The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can Boris Becker Work For Novak?

+7
Silver
bogbrush
JuliusHMarx
michael_o
HM Murdock
hawkeye
CaledonianCraig
11 posters

Go down

Can Boris Becker Work For Novak? Empty Can Boris Becker Work For Novak?

Post by Guest Tue 21 Jan 2014, 4:33 pm

An article under a similar title of a previous one that was locked which was necessary, but I thought it had a good point in there somewhere.

First of all I dont think Boris is on the way out after today, hes not had enough time yet and Novak knows that, hes not a chop and change sort of guy. I wonder though what sort of thing Boris is gonna bring in the next year or soo. He never seemed like the coaching sort of bloke to me... hed certainly be good to help Novak get forward more, and be attacking but what else? Do you guys think theyre really a good fit?

Back to top Go down

Can Boris Becker Work For Novak? Empty Re: Can Boris Becker Work For Novak?

Post by CaledonianCraig Tue 21 Jan 2014, 4:42 pm

Sorry but for me there is no mileage in this point at this time. Becker has only begun in his role so is akin to sacking a football manager after two weeks in the job......crazy. Remember that Novak had a deteriorating sort of year last year so this is a mere continuation of that. Is Boris the man for the job? Well he needs time first and then we will know but now is ludicrously too soon to be writing his epitaph.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Tue 21 Jan 2014, 4:48 pm

Why was it necessary to lock my thread?

Was it because I posted it under a catchy heading? It is a question that is being asked everywhere. If you don't believe me just google "Boris Becker".

This is ridiculous discrimination against me! Did someone complain that they didn't want this subject talked about. Did someone complain about the headline. I can think of no valid reasons why this subject should be censured in fact I have no idea why it is in the least contraversial.

CC. well don't talk about it then  Rolling Eyes

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Tue 21 Jan 2014, 4:48 pm

Becker will never make a volleyer out of Novak. He has improved in this respect and will continue to do so, but as we saw today, that particular skill does not come easily to him.

Becker is there to sort Novak out mentally, to stop the lapses in concentration.

Can he succeed? I don't know. Personally, I'm not sure that can be taught.

But I hope so, because it's blooming frustrating!

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 21 Jan 2014, 4:50 pm

Fair enough Cal, but the thread is here now for people who might wanna discuss Becker and his role.
HE, it might have been more that you wernt all that polite to the mods.

Back to top Go down

Post by michael_o Tue 21 Jan 2014, 4:54 pm

Does anyone know if Marian Vajda is still part of the coaching team? I haven't noticed him in the players' box during the AO. The man who guided Novak to 6 Grand Slam titles surely hasn't been jettisoned?

michael_o

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue 21 Jan 2014, 4:55 pm

Must be more to it than that HM - Djoko might just as well go to a sports psychologist for the mental side. I think Djoko sees more to having Becker around than just that. He's a keen watcher of the game, so will have ideas on other opponents, and his background will allow him to offer more tactically - new ideas, suggestions, possibly ideas he's gained from watching other players practice, in his press role.
I agree that he probably won't be working too much on technique though.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Tue 21 Jan 2014, 5:04 pm

Julius. I know you have locked my thread on this subject (I'm not sure why?) but am I allowed to give my view on Djokovic's coaching relationship with Becker here? If so am I allowed to say I don't think it will last or can I only say it will last?

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue 21 Jan 2014, 5:06 pm

I think Becker is an idiot really, and I can't see what there was in his game that he can bring to Djokovic. He mostly talks nonsense in commentary but is great comedy material.

Lendl - brought the experience of multi-Slam failure who turned it round to Murray.

Edberg matches Rogers elegance and is a hero of his who may help.

Becker threw himself around a lot and was a serve volleyer. What has this got to do with Djokovic? Maybe he's just there to bring personality to the Djokovic set up.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Tue 21 Jan 2014, 5:19 pm

I do see what you are saying bogbrush. However, surely we must wait and see before judging. Remember Novak's career has stuttered somewhat over the last 12 months so today was waiting to happen - with or without Boris.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Tue 21 Jan 2014, 5:44 pm

I don't see any difference in the Becker and Edberg appointments. If anything, the Edberg one is even more speculative.

What do we expect Edberg to impart to Federer? He's a lesser player than Federer and has no record of extending success into his 30s.

It's mainly a chance for Roger to be around one of his heroes.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Tue 21 Jan 2014, 5:53 pm

JHM - yes, Becker will be an experienced voice in Novak's ear. He may introduce some new patterns to Novak's play.

But he could get that from any coach. Why go for a former multi-slam winner? I reckon Novak wanted someone who's faced the situations and the pressure that he is facing.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Tue 21 Jan 2014, 5:54 pm

I think the Edberg appointment may relate more to motivation than anything else. Federer will get his arse into that gym and put in the work if Edberg's overseeing it, I suspect. As HM says, at this stage in his career he's grasped the opportunity to work with one of his sporting heroes.

Not a fan of Becker's either, but he needs more time. At the top level, matches are decided by such minute adjustments and fluctuations, and as such is very complex...a lot can happen in a short space of time on court, but the work done away from it takes more time to settle and kick in.

Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue 21 Jan 2014, 5:54 pm

HM Murdoch wrote:I don't see any difference in the Becker and Edberg appointments. If anything, the Edberg one is even more speculative.

What do we expect Edberg to impart to Federer? He's a lesser player than Federer and has no record of extending success into his 30s.

It's mainly a chance for Roger to be around one of his heroes.
I quite agree - Federer long ago stopped seeking guidance from elsewhere. I think he hires people to do what he wants: Annacone for volleying, Edberg for..... whatever.

It's the Becker appointment that baffles me because Novok isn't in at Rogers position and I can't see what Becker can give him. His antics in that match looked absurd; he was more agitated than is useful. He should be dispassionately analysing, not jumping up and down like a fool.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Tue 21 Jan 2014, 6:05 pm

bogbrush wrote:It's the Becker appointment that baffles me because Novok isn't in at Rogers position and I can't see what Becker can give him.
It can only be confidence.

They won't change the serve.

They will work on volleys and transition but Novak will never be more than a baseliner with some bells and whistles.

So all we are left with is helping him find a bit of confidence and calm in big moments.

I can't see what else Becker can offer.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Tue 21 Jan 2014, 8:23 pm

"It's been the first official tournament for us. I'm satisfied with things that we've been talking about, working on," said the Serb.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/25832773

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue 21 Jan 2014, 8:36 pm

HM Murdoch wrote:
bogbrush wrote:It's the Becker appointment that baffles me because Novok isn't in at Rogers position and I can't see what Becker can give him.
It can only be confidence.

They won't change the serve.

They will work on volleys and transition but Novak will never be more than a baseliner with some bells and whistles.

So all we are left with is helping him find a bit of confidence and calm in big moments.

I can't see what else Becker can offer.
And he seemed to be the least calm person in the stadium today, standing up, chewing furiously, shouting.

If I had to pick a person from the past to help Novak I might looked to someone like Sampras or Agassi.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue 21 Jan 2014, 8:40 pm

I've always suspected Federer hires coaches because touring the globe with the wife can get cumbersome and he just wants someone to ogle at how good he is
#humble
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Tue 21 Jan 2014, 8:42 pm

TBH, Djokovic's burning desire is the French Open. So hiring Becker just seems bizarre.

If he wanted that missing piece of the puzzle, why not appoint someone like Mats Wilander or Jim Courier? Both great clay court players.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Tue 21 Jan 2014, 8:57 pm

Can Boris Becker work for Novak?

Yes, and get paid rather nicely for it too!
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Tue 21 Jan 2014, 9:06 pm

He only gets paid in Gerrmmann schokolada and hair products.

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue 21 Jan 2014, 9:14 pm

kingraf wrote:I've always suspected Federer hires coaches because touring the globe with the wife can get cumbersome and he just wants someone to ogle at how good he is
#humble
Given Federer is probably one of the most intelligent guys involved in the sport - not just playing - it's hard to see how someone is going to see something he doesn't. I too think he just likes the 'right' sort of people around him who will help him do what he's decided to do.

This Becker thing just seems more crazy the more I think about it. I honestly can't see the point.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Tue 21 Jan 2014, 9:20 pm

kingraf wrote:I've always suspected Federer hires coaches because touring the globe with the wife can get cumbersome

I've always suspected that "the wife" does a little coaching herself. Mirka is Federer's secret weapon and he is very fortunate to have her.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue 21 Jan 2014, 9:26 pm

He is fortunate to have her. No idea how he convinced her he was worth having around while he had that mess of hair and hadn't won a coin toss yet...
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed 22 Jan 2014, 1:03 am

Perhaps there is a similarity/connection of circumstances between Djokovic and Becker. We know about the Lendl and Murray connection being Lendl's losing slam streak to start his career mirrored by Murray. If you look at Becker's career it, like Djokovic had a number of slam wins in a cluster spread over six years and then a barren spell of five years before another slam win to end his slam wins so Becker knows how to keep on going through seamless spell before turning it around.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down