The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cleveland irons.

+4
shclaff
raycastleunited
super_realist
beninho
8 posters

Go down

Cleveland irons. Empty Cleveland irons.

Post by beninho Wed 27 Nov 2013, 7:01 pm

In the process of getting some new irons. Have been to the local AG range a few times had a look and a hit on Some within my£300 budget. Anyway tonight I was hitting Cleveland black pearl cg7. And they where really nice and more consistent then all the others. And 4-pw only £229. So thinking of these, but before I jump in does anyone know much about Cleveland or about these clubs?? Thanks

beninho

Back to top Go down

Cleveland irons. Empty Re: Cleveland irons.

Post by super_realist Wed 27 Nov 2013, 7:08 pm

Ben, I've used Cleveland wedges for years and also in the black pearl finish. Although I've never used the main irons, the black pearl finish does start to look old quite quickly, and a brand new wedge after a dozen rounds can look a couple of years old. Worth knowing if you are fussy about the looks of your clubs.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Wed 27 Nov 2013, 7:39 pm

To be fair I've been playing with same old battered up Nike clubs I keep in my car for years now so the look isn't something I overly fuss over. I only play 12/15 games a year anyway. I'm also looking to get two Cleveland wedges aswell to go with the set aswell. Sw/gw or sw/60 yet to decide.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Wed 27 Nov 2013, 8:02 pm

Which AG is it Ben? Some have launch monitor so you can easily compare clubs.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Wed 27 Nov 2013, 8:09 pm

Polish war memorial off the A40. Going back on Saturday with the wife and her credit card...she's going to get the irons as an Xmas gift..I'm going to get the 2 wedges myself. It's brilliant when you marry up in the world!!

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by shclaff Wed 27 Nov 2013, 8:12 pm

Ben, I've used these irons for 3 years. They were the first set I bought after getting into golf. I rate them highly, they look relatively compact (compared to some other cavity irons) but are very forgiving. I must admit, I bought them purely because I liked the black pearl finish, however I would certainly recommend them.

Super has a point, the finish does start to look old quite quickly, but I like the slightly worn look as well.

Cleveland are a top manufacturer, known for their wedges primarily, but they make good quality stuff.

shclaff

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Thu 28 Nov 2013, 8:19 am

Ben I don't think you can go wrong with Cleveland kit, especially in Europe. They are marketed differently around the world, but now owned by a Japanese Sports business which includes Dunlop and Srixon. In Europe they are being pushed on their own but use all the tools from Srixon to do it. R&D gets sorted well and they have plenty of pro's on the books from all the tours. They do nice bats all the way through the range so get good value for money and because they have links into Myazaki they get some of the lightest, tightest shafts around. Sounds like a bargain but make sure you get some practice time before diving in, as these clubs will be with you for a few years, so make sure your happy

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Thu 28 Nov 2013, 11:14 am

Earlier this year I got the forged 588 cavity backed cleveland irons (KBS Tour stiff shafts). Love them. Look good, play well, feel lovely when hit properly and a great ball flight. I think a very good bit of kit.

Got some rotex wedges (couple of cavity and a traditional one) too which I prefer to the Vokey SM4 I had last year (although that may in part be due to the sole/bounce of the Clevelands suiting my game/course better).

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Thu 28 Nov 2013, 1:18 pm

Sounds pretty positive about Cleveland. I have checked some reviews online, and while pretty old, they all seem to be quite good. Yep it seems the black will gradually rub away, but nothing i have read says it looks horrendous. I have seen a newer model, but cannot really tell the difference, and therefore cannot see the point in shelling an extra £40. So I think i will go with these, and get the extra wedges aswell.

Fair play to the guy in the store, he was honest with me that i seemed to be more consistent with these compared to the others i tried, even though they are the cheapest of the ones i hit.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 28 Nov 2013, 1:23 pm

Careful with the wedges though, there aren't many situations where a 60 is that useful.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Thu 28 Nov 2013, 1:40 pm

I am not good enough to even attempt a 60! Ill get the SW and GW equivalents.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 28 Nov 2013, 1:41 pm

A lot of people have a PW, 52 and 56/58 Ben.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Thu 28 Nov 2013, 1:54 pm

Seems the CG15 are in 52 and 56. The set comes with a PW. So This should do. I hope to have a game next weekend, so it depends on whether the Wife starts the old, Not allowed them until Christmas rubbish!!

On another note, ive never been one for cleaning my clubs, but we got a steam cleaner earlier this year, that should be fine to clean them shouldnt it?

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Thu 28 Nov 2013, 1:56 pm

beninho wrote:I am not good enough to even attempt a 60! Ill get the SW and GW equivalents.
yes you are Ben. Believe in yourself.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Thu 28 Nov 2013, 2:07 pm

I had my irons bent 1 deg stronger (to help smooth distance gaps from my hybrid and for a lower ball flight rather than any macho claims over how far I can hit each iron!) and this meant that 50/54/58 wedge lofts suited me best. 

I do find I use my 58 for touch shots way more than I used my Vokey 60 (which was only ever once or twice a round) while the 50 is easier for little low runners (and better for full chat approaches) than my old 52 was. while the 54 is either for full swing 100 yarders and very good at the mid distance knock downs whereas I'd previously try and adapt my 56 to be jack of all trades from about 90 yards in. Shots are much more spread across each of the 3 wedges than my old ones where I ended up trying to make the 56 do too much. Although I guess maybe my game might have moved on too. Either way, worth thinking about it and getting the right blend to suit what you need them for.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Thu 28 Nov 2013, 2:08 pm

We borrowed a steam cleaner (the X5 for all you afficionados out there) and the wire brush attachment was great for the grooves and cavity bits. Easy, quick and good way of doing it OK

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 28 Nov 2013, 3:12 pm

Soap, a nail brush and water is more than adequate for cleaning clubs.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Thu 28 Nov 2013, 3:15 pm

It absolutely is super, but a steam cleaner is easier and quicker and kind of allows blokes to use a gadget for no real reason.

Wouldn't buy one for the purpose though!

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 28 Nov 2013, 3:17 pm

Ah, but when you are lovingly cleaning them in the sink you can give them a team talk too.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Thu 28 Nov 2013, 3:17 pm

The steam cleaner is pretty good, it looks good from a distance as the Wife cleans the bathroom and kitchen with it. It ends up sparkling.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Thu 28 Nov 2013, 3:27 pm

Still can, it just has to be a little bit louder and in the garage. Plus you can bribe them  and tell them that if they are good at the weekend they'll get another steam spa treatment.

Erm.

Probably.

At least, that might be something someone might possibly do.

If they were mental.

Not me, no, I didn't do that.

Pampering and sweet talking a 7 iron?

Definitely not me.

No sir.

Ooh look at that out of the window!

Run

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by lorus59 Thu 28 Nov 2013, 3:36 pm

It makes me wonder at what playing level do you have to be that different irons make a difference. I think at my low standard of play, even the best irons in the world wouldn't make any difference to my game at all.

lorus59

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Thu 28 Nov 2013, 4:36 pm

Ah but the best irons in the world for you would.

zen 

It's horses for courses. If you stood over an iron that just fits your eye the self confidence would likely mean you'd probably be appreciably better than over one you think is ugly, cumbersome or maybe seems to point the wrong way in your hand.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Thu 28 Nov 2013, 6:30 pm

Just having a look around and can find the same club's on onlinegolf for £199..quick call to AG and have knocked off an extra £30.... may put that towards a new putter.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down