The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best Grand Slam Matches of 2013 - according to Luvsports!

+8
kingraf
CAS
hawkeye
Haddie-nuff
HM Murdock
Danny_1982
naxroy
LuvSports!
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Best Grand Slam Matches of 2013 - according to Luvsports! Empty Best Grand Slam Matches of 2013 - according to Luvsports!

Post by LuvSports! Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:24 pm

1) Djokovic vs Wawrinka: 1-6 7-5 6-4 6-7(5) 12-10 - Aus Open 4th round.
It had everything!!! Hands down the best match of the year.
Irrestible shot making from Wawrinka in tandem with the warrior Djokovic's never say die attitude. Best match I've seen in many a year.

2) Djokovic vs Del Potro: 7-5 4-6 7-6(2) 6-7(6) 6-3 - Wimbledon Semi Final.
Reaffirmed that the Tower of Tandil can once again mix it with the big boys at the tail end of a GS.
Unrelenting power from the Argentine mixed with the suppleness of Djoko, a gripping encounter that was a joy to watch!

3) Wawrinka vs Gasquet: 6-7(5) 4-6 6-4 7-5 8-6 - French Open 4th round.
A delectable feast of single handed backhands!
A stunning comeback from Stan against an inspired gasquet, determined to reach the QF for the first time since 07 and backed by a vociferous home support.

4) Brown vs Hewitt: 6-4 6-4 6-7 6-2 - Wimbledon 2nd round.
The craziest, most unpredictable and enjoyable match courtesy of the easy going jamaican with german efficiency, the dreadlocked sensation Dustin Brown.
Serve and volley, tweeners, dive volleys, booming ground strokes and much much more. It doesn't need to be a match between the top players or a 5 setter!

5) Monfils vs Dolgopolov 6-7 7-6 6-3 6-3 - Aus Open 1st round.
Loved the contrast in styles. The outrageous shotmaking from dolgo and the unreal athleticism of monfils who is the epitome of a tennis showman. Bravo!

This won't be a popular list as I expect people will be thinking, "how on earth was the rafa nole FO open match not included?"
Well because for me small portions of that match was good and exciting but long spates just werent.
Maybe the Murray feds match may be included, nadal djokovic at the FO, murray verdasco Wimby or any other big four matches. Just not for me.

Over to you, thoughts?

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Best Grand Slam Matches of 2013 - according to Luvsports! Empty Re: Best Grand Slam Matches of 2013 - according to Luvsports!

Post by naxroy Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:01 pm

nadal djokovic roland garros semifinal would be one of the top 5 for me

naxroy

Back to top Go down

Best Grand Slam Matches of 2013 - according to Luvsports! Empty Re: Best Grand Slam Matches of 2013 - according to Luvsports!

Post by LuvSports! Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:16 pm

what would your top 5 be?

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:30 pm

Agree with your number 1 and number 2. Two phenomenally good matches, and I agree the Stan v Novak AO match is the pick of the bunch. Astounding stuff. When Stan is on it he is very entertaining to watch.

3 - Nadal v Djokovic (FO)
I thought the first 4 sets were good, but the 5th set was tremendous. Novak within touching distance of the most prized scalp (Rafa at RG) but also within touching distance of the net! Then court-wateredgate... The off court action was almost as good as the forehands and backhands.

4 - Murray v Federer
In truth, Murray had the upper hand for a lot of this match, but Federer's fight and a sprinkling of the magic only he can produce made the match go the distance. Murray played this match very aggressively too and there was even a spat, which is always great fun.

5 - Murray v Verdasco
This is a little biased, as I'm sure a lot would argue that the Nole v Stan USO match (as well as others) had more quality. But whilst the play was up and down for spells, the drama was epic. Murray at one stage 5 points from going out, coming back from the dead in an incredible centre court atmosphere.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:47 pm

Great choices, especially Brown v Hewitt. Often overlooked but was such a fun match to watch.

I also agree about Nole v Rafa at RG. It had a very exciting conclusion but there were parts of it where Novak was downright poor. I'm amazed he got that close to the win because Rafa was so much better on the day.

A match I really enjoyed was Williams v Lisicki at Wimbledon!

Best match overall  for me was Djoko v Del Po at Wimbledon.

Highest level overall were the 2nd and 3rd sets of USO. Novak hitting 2011 levels and Rafa going with him!

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:51 pm

I was spot on then! Wink
I bet the ATP will put the Nadal Djoko FO one at the top.

CHeers Murdoch, glad you agree are nadal novak Smile.

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:59 pm

Apart from my all time favourite that of Nadal V Federer final at Wimbledon 2008
It has to be Australian Open Nadal v Verdasco Semi Final

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:06 pm

2013 haddie Wink

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:31 pm

oooooooooo silly Billy Rolling Eyes Doh 

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:35 pm

So how about for 2013?

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:46 pm

Yes I agree it has to be Novak/Rafa RG Smile

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:44 pm

The biggest match in 2013 was the 2013 Nadal/Djokovic semi. Some of the play may have been a bit nervy but in the circumstances both players should be given credit for being able to hold their rackets without shaking let alone hit the ball as well as they did. The after shocks of this match are still being felt...

The US Open final between Nadal and Djokovic was also very high quality in terms of play and drama. How did Nadal win that third set with a score that completely hides the reality of the battle? I have no idea and this is after re-watching it. But compared to the FO match it had little resting on it.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:48 pm

It's a shame Nadal Djokovic cant play each other 5 times in slams ey HE? Wink

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:46 am

^ Well personally I would still prefer to watch Nadal/Federer but sadly they didn't meet in the slams this year.

Nadal and Djokovic are by far the two best players this year and so that is the clash that most people and not just me would like to see. It would be fun if a new player could really challenge them for the top positions but until that happens the contest to be the best is between them. We should all be a little grateful that there is at least a bit of a contest to watch...

Luvsports. When I first read your article and you asked for our thoughts I was going to be a little naughty and give my thoughts on what your list said about you... But I thought better of it Wink

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:51 am

A slam final had "little resting on it" Laugh 

I reckon next year the French open should be renamed "The French Grail" and the other 3 slams demoted to masters.

Wimbledon's days of being the most prestigious title are officially over!

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:20 am

Danny_1982

I did say compared to the French Open. Of course it was important but both players already had a title there. Anyway I listed it as my second favorite match and you didn't even put this match in your top five so it's odd to criticize me for not placing it first.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by CAS Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:50 am

Federer vs Tsonga QF Australian Open was intense, both players played full on attack. Probably my favourite, neither player wanted to stand back and let the other dictate

CAS

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:49 am

Nadal vs Djokovic USO final made for remarkable viewing. Simply remarkable that two players base levels can be so high.

Murray vs Djokovic SW19 2012 - I'm a huge fan of the psychology of sport, and this was one of those matches where the climax is in the anti-climax, you were waiting for Djokovic to turn up, and he never did. Its a bit like waiting for your date, and getting more anxious the later the clock got. There's an excitement there.

Jo-Willy vs Federer RG - Pretty much sold me a dummy, this match. At the time I thought, it was Tsonga's eureka moment, guess not, but I loved watching the match.

Sarkhovsky vs Federer Wimbledon 2013 - An absolute shocker. Federer was simply out-played by a lower ranked player on his hallowed lawn. Like watching a miracle take place. Think Sergey hit one unforced error in the fourth set?
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:23 am

I also think Novak v Delpo at Wimbledon was an really entertaining match until Delpo was overcome in the last set.. but nailbiting stuff and incredible tennis I have to say

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:03 am

My thoughts are I agree with the top 2 and disagree with the rest.

Mine would be:

1) Djokovic v Wawrinka AO13
2) Djokovic v Del Potro Wim13
3) Murray v Federer AO13
4) Djokovic v Nadal FO13
5) Gasquet v Raonic US13

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:21 am

Interesting that most people's top matches feature Novak. I recall that being the case in 11 and 12 too.

Does that mean he's a great fighter who can go the distance to fashion a win when he is not at his best?

Or does it mean he keeps getting himself in trouble in matches that other top players would be more ruthless in?

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:45 am

I think it means he is a quality player who has the reserves to absorb people's best games and still match them. Look no further than Wawrinka. Twice he showed up against Djokovic in the Slams and ran him close producing his best stuff and still couldn't see Djokovic off. Look at how he demolished Murray compared with how close he ran Djokovic. Shows the gulf in class.

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:49 am

HM Murdoch wrote:Interesting that most people's top matches feature Novak. I recall that being the case in 11 and 12 too.

Does that mean he's a great fighter who can go the distance to fashion a win when he is not at his best?

