The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Justifying Tyson's Place Among the Greats (from 606)

Go down

Justifying Tyson's Place Among the Greats (from 606) Empty Justifying Tyson's Place Among the Greats (from 606)

Post by fearlessBamber Thu 19 May 2011, 10:25 am

I believe Tyson to be a top 10 ATG. Around 8 - 12, depending on mood. People say his peak was too short and who'd he beat ? Truth is with the exception of Ali, Louis and Holmes, they all have questionable reigns and the bottom 6 (assuming Ali, Louis, Holmes and Johnson are top 4 are open to debate.

Few thoughts on fighters that regularly appear in the top 10 here.

Lewis looked pedestrian, awkward and lacked rhythm in many of his fights. He was sparked by single punches from level B fighters and had no Ying to his Yang - Borderline top 10 for me - in the mix with Tyson, but below him for me.

I don't know much about Jeffries, but know he was easily out boxed and was far more suited to 25 rounders than 12. He only had 22 fights, was humiliated at age 35 by Johnson. Ok his opposition was very good for those fights, but were there really enough of them for him to be in the mix with the top 10. I would place Jeffris 5 - 10 for the quality of opposition and above Tyson.

Foreman. Parallels with Tyson. Looked great blowing out opposition that suited him, but had a short reign - shorter than Tyson. Looked awful against Young and an ageing Ali and scraped through a life and death battle with Lyle. It's all about the first blowout of Frazer for Foreman who was made for him. Then we have the amazing comeback. Fun yes, but he was out boxed by Morrison, Schulz, and Briggs. Hit the jackpot against the oh so chinny Moorer, but his second career was all about novelty. Without it would Foreman be top 10 even ? It's questionable. A good boxer with movement who is not afraid to tie him up would always give him trouble - see Young fight.

Liston - ONE successful defence against a terrified Patterson before 2 humiliating capitulations against Ