The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Central North

+9
Scratch
yappysnap
hawalsh
geoff998rugby
bedfordwelsh
Knowsit17
flankertye
WELL-PAST-IT
munkian
13 posters

Go down

Central North Empty Central North

Post by munkian Mon 16 Dec 2013, 12:12 pm

Georgey boy impressed me being switiched to 13 at last minute for the Saints, especially playing in a Heino game in Leinster.

He took his try well and seemed to be a handful.

I'd like him at centre for Wales but I don't think Doc should partner him - JD2 or Scot Williams would be my weapon of choice.

munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Central North Empty Re: Central North

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Mon 16 Dec 2013, 12:19 pm

Not really a reply about GN for Wales, but Burrell and North in the centre for saints, that is some powerful classy partnership.
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon 16 Dec 2013, 12:23 pm

They seemed to work well. Doesn't Burrell have issues of blowing rather hot and cold though ?
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by flankertye Mon 16 Dec 2013, 12:28 pm

Not so much these days, by all accounts he's become a very consistent performer

flankertye

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Mon 16 Dec 2013, 12:33 pm

Last year was a bit like that, but his passing game has improved greatly as has his defence. He no longer rushes up and tries to do a Manu every time the opposition run the ball. But when he hits, the opponents feel it.
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Mon 16 Dec 2013, 1:34 pm

North has had quite a successful year on the wing for Wales and the Lions. I would not rule out a role at centre in future, on either a temporary or permanent basis, but only if I was convinced we had an able replacement to occupy the 11 shirt. This is why I was frustrated when Eli Walker got injured as it's high time Wales developed depth on the wings to compliment North and Cuthbert. At this rate we are standing on thin ice if one or both are injured and I am as of yet unconvinced by Liam Williams, who for me looks far better in his original fullback position.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 16 Dec 2013, 1:57 pm

If North was moved to centre and I think it should at least be given a go who would people put on wing in his place.

I like Li Williams but thought he was poor this AI.

Walker, shame he was injured would have been good to see him have a go.

Dirksen - qualifies soon doesn't he.

Halfpenny, for me he should be left at XV but some suggest him and Li Williams swapping roles.

Prydie,still young enough

Amos or Robinson - both been given a glimpse of the top level could that now encourage them to push on.

For me at the moment I would got for Li Williams

bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Mon 16 Dec 2013, 2:02 pm

Without Davis I think Wales need North at 13.

The performance against Australia picked up big time when he moved inside.

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 16 Dec 2013, 2:05 pm

geoff,

For me JD is or will be the bigger loss out of him and Roberts.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Mon 16 Dec 2013, 2:08 pm

Agreed Davis is by far your most important centre

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon 16 Dec 2013, 2:11 pm

Snap, JD2 offers a lot more than Roberts, will def miss him against Ireland in the 6n
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Mon 16 Dec 2013, 2:13 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:For me at the moment I would got for Li Williams

Why, out of curiosity? He's had a handful of caps now and has scarcely looked threatening on the wing. I know he was lauded back for his tackle on Dagg last year but generally doesn't inject any pace or creativity where Wales could really use it. I counted one eye-catching moment from Williams this autumn, his break and pass to set up Faletau vs the Pumas, but tbh is that not the very least you'd hope for in most decent wingers? And it's the only time.

I know he's young and still has plenty of time to improve but at this point I think people are trying to see something in him more than actually seeing something in him, such is the desperation for strength in depth. That is not to discount his form at PYS where he's usually very impressive but if he is up to the task of converting that form to Wales, he hasn't shown it yet.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 16 Dec 2013, 2:13 pm

So lets say JD doesn't make a quick recovery and we know that Gatland won't drop Roberts if fit, would a North/Roberts combo work?

bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 16 Dec 2013, 2:16 pm

Knowsit17 wrote:

Why, out of curiosity? He's had a handful of caps now and has scarcely looked threatening on the wing. I know he was lauded back for his tackle on Dagg last year but generally doesn't inject any pace or creativity where Wales could really use it. I counted one eye-catching moment from Williams this autumn, his break and pass to set up Faletau vs the Pumas, but tbh is that not the very least you'd hope for in most decent wingers? And it's the only time.

I know he's young and still has plenty of time to improve but at this point I think people are trying to see something in him more than actually seeing something in him, such is the desperation for strength in depth. That is not to discount his form at PYS where he's usually very impressive but if he is up to the task of converting that form to Wales, he hasn't shown it yet.

knowsit,

If we were to move North then there is no ready made replacement. All the ones i mentioned are still young and raw and all (Williams included) would still be seen as a bit of a gamble. I just like the raw energy Williams brings though admit he can be a bit hot headed at times, it is a shame Walker didnt get a crack in the AIs and wouldn't be unhappy if they plumped for him.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon 16 Dec 2013, 2:20 pm

Against some teams, yes, I think it would. It wouldn't be particulary sophisticated though it would pull defends into the centree which would give us more space on the wing.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 16 Dec 2013, 2:22 pm

Knowsit17 wrote:North has had quite a successful year on the wing for Wales and the Lions. I would not rule out a role at centre in future, on either a temporary or permanent basis, but only if I was convinced we had an able replacement to occupy the 11 shirt. This is why I was frustrated when Eli Walker got injured as it's high time Wales developed depth on the wings to compliment North and Cuthbert. At this rate we are standing on thin ice if one or both are injured and I am as of yet unconvinced by Liam Williams, who for me looks far better in his original fullback position.

