The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gatland and Robin

4 posters

Go down

Gatland and Robin Empty Gatland and Robin

Post by Scratch Fri 24 Jan - 19:23

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/ronan-ogara-someone-will-always-fill-your-shoes-254172.html

Seems Gatland has formed a dynamic duo with ROG who hasn't dropped a bomb like this since 'that' kick chase in 2009 when the 2nd test and series went up in smoke at Loftus.

I have always respected his achievements in the green shirt and felt he was never Lions material,  which was underlined by his performance in 2009, but what he fails to understand is that Welsh players are left with little alternative in a short career, to follow what is best for them and their families. To suggest Welsh players lack pride is a gross misunderstanding of what the problems they face are.

The movement of Welsh players to France is not a reflection of lack of pride in regional Welsh rugby, it is a reflection of something far worse, that Welsh rugby is at a crossroads at regional level and is in decline as a direct result. Viability is now a real concern.

That the national side has achieved so much is a miracle in that context and ROG has done a Gatland on his own team, I am pretty sure when the boys come to Dublin they will show just how much pride they have in their game

Last edited by Scratch on Fri 24 Jan - 20:32; edited 1 time in total

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Gatland and Robin Empty Re: Gatland and Robin

Post by Guest Fri 24 Jan - 19:45

Scratch wrote:http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/ronan-ogara-someone-will-always-fill-your-shoes-254172.html

Seems Gatland has formed a dynamic duo with ROG who hasn't dropped a bomb like this since 'that' kick chase in 2009 when the 2nd test and series went up in smoke at Loftus.

I have always respected his achievements in the green shirt and felt he was never Lions material,  which was underlined by his performance in 2009, but what he fails to understand is that Welsh players are left with little alternative in a short career, to follow what is best for them and their families. To suggest Welsh players lack pride is a gross misunderstanding of what the problems they face are.

The movement of Welsh players to France is not a reflection of lack of pride in regional Welsh rugby, it is a reflection of something far worse, that Welsh rugby is at a crossroads at regional level and is in decline as a direct result. Viability is now a real concern.

That the national side has achieved so much is a miracle in that context and ROG has done a Gatland on his own team, I am pretty sure when the boys come to Dublin they will show just how much pride they have in their game

But then ROG was making the point that the players play with pride when wearing the Wales shirt:

"......it’s all about the Welsh jersey. "

I'm not sure what you mean by ROG doing a 'Gatland on his own team'?

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Fri 24 Jan - 20:02

They don't have rugby in Oz?

Gatland is renowned for putting his foot in it pre game and continues to do so ref BOD and his Christmas card list.

As for his remarks about the Welsh jersey, it's a bit like giving someone a kiss after you kicked them in the balls.

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 24 Jan - 20:10

Some Irish fans posted recently that Jamie Heaslip was on 400,000 euros per season (old contract; not sure about the new one). It does make it easier to stay when the money being offered is at that level, pride or no pride. That's the sort of money the welsh players are moving for, so could be the sort of money that would keep them if it was available.

I doubt if any player in Wales is on more than £200,000 a year.

Last edited by Griff on Fri 24 Jan - 20:37; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Fri 24 Jan - 20:15

Griff wrote:Some Irish fans posted recently that Jamie Heaslip was on 400,000 euros per season (old contract; not sure about the new one). It does make it easier to stay when the money being offered is at that level, pride or no pride. That's the sort of money the welsh players are moving for, so could be the sort of money that would keep them if it was available.

I doubt if anymore player in Wales is on more than 200,000.

That's the point griff, why are pro rugby players, who we all know are just commodities, expected to be proud of a set up that is dismissing their needs when the market drives their careers in a short window of opportunity.

As for ROG's sanctimonious lesson, i take it Sexton is exempt.

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 24 Jan - 20:32

Scratch wrote:They don't have rugby in Oz?

Gatland is renowned for putting his foot in it pre game and continues to do so ref BOD and his Christmas card list.

As for his remarks about the Welsh jersey, it's a bit like giving someone a kiss after you kicked them in the balls.

