The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Europa League

+2
Adam D
Black Squirrel
6 posters

Go down

Europa League Empty Europa League

Post by Black Squirrel Tue 17 May 2011, 9:48 am

With Harry Redknapp openly admitting he doesn't want to qualify for the Europa League, Kenny Dalgliesh far from committed to the idea of qualifying for it, and now Brede Hangelaand stating that he's rather not qualify for it through the fair play league because it starts too early - isn't it time to ask what is the point in the Europa League?

This is a fairly embarrassing vote of no-confidence for the organisers from the Premier League.
Does anyone actually enjoy watching it?

Black Squirrel

Back to top Go down

Europa League Empty Re: Europa League

Post by Adam D Tue 17 May 2011, 10:20 am

I enjoy it purely from the fact its usually on free tv!

I used to prefer it when it was EUFA and Cup winners Cup - always enjoyed those European nights.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by David Tails Tue 17 May 2011, 10:26 am

I actually think it is the more exciting European competition. In the Champions League you get the same few teams getting to the final stages every time. Not so with the Europa.

David Tails

http://officerrahl.livejournal.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Squirrel Tue 17 May 2011, 10:28 am

I think those old European nights used to have a lot more atmosphere, because they were still massive teams involved due to the smaller Champions League format. When I watch the Europa League it seems completely flat.

Also - I'm willing to bet, that if Stoke make a serious go for the Europa League next season, they will find themselves in a relegation fight in the Premiership because of the Thursday/Sunday game structure and the fixture congestion. Which would be a shame.

Black Squirrel

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Tue 17 May 2011, 10:34 am

It's sad that nobody takes the competition seriously and sees it mainly as being in the way.

The Europa League should be treated as a stepping stone to bigger things, and winning it shouldn't be a booby prize. Look at Mourinho at Porto; he took it seriously, won it, built the clubs belief and then took the Champions League the season after.

I remember (not that long ago at all) when I lived in hope of a top 6 finish so I could see my team in the Uefa Cup. I wanted to be there, and so it seemed did the clubs. But I don't think it's the same for clubs anymore - it's top four or nothing.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by theundisputedY2D2 Tue 17 May 2011, 10:35 am

As a Liverpool fan I've been more concerned with finishing 5th simply because it's higher up the table rather than wanting to qualify for the Europa League.

It's a sad state of affairs when the chance of competing in a European competition is seen as an inconvenience rather than a privilege.

I think they should get rid of the league format or at the very least get rid of the Champions League teams dropping down, it's far too bloated as it is.

theundisputedY2D2

Location : Down By The Clyde, Near The SECC - You Can't Miss It!

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Tue 17 May 2011, 10:45 am

sodhat wrote:It's sad that nobody takes the competition seriously and sees it mainly as being in the way.
I think that's the way a lot of teams look at competitions until they get towards the later stages, even in Leagues 1 and 2 the Johnstone's paint trophy can be seen as an inconvenience in the early stages when you just want to focus on the league, but when you get towards the North/South quarter or semi finals teams start to believe we can win this and give our fans a trip to Wembley. I think the same could be said for Premier League clubs regarding the Carling cup. The problem they have with the Europa League is it the amount of games it results in if you get to the finals.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Tue 17 May 2011, 10:58 am

I agree that too many teams are involved, and the group stage addition is a nonsense.

At least a straight knock out cup was interesting . Every game meant something to the teams.

Perhaps having the cup winners/finalists involved is the way to go. Afterall the sides like Liverpool and Spurs who just miss top four probably don't want to be involved and want to hone their sides for a crack at the top four the season after.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down