The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is it greed that has kept Dixie in TNA?

3 posters

Go down

Is it greed that has kept Dixie in TNA? Empty Is it greed that has kept Dixie in TNA?

Post by talkingpoint Fri 27 Dec 2013, 12:55 am

Bear with me here, I have a few thoughts on the state of TNA, which I think make for interesting discussion, maybe even something for the podcast?

In her sports illustrated interview (last month?) Dixie spoke about the WWE being a billion $ company and that the venture into the world of pro wrestling would be worth it even if TNA had only 10% of WWE`s earnings. Many people and dirtsheets have speculated that the Carter`s want to sell the company, which they have denied and they still currently own TNA. Dixie also explained in the interview that the company is making profit and that they channel their profits back into growing the company rather than rely on investors now which, she ventured to say, was the reason why the company hasn`t grown as fast as it could have done. There has also been much speculation that TNA will fold in the near future as a company and is a sinking ship. In regard to those speculations, some people (such as on wrestletalk.tv) suggest that Dixie has a maternal instinct towards TNA that as a woman is strong enough to pull TNA through hardtimes and give her the strength to persevere and make her "baby" a success. There could be some truth to this theory, but based on her comments in sports illustrated could it just be plain old fashioned greed and capitalism? I am sure no doubt that Dixie loves wrestling (she could have chosen any number of other business ventures), but does that mean that she is in it purely to provide the best wrestling product on TV? Are her motives that pure? Is she a wrestling visionary (like Vince MacMahon was) or is she just trying to sink her teeth into a slice of the WWE pie and is this why TNA has continued to make a string of mistakes and blunder through 2013?

Thoughts?

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Is it greed that has kept Dixie in TNA? Empty Re: Is it greed that has kept Dixie in TNA?

Post by dyrewolfe Sat 28 Dec 2013, 11:11 am

Think I'd need more info about how TNA was founded, before making any comments about her motives.

AJ Styles recently said in one of him promos that, "her daddy bought her a rasslin' company". Does this mean TNA existed as a different franchise beforehand, or did the Carters actually build it from scratch?

Given that they've chosen a different business model to WWE, it suggests they're keen to keep TNA a family-owned company and not be beholden to investors. Obviously a double-edged sword: they don't have to answer to shareholders and can grow the company how they want, but they're not getting the megabucks that WWE is.

That suggests they're in it for the long haul and not just interested in making a quick buck and that they want to provide something a bit different to what WWE offers, rather than trying to compete directly with them, (I think they only way they could realistically do that is to sell out to corporate backers). I think they would be doing well to get 10% of the revenue WWE generates, as one of the "lesser" franchises.

In terms of direction, I think they are desperately in need of a McMahon type visionary. They have a talented roster, many of whom can wrestle as well as any in the business. Unfortunately, as many on here have commented, they are badly lacking in coherent, interesting feuds and storylines. The Aces & Eights saga has probably been the ONLY well-written, well-executed, long-term story in the last 2-3 years.

They really need more like it to help establish their stars' characters and stature/reputation within the organisation and give the fans some proper faces and heels to cheer and boo. I think another problem TNA have had is that many of their wrestlers are various shades of grey, able to turn heel or face at short notice.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Is it greed that has kept Dixie in TNA? Empty Re: Is it greed that has kept Dixie in TNA?

Post by talkingpoint Mon 30 Dec 2013, 1:54 am

I thought the Jarretts built it from scratch?

I agree they need a better visionary, the whole Dixieland kayfabe heel owner is a little too confusing as to the end goal? What do TNA hope to accomplish with this storyline? An AJ return where he is depicted as the valiant knight in shining armour, come to rescue TNA from the nasty dragon? I still have my doubts about the whole 365 action never ends youtube clips.

However, I do like the whole idea of Magnus now getting VIP treatment because he`s Dixie`schampion. I`d love them to create a kind of Ric Flair "stylin` and profilin`" type gimmick where he is caught on camera drinking champagne all the time and suited up strolling around like he owns the place. Then that sets up a perfect AJ return and "this is the house AJ built! Not Magnus who is riding the coat tails of Dixie".

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Mon 30 Dec 2013, 10:30 am

Yeah the Carters bought Jerry Jarrett's stake in the company in 2002, they didn't build it, but they've basically been involved since TNA has made an impact.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down