The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golovkin's next fight.....

+8
Lance
jimdig
Seanusarrilius
kingraf
Hammersmith harrier
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
TRUSSMAN66
Boxtthis
12 posters

Go down

Golovkin's next fight..... Empty Golovkin's next fight.....

Post by Boxtthis Tue 03 Dec 2013, 5:17 pm

GGG has announced his next fight against Osumanu Adama in Monte Carlo   <------ Link

I think we can all agree that this is far from the fight we'd like to see him in. While this is the case for most, I'm inclined to cut him some slack, as he appears to be intent on staying as busy as possible. So, rather than waiting all throughout any negotiations for a decent fight, he's taking on a tune-up. I'm just thinking of the fight that way. He seems to have been experiencing extreme difficulty in securing a fight against the other beltholders. It would be a shame if he had to keep fighting stiffs.

Last edited by Boxtthis on Tue 03 Dec 2013, 5:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Golovkin's next fight..... Empty Re: Golovkin's next fight.....

Post by Guest Tue 03 Dec 2013, 5:19 pm

Bear in mind that Golovikin may end up being like Ward and seen as "too good for his own good"

He could end up one of the most avoided fighters around today.

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Tue 03 Dec 2013, 5:23 pm

Seems that way. But, at least Ward has had the chance to get to the top of his division. GGG deserves the chance to fight for MW supremacy.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 03 Dec 2013, 5:29 pm

Holmes didn't need to be undisputed to be the best............

Tune up for GGG is okay ??.........and people are moaning about Froch-JCC.........including me.

Let's have a bit of consistency.........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 03 Dec 2013, 5:32 pm

Boxtthis wrote:Seems that way. But, at least Ward has had the chance to get to the top of his division. GGG deserves the chance to fight for MW supremacy.
To do that, he's going to have to take on Martinez and you have to ask if Martinez (who surely must be nearing the end) would want to have himself a war with someone like GGG.

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Tue 03 Dec 2013, 5:37 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Holmes didn't need to be undisputed to be the best............

Tune up for GGG is okay ??.........and people are moaning about Froch-JCC.........including me.

Yes, but Holmes needed to beat some of the best. GGG hasn't even done that. He's beaten some good contenders impressively, but none of the champions.

I think this fight is far from ok, but the alternative seems to be that he fights no one. In my mind this fight is marginally better than him fighting no one. It does seem clear that GGG is facing trouble in getting opponents. Carl Froch does not have that trouble. Groves would fight him tomorrow. This is why the JCC fight is unattractive. If Martinez, or Geale, or Barker, or Sturm were all chomping at the bit to fight GGG, then this fight would rightly be derided as a joke. They aren't. The situation is completely different from that of Froch. Consistency is all well and good, but not at the expense of any appreciation of context.

Last edited by Boxtthis on Tue 03 Dec 2013, 11:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Tue 03 Dec 2013, 5:39 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
Boxtthis wrote:Seems that way. But, at least Ward has had the chance to get to the top of his division. GGG deserves the chance to fight for MW supremacy.
To do that, he's going to have to take on Martinez and you have to ask if Martinez (who surely must be nearing the end) would want to have himself a war with someone like GGG.
Exactly, he's in a catch22 to a greater extent than Ward, who at least got to fight the champions.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 03 Dec 2013, 5:44 pm

Boxtthis wrote:

Yes, but Holmes needed to beat some of the best. GGG hasn't even done that. He's beaten some good contenders impressively, but none of the champions.

I think this fight is far from ok, but the alternative seems to be that he fights no one. In my mind this fight is marginally better than him fighting no one. It does seem clear that GGG is facing trouble in getting opponents. Carl Froch does not have that trouble. Groves would fight him tomorrow. This is why the JCC fight is unattractive. If Martinez, or Geale, or Barker, or Sturm were all chomping at the bit to fight GGG, then this fight would rightly be derided as a joke. They aren't. The situation is completely different from that of Froch. Consistency is all well and good, but not at the expense of completely ignoring context.
Froch has been beaten quite handily and has been shown to be vulnerable in the extreme. Course people will fight him when they think there's a chink in the armour.