This is my concern as well, its not that I dont think North will be a good centre, its just we don't have someone of his class to replace him on the wing

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon 16 Dec 2013, 2:24 pm

Well, we have Gatland till 2019 now so we'll see him there at somepoint
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by hawalsh Mon 16 Dec 2013, 6:05 pm

If I were Welsh I wouldn't be shy about moving Halfpenny back to wing if injuries required. He's great positionally at fullback, but I think it's a crying shame that whether due to coaching instruction or his instincts in that position we see so little of his attacking verve compared to how he used to play on the wing. I'd love to see Williams at 15 and Halfpenny on the wing, both with full licence from an attacking rugby point of view, I think the knock-on effects to the rest of the backline's instincts would make for great rugby.

hawalsh

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Mon 16 Dec 2013, 7:16 pm

Norths handling was very impressive on the weekend, he put in some really good short passes and got the timing just right. I think he would be devestating given a good run at 13, especially if Roberts was on form inside him.

Up until the Lions halfpenny looked briliiant on the wing. Can't see why he couldn't shift back over there.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Mon 16 Dec 2013, 7:20 pm

North's continued development at 13 is great news on the one hand - multi positional players strengthen our depth, but he absolutely must not become another utility back. I would like to see him started here v Scotland and Italy in the 6 Nations though. I feel his future may be at 13 not on the wing but while we have JD2 he will always be 2nd choice there.

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Mon 16 Dec 2013, 7:52 pm

When North signed for Saints I thought he may end up at 13 eventually due to how they play and the fact he is such a good player (and damn big investment) that JM would want him involved as much as possible. Agree he was impressive at the weekend but Leinster caused him a few defensive issues on the wing the week before and you can sure sure other teams, both at club level and internationally will have been watching. Maybe the reason that Halfpenny is more defensive at 15 for Wales than many fans would like is because both North & Cuthbert, whilst excellent in attack could be a little vulnerable in defense?

100% agree with Scratch regarding him potentially becoming a utility back - he has far too much ability to be moved around too much and become a jack of all trades and master of none.....

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Mon 16 Dec 2013, 8:55 pm

Nothing wrong with just switching between 13 and 14 though, makes him very useful and he can do it during the match to get more ball. It's hardly like he's going to start running out in the 9 or 10 shirt now is it?!!  Shocked 

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 17 Dec 2013, 8:37 am

Would still be better than Bergamasco  Very Happy 
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Tue 17 Dec 2013, 12:20 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:
Knowsit17 wrote:

knowsit,

If we were to move North then there is no ready made replacement.  All the ones i mentioned are still young and raw and all (Williams included) would still be seen as a bit of a gamble.  I just like the raw energy Williams brings though admit he can be a bit hot headed at times, it is a shame Walker didnt get a crack in the AIs and wouldn't be unhappy if they plumped for him.

Fair enough but overall I think it would be fair to conclude that we do not yet have the established depth to solve the problem so much as move it. As it stands Roberts and Davies have always been considered a stretch ahead of anyone else. Converting North would go some way to solving that but effectively it would create the same issue on the wing with Cuthbert and North himself the only two real established options we can boast. To be comfortable we'd need further options behind everyone, in every position and preferably 2 or 3 of them lining up, which sadly is just not current reality. Until it is we need everyone fit for every game, which again isn't a realistic expectation.

If Gatland's here for another 6 years I'd rather he got started immediately on depth. And with the lack of cohesion currently between the local and national establishments that's easier said than done.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 17 Dec 2013, 12:31 pm

Knowsit,

If we did move North then I wouldn't be overly bothered who we put on the wing as like we mentioned depth there needs to be developed.

We have a few (literally) in the wings waiting I guess he just needs to decide who is next in line after North and Cuthbert, which at the moment seems to be Williams.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Tue 17 Dec 2013, 12:45 pm

The armchair coaches are out in force today!

If we move North!  Laugh

To be honest you could put North anywhere on a rugby field and he'd still have an impact on the game.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by SuperGuinness69 Tue 17 Dec 2013, 1:04 pm

He is much more dangerous and effective on the wing, regardless of whether he has the skills to play centre or not (he does). Picking his lines from deep virtually anywhere on the pitch (as he can on the wing) will terrify teams 100 times out of 100. Lining him up to take the short ball from 13 every time will still hurt defences, but will be a waste of ability as it is easier to figure out, and Roberts can do the exact same thing.

SuperGuinness69

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue 17 Dec 2013, 10:50 pm

Before you guys go off about North at outside centre, I would like to make a few points from a Saints supporter point of view.  

I think the Leinster match was his best of the year.  He has generally done OK in other matches and draws the opposing defence, thereby opening holes for others.  But he has not set the Saints world on fire.  The try against Leinster was the first one he worked to create whilst at Saints.  Also his hands are not great, as anyone who saw the Ospreys match can attest to.  And his defence is OK but not better than that.  Against Leinster the left wing touched the ball only once.  The 13 needs to make sure the ball gets out there more often, especially since that sole touch almost ended up a try.  

So much for the downside.  On the other hand, he is still quite young and I would certainly expect him to improve.   He showed a lot more confidence running straight ahead, so Outside Centre might be his best position.  But that was his first start of the season in that slot and needs time there to develop.  At Saints opposing teams will not like the prospect of Burrell and North targeting their mid-field defences.  Especially if he becomes more of a threat to get the ball outside.  

Interesting discussion and possibilities.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down