The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What a great contest the HC really is

+33
Notch
rodders
GunsGerms
Standulstermen
R!skysports
asoreleftshoulder
Tramptastic
Hound of Harrow
mr-bryns-attitude
Dubbelyew L Overate
beshocked
yappysnap
Portnoy's Complaint
Welshmushroom
Comfort
Biltong
Jhamer25
Brennus
HammerofThunor
ME-109
quinsforever
stub
Shifty
whocares
Feckless Rogue
BigGee
clivemcl
Pot Hale
The Saint
LeinsterFan4life
nathan
VinceWLB
TJ
37 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

What a great contest the HC really is Empty What a great contest the HC really is

Post by TJ Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:54 pm

Upsets, turnarounds, some great games. Anyone can beat anyone - away wins galore.
What a great competition

TJ

Back to top Go down

What a great contest the HC really is Empty Re: What a great contest the HC really is

Post by VinceWLB Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:06 pm

Agreed, every team i have seen in it are very up for it.

Great competition, it's been like that for the last 10-12 years.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

What a great contest the HC really is Empty Re: What a great contest the HC really is

Post by nathan Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:08 pm

No reason why another competition couldn't be better...

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:09 pm

Another competition could see some nations excluded...

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:09 pm

nathan wrote:No reason why another competition couldn't be better...

The dream of playing in the Rugby Chumps Cup with fat men in black hats throwing money around is over. Move on!

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:12 pm

Your point being? Was i referring to to the RCC?

all I'm saying is that its the teams that make it exciting.

other than the very rare upset the really weak teams have been hammered? Does that make an exciting game?

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:14 pm

Whinge whinge whinge. Move on.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:16 pm

nathan wrote:Your point being? Was i referring to to the RCC?

other than the very rare upset the really weak teams have been hammered? Does that make an exciting game?

Well I thought Northampton came back very well after being hammered..... Very exciting match.

Wouldn't like to see them being excluded in any new comp.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:16 pm

Do they get hammered 99% of the time?

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:17 pm

I don't think the upsets have been that rare.

Embra's win here and against Munster. Connacht beating Toulose away, Cardiff winning home and away against Glasgow and beating Toulon. Racing beating Clermont and then getting hammered by Quins at home. Northampton coming back and beating Leinster in the aviva.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:17 pm

You could say its been the tournament of upsets!

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:18 pm

Pools 1 and 6 are wide open!

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:29 pm

Certainly going to be a big game between tigers and ulster. Certainly looking forward to it

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:36 pm

This back to back format for these two games is just fantastic, offering the tantalising prospect of redemption to some teams and look how Northampton and Edinburgh were galvinised.

The big boys still managed to win both legs though, its all about standing up and being counted.

How can we even contemplate losing a competition as good as this. I put my sky subscription back on to watch the Glasgow double header and thought I had wasted my money until I saw the spirit with which Edinburgh fought back today. I now think it was money well spent!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:41 pm

Its the idea that that the current format cannot be improved that's wrong. We all may not agree on how, but it certainly can be improved.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:43 pm

nathan wrote:Your point being? Was i referring to to the RCC?

Only the Italians have been hammered.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:49 pm

Best rugby tournament in the world. It would be better if the expanded it to 32 teams.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:41 pm

nathan wrote:Do they get hammered 99% of the time?

I hope not. They played very well yesterday.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:47 pm

Feckless Rogue wrote:Best rugby tournament in the world. It would be better if the expanded it to 32 teams.

I assume 8 groups of 4 which would mean a lot of rugby available and a lot of inter-league games which would make it less exciting after a while.
Quality is often based on rarity... Let's not kill the golden turkey  What a great contest the HC really is 3602195817 

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:59 pm

Bloody Munster, Leinster, and Ulster leading their 3 pools again!

Kick them out of Europe their just too good for everyone else!  Cry Cry Cry 
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:01 pm

Shifty wrote:Bloody Munster, Leinster, and Ulster leading their 3 pools again!

and if they don't qualify out of there group it means nothing.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by stub Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:03 pm

Shifty wrote:Bloody Munster, Leinster, and Ulster leading their 3 pools again!

Still a away to go yet before anyone can claim bragging rights.

But, to be safe, yes - I vote yes!  Wink 

stub

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:08 pm

Fair point whocares. But it would be the same number of game played by each team. But mainly it would remove the qualification gripe that the Franglo clubs have, without taking places away from the other four nations.