Not many seem to think that about Golovkin and whilst not many think that about the likes of Mayweather either, a fight with Floyd brings a huge payday whereas a fight with Golovkin brings a very hard night for scant reward

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Tue 03 Dec 2013, 5:47 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
Boxtthis wrote:

I think this fight is far from ok, but the alternative seems to be that he fights no one. In my mind this fight is marginally better than him fighting no one. It does seem clear that GGG is facing trouble in getting opponents. Carl Froch does not have that trouble. Groves would fight him tomorrow. This is why the JCC fight is unattractive. If Martinez, or Geale, or Barker, or Sturm were all chomping at the bit to fight GGG, then this fight would rightly be derided as a joke. They aren't. The situation is completely different from that of Froch. Consistency is all well and good, but not at the expense of completely ignoring context.
Froch has been beaten quite handily and has been shown to be vulnerable in the extreme. Course people will fight him when they think there's a chink in the armour.

Not many seem to think that about Golovkin and whilst not many think that about the likes of Mayweather either, a fight with Floyd brings a huge payday whereas a fight with Golovkin brings a very hard night for scant reward
All totally understandable and valid points. It's just so frustrating. Good fighters being unable to get an opponent is one of the most frustrating aspects of boxing.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Tue 03 Dec 2013, 6:03 pm

This guys CV is becoming a joke. Going the Calzaghe route
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Tue 03 Dec 2013, 6:17 pm

Too much slack given to Golovkin, he should be facing opponents, I cannot accept that only Macklin has been willing to face him. He needs to step up and fast.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue 03 Dec 2013, 6:21 pm

Tbh - I also can't accept that no one else would face him. I understand Maravilla not being to eager, when he can face Canelo and Cotto. But I can't reason that other top 10 fighters would rather duck than take a tax-free 500k.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue 03 Dec 2013, 6:26 pm

DAVE667 wrote:Bear in mind that Golovikin may end up being like Ward and seen as "too good for his own good"

Maybe, but money talks. He is backed by HBO, too, so he should be able to force a meaningful fight. I think as he fights so regularly, we are likely to see him in this kind of fight from time to time. But in 2014, we need to see him in a big fight. He is avoided tho, like the bubonic plague, which, ironically, found lots of people. Smile

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Tue 03 Dec 2013, 7:09 pm

Murray was who they wanted, but he turned it down and is fighting on the undercard instead.
Macklin only signed to fight on the basis that he'd be guaranteed his next fight on hbo. I doubt that kind of deal can be offered to every opponent.
Who else is there at middle weight? Geale? Options are limited at 160.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Tue 03 Dec 2013, 7:20 pm

I don't understand this obsession with sticking up for Golovkin on here. anyone can claim they are being avoided

he didn't take on Macklin and Ishida because he was being avoided. they were opportunistic fights lined up by his promoter. both guys had decent publicity for recent performances and both were easy targets. you could say that Proksa had been well found out too.

personally I don't mind the fact he is taking his time, and is looking to get money in the bank before he takes a hugely defining fight. most fighters do the same. but why do we need this spin in order to accept it?

I don't believe for a second quillin or Martinez are afraid of Golovkin. these are confident men with fighting pedigree. I guess people want to laud golovkin as un fightable rather than accept they should wait until he fights a truly world class fighter before judging him. hes powerful, hes popular, he must be amazing and being avoided! heard it so many times before on here. was the same people claiming Matthysse to be the next coming

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Tue 03 Dec 2013, 7:34 pm

Seanusarrilius wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:Bear in mind that Golovikin may end up being like Ward and seen as "too good for his own good"

Maybe, but money talks. He is backed by HBO, too, so he should be able to force a meaningful fight.
Totally agree with this. It's not that top guys won't fight him, it's that they won't fight him for the money that they'll be offered. Everyone knows GGG is a huge risk, and they want to make sure the risk is a bit more worth it. It's time for HBO to make an investment in this guy. He'll never be a big draw without big fights, but he won't get big fights without being a bigger draw.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Tue 03 Dec 2013, 7:45 pm

As I see it, the Adama fight will pale into insignificance if GGG's next fight is one of:

Martinez, Geale, Quillin, Barker/Sturm winner, Murray

If it isn't, he's starting to pull a full blown Nathan Cleverly.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue 03 Dec 2013, 7:46 pm

Boxtthis wrote:
Seanusarrilius wrote:

Maybe, but money talks. He is backed by HBO, too, so he should be able to force a meaningful fight.
Totally agree with this. It's not that top guys won't fight him, it's that they won't fight him for the money that they'll be offered. Everyone knows GGG is a huge risk, and they want to make sure the risk is a bit more worth it. It's time for HBO to make an investment in this guy. He'll never be a big draw without big fights, but he won't get big fights without being a bigger draw.
He is also 31. He can't ride out his prime in Monaco too long or his talent will suffer. Quillin is on Showtime so no dice there. Martinez would not take it at this point. Barker would, but not for less than mad money. Just give him a mill and he'll get in

