The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AO Men's Semi-final - Berdych Vs Wawrinka

+8
ChequeredJersey
laverfan
CaledonianCraig
slashermcguirk
barrystar
banbrotam
Jahu
JuliusHMarx
12 posters

Go down

AO Men's Semi-final - Berdych Vs Wawrinka Empty AO Men's Semi-final - Berdych Vs Wawrinka

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:49 am

Should have it's own thread I think

1-1 atm

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

AO Men's Semi-final - Berdych Vs Wawrinka Empty Re: AO Men's Semi-final - Berdych Vs Wawrinka

Post by Jahu Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:52 am

Go Stan Go, explode him like a cheap Czech lager keg.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

AO Men's Semi-final - Berdych Vs Wawrinka Empty Re: AO Men's Semi-final - Berdych Vs Wawrinka

Post by Jahu Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:06 am

Stan breaks, 5:3 to serve for the set, go Stannnnnnnnnnnn
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:10 am

6;3 first set Stan.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:17 am

Come on Stan!!

Please let's have an all swiss final. I will certainly find it difficult to watch a final with boring boom boom Berdych in it!!

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:22 am

You sometimes scratch your head as to wear Stan has been for the last 5 years. I mean some of his play, is the best in the game

Love his variety - great to see this play that he Roger and Andy give us

I remember years ago saying that he was the best player outside the big 4 and that he should be permanetly in the Top 6. Only to be laughed at!! Glad to see it looks like coming true

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:23 am

I'd like to see Wawrinka get through too and spend a while outside Federer's shadow. Berdych I find annoying, I think he should have done a bit more in his career and I don't want to see him get to the final at Stan's expense.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:24 am

Oh yeah, double swiss chocolate final would be a dream.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:35 am

barrystar wrote:Berdych I find annoying, I think he should have done a bit more in his career

I try and stop myself feeling irritated by Berdych as I hate the idea of not liking someone I don't know (it's immature) and let's be honest Murray's body language / demeanour can be just as bad

But at least with Murray it's because he's failed with some outrageous shot, that he'd no right to be able to attempt, let alone achieve

Berdy brings nothing new. Every Slam I think to myself surely he's now added a bit of variety - but no he just does the same thing all the time

Actually, he's a great barometer of how good the quality of his rivals are at any given, simply because he still plays in the same way as he did in 2010

You have to admire his consistent power game, but that's it for me

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by slashermcguirk Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:36 am

It would be hard to begrudge berdych making the final, he has been very consistent at the slams and had more wins than most against the big 4 at the slams.

I would prefer stan to win but would be happy for berdych too. Would berdych not be the more likely thread to nadal, wawrinka has never even taken a set from rafa. That is assuming rafa beats fed which is more likely

slashermcguirk

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:41 am

Everytime i see Berdy, i get reminded of Soderling which I miss a lot Sad

Berdy is a arrogant little crow.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:56 am

banbrotam wrote:
barrystar wrote:Berdych I find annoying, I think he should have done a bit more in his career

I try and stop myself feeling irritated by Berdych as I hate the idea of not liking someone I don't know (it's immature) and let's be honest Murray's body language / demeanour can be just as bad

But at least with Murray it's because he's failed with some outrageous shot, that he'd no right to be able to attempt, let alone achieve

Berdy brings nothing new. Every Slam I think to myself surely he's now added a bit of variety - but no he just does the same thing all the time

Actually, he's a great barometer of how good the quality of his rivals are at any given, simply because he still plays in the same way as he did in 2010

You have to admire his consistent power game, but that's it for me

Quite - I have no feeling about him, or indeed any of them, as a person. It's only about what we see on Court that informs my views. As you say, it's the absence of variety despite the fact that Berdych must know that his play can get him so far and no further in the big draws; you kind of want to see him striving to break through the glass ceiling he's been under for all that time - he's 28, he won his first (and only) Masters in 2005 and has been a top 10 player for near on 4 years, but neither achievement has been a platform to go on to greater things. Wawrinka may have under-performed, but at least gives the impression of trying to improve himself and move up.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:57 am

BTW - I'll look like an Ass if Berdych wins and achieves his breakthrough on Sunday!
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:11 am

I said it yesterday and will say it again I have a sneaky to strong feeling Berdych will win this.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by slashermcguirk Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:12 am

I do recall also saying earlier in the week that wawrinka and berdych could well cause an upset against djokovic. Wawrinka was an obvious choice as he has consistently improved over the past year but berdych was really comfortable coming through his draw.

The win for either player today could really be the making of them even if a little later than expected in their careers.

Would be amazing to see wawrinka beat federer in the final, having played in his shadow his whole career

slashermcguirk

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:14 am

Just to add I would much sooner see Stan win but it has the hallmarks of a player not being able to raise themselves to a high standard immediately after the biggest win of his career.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:46 am

There will be more posts than on this thread by this stage in tomorrow's SF, that's for sure.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by slashermcguirk Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:17 am

By the way did wawrinka always have such a big serve? Don't remember it being such a weapon in the past, he is getting a lot of free points off it over the past year. Looking at stats today he is not far behind big berd in the ace count and 1st / 2nd serve speed

slashermcguirk

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:24 am

Come on Stan, finish it in 4. Fed awaits in final and an extra day rest before the final, is a good bonus.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:29 am

slashermcguirk wrote:By the way did wawrinka always have such a big serve? Don't remember it being such a weapon in the past, he is getting a lot of free points off it over the past year. Looking at stats today he is not far behind big berd in the ace count and 1st / 2nd serve speed

Yes - it's a big weapon today. Stan's only faced one bp which he won, and he's broken Berdych only once. It's obviously a hellish tight match with very evenly matched stats. It's quite possible they'll grind their way to a third successive tb.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by slashermcguirk Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:55 am

132 points all!! Doesn't get much closer than that :-)

slashermcguirk

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:06 pm

Come on Stan, close it nowwwwwwwwwww
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:10 pm

Yesssssssssssssss STan does itttttttttttttttttttt
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by slashermcguirk Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:17 pm

Take a bow stan the man!  clap 

slashermcguirk

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:19 pm

Very glad for Wawrinka. Kept his Nerve. Hat-off to Magnus as well.

It is normal for you [Federer], but first time for me - Poignant, but he is slowly emerging from the shadow of his peer.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:22 pm

I want Fed to win the Final, but if Stan does, I will be equally pleased Smile
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:23 pm

Nice to see a new face in a slam final. Stan's worked really hard over the last 2 or 3 years and it's paid dividends.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:32 pm

If Nadal's at all off colour at the French, I would now put Stan as clear second favourite

After all the dirt, is probably his favourite surface

i.e. US Open Semi, Aus Open F (I think he will lose), French Open Winner ???!!!!!

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:34 pm

Amen!!!
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:16 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:Nice to see a new face in a slam final. Stan's worked really hard over the last 2 or 3 years and it's paid dividends.

Berdych (2010), Tsonga (2008), Del Potro (2009), Ferrer (2013), Djokovic (2008), Murray (2012) quite a few over the last few years.

(Wee Keira has been discarded laughingRun).

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:46 pm

Well done Stan! Think he has a chance against Fed in the final, so let's see what happens. Can't see him reversing the trend vs Rafa but Fed could and then I like the all Swiss final. At least Berdy can't win any more, not a fan
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:51 pm

Extra motivation for Fed against Nadal.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:46 pm

Pleased that I was wrong and that Stan won. Through to his first slam final - a momentus occasion for him. Fingers crossed he can do himself justice.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:20 pm

Just caught a few highlights when I got home. Looked like a close match, kudos to Stan...well deserved after many years of hard graft. Nice interview, too!

Good response from Berdych at the net, a good tournament for him overall.

Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:31 pm

clap Well done Stan the Man. I'd love to see him lift the title on Sunday in straight sets against his good "mate" Roger.

Re Berdych: The most one dimensional player the game has ever seen? (I include Ferrer in that)
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:49 pm

I've just watched highlights of the match and the thing that stands out most to be is that Stan looks fairly in-shape. I used to call him "Fat Stan" but he's looking pretty solid now. You can see in his face he's shifted some weight and looks much better for it. Norman has done a top job there.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:18 pm

Stan has improved his fitness, his return of serve, his movement, and his confidence. All these factors are interrelated as well. I would like to see him win the semi. I really don't like Berdych. But I feel like Berdy winning will provide the most competitive slam final. For whatever reason over their careers he has more wins over Rog and Rafa than Stan has. Stan has a lot of problems with those two while he does better against Murray and Djoko. I think this is Berdych's best chance at a slam. Nadal's got the blisters and his form has dipped. Federer is playing great but Berdy has played him well and beaten him in some big matches the last few years. But in terms of H2H stan holds the 8-5 edge and should be the favorite in the Semi against Berdy. So stan also is getting his best shot as slam. I actually think this semi will be better Semi.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:59 pm

Well done to Stan who I felt deserved a final place the most after taking down Djokovic as well as some good performances this year.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down