The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dr Flucking Who!

+8
JuliusHMarx
david lee
The Fourth Lion
Hoggy_Bear
Enforcer
Rowley
TRUSSMAN66
Luckless Pedestrian
12 posters

Go down

Dr Flucking Who! Empty Dr Flucking Who!

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 21 Nov 2013, 12:39 pm

I don't think I've ever seen so many trailers, nor heard so much gushing self-congratulatory praise, for a programme as I have over the last few weeks for Dr Who. The latest radio trailer had a contributor saying that the programme was 'part of the DNA of British society.'

B0llocks! Big hairy b0llocks! It's a kids' show! If it was that good, it wouldn't have been off air for so many years! I can't wait 'til this 50th anniversary 'special' is shown, so (fingers f*cking crossed) I won't have to hear about it all the time!

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Dr Flucking Who! Empty Re: Dr Flucking Who!

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 21 Nov 2013, 12:47 pm

Brightside.......If you take your own life you won't have to worry about the 50th anniversary.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 21 Nov 2013, 12:50 pm

Trussman, do you listen to / watch the BBC often? Almost every trailer is Dr Who-themed.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 21 Nov 2013, 2:10 pm

I'm with Luckless on this one. I think it's balls. I watched it back when Tom Baker was the Dr and then watched about half an episode when Eccleston took over. It featured some woman talking about defeating aliens by farting!!!!

Got a mate who is obsessed with the show (the same bi-polar lad who loves Indiana Jones, Bond and Jack Bauer and basically everyone who isn't a dull tedious little man with nothing exciting in his life) He even bought a Sonic Screwdriver for himself. I want to punch him in the head every time he rubs his hands to gether and says "Just bought Torchwood on DvD, the wife and I are going to spend our anniversary in front of the TV" Dr WHo may very well be part of British Culture but I'm sorry to say that, much like Coronation Street, whilst lots of people enjoy it, I think it's drivel.

The only thing MORE tedious that this Dr Who love-in is all the people w@nking themselves stupid over the return of the Monty Python team. Could't give a **** about it. A couple of funny lines and the rest of self congratulatory hogwash.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 21 Nov 2013, 2:19 pm

I don't like the show, because of this I won't watch it.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 21 Nov 2013, 2:26 pm

What annoys me most, apart from the sugestion that it's a key part of British culture, is that they're trying to give it respectability it doesn't deserve. Like there was a show with Dr Brian Cox looking at the time travel and all that b0llocks. For me, Dr Who is no more 'significant' than Rentaghost.

On Monty Python, I love Life of Brian, but the bits I've seen of Flying Circus didn't make me laugh at all.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Enforcer Thu 21 Nov 2013, 2:27 pm

Rowley wrote:I don't like the show, because of this I won't watch it.
That seems like a disproportionate response to something that you don't like.

Enforcer
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 21 Nov 2013, 2:27 pm

Enforcer wrote:
Rowley wrote:I don't like the show, because of this I won't watch it.
That seems like a disproportionate response to something that you don't like.
That's how I roll. There is no middle ground with me.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoggy_Bear Thu 21 Nov 2013, 2:30 pm

Must admit that I quite liked Dr. Who as a kid, and was looking forward to seeing it come back but, after watching Christopher Eccleston's portrayal of the Dr., which seemed to consist of manic gurning, running around and shouting a lot (a characterisation that appears to also have been adopted by both David Tennant and Matt Smith, from the snippetsd I've seen), I gave up.
Maybe I'm missing something or, perhaps, I'm just too old for it now.

Hoggy_Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by The Fourth Lion Fri 22 Nov 2013, 6:08 am

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:I don't think I've ever seen so many trailers, nor heard so much gushing self-congratulatory praise, for a programme as I have over the last few weeks for Dr Who. The latest radio trailer had a contributor saying that the programme was 'part of the DNA of British society.'

B0llocks! Big hairy b0llocks! It's a kids' show! If it was that good, it wouldn't have been off air for so many years! I can't wait 'til this 50th anniversary 'special' is shown, so (fingers f*cking crossed) I won't have to hear about it all the time!
So, you don't like it, then..?

Actually, I have a lot of sympathy with your point of view.  This is the BBC in all self-promotion overload, a bit similar to what they do with Children in Need (a charity I contribute to,heartily endorse, and have performed ridiculous stunts to raise money for in the past, but get weary of by the time the event actually gets here) every year.