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Tue 03 Dec 2013, 7:50 pm

Seanusarrilius wrote:
Boxtthis wrote:
Seanusarrilius wrote:

He is also 31. He can't ride out his prime in Monaco too long or his talent will suffer. Quillin is on Showtime so no dice there. Martinez would not take it at this point. Barker would, but not for less than mad money. Just give him a mill and he'll get in
That's what it's going to take I think. Time for HBO to back their man up.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue 03 Dec 2013, 8:00 pm

Boxtthis wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:
Boxtthis wrote:

All totally understandable and valid points. It's just so frustrating. Good fighters being unable to get an opponent is one of the most frustrating aspects of boxing.
That's the problem with boxing being virtually lawless in 2013 -- GGG can't put himself into a number one contender position and wait for his shot unless his promoters pay for it.

What else did he have available to him? No-one wants to fight the man -- which is perfectly understandable -- yet he can't force the issue unless his promoter decides to give his opponent's the lion's share of the purse and have GGG fight for peanuts.

As someone said previously, this fight is better than no fight and let's face it, he'll be out another 3-4 times next year. He's an active fighter.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Tue 03 Dec 2013, 8:10 pm

Also hbo aren't covering the Monte Carlo fight.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 03 Dec 2013, 8:25 pm

I don't think it's fanciful to say that Golovkin, by hook or crook, is being avoided by a few parties at all. I appreciate that some may feel he's being given too much leeway, but it works both ways.

Why should the likes of Eddie Hearn, Lou Di Bella and Oscar De la Hoya be given a free pass or not come under scrutiny when they've as good as said they simply don't want their leading Middleweights to fight Golovkin? Hearn on multiple occasions has been asked about the enquiry made by Golovkin's people about fighting Barker. Right away, he dismissed the idea as Barker already has a fight lined up, and then possible domestic show downs with Murray and Macklin in 2014, before trying to curve the conversation away from that, talking about how he'd rather see Golovkin move up to 168 to fight Froch.

After Golovkin flattened his 'other' Middleweight in Macklin, Di Bella straight up said with regards to the possibility of Golovkin-Martinez, "I'm not saying they'll never fight, but I'm not sending a champion who is 38 years old, after a year-plus lay off, in to the ring with this guy." This is a year after saying that he's not interested in the fight as Golovkin doesn't bring the most money to the table (ironic, as both he and Martinez were forever slating Chavez Jr for using that line as an excuse to get out of facing Sergio!) and before, only a few weeks ago, saying that he'd rather put Martinez in there with Cotto and Alvarez in 2014 - and only then will he consider a Golovkin fight, if the Kazakh is still at 160.

Likewise, Golden Boy haven't been able to find it within themselves to categorically say, "Yes, we want the fight for Quillin against Golovkin." Instead, we've had a load of equivocation and clichés. Oscar said that Golovkin "needs to prove himself before getting a fight against Quillin." Come on now, Oscar.

Now let me stress, as the above outlines I think it's managers and promoters who are trying to steer their charges away from Golovkin, rather than the fighters themselves wanting to take the easy route. But I'm surprised that quite a few seem to genuinely think that there isn't some avoidance going on here. Fair to say Golovkin presents a problem that many of the major players at 160 would much rather do without, I feel.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue 03 Dec 2013, 8:41 pm

HBO won't deal with Golden Boy and so Golovkin vs Quillin isn't doable.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 03 Dec 2013, 8:49 pm

Aware of that, Haz, but you have to live in hope. If fights such as Trinidad-De la Hoya and Chavez-Whitaker were made in relatively recent times, despite being much more problematic from the outset, hope springs eternal that it won't be a permanent schism.

Not sure just how tied in with HBO Golovkin's team at K2 are, either.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Tue 03 Dec 2013, 8:52 pm

In fairness to Martinez the money fights for him are Cotto and Alverez.  Cotto and Alverez have been involved in big PPV fights that have delivered at the box office.

