The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Premiership Salary Cap to Increase

+3
formerly known as Sam
HammerofThunor
yappysnap
7 posters

Go down

Premiership Salary Cap to Increase Empty Premiership Salary Cap to Increase

Post by yappysnap Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:36 am

Aviva Premiership clubs are set to benefit from a 10% rise in the salary cap.

The Independent on Sunday says teams will have an additional £500,000 to play with next term on top of the existing £5.2m as the money from their broadcasting deal with BT Sport starts to kick in.

The news comes in a week when the French clubs signed a monster new television deal which is only going to increase their spending power. The powers that be in the Premiership fear the additional money over the Channel could see more of the country's top stars swapping the Premiership for the Top 14.

Toby Flood will play for Toulouse next season and Harlequins chief Conor O'Shea predicts more will follow in the aftermath of the 2015 World Cup.

"Where the challenge for us [in England] will be is post-World Cup 2015 when players come out of contract," O'Shea told the newspaper. "There will be England players for whom the chequebook will come out, and it'll be so much money that they will go. It is becoming harder and harder, and the market value of players is naturally going up.

"England's policy of only picking players overseas in exceptional circumstances is a help - the people who want to play for their country will stay - but I've no doubt there will be those who go for the lifestyle change."

And according to The Rugby Paper, Saracens are already planning how to spend that funding having offered British & Irish Lions tight-head Adam Jones £300,000 to swap Wales for the Premiership.

No surprise Sarries are already rubbing their hands together!  Wink Bet Bath can't wait either...

Could well mean more bad news for Wales now though.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Premiership Salary Cap to Increase Empty Re: Premiership Salary Cap to Increase

Post by HammerofThunor Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:04 am

The salary cap is now tied to the central funding. So TV, sponsorship, RFU, etc. if it goes up the cap goes up. If it goes down the cap goes down. Until any additional competitions are sorted out I can't see it changing much.

I imagine this increase is based on everything coming good...which it probably won't.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:10 am

It Saud the existing cap is £5.2 million, I thought it was less then that? Unless they're including the star player add on amount?

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:15 am

£4.26 + academy credits up to 240k + 200k academy salary, which is £4.7M (including academy salaries). Then the marque player, perhaps the maximum is 500k

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:44 am

EPS disbursements now could towards the cap? That could explain the difference.

Can't see many clubs acquiring more players, the wages expected by players are rising because of the French cheque books meaning that retaining players is becoming increasingly difficult.

Case in point, Niki Goneva. Has said he appreciates that Tigers have taken his career from 7s/French Pro 2 to HEC and AP and if he could play for another 10 years would sign up for another two years. However, he's 29 and the French clubs are offering a contract well exceeding what Tigers can and so he's now in two minds. If Tigers do retain him his contract will be significantly bigger than it is currently. A lot of clubs and players will be in a similar position.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:16 am

Not sure about the EPS, I was just making those things up and thought it might include base RFU payments (no. of EQ players etc).
I think the key thing is that without Europe they should be at similar levels as to before the BT deal so can't see it going up much. If Europe or a replacement is sorted it'll go up some. If the 10% increase is for a full European Cup it'll be an increase between 0-10%

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:05 pm

The Premiership has finally started publishing what the cap actually covers:

http://www.premiershiprugby.com/premiership/structure/index.php

On a wider note the increase was fairly inevitable o try and keep pace with the Irish and French, and in theory a bigger income from the new TV deals.
However ... most Jeff clubs still lose money, including the flag wavers of overspending Saracens and Bath.

There are two risks here :
1) Further inflation of wages and loses
2) A bigger gap between top and bottom of the table, haves and have nots

Unfortunately as always the French are leading the way to the future and dragging everyone else with them, a gradual creep toward soccernomics.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:21 pm

There goes England's International strength in depth, lets just buy players !
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:34 pm

munkian wrote:There goes England's International strength in depth, lets just buy players !

Or be in a position to pay the likes of flood enough to stay

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:07 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/25826969

So it's based on the extra revenue and sponsorship. Interesting to see what happens when the 5 union ERC cup is finalised.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:17 am

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:
munkian wrote:There goes England's International strength in depth, lets just buy players !

Does Flood leaving have anything to with money though?  Is it not that he is deeply unhappy with his standing regards the England national team?

From what I've heard if Flood had been getting the nod for England he wouldn't be leaving.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:21 am

Well yeah. Going to France loses his place. If he had one he'd stay for less money and England time. Without the England time he'd go for more money.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:24 am

Artful_Dodger wrote:

Does Flood leaving have anything to with money though?  Is it not that he is deeply unhappy with his standing regards the England national team?

From what I've heard if Flood had been getting the nod for England he wouldn't be leaving.

He wasn't "deeply unhappy" about anything, he wants to play for england but understands he'll be playing less and less for them and wanted to free up an eps space.

There were a number of reasons that helped him make that decision, one being money.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:25 am

what isn't mentioned in the OP is that they'll be making the salary cap policing more transparent and making and fines/points deductions public.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:31 am

nathan wrote:
Artful_Dodger wrote:

He wasn't "deeply unhappy" about anything, he wants to play for england but understands he'll be playing less and less for them and wanted to free up an eps space.

There were a number of reasons that helped him make that decision, one being money.

Hes not deeply unhappy about not getting picked for England?  I struggle to believe that.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:33 am

Artful_Dodger wrote:
nathan wrote:
Artful_Dodger wrote:

Hes not deeply unhappy about not getting picked for England?  I struggle to believe that.

I don't care really what you want to believe, He understands where his career is at.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:38 am

nathan wrote:
Artful_Dodger wrote:
nathan wrote:
Artful_Dodger wrote:

I don't care really what you want to believe, He understands where his career is at.

Which is presumably out of international contention at the age of 28.  Its not really about what I want to believe, I'm just examining the situation and to me it seems like he is...and I say again....deeply unhappy with his situation whilst playing in England with particular regard to not being England's 10.  Sorry if that hits a raw nerve, its not supposed to, I was just responding to the above post by Peter which suggested that there wasn't enough money to keep him when there there is at least a strong argument that this has more to do with him not being given the nod for England that it does money.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:42 am

But you have fabricated the "deeply unhappy" bit right? It's not been mentioned anywhere or you know a guy who knows a guy?

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:43 am

HammerofThunor wrote:But you have fabricated the "deeply unhappy" bit right? It's not been mentioned anywhere or you know a guy who knows a guy?

Hammer are you seriously saying you don't believe Flood is unhappy with being behind at least Owen Farrell and that this has been a big factor in him going to France?  I mean seriously.....

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:48 am

So you have made it up? Speculation, etc. "I mean it's obviously true" type of thing?

I'd go for disappointed but "deeply unhappy" is a bit much. He's not a child and there's actual competition for places in England (even if it's between average players Smile)

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:52 am

Hammer, I know a Tigers fan on facebook and he and others have insinuated that this is the case and I'm sure it has been insinuated on this board as well, not that I'm going to start trawling through threads looking for specific posts.  As I said above I seem to have hit a bit of raw nerve, that was not my intention but I'm not going to continue this conversation with it being construed that I am completely making up a scenario which has been openly talked about up until now.  

Best of luck.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:12 am

It's just the terminology you used. You discounted the fact he's being offered a lot of money and doesn't have the carrot of international rugby to keep him and instead focus on him being "deeply upset".

Personally the first makes a lot more sense and fits with what he's been quoted as saying. Don't get me wrong, speculation is what fills these boards but I tend to prefer the simpler solution.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down