I remember the first episode of Doctor Who (which, incidentally, was aired the day after JFK was assassinated, an event the BBC doesn't seem to consider worthy of a similar level of commemoration) and became an instant addict.  It truly was compulsory viewing back then, but as the years rolled by, I grew out of it and when it went into it's Peter Davidson / Colin Baker / Sylvester McCoy slough that was enough for me.

Since it found its' updated format and has become popular again, the BBC has, frankly, kicked the arse out of it.  Torchwood, for goodness sake.  Apart from being an anagram of Doctor Who, what's it all about..?

Like Pudsey Bear and all the hype that goes with that, I'll be glad when this is all over, although I'm sure Auntie will no doubt realise this commemorative shtick can soak up hours of the scheduling on the cheap and we will get 55th anniversary specials..... 60th anniversary...... and so on.  

If I thought that being dead by the time the 100th anniversary special comes up would get me off the hook of having to endure any more of this hype, I think I'm going to be sorely disappointed.
The Fourth Lion
The Fourth Lion

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 22 Nov 2013, 7:58 am

Don't get me wrong, I know that Dr Who is a very popular programme; but considering that those who like the show tend to be passionate followers, surely the Beeb should need fewer trailers, not more? After a week, you're not telling anyone anything they don't already know.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by david lee Fri 22 Nov 2013, 9:33 am

doctor who is sad

david lee

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri 22 Nov 2013, 9:46 am

david lee wrote:doctor who is sad
Why, what happened?

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 22 Nov 2013, 10:12 am

Someone guessed his name.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 22 Nov 2013, 10:18 am

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:Don't get me wrong, I know that Dr Who is a very popular programme; but considering that those who like the show tend to be passionate followers, surely the Beeb should need fewer trailers, not more? After a week, you're not telling anyone anything they don't already know.
With SKy and cable opposition.........The BBC can't be sure everybody will see the trailers and also no good company should be happy with the current customer quota they should look for more.......

Could be worse kid.......You might have to watch Titanic about ten times a year........

Pity there weren't any daleks on that........Could have killed DiCaprio earlier and done us all a favor !!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Fri 22 Nov 2013, 10:37 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
Luckless Pedestrian wrote:Don't get me wrong, I know that Dr Who is a very popular programme; but considering that those who like the show tend to be passionate followers, surely the Beeb should need fewer trailers, not more? After a week, you're not telling anyone anything they don't already know.
With SKy and cable opposition.........The BBC can't be sure everybody will see the trailers and also no good company should be happy with the current customer quota they should look for more.......

Could be worse kid.......You might have to watch Titanic about ten times a year........

Pity there weren't any daleks on that........Could have killed DiCaprio earlier and done us all a favor !!
Ahh Titanic....

I was rooting for the water.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by The Fourth Lion Fri 22 Nov 2013, 7:25 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

Cause and effect, old pip. You have to be watching the BBC in the first place in order to see the trailers, in which case it is probable that you're already aware of the Doctor Who thingy so the whole wretched thing is only preaching to the converted.

If you prefer to watch Sky and Cable, then it doesn't matter how often Auntie shows the trailers, you're not going to see them.

Surely, if they want their trailer to lure Sky and Cable viewers to the Beeb, the only way they could do that would be to advertise on their competitors channels. And wouldn't that be a waste of licence fee payers taxes.!!
The Fourth Lion
The Fourth Lion

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Mon 25 Nov 2013, 11:03 am

too young to remember dr who the first time around, being a big sci fi fan i thought id give it a go when it came back to see what all the fuss was about. lasted two episodes and thought what the hell is this crap!! one episode the baddies were manikin dolls, seriously manikin dolls!! what the hell could they do! at least the old old dr who had a reason for rubbish baddies, they didn't have the technology. not sure what the excuse of the newer versions is

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Sat 14 Dec 2013, 7:10 am

Good shout Lucky. Not to fussed on Dr who tbh, but the beeb do love to kick the arse out of something they think is essential to our daily lives. Reminds me of the BBC ramming The Office down our throats for years, reveling in it and declaring Gervias and Marchant to be comedy demi gods. Despite the fact they're just awful.
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Sat 14 Dec 2013, 7:43 am

How do you feel about only fools and horses? That got the same treatment.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum