The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Australian Open: Day One

+5
laverfan
kingraf
LuvSports!
Born Slippy
CaledonianCraig
9 posters

Go down

Australian Open: Day One Empty Australian Open: Day One

Post by CaledonianCraig Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:55 am

Since no one else has put up such a thread here goes.

Well into Day One and already all British interest in the women's singles is over with Robson thrashed and Watson going down fighting in three sets. Tommy Haas withdraws trailing a set and a break down with an injury and at present Australian youngster Jordan Thompson is leading Jan wins 6-1 1-1. Reigning champion Djokovic begins his campaign in the evening session.

Discuss.....
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Australian Open: Day One Empty Re: Australian Open: Day One

Post by Born Slippy Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:04 am

This Thompson kid looks very talented, although Jerzy is all over the place.

Very poor from Robson earlier. I know she has had injury problems but she seemed completely lacking in any structure or gameplan. Very frustrating to watch.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:09 am

Yes Thompson looks to have a very good all-round game. Janowicz though has been pretty poor so far, raining unforced errors, obsessed with the drop shot even though it isn't working. Going with serve in the second set and you feel sooner or later Jerzy must find his game. Thommo you feel has to win this in straight sets or else his fitness will be fully tested. On a side note he looks the spitting image of Rory McIlroy
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:58 am

Thompson remaining very solid and very quick around the court. Janowicz has had the trainer out on a number of occasions and it is looking bleak for the Pole as he struggles badly for consistency. Thompson leads 6-1 6-4 2-2.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:41 am

Janowicz now competitive. Wins the third set and a break up in the fourth. Surely, Thommo's energy levels will be depleted and momentum is with the Pole.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:42 am

He is still fighting though.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:44 am

Djokovic takes the first set 6-3 and looks set for a comfortable evening.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:10 am

An early break in the fifth set for Janowicz and Thommo looks drained whilst Jerzy looks rejuvenated.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:59 am

Did he win?

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:04 am

yeah JJ through in five
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:06 am

Baggy making a hash of his match against Istomin. Sad

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:40 am

Baggy bagged in three.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:20 pm

Only Haas knocked out of the seeded men I think. A couple of promising displays from Vesely and Thompson though against seeds before being overhauled in 5.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:12 pm

Good on Jerzy fighting back after dropping two sets he really needs to whip players like that without expending that kind of energy in the first match. Novak looked a bit rusty in the first couple of sets he was throwing errors all over the place and missing so many routine second serve returns. Really played beautifully in that final set. His serve has still been very high quality, I don't know if this is a trend but he seems a bit more aggressive under Becker, although it is just one match.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:14 pm

Hey SoCal, good to see you back!

Pretty good start for Novak. As you say, a few returns missed, a few BH errors at the start too but it just looked like rust. Once he hit his stride in the 2nd set tie break, I thought he liked very good. The forehand in particular looked excellent, hit with good depth and some penetrating angles.

Early days yet but I like what I've seen so far.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:22 pm

I agree Murdoch, he looks bigger as well like he has put on a couple of pounds. At times last year he looked too skinny. Yes he seemed eager to look for an opportunity to flatten it out and his serve was pretty good with a lot of free points. If he wants to make an early season push for the one spot he has to hold serve at the AO. He has lost too many grandslam finals by just a couple of big points here and there maybe Becker will give him the confidence to do it in those big moments.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:27 pm

PS murdoch i have not been anywhere just over at the football forum torturing them with my conspiracy theories and flowering language.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:38 pm

Importantly, he seems to be enjoying his time with Becker. If he's relaxed and focused, he'll play well. I really think it's as simple as that!

Yes, I've seen you over on the footie forum. I'm glad you've found on outlet for those metaphors, there haven't been as many Fed fans in here for you to use then on!

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:09 am

HM Murdoch wrote:Importantly, he seems to be enjoying his time with Becker. If he's relaxed and focused, he'll play well. I really think it's as simple as that!

Yes, I've seen you over on the footie forum. I'm glad you've found on outlet for those metaphors, there haven't been as many Fed fans in here for you to use then on!

I told everyone that most fed fans were fed fans and not tennis fans and when they couldn't lord it over the rest of us from their perch they would go away. Some of them stayed involved like Silver and JHM and that was not their attitude so to be fair I don't want to broadbrush.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:14 am

socal1976 wrote:Some of them stayed involved like Silver and JHM and that was not their attitude so to be fair I don't want to broadbrush.

Flowery language, etc. Australian Open: Day One 3845856932

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:31 am

socal1976 wrote:Some of them stayed involved like Silver and JHM and that was not their attitude so to be fair I don't want to broadbrush.

In my case it's probably because I've always wanted Murray to beat him every time they play - same with Henman and Agassi before that. There has never been a time when Fed was my favourite player. I'm not even as big a fan of Murray as I was with Henman and Agassi (and Connors before that).

You don't want to broadbrush, but do you want to bogbrush? Smile

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:51 am

socal1976 wrote:
HM Murdoch wrote:...Yes, I've seen you over on the footie forum. I'm glad you've found on outlet for those metaphors, there haven't been as many Fed fans in here for you to use then on!

I told everyone that most fed fans were fed fans and not tennis fans and when they couldn't lord it over the rest of us from their perch they would go away. Some of them stayed involved like Silver and JHM and that was not their attitude so to be fair I don't want to broadbrush.
Most fans are fed fans but the well fed fans have difficulty reaching their perch.

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:44 pm

Nore Staat wrote:
socal1976 wrote:
HM Murdoch wrote:...Yes, I've seen you over on the footie forum. I'm glad you've found on outlet for those metaphors, there haven't been as many Fed fans in here for you to use then on!

Most fans are fed fans but the well fed fans have difficulty reaching their perch.

Superb  clap 

Thanks for the kind words socal, being a Federer fan nowadays is a bit tougher than during the halcyon days! More interesting though, I do like some of the debates on here Wink

Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down