The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Max Evans assault trial

+10
mckay1402
GLove39
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
majesticimperialman
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
funnyExiledScot
Shifty
Glas a du
Schrodinger's Cat
Adam D
14 posters

Go down

Max Evans assault trial Empty Max Evans assault trial

Post by Adam D Tue 17 May 2011, 12:48 pm

A trial date has been set for Scottish Rugby International Max Evans who is accused of glassing a man in the face at an Edinburgh nightclub.

Mr Evans, 27, did not appear at Edinburgh Sheriff Court because he was in California following a surgical procedure on 12 May, his lawyer said.

Mr Evans is said to have assaulted Alasdair McCaig at Edinburgh nightclub Lulu on George Street on 1 August 2010.

Sheriff Neil MacKinnon confirmed the trial would be held on 30 May.

It is alleged that Mr McCaig was left severely injured, permanently impaired and scarred for life.

Mr Evans, who earned his first cap for Scotland against Canada in 2008 and has played for Glasgow Warriors, maintained his not guilty plea to the charge, his lawyer said.

Mr Evans, from Glasgow, had his bail continued on the conditions he does not go to Lulu Nightclub or approach or attempt to contact Mr McCaig.

Mr Evans has recently agreed terms with French rugby club Castres.

Younger brother Thom Evans, 26, who was also a Scotland player, was forced to retire from rugby last year due to a serious spinal injury.

He suffered another tragedy recently when his model and actress girlfriend Kelly Brook miscarried the baby girl they were expecting at nearly five months.

source- bbc http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-13423707

Can say I am genuinely shocked by this - didnt read or hear about it before now.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Max Evans assault trial Empty Re: Max Evans assault trial

Post by Schrodinger's Cat Tue 17 May 2011, 2:56 pm

I vaguely remember hearing about it at the time. It's always dangerous to make any assumptions about these cases. You can never rule out the possibility of mistaken identity, especially when it's a famous person who would be in the public eye anyway.

Schrodinger's Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Tue 24 May 2011, 6:10 am

There is something they have in common with Chris after all!

:run1:
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Fri 27 May 2011, 8:28 pm

You cant really be a judge because we weren't there and don't have all the facts.
Was it some drunk idiot trying to make a name for himself by going for a well known rugby player?
Or was it a well known rugby players acting as if the world revolves around him, and chatting up some lady and being obnoxious in front of her boyfriend?
It could be either or a bit of both.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Fri 27 May 2011, 9:00 pm

Or he has an actual alibi.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Fri 27 May 2011, 11:06 pm

Glas a du wrote:Or he has an actual alibi.

"It was my brother?"

Sick joke im sorry. Sad
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Sat 28 May 2011, 8:28 am

There is one more sick than that Alun which I'm ashamed just came to me. You don't have to post what comes into your head mind. Wink

I'll go for this one instead:

"I was knocking off some famous celebrity who shall remain nameless as she has taken a super-injunction out against me" ha! What would the court do then?
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sat 28 May 2011, 8:18 pm

Glas a du wrote:There is one more sick than that Alun which I'm ashamed just came to me. You don't have to post what comes into your head mind. Wink

I'll go for this one instead:

"I was knocking off some famous celebrity who shall remain nameless as she has taken a super-injunction out against me" ha! What would the court do then?

nothing... she knocks off a Liberal Democrat MP, who uses his parliamentary privilege to blow the story for him thumbsup
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 31 May 2011, 3:03 pm

I really hope there's nothing in this, and that's it's a false accusation or a case of mistaken identity. Clearly whoever did this deserves to be hit with the full force of the law, a vile offence, but selfishly from a Scottish rugby perspective, Max Evans is our most threatening back and I'd hate to lose him for the World Cup.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sat 04 Jun 2011, 8:35 am

Hopefuly it will prove to be Chris Evans and we wont have to suffer him anymore.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sat 04 Jun 2011, 8:26 pm

I have no idea if there is any truth in this, if there is any truth then it is/will be a crying shame, not only for Max Evans, but also for Scotish Rugby as surely he will get Time for this.(prison)

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon 05 Mar 2012, 3:14 pm

Not guilty: Verdict

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Mon 05 Mar 2012, 4:04 pm

Interesting article from last Friday, with some quotes from the the trial.
In the nightclub, he was “merry” through drink but knew what was happening. He was in a VIP lounge drinking champagne with a woman, Sarah Jane Bell, when someone called out: “Evans, what are you doing in Edinburgh? F*** off back to Glasgow.”

He said: “It could have been a friend just being an idiot and I turned to see who was talking to me. I did not recognise the gentleman and I just ignored it.”

Over the next 20 minutes, the man chipped in with insulting comments, such as calling Evans and his brother faggots. Evans continued to ignore him, he said. Ms Bell took his hand to lead him out of the lounge.

“He said ‘Sorry about tonight, mate. Sorry if I have been hard on you.’ It was not a sincere apology. He said, ‘I still think you and your brother are faggots’.