Golovkin is building a big reputation but compared to a proven PPV star with a big following such as Cotto he still has a way to go.  Cotto being very beatable is an extra bonus.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue 03 Dec 2013, 9:27 pm

88Chris05 wrote:Aware of that, Haz, but you have to live in hope. If fights such as Trinidad-De la Hoya and Chavez-Whitaker were made in relatively recent times, despite being much more problematic from the outset, hope springs eternal that it won't be a permanent schism.

Not sure just how tied in with HBO Golovkin's team at K2 are, either.

They made a few more bucks than GGG-Quillin would to be fair.

Plus, while Arum and King were great rivals, Arum seems to have a particular hatred towards De la Hoya. It'd really have to benefit him to work with the Golden Knucklehead.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Tue 03 Dec 2013, 10:07 pm

88Chris05 wrote:I don't think it's fanciful to say that Golovkin, by hook or crook, is being avoided by a few parties at all. I appreciate that some may feel he's being given too much leeway, but it works both ways.

Why should the likes of Eddie Hearn, Lou Di Bella and Oscar De la Hoya be given a free pass or not come under scrutiny when they've as good as said they simply don't want their leading Middleweights to fight Golovkin? Hearn on multiple occasions has been asked about the enquiry made by Golovkin's people about fighting Barker. Right away, he dismissed the idea as Barker already has a fight lined up, and then possible domestic show downs with Murray and Macklin in 2014, before trying to curve the conversation away from that, talking about how he'd rather see Golovkin move up to 168 to fight Froch.

After Golovkin flattened his 'other' Middleweight in Macklin, Di Bella straight up said with regards to the possibility of Golovkin-Martinez, "I'm not saying they'll never fight, but I'm not sending a champion who is 38 years old, after a year-plus lay off, in to the ring with this guy." This is a year after saying that he's not interested in the fight as Golovkin doesn't bring the most money to the table (ironic, as both he and Martinez were forever slating Chavez Jr for using that line as an excuse to get out of facing Sergio!) and before, only a few weeks ago, saying that he'd rather put Martinez in there with Cotto and Alvarez in 2014 - and only then will he consider a Golovkin fight, if the Kazakh is still at 160.

Likewise, Golden Boy haven't been able to find it within themselves to categorically say, "Yes, we want the fight for Quillin against Golovkin." Instead, we've had a load of equivocation and clichés. Oscar said that Golovkin "needs to prove himself before getting a fight against Quillin." Come on now, Oscar.

Now let me stress, as the above outlines I think it's managers and promoters who are trying to steer their charges away from Golovkin, rather than the fighters themselves wanting to take the easy route. But I'm surprised that quite a few seem to genuinely think that there isn't some avoidance going on here. Fair to say Golovkin presents a problem that many of the major players at 160 would much rather do without, I feel.
he could have found harder fights than Ishida and Macklin. he didn't want to. hes as happy taking easy money as the rest of them are. don't forget golovkins team turned down a fight offer from sturm not so long ago

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 03 Dec 2013, 10:24 pm

The way that Hearn talks about other promoters talking about Golovkin he paints a pretty good picture that he genuinely seems to think every promoter is sh1t scared of pitting there man in against Golovkin.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Tue 03 Dec 2013, 10:38 pm

Lance wrote:
88Chris05 wrote:I don't think it's fanciful to say that Golovkin, by hook or crook, is being avoided by a few parties at all. I appreciate that some may feel he's being given too much leeway, but it works both ways.

he could have found harder fights than Ishida and Macklin. he didn't want to. hes as happy taking easy money as the rest of them are. don't forget golovkins team turned down a fight offer from sturm not so long ago
I think it's six of one and half a dozen of the other, Golovkin wants the fights but he's team are willing to stump up the cash prospective opponents want, were the money right all the big men would face him.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Tue 03 Dec 2013, 11:40 pm

I think golovkin is going in the right direction at a patient pace. him fighting ishida was similar to alvaro fighting lopez. he wants to earn as much easy money as he can before stepping up. makes perfect sense. quillin and barker want to make as much money from their belts as they can too.

golovkin looks like an excellent prospect to me. I think he beats quillin and barker, but hes happy to take his time. its his fans that want to believe something different and hes happy to feed them the avoided tag in order to help justify his overmatched opponents.

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Wed 04 Dec 2013, 4:46 pm

A world champion should NOT be called a prospect.....
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Wed 04 Dec 2013, 6:36 pm

well a prospect for being a pound for pound superstar as hes touted to be. granted hes already very successful as far as most boxers go. but I don't think hes achieved as much as many claim he has yet. I think he might do, but hes in no hurry.

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down