Or does it mean he keeps getting himself in trouble in matches that other top players would be more ruthless in?
No it means 9 cases out of 10 he is playing Rafa Wink 

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:03 pm

hawkeye wrote:Danny_1982

I did say compared to the French Open. Of course it was important but both players already had a title there. Anyway I listed it as my second favorite match and you didn't even put this match in your top five so it's odd to criticize me for not placing it first.
What has that match not being in my top 5 got to do with you devaluing every title that isn't the French Open? Laugh 

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:10 pm

HM Murdoch wrote:Interesting that most people's top matches feature Novak. I recall that being the case in 11 and 12 too.

He's a great fighter who can go the distance, when he's playing his best or not. He is in my opinion the most likely to be involved in a great match of all the top players. Even if someone hits a purple patch (like Stan or Delpo) Novak fights and chases and scrambles and finds a way. It's terrific to watch.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:04 pm

1. Novak v Stan (Oz Open)

2. Stakhovsky v Federer (Wim)

3. Wawrinka v Gasquet (FO)

4. Rafa v Novak (FO)

5. Murray v Federer (Oz)

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:21 pm

Danny_1982 wrote:
hawkeye wrote:Danny_1982

What has that match not being in my top 5 got to do with you devaluing every title that isn't the French Open? Laugh 
There are reasons why the French Open is so important now but I remember when it was Wimbledon that was "The holy grail" Sigh...

We had a dominant number one who even at a young age was considered to be one of the greatest of all time. Just like Nadal on Clay Federer was at his imperial best on grass and was pretty much owning Wimbledon in the same way that Nadal owns the French Open. There was just one thorn in his side in the shape of Nadal but everyone said Nadal was rubbish on grass and so his ownership of Wimbledon was considered secure. But despite being "rubbish" he somehow got to the final in 2006 and gave Federer a scare then got to the final again in 2007 (despite everything!) and frightened Federer so much that he lost the plot... Nadal perhaps should really have won that match. What is forgotten is that at the time the 2007 Wimbledon final was considered as one of if not the best ever matches. Wimbledon had become the holy grail in a similar way to the French Open today. Federer and Nadal played quite a few times between the 2007 and 2008 Wimbledon's but it was all just sparring in preparation for the battle that really mattered... Sigh.

It's not often that sporting contests have such a meaningful context. More often than not it's just someone winning and someone losing.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:07 pm

hawkeye wrote:^ Well personally I would still prefer to watch Nadal/Federer but sadly they didn't meet in the slams this year.

Nadal and Djokovic are by far the two best players this year and so that is the clash that most people and not just me would like to see. It would be fun if a new player could really challenge them for the top positions but until that happens the contest to be the best is between them. We should all be a little grateful that there is at least a bit of a contest to watch...

Luvsports. When I first read your article and you asked for our thoughts I was going to be a little naughty and give my thoughts on what your list said about you... But I thought better of it Wink
Yes HE, good attacking, risk taking, shot making tennis. Not defensive, marathon like slug fests Smile

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:10 pm

Wimbledon is still the most prestigious by far.

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:42 pm

LuvSports! wrote:Wimbledon is still the most prestigious by far.
Definitely LS. Regardless of who the current champion is, or last years, or ten years ago...

It is the tournament.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:55 pm

In order of prestige for me it goes Wimby, close for US then FO and then Aus.

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:01 pm

While I suppose Wimbledon is still the "holy grail", I'd be surprised if beating Nadal at RG isn't seen as the premier challenge on tour. In fact I'd be very worried if it wasn't
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:04 pm

Yes its certainly the toughest task in tennis but when he's gone the FO still won't be the most prestigious, still 3rd for me.

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:31 pm

KR - beating Rafa at RG is without doubt the toughest challenge on tour. It might even be the toughest challenge in tennis history!

It's certainly the one Novak would choose to win if he could only win one more slam, but that shouldn't detract from the honour of winning any other slam. In particular Wimbledon. I know you're not saying that though, to be fair.

I agree with LS order of prestige for the slams, though I could also see why some people might put FO second and USO third. If we're going to chuck this 'holy grail' phrase around then it belongs to the lush grass of London. It will always be the premier tennis tournament.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:42 pm

My point, Danny, is that while Wimbledon will long remain the premier tournament in Tennis, it's not far-fetched imo to suggest that A victory at RG is currently the most sought after prize in the sport.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:55 pm

For Novak or for all tennis players?