Northampton showed the best way to get Leinster out of Europe. Play better than them and beat them. Unfortunately in the pools you have to do it twice to get rid of the feicers.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:45 pm

all international top flight competitions are incredible. doesnt mean the HC is perfect. far from it. joke qualification. joke money distribution. joke seeding. joke QF home/away advantage as a result of the joke seeding and joke qualification.

but great matches.

really sad that many of the greatest pool matches mean nothing when you have a pool of sarries, toulouse, connacht, treviso and its top 6 and 2 best scoring runners up.

16 teams. 4 pools of 4. all have to qualify. no guarantees. now that would be a truly elite competition where every match would mean something. 1/3 of the HC matches each round are meaningless. that's a real shame and a huge waste.

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:52 pm

Of course formats can be altered. However there is no doubt that in an entertainment business this years HC has been good, The leinster / Saints double header as a great example

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:55 pm

TJ wrote:Of course formats can be altered.  However there is no doubt that in an entertainment business this years HC has been good,  The leinster / Saints double header as a great example

|It has been good, but that doesn't mean another cup with these teams in couldn't be better. We all know the reasoning behind the creation of the thread.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:00 pm

TJ wrote:Of course formats can be altered.  However there is no doubt that in an entertainment business this years HC has been good,  The leinster / Saints double header as a great example
totally agree. the international element is what sexes it up for most of us.

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:04 pm

HC is great and even without the English it has survived and will again. Hopefully retaining its current format ensuring the grubby hands of the prl owners are kept away from ruining a perfectly good competition. Given how poor the English teams have been the last few years its no surprise they are trying to stack things in their favour with the RCC. Smacks of desperation.

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:06 pm

ME-109 wrote:HC is great and even without the English it has survived and will again. Hopefully retaining its current format ensuring the grubby hands of the prl owners are kept away from ruining a perfectly good competition. Given how poor the English teams have been the last few years its no surprise they are trying to stack things in their favour with the RCC. Smacks of desperation.

lol,

What a silly post.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:08 pm

nathan wrote:
ME-109 wrote:HC is great and even without the English it has survived and will again. Hopefully retaining its current format ensuring the grubby hands of the prl owners are kept away from ruining a perfectly good competition. Given how poor the English teams have been the last few years its no surprise they are trying to stack things in their favour with the RCC. Smacks of desperation.

lol,

What a silly post.

lol yourself silly man.

it seems pretty clear that one of the reasons is that the poor results of the English teams over the last number of years is part of this. Changing the qualification and giving them a better chance of winning equals more money? Or do you seriously believe they are thinking about the good of the game... laughing 

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:21 pm

ME-109 wrote:
nathan wrote:

lol,

What a silly post.

lol yourself silly man.

it seems pretty clear that one of the reasons is that the poor results of the English teams over the last number of years is part of this. Changing the qualification and giving them a better chance of winning equals more money? Or do you seriously believe they are thinking about the good of the game... laughing 

Attack the post not the poster, if your struggling with that then go and have a read of the rules on here...

Poor results? wasn't an English team in the final only last year?

Your right, if you progress into the knock out stages you will get more money, but this whole thing is about the distribution to begin with.

Lastly, everyone is looking after there own interests. Your pretty blind if you can't see that.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:24 pm

Just thought I'd make the point that in the year that there were 3 English semi finalists (2007) and when only 2 pro12 teams had ever won it, the English were going to pull out. However as they hadn't given notice they were tied in, which is why they went back in. This time they were prepared and gave notice. You can pretend that it's because they've only had two finalists since then (and no winners) if that makes you happy but it's blatantly not true (just a happy coincidence).

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:34 pm

good point hammer. maybe if messerschmitt cared more about his national team and spent less time asserting his national supremacy via the performance of provincial teams, his priorities in rugby would align more neatly with others. maybe if the irish national team players felt the same way, they might start to perform closer to the level of their provinces? maybe if they had a meaningful domestic competition they wouldnt be so addicted and dependent on HC rugby from both a financial and quality perspective?

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by Brennus Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:37 pm

quinsforever wrote:good point hammer. maybe if messerschmitt cared more about his national team and spent less time asserting his national supremacy via the performance of provincial teams, his priorities in rugby would align more neatly with others. maybe if the irish national team players felt the same way, they might start to perform closer to the level of their provinces? maybe if they had a meaningful domestic competition they wouldnt be so addicted and dependent on HC rugby from both a financial and quality perspective?

