The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MILLENNIUM STADIUM PUMPS MILLIONS INTO ECONOMY

+6
fa0019
GloriousEmpire
whocares
doctor_grey
Geordie
maestegmafia
10 posters

Go down

MILLENNIUM STADIUM PUMPS MILLIONS INTO ECONOMY Empty MILLENNIUM STADIUM PUMPS MILLIONS INTO ECONOMY

Post by maestegmafia Thu 05 Dec 2013, 10:07 am

MILLENNIUM STADIUM PUMPS MILLIONS INTO ECONOMY

First Minister Carwyn Jones and WRU Group Chief Executive Roger Lewis are both impressed by the impact of the Millennium Stadium.An independent report into the economic impact of the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff, Wales, has revealed that it generates more than £130million a year for the city and nation and sustains more than 2,500 permanent jobs.

The report carried out by Econactive Ltd for the Welsh Rugby Union [WRU] concluded that the financial benefits delivered by events at the Stadium are highly significant within the context of Welsh tourism.

The results of the report were unveiled today by First Minister Carwyn Jones at the Event Wales International Conference in Cardiff.

He highlighted the importance of government, local authorities and sporting organisations working to aligned strategies which attract and promote the biggest and best events to Wales.

First Minister, Carwyn Jones, said: "I'm delighted to announce these figures today during the second Event Wales International Conference. This thought provoking report reiterates the importance of major events to the economic development and regeneration of host cities and regions and demonstrates the part played by the Millennium Stadium in achieving this.

"The stadium is a key component of what Wales has to offer as a host of major events. The stadium has set its sights on attracting high profile events of global importance which have attracted more visitors from outside Wales.

We look forward to working with the Millennium Stadium as we continue to expand on our exciting portfolio of events which showcases Wales as a contemporary and dynamic nation."

Econactive concluded the Millennium Stadium is able to provide and sustain this wider benefit at a time when other attractions are facing significant challenges including a decline in visitor numbers.

The report found that some 70% of the visitor spend was non-local in origin which represented a significant additional impact on the Welsh economy.

The Stadium attracts around 770,000 paying visitors each year to the main events such as international rugby and rock music concerts and more than 50,000 people visit the venue annually for guided tours.

The report highlights an increase in economic impact from a similar study by Econactive published in 2007 which concluded that the Stadium then delivered £100million a year into the Welsh economy and sustained 2,400 jobs.

The new report stated that visitor numbers are expected to be bolstered in the years ahead with Heineken Cup Finals in 2014 and 2016 along with eight Rugby World Cup games in 2015. The research found that a significant factor in the Stadium's success has been the ability of the WRU to secure more events which attract people from outside the local population in Wales.

Econactive's research indicates that more than a quarter of visits to the Stadium will involve people from outside the immediate geographical area. That represents an off-site spend across the period from 2006 - 2016 of around £850million with over half that figure accounted for by visitors staying overnight in Wales.

The average spend per head of visitors from Wales was £54 with that rising to £195 for UK visitors and £370 for overseas visitors.

During the ten year period covered by the report, it is estimated that more than two million visits to the Stadium will be by non-local people.

WRU Group Chief Executive, Roger Lewis, said: "This report confirms the huge value of the Millennium Stadium to the wider economy and to Wales.

"Major events at the stadium are invariably seen around the world on television screens and the people who travel to Wales to watch make an important impact on the Welsh economy.

"We commissioned this report to show the significance of the Stadium and the activities of the Welsh Rugby Union to Wales and we are determined to work hard to ensure we sustain the level of activity that delivers this long term benefit to us all.

"This is why we constantly strive to work closely with local authorities, particularly Cardiff County Council and the Welsh Government to align our strategies and do the very best we can for Wales."

Dr Calvin Jones of Econactive, said: "There is no doubt from our findings that the Millennium Stadium delivers an important impact on the wider economy of Cardiff and Wales.

"It is common knowledge that major sporting events offer significant financial impact on the communities where they occur but the Millennium Stadium has the added benefit of being a city-centre, multi-event stadium.

"There is a combination of factors at work in that the Welsh Rugby Union continues to attract major sporting and non sporting events of real impact and the hospitality sector outside the stadium has adapted well to exploit the opportunities they offer.