“I said, ‘What’s your problem?’ I think I used the word ‘p****’. He then assaulted me with his right arm … it caught me on the side of the face,” Evans said. He said he had felt threatened. “I put my hand out to push him away … to defend myself … I did not realise I had the glass in my hand.”

An earlier witness had said no-one deserved a glass in the face for verbally abusing someone, and Evans said he agreed. But he was 100 per cent certain Mr McCaig had physically assaulted him. “I know I never meant to cause Mr McCaig any harm. I was merely trying to defend myself,” he said.

Dev Kapadia, prosecuting, suggested: “You felt he had gone a step too far with his verbal abuse and in the spur of the moment the red mist came over you and you punched him.”

Evans replied: “He had not overstepped his mark verbally, he had overstepped his mark by attacking me.”

Mr Kapadia: “Whether you realised you had the glass in your hand is neither here nor there, you had formed an intention to punch him.”

Evans: “No, it was a reaction. There was no thought process to punch him.”

http://www.scotsman.com/news/scottish-news/top-stories/max_evans_trial_star_weeps_as_he_recalls_brother_s_horrific_injury_1_2150390

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Mon 05 Mar 2012, 7:23 pm

That doesn't sound good. I've been pretty drunk in my time but I reckon I would always know if I had a glass in my hand.
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 05 Mar 2012, 8:35 pm

Delighted he's been cleared. From all accounts the guy prosecuting him sounded like a total scumbag and blatantly lied when he said he'd been doing nothing wrong and Evans bottled him out the blue - all the witnesses said he'd been abusing Max all night.

Saying that, not sure I buy Max saying he didn't remember he had a bottle in his hand, but glad he's free to play and put it all behind him!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by tecphobe Mon 05 Mar 2012, 11:09 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Delighted he's been cleared. From all accounts the guy prosecuting him sounded like a total scumbag and blatantly lied when he said he'd been doing nothing wrong and Evans bottled him out the blue - all the witnesses said he'd been abusing Max all night.

Saying that, not sure I buy Max saying he didn't remember he had a bottle in his hand, but glad he's free to play and put it all behind him!

Evans sounds like the scumbag to be honest. I didn't like what the drunk guy said to me so i bottled him is the subtext. I didn't realise i had the bottle in my hand. what a load of guff.

tecphobe

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 06 Mar 2012, 8:15 am

tecphobe wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:Delighted he's been cleared. From all accounts the guy prosecuting him sounded like a total scumbag and blatantly lied when he said he'd been doing nothing wrong and Evans bottled him out the blue - all the witnesses said he'd been abusing Max all night.

Evans sounds like the scumbag to be honest. I didn't like what the drunk guy said to me so i bottled him is the subtext. I didn't realise i had the bottle in my hand. what a load of guff.
Techphobe, pls check your facts - the guy lashed out at him, as a follow up to the verbals, Evans had his right hand in his girlfriends hand and a champagne glass in his left hand, which he lashed out with to protect himself

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 06 Mar 2012, 8:19 am

Plus the papers are saying a doctor stated that the guy only suffered superficial cuts above his eye, despite the guy claiming that he had been permanently disfigured.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Tue 06 Mar 2012, 8:33 am

Sounds on a level with Haye vs Chisora.
If Steven Gerrard could be found not guilty then Evans was never in any trouble by the sounds of it.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 06 Mar 2012, 8:39 am

Juries don't throw cases out in an hour unless the circumstances were pretty cut and dried. The guy sounds like a lunatic.

For what it's worth, I've met Thom and Max a couple of times now and they really don't seem like the type for this - their whole family is incredibly nice. The brothers are extremely polite and erudiate and I have no doubts that him telling his story on the stand was more than enough for the jury.

No legal tricks - just the word of one guy against another. And the other guy sounds like he should be slapped around the ear. Figuratively, of course.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 06 Mar 2012, 8:47 am

George Carlin wrote:Juries don't throw cases out in an hour unless the circumstances were pretty cut and dried. The guy sounds like a lunatic.

Very good point.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Tue 06 Mar 2012, 8:50 am

Evans may well have not realised that he had something in his hand if it was reactionary. Surely i cant be the only person on here who has hit himself in the head with something i forgot i was in my hand when swatting away a fly?

Glad he has been cleared though, what happend to the other guy, has he also been cleared?
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Tue 06 Mar 2012, 8:52 am

eirebilly wrote:Evans may well have not realised that he had something in his hand if it was reactionary. Surely i cant be the only person on here who has hit himself in the head with something i forgot i was in my hand when swatting away a fly?

Glad he has been cleared though, what happend to the other guy, has he also been cleared?

not me - just you so far Laugh

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 06 Mar 2012, 8:52 am

It has never been mentioned whether Max was pressing charges against the other guy. I'm guessing no since he didn't really do any damage and I'd assume Max would want to just move on and forget about the whole thing.

Being cleared of all charges is probably enough of an up yours to the other guy!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Tue 06 Mar 2012, 8:54 am

Surely its happened to other as well...

All i am saying is that in the heat of the moment you are not fully aware of what you may or may not have in your hand if you are defending yourself as a reaction.

Very happy for Max
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down