WTF!? lol

Brennus

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:42 pm

nathan wrote:
ME-109 wrote:
nathan wrote:

lol,

What a silly post.

lol yourself silly man.

Attack the post not the poster, if your struggling with that then go and have a read of the rules on here...

Your right, if you progress into the knock out stages you will get more money, but this whole thing is about the distribution to begin with.

Lastly, everyone is looking after there own interests. Your pretty blind if you can't see that.

You are correct in saying everyone is looking after their own interests. However there is a subtle but significant difference in that the PRL specifically have only money and control in mind. The unions under the ERC at least are taking a wider view in terms of trying to grow the game in Italy within the top tier. I do agree that money & control are part of this but unfortunately the PRL owners don't give a flying fornication about others. If you support that, that is fine but then you and others are being pretty blind to that fact and the arguments that this is something else are pretty juvenile. Maybe yourself Quins and Mysti et al should stick to soccer it would seem to suit you.

Hammer - 2007 is irrelevant to today. The fact is that the PRL teams have been performing poorly and the growth of the French teams in addition to the usual moaning about the Irish teams not taking the rabo seriously (check the history for that) has seen their take and possibility of winning the competition become harder...therefore they are looking for more of the pie. Again that is fine but please the arguments are beyond childish if you believe otherwise.

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:44 pm

quinsforever wrote:good point hammer. maybe if messerschmitt cared more about his national team and spent less time asserting his national supremacy via the performance of provincial teams, his priorities in rugby would align more neatly with others. maybe if the irish national team players felt the same way, they might start to perform closer to the level of their provinces? maybe if they had a meaningful domestic competition they wouldnt be so addicted and dependent on HC rugby from both a financial and quality perspective?

Har har...nice one Quins... OK 

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:44 pm

I saw the best scrum battle today that I haven't seen in years.
Mas vs Ayerza was great to watch, restored some entertainment come scrum time. Two of the best in the world going at it and both as effective as they usually are. Mas when he shoved Ayerza of the ball to score a try was just masterclass. Ayerza then winning penalties at every crucial opportunity, it was just great to watch.
That's what scrums are about, not the mess we often see.

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:47 pm

ME-109 wrote:
nathan wrote:
ME-109 wrote:
nathan wrote:

lol,

What a silly post.

lol yourself silly man.

You are correct in saying everyone is looking after their own interests. However there is a subtle but significant difference in that the PRL specifically have only money and control in mind. The unions under the ERC at least are taking a wider view in terms of trying to grow the game in Italy within the top tier. I do agree that money & control are part of this but unfortunately the PRL owners don't give a flying fornication about others. If you support that, that is fine but then you and others are being pretty blind to that fact and the arguments that this is something else are pretty juvenile. Maybe yourself Quins and Mysti et al should stick to soccer it would seem to suit you.

Hammer - 2007 is irrelevant to today. The fact is that the PRL teams have been performing poorly and the growth of the French teams in addition to the usual moaning about the Irish teams not taking the rabo seriously (check the history for that) has seen their take and possibility of winning the competition become harder...therefore they are looking for more of the pie. Again that is fine but please the arguments are beyond childish if you believe otherwise.
pure genius. The IRFU have only money and control in mind too. money from the Heineken Cup to be able to afford to control irish national team players domestically.

can you really not see the irony?

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:50 pm

ME-109 wrote:
nathan wrote:
ME-109 wrote:
nathan wrote:

lol,

What a silly post.

lol yourself silly man.

Have the English teams been performing badly? personally i think your making that up. oh right so the ERC are looking after the game of rugby by including Italy in the HC. Wasn't the idea (the idea came from the PRL) of having another tier with countries like Romania etc rubbished by other nations.

Thats hardly the ERC looking at the wider rugby picture is it.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:50 pm

quinsforever wrote:
ME-109 wrote:
nathan wrote:
ME-109 wrote:
nathan wrote:

lol,

What a silly post.

lol yourself silly man.

pure genius. The IRFU have only money and control in mind too. money from the Heineken Cup to be able to afford to control irish national team players domestically.

All I can see QF is the manic postings of a pure apologist for PRL hegemony

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:51 pm

nathan wrote:
ME-109 wrote:
nathan wrote:
ME-109 wrote:
nathan wrote:

lol,

What a silly post.

lol yourself silly man.