"The number of visitors from outside Wales who attend events at the Stadium and contribute to the economy represent a key factor which enhances the income levels which are outlined in this report."

http://www.wru.co.uk/eng/thewru/economic_report.php

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

MILLENNIUM STADIUM PUMPS MILLIONS INTO ECONOMY Empty Re: MILLENNIUM STADIUM PUMPS MILLIONS INTO ECONOMY

Post by Geordie Thu 05 Dec 2013, 10:14 am

I think the Welsh need to be comended on that stadium.

Was it £250m to build..if my memory serves me right, and seemed to go up in very quick time...compared to the farcical rebuild of Wembley which which far exceeded deadlines and costs.

It is a great stadium.

Last edited by GeordieFalcon on Thu 05 Dec 2013, 10:14 am; edited 1 time in total

Geordie

Back to top Go down

MILLENNIUM STADIUM PUMPS MILLIONS INTO ECONOMY Empty Re: MILLENNIUM STADIUM PUMPS MILLIONS INTO ECONOMY

Post by doctor_grey Thu 05 Dec 2013, 10:14 am

Always nice to read good news.

But this can't be much of a surprise? In fact, MS seems underused to me.
In the US, the building of a new stadium is always justified by the economic impact on the local community, not just for the primary parties. These things are massive income generators if done right. And, clearly, MS was done right.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 05 Dec 2013, 10:17 am

Sports Calendar for 2014 so far at the MS

01 Feb 14 WALES V ITALY
21 Feb 14 WALES V FRANCE
15 Mar 14 WALES V SCOTLAND
20 Apr 14 JUDGEMENT DAY
23 May 14 AMLIN CHALLENGE CUP FINAL
24 May 14 HEINEKEN CUP FINAL
12 Jul 14 FIM SPEEDWAY GRAND PRIX

Plus a Baa Baas match and four autumn internationals, then there are all the bands that play gigs at the stadium. Its used quite well.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Thu 05 Dec 2013, 10:32 am

Sustaining 2500 permanent jobs seems massive. who is included in that list though? from the guy who sell burgers in front of the stadium to the gardener?

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Thu 05 Dec 2013, 10:34 am

2,500 permanent jobs? and not one guy who knows how to grow grass? that seems like an oversight.

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Thu 05 Dec 2013, 10:44 am

GloriousEmpire wrote:2,500 permanent jobs? and not one guy who knows how to grow grass? that seems like an oversight.
Blame the architect. You got more chance of growing grass on the moon then at the MS with its high vertical walls. Also blame the green-eyed monster WRU board who wanted to squeeze in another 5-10k seats (which never get filled anyhow) meaning the stadium can only reach its required no. of seats by cutting out all the sunlight to the pitch.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by doctornickolas Thu 05 Dec 2013, 10:45 am

GeordieFalcon wrote:I think the Welsh need to be comended on that stadium.

Was it £250m to build..if my memory serves me right, and seemed to go up in very quick time...compared to the farcical rebuild of Wembley which which far exceeded deadlines and costs.

It is a great stadium.

What if I told you it only cost £121m to build due to it being a fixed price contract. Would it seem like a bargain?

doctornickolas

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 05 Dec 2013, 10:49 am

maestegmafia wrote:Sports Calendar for 2014 so far at the MS

01 Feb 14 WALES V ITALY
21 Feb 14 WALES V FRANCE
20 Apr 14 JUDGEMENT DAY

Plus a Baa Baas match and four autumn internationals, then there are all the bands that play gigs at the stadium. Its used quite well.
Isn't the Amlin going to be at CCS or CAP?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 05 Dec 2013, 10:51 am

It is at Cardiff Arms Park

Back to top Go down

Post by doctornickolas Thu 05 Dec 2013, 10:56 am

Risca Rev wrote:It is at Cardiff Arms Park
It is on the millennium stadium website as one of their list of events.

doctornickolas

Back to top Go down

Post by MarcusHalberstram Thu 05 Dec 2013, 11:15 am

Surely CAP is too small for the Amlin final?

As for the MS - it's one of Wales' key assets, and its value to Cardiff and the South Wales economy cannot be overstated. Its placement in the city centre is the obvious key to its wider success. Visitors don't just come to the stadium - they spend time in the town, and tend to make a weekend of it. Obviously there's a serious turf issue that needs to be sorted out asap - and I think an artificial/semi-artificial pitch can be the only solution.