For Novak certainly, but not for everyone. Not in my opinion anyway. If you said to, I don't know, Wawrinka that he could have 1 trophy... You think he'd pick RG over Wimbledon? I very much doubt it.

But the bit I disagree with most is that the RG battle (between 2 players) in any detracts from the focus, prestige, importance of winning any of the other slams.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:03 pm

If you asked Wawrinka if hed rather win Wimbledon or beat Rafa en route to a RG triumph, I struggle to believe he'd pick the former. (he could of course, might ask him on Twitter and hope for an answer). The second part of your post is a view I don't hold.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:12 pm

I'm not really a fan of grading the slams.

I get that Wimbledon, as the oldest, captures the imagination in a unique way.

But each slam is the same competitors, the same format, the same difficulty to win. The achievement is the same.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:51 pm

Yes, and it's for those reasons that I think players would choose Wimbledon if they could win only one... Although a French player would choose RG, an American US open... Etc.

But at the same time I agree a slam is a slam. When they come around all the top guys do all they can to win them. I don't think any of them think "I'm not really going to give it my all because it's not my favourite" or "this isn't my holy grail so I'm not fully invested".

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:21 pm

HM Murdoch wrote:

But each slam is the same competitors, the same format, the same difficulty to win.
Not true! Each slam may have the same competitors and the same format but the French Open has been owned by one of the greatest players of all time for an entire tennis generation. Trying to "de throne" him is the biggest challenge in tennis. Over the past 9 years the other slams have been won by a variety of players and the dream of winning them is seen as attainable by many. This is reflected in their bold talk and favorable odds. The French Open is different and instead most players aspire to "doing well" because they know all too well that the task of lifting the trophy is highly unlikely unless they get lucky because of the virtually unmovable object in their way. Only one player dares to dream but by his own admission that dream has left him mentally scarred... It remains the tennis equivalent of the holy grail Very Happy

Danny_1982 wrote:I think players would choose Wimbledon if they could win only one...
The battle for the holy grail is about more than winning just one! It is the battle to be the best, to own everything, to beat everyone... It's a battle that only two players have the credentials to even take part. Although at the moment one of these is just a pretender Cool Wink

Another player does have a certain honorary status but he needed a little help...

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:32 pm

heard it all before, yada yada yada.

HE dont wimp out and not say what you think about my picks, do it. Don't be afraid Smile

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:45 pm

The French open may be Novak's holy grail, one which I hope he achieves by the way, but it's not for anyone else. No matter how much you try and claim otherwise.

Keep trying though HE. Its fun to listen to.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:48 am

HE, you do make me laugh!

That's such an easy argument to flip. If that all time great player has won 8 RG but no more than 2 of another, it must mean that RG is the easiest slam for him to win!

I'll agree with you in one respect though. Winning RG and beating Rafa en route must be the toughest challenge of this era. Nobody has managed it yet and you'd have to think that only one player has a fighting chance of achieving it before Rafa declines.

I'd also add if Novak were to achieve that, he'd have beaten Rafa in the final of all 4 slams. That would be a colossal achievement.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:33 am

Beating Rafa at RG is surely the biggest challenge of any era Murdoch. I haven't researched it, but I doubt anyone has such a record at one slam. It's ridiculous.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:40 pm

Sampras at Wimbledon is close - he won 7 out of 8 between 93 and 00.

But I have to agree, in raw statistics, it doesn't get any tougher than Rafa at RG.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:49 pm

Yes Pete's record isn't too shabby. He finished with 7 Wimbledon defeats though. I doubt Rafa will finish with anywhere near that many.

Especially as he seems to control whether the court gets watered or not.... Run 

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:11 pm

that was funny. but remember the Grail rule - he who owns the grail makes the rules.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:26 pm

kingraf wrote:that was funny. but remember the Grail rule - he who owns the grail makes the rules.
If Novak wins, I'll expect the FO to become an indoor hard court event then!Wink 

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:28 pm

KR - very true Laugh 

I hear Murray will be choosing the grass type and length at SW19 next year. And Novak will once again be ordering feathers to be dropped from the sky in Melbourne whenever he's in trouble.

Those damn controlling grail owners...

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:34 pm

Actually... Am I allowed to call the other ones grails?

Has HE managed to get the other slams demoted to masters events yet?

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next