Have the English teams been performing badly? personally i think your making that up.  oh right so the ERC are looking after the game of rugby by including Italy in the HC. Wasn't the idea (the idea came from the PRL) of having another tier with countries like Romania etc rubbished by other nations.

Well they haven't won it in a while...

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:58 pm

ME-109 wrote:
nathan wrote:
ME-109 wrote:
nathan wrote:
ME-109 wrote:
nathan wrote:

lol,

What a silly post.

lol yourself silly man.

Have the English teams been performing badly? personally i think your making that up.  oh right so the ERC are looking after the game of rugby by including Italy in the HC. Wasn't the idea (the idea came from the PRL) of having another tier with countries like Romania etc rubbished by other nations.

Well they haven't won it in a while...

So winning it is the qualification we're using for performing well?

You are aware the English teams have won it as many times as the Irish?

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:04 pm

ME-109 wrote:
quinsforever wrote:
ME-109 wrote:
nathan wrote:
ME-109 wrote:
nathan wrote:

lol,

What a silly post.

lol yourself silly man.

do you understand what hegemony is? yes there is now a PRL/LNr hegemony within the HC. but i'm not apologising for it. i enjoy it and look forwards to a fairer, better quality HC (or replacement not run by ERC) as a result of it.

here's a link for you. maybe stick to shorter words going forwards?

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/hegemony

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:10 pm

quinsforever wrote:
ME-109 wrote:
quinsforever wrote:
ME-109 wrote:
nathan wrote:
ME-109 wrote:
nathan wrote:

lol,

What a silly post.

lol yourself silly man.

do you understand what hegemony is? yes there is now a PRL/LNr hegemony within the HC. but i'm not apologising for it. i enjoy it and look forwards to a fairer, better quality HC (or replacement not run by ERC) as a result of it.

Oh dear oh dear...we definitely have touched a nerve....scratch the surface and look what pops out...your juvenile arguments fool no one QF...just some people have attempted to educate you but that has never been possible...  Laugh 

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:12 pm

ME-109 wrote:
quinsforever wrote:
ME-109 wrote:
quinsforever wrote:
ME-109 wrote:
nathan wrote:
ME-109 wrote:
nathan wrote:

lol,

What a silly post.

lol yourself silly man.

Oh dear oh dear...we definitely have touched a nerve....scratch the surface and look what pops out...your juvenile arguments fool no one QF...just some people have attempted to educate you but that has never been possible...  Laugh 

perhaps it's not quins who needs educating....

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:14 pm

nathan wrote:
ME-109 wrote:
quinsforever wrote:
ME-109 wrote:
quinsforever wrote:
ME-109 wrote:
nathan wrote:
ME-109 wrote:
nathan wrote:

lol,

What a silly post.

lol yourself silly man.

Another one...surely you can do better.....no? I didn't think so.

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by stub Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:17 pm

ME-109 wrote:
nathan wrote:
ME-109 wrote:
quinsforever wrote:
ME-109 wrote:
quinsforever wrote:
ME-109 wrote:
nathan wrote:
ME-109 wrote:
nathan wrote:

lol,

What a silly post.

lol yourself silly man.

Another one...surely you can do better.....no?  I didn't think so.

Eh? Headscratch 

stub

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:17 pm

nathan wrote:
ME-109 wrote:
nathan wrote:
ME-109 wrote:
nathan wrote:

lol,

What a silly post.

lol yourself silly man.

Romania are already in the Amlin and there was never any serious talks about the expansion of the game in Europe as there really isn't anybody ready to step up baring maybe Russia (who have been trying to get a team in the Amlin for some time now) and Georgia but both countries are too far away realistically and Georgia already have their best players tied up in the Top14.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Brennus Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:19 pm

Actually there some interesting points here if you can see through the childish waffle. Meritcoratic qualification does need to be introduced only as long there's a change for all nations(notice I didn't say 'leagues'). Whether some people like it or not, the English teams are not as good as they were in the past so a system should be introduced where spots are allocated on recent performances.

Brennus

Back to top Go down

Post by stub Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:21 pm

Brennus wrote:Actually there some interesting points here if you can see through the childish waffle. Meritcoratic qualification does need to be introduced only as long there's a change for all nations(notice I didn't say 'leagues'). Whether some people like it or not, the English teams are not as good as they were in the past so a system should be introduced where spots are allocated on recent performances.

This isn't just about the English though is it Bre?

stub

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next