I agree with Dr Grey, though. I think the stadium is underused - at least, as far as gigs are concerned. For some reason it doesn't seem to feature consistently on the UK stadium touring circuit. It seems to only have 2-3 gigs a year (usually lowest-common denominator pop artists like Rihanna, Take That etc.) which it easily seems to fill. It doesn't seem to ever have bigger rock acts like Foo-Fighters, Muse, U2 etc. Always a mystery to me why not. I guess some may say the South Wales economy wouldn't support too many massive gigs a year, but people travel a long way for these kind of things - and if you book them they will come!

MarcusHalberstram

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 05 Dec 2013, 11:24 am

http://www.ercrugby.com/finals/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 05 Dec 2013, 11:26 am

CAP is too small in my mind. MS is probably too big as well. That's why I would've tried to used CCS again like the last time (though it was still used as the Blues ground still then).

I know U2 have played there on their 360 tour. Bands like the Foos and Muse would be class in there though, particularly with the roof closed.

Back to top Go down

Post by MarcusHalberstram Thu 05 Dec 2013, 11:50 am

I stand corrected on U2, Rev. I don't really understand why Cardiff is so under-served when it comes to big rock/indie acts though. The Motorpoint Arena is another great venue (although a little cavernous, the sound there is brilliant IMO. I saw LCD Soundsystem there a couple of years back and it sounded way better than other live gigs I've been to in mid/arena venues). Yet, just like the MS, the arena has a very sparse rock/indie gig list. Weird, since South Wales is fairly well known for producing successful rock/indie bands.

MarcusHalberstram

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 05 Dec 2013, 11:54 am

I've looked at tickets for a few gigs recently and there hasn't been any Welsh dates on quite a few tours aye. It is a little disappointing.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Thu 05 Dec 2013, 11:57 am

Risca Rev wrote:CAP is too small in my mind. MS is probably too big as well. That's why I would've tried to used CCS again like the last time (though it was still used as the Blues ground still then).

I know U2 have played there on their 360 tour. Bands like the Foos and Muse would be class in there though, particularly with the roof closed.
Strewth!

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 05 Dec 2013, 12:00 pm

Cardiff Dave wrote:
Risca Rev wrote:CAP is too small in my mind. MS is probably too big as well. That's why I would've tried to used CCS again like the last time (though it was still used as the Blues ground still then).

Strewth!
What's so bad about it? It's probably the ideal size for the Amlin

Back to top Go down

Post by MarcusHalberstram Thu 05 Dec 2013, 12:25 pm

I went to the Amlin is CSS with some Quins supporter mates who came down - it was a good venue for that - and the other finalists were Stade, who had relatively few supporters there. I think CAP is too small - especially if you had 2 home nations finalists.

MarcusHalberstram

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Thu 05 Dec 2013, 12:26 pm

Risca Rev wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:

Strewth!
What's so bad about it? It's probably the ideal size for the Amlin
Ideal size yes, but Cardiff City would benefit financially. Keep it in rugby I say.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Thu 05 Dec 2013, 12:42 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:I think the Welsh need to be comended on that stadium.

It is a great stadium.
Everything went swimmingly. Just ask John Laing.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Thu 05 Dec 2013, 6:29 pm

01 Feb 14 WALES V ITALY
21 Feb 14 WALES V FRANCE
20 Apr 14 JUDGEMENT DAY

Dude,
This is nothing. A venue like the MS should be used once per week, not once per month. Think big!

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Thu 05 Dec 2013, 6:58 pm

Out of curiosity, could they put one of those new fancy artifical pitches in for the rugby matches?
Sure just roll up the CAP pitch on a Friday and lay it down inside the MS for the big 6N and AI games.

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 05 Dec 2013, 7:26 pm

See the new thread started Bandwagon. New pitch on the way. But for the MS, not a sharing one (although I sort of like the idea!).

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 05 Dec 2013, 7:32 pm

doctor_grey wrote:

01 Feb 14 WALES V ITALY
21 Feb 14 WALES V FRANCE
20 Apr 14 JUDGEMENT DAY

Dude,
This is nothing.  A venue like the MS should be used once per week, not once per month.  Think big!
If there were enough events wanting to use it maybe they could.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 05 Dec 2013, 7:35 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
doctor_grey wrote:

01 Feb 14 WALES V ITALY
21 Feb 14 WALES V FRANCE
20 Apr 14 JUDGEMENT DAY

Dude,
This is nothing.  A venue like the MS should be used once per week, not once per month.  Think big!
If there were enough events wanting to use it maybe they could.

Don't forget the wedding fayres lads!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down