I'm fairly certain they do have rugby in Oz, yes. I'm not from Oz though. Ireland  king 

If you mean adding some extra incentive for Wales to give it their all against us, I don't think ROG's comment are going to fire them up any more than they will be anyway. It will be a game with a bit more spice than usual for sure, but if it comes close to matching the intensity of last seasons game then both sets of fans are in for a treat. I think it will.

Maybe some players need a good kick, Scratch, and if nothing else it may challenge current region players to ask themselves if his words can any way apply to them.

Reading some of the regions fans forums; they would tend to agree with ROG, even if unintentionally.

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Fri 24 Jan - 20:35

It's ROG that needs the good kick….and Munchkins come from OZ!!  Very Happy 

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 24 Jan - 20:39

Scratch wrote:It's ROG that needs the good kick….and Munchkins come from OZ!!  Very Happy 

ROG wouldn't feel it. Indeed  idea  That Oz  Very Happy  How quickly I forget my past life eh  Very Happy 

Back to top Go down

Post by slane Fri 24 Jan - 20:57

Scratch wrote:http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/ronan-ogara-someone-will-always-fill-your-shoes-254172.html

I have always respected his achievements in the green shirt and felt he was never Lions material,  which was underlined by his performance in 2009,

What, the same ROG that kicked the drop goal that won Ireland a Grand Slam in Wales

but what he fails to understand is that Welsh players are left with little alternative in a short career, to follow what is best for them and their families. To suggest Welsh players lack pride is a gross misunderstanding of what the problems they face are.

The problem they face is a lack of pride from fans. For example, looking at the Irish provances I can't remember the last time a Munster, Leinster or Ulster game was not sold out, contrast that with the Welsh regions. Top players leaving dosn't help matters.

Agreed.

Nonsense.

You seem to be suggesting that A) the Welsh players are easily offended and B) that this will somehow translate into Ireland get flattened by the Welsh, whose pride is on the line. Thats all well and good but you seem to have forgot what Ireland did to Wales on their own patch last year.
 censored 

slane

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Fri 24 Jan - 21:06

slane wrote:

I have always respected his achievements in the green shirt and felt he was never Lions material,  which was underlined by his performance in 2009,

What, the same ROG that kicked the drop goal that won Ireland a Grand Slam in Wales

And cost us a Lions series

but what he fails to understand is that Welsh players are left with little alternative in a short career, to follow what is best for them and their families. To suggest Welsh players lack pride is a gross misunderstanding of what the problems they face are.

The problem they face is a lack of pride from fans. For example, looking at the Irish provances I can't remember the last time a Munster, Leinster or Ulster game was not sold out, contrast that with the Welsh regions. Top players leaving dosn't help matters.

Rubbish, the problem is money and the relationship between Union, regions, sponsors and tv.

Agreed.

Nonsense.

You seem to be suggesting that A) the Welsh players are easily offended and B) that this will somehow translate into Ireland get flattened by the Welsh, whose pride is on the line. Thats all well and good but you seem to have forgot what Ireland did to Wales on their own patch last year.
 censored 

No i remember, i also remember what we did to you on your patch the year before when we won another Slam and successfully defended this year

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 24 Jan - 21:16

The fact that the Welsh boys might get offended and flatten Ireland in Dublin is neither here nor there. If anything it would just bear out the point ROG is making- once again Welsh players look world class for their country and deeply sub-par for their regions. Once again proof that Welsh players perform internationally, and yet struggle to put in performances at regional level. O'Garas point is that in Wales, playing for your region is nothing like the same kind of honour as playing for your country. International rugby is the pinnacle.

In Ireland, playing for Munster or Ulster or Leinster is viewed as an honour equivalent to international rugby at times. The foreign players who succeed are the ones who buy into that culture. The fans buy into that too. We have had the exact opposite problem; players that look good in the Heineken Cup not performing in the Six Nations.

