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Fri 22 Nov 2013, 1:42 am

If it was Wales. The press would be up in arms. The IRB would probably publicly sanction the referee, who would then retire, the penalties would be rescinded and the offences removed from the record, a documentary would be made, and old men would talk about in 50 years time. Whistle

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Fri 22 Nov 2013, 2:30 am

blackcanelion wrote:If it was Wales. The press would be up in arms. The IRB would probably publicly sanction the referee, who would then retire, the penalties would be rescinded and the offences removed from the record, a documentary would be made, and old men would talk about in 50 years time. Whistle
Whereas the All Blacks would just take it in their stride and blame it on the ref having a cold.thumbsup 

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Fri 22 Nov 2013, 4:42 am

If we lost by 2 pts and had 5 players carded I'm sure everyone would hear about it. We'd be crying blue murder. I doubt we'd get much sympathy. I think it's fair enough the Fijians are asking the question.

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down