Different cultures that exist in two very different countries. I don't think the Welsh regions underperformance is down to 'pride' though. I think its down to a number of different factors.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 24 Jan - 21:26

Surely the Welsh national performance vs regional performance conundrum is more logical than Ireland's?

In Wales the regions are not so good, but take the best parts of them and put them together and you have something better. The best bits from 4 teams are selected and together they produce a very good team (on a European level, which is where we're looking at their regions' performances).

In Ireland you have an embarrassment of riches at club level, 3 sides right at the top of Europe, but when you take the best bits and put them together for the Ireland squad (which should mean a phenomenal, Europe beating side) they perform no better than Wales. Over the past few years perhaps worse. How so?! It doesn't seem logical to me.

Back to top Go down

Post by slane Fri 24 Jan - 22:14

Griff wrote:Surely the Welsh national performance vs regional performance conundrum is more logical than Ireland's?

In Wales the regions are not so good, but take the best parts of them and put them together and you have something better. The best bits from 4 teams are selected and together they produce a very good team (on a European level, which is where we're looking at their regions' performances).

In Ireland you have an embarrassment of riches at club level, 3 sides right at the top of Europe, but when you take the best bits and put them together for the Ireland squad (which should mean a phenomenal, Europe beating side) they perform no better than Wales. Over the past few years perhaps worse. How so?! It doesn't seem logical to me.

Declan Kidney

slane

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 24 Jan - 22:14

Nor me. We're hoping that a new coach can revitalise the side. I think Declan Kidney was treading water for a long, long time. Real problems with the coaching set-up. But the people who want to lay all the blame at Kidneys door and think Schmidt can transform the side over night are being a bit unrealistic too.

We're just going to have to wait and see what happens with Ireland this year- its actually pretty fascinating. I have no idea what Ireland team is going to turn up. I think we could finish between 4th and 1st. I genuinely think we can win it. Or we could be a disaster.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 24 Jan - 22:28

For what it's worth I predict a disaster (relatively) for Wales. Of course our media will/are talking us up for a potential record 3rd championships in a row. I guess while it's mathematically possible the media will always try to talk it up!

But for me I think the players are generally not is as good club form as they usually are (individually I mean. The clubs are always not very good). Maybe the old lions hang up thing. Plus we've got a lot of injuries (excuses, excuses!) and internationals not having played much, if at all, since returning from injury so our usual lack of depth is going to be even more of a factor.

Mid table prediction from this Welsh fan - perhaps all home game wins, and away losses. I actually think Ireland away will be a bit of a tonking for us (like last year could have been).

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 24 Jan - 22:37

slane wrote:
Griff wrote:Surely the Welsh national performance vs regional performance conundrum is more logical than Ireland's?

Declan Kidney

Maybe. Although Declan got Munster playing some of the best, hardest, passionate European rugby I've had the pleasure of seeing. Few could cope with Munster in the Kidney era. On the other hand, Schmidt (and Cheika admittedly) had Leinster playing some of the best running rugby I've ever seen in Europe (perhaps even globally at club level). I guess the challenge is pulling the rest of the provinces players together into the club style that worked so well for them. I'm expecting Schmidt to do better than Kidney though. Not sure why. Just a gut feeling.

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Fri 24 Jan - 23:34

Scratch wrote:but what he fails to understand is that Welsh players are left with little alternative in a short career

Surely Scratch, with the "Welsh Legends" this is rarely the case.

Many go onto coaching/manager careers, as well as media, press, commentating careers, and are the most prolific after-dinner-speakers on the circuit bar none.

So for many of the potential stars of welsh rugby the object is f@@k the regional game, get into the Welsh team fast track and cling onto your jersey for 50-60 caps and then at 26-30 yrs of age turn your back on the team that got them onto the international stage, become a cash journey man for 3-4 season, then close off your career back in Welsh rugby with perhaps a lower rated region (no disrespect to NGD at this point). All of a sudden you then see them becoming regional backs/forward coach, whilst commentating on BBC Wales/S4C/Sky/BT, whilst bringing out their second autobiography, and opening supermarkets, motivational courses for commercial management, before rushing off to do their After Dinner Events on the weekend....... and then some.

For the majority of the Welsh legends since the 1970s, they have very long, very lucrative careers, and I believe ROGs article is pretty much spot on.

Last edited by flyhalffactory on Sat 25 Jan - 13:49; edited 1 time in total
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Sat 25 Jan - 6:28

Griff wrote:For what it's worth I predict a disaster (relatively) for Wales. Of course our media will/are talking us up for a potential record 3rd championships in a row. I guess while it's mathematically possible the media will always try to talk it up!

But for me I think the players are generally not is as good club form as they usually are (individually I mean. The clubs are always not very good). Maybe the old lions hang up thing. Plus we've got a lot of injuries (excuses, excuses!) and internationals not having played much, if at all, since returning from injury so our usual lack of depth is going to be even more of a factor.

Mid table prediction from this Welsh fan - perhaps all home game wins, and away losses. I actually think Ireland away will be a bit of a tonking for us (like last year could have been).

Club form means nought, ask ROG, they only turn up for Wales so 3 wins in a row is a certainty

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Sat 25 Jan - 8:23

flyhalffactory wrote:
Scratch wrote:but what he fails to understand is that Welsh players are left with little alternative in a short career

Many go onto coaching/manager careers, as well as media, press, commentating careers, and are the most prolific after-dinner-speakers on the circuit bar none.

So for many of the potential stars of welsh rugby the object is f@@k the regional game, get into the Welsh team fast track and cling onto your jersey for 50-60 caps and then at 26-30 yrs of age turn your back on the team that got them onto the international stage, become a cash journey man for 3-4 season, then close off your career back in Welsh rugby with perhaps a lower rated region (no disrespect to NGD at this point). All of a sudden you then see them becoming regional backs/forward coach, whilst commentating on BBC Wales/S4C/Sky/BT, whilst bringing out their second autobiography, and opening supermarkets, motivational courses for commercial management, before rushing off to do their After Dinner Events on the weekend....... and then some.

For the majority of the Welsh legends since the 1970s, they have very long, very lucrative careers, and I believe ROGs article is pretty much spot on.

And this is an exclusively Welsh condition is it? I Think not. Billy Beaumont, Andy Irvine and Keith Wood will still be telling big lies at Lodge dinners.

Actually I cannot see the relevance of what amateur players went on to do to this current scenario, the dynamics of amateur rugby and the pro game are as to be so different that to relate them to the current period suggests a fundamental misunderstanding of the issues facing Welsh regional rugby.

Must be only Welsh players who are market driven and follow the cash is that what you're saying…fact is the cash in Wales is with the Union not the clubs, perhaps in Scotland where the stars shine much less brighter they settle for less but the Welsh players are in huge demand because of their European success. In Ireland the fanaticism is enough it seems, perhaps not for Jonny Sexton though. In England the money is there at club level; 5 mill pay cap.

Point is, players follow the money and why shouldn't they, its a pro game. To suggest that in doing so they betray pride in their game is BS. Ther is a huge discrepancy between their regional and national achievements and that is the real point of ROG's bitter article, but that is not because the players aren't proud, it is because they sell their services just like the rest of us and the market decides where those services are most valuable.

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Sat 25 Jan - 14:55

Scratch wrote:
flyhalffactory wrote:

And this is an exclusively Welsh condition is it? I Think not. Billy Beaumont, Andy Irvine and Keith Wood will still be telling big lies at Lodge dinners.

Actually I cannot see the relevance of what amateur players went on to do to this current scenario, the dynamics of amateur rugby and the pro game are as to be so different that to relate them to the current period suggests a fundamental misunderstanding of the issues facing Welsh regional rugby.

Must be only Welsh players who are market driven and follow the cash is that what you're saying…fact is the cash in Wales is with the Union not the clubs, perhaps in Scotland where the stars shine much less brighter they settle for less but the Welsh players are in huge demand because of their European success. In Ireland the fanaticism is enough it seems, perhaps not for Jonny Sexton though. In England the money is there at club level; 5 mill pay cap.

Point is, players follow the money and why shouldn't they, its a pro game. To suggest that in doing so they betray pride in their game is BS. Ther is a huge discrepancy between their regional and national achievements and that is the real point of ROG's bitter article, but that is not because the players aren't proud, it is because they sell their services just like the rest of us and the market decides where those services are most valuable.

Scratch.
I didn't say it is purely a trait and exclusivity to the top Welsh players to have a very long and lucrative career in rugby, after the hang up their boots.
I didn't say it was a purely exclusive Welsh trait to turn your back on the region that made your name and sell out for a few seasons to a foreign "non Welsh team", there are a number of Scots who ply their trade outside of Scotland, some even in Wales (Barclay, Schlong, and Nikki Walker to mention a few).

However your comment kinda reflects the current Welsh attitude of players and their fan base

Scratch wrote:perhaps in Scotland where the stars shine much less brighter they settle for less but the Welsh players are in huge demand because of their European success.

The massive misconception here is that Welsh players have done better on a regional basis that the Scottish players, Edinburgh and Glasgow as a whole have done as well as the welsh regions on the European stage. You have had almost zero success on the European water mark, i.e. the Heineken Cup, and only the Ospreys have had some success in the Rabo or its predecessor.

However contrast that to the International equation then these players who are suddenly in the limelight of the Nation as opposed to an average 6-7,000 fan base become "NH & European Beaters", whilst the other countries players seem to concentrate on the club success consistently then hope this form is transferred to the national and international stage.

I believe this is ROGs beef with the rationale of the "Welsh Rugby Player" and particularly when compared to the "Irish Rugby Player"...... Leinster, Munster, and Ulster have all done considerably better on the European stage and Ireland have balanced that with some considerably success on the international level.

However I totally agree with you it could be a market driven industry (its not entirely however as all sides gets more or less equal funding from their individual rugby unions, so they are not market driven), however if that is your rationale then get rid of the funding from the four unions and lets all players skill set be the driver for salary expectations, and management team for the success of their clubs.

And to clarify its not just the armature players who have extended their career in rugby beyond their playing days, I believe we saw Shane commentating during the 6Ns and on S4C, Martyn Williams/Tom Shanklin on BBC1 6Ns & BBC2 Rabo commentary teams whilst already representing organisations inside and outside of rugby........
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat 25 Jan - 15:32

Flyhalffactory, as you probably know well yourself BBC Alba often invite current Edinburgh and Glasgow players to co-commentate on Pro12 games. Normally guys who are injured. Whats most strange about it is that the main commentator speaks in Scottish Gaelic and the guest players/co-commentators speak English but on the whole it works very well. As a general rule I find the commentators who speak the languages I don't much less irritating than the ones I understand.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Sat 25 Jan - 16:49

Notch wrote:Flyhalffactory, as you probably know well yourself BBC Alba often invite current Edinburgh and Glasgow players to co-commentate on Pro12 games. Normally guys who are injured. Whats most strange about it is that the main commentator speaks in Scottish Gaelic and the guest players/co-commentators speak English but on the whole it works very well. As a general rule I find the commentators who speak the languages I don't much less irritating than the ones I understand.

Afternoon Notch

BBC Alba is a bit like S4C and TG4 in as much as its massive critics as it receives something like £18m and its target audience is less that 250k (the Gaelic community) however I think we have 650k viewers consistently, but by teaming up with our Irish and Welsh cousins it provides a quality broadcasting service and its core commitment is to promote the minority language in Scotland . You are spot on with the commentators both 'Pluto' Murray and "the Doc" Hugh Dan MacLennan are knowledgeable and passionate about their sport and are not in it for the money but in it for the sport and the community.

You cannot help but forgive MacLennan for his passionate commentary as he is a sporting legend and sporting academic and committed to the Gaelic cause, and with expert help from current and past Scotland players (the Leinster v Glasgow match with Weegies Chris Fusaro analysing was superb) it definitely gives a credible feel about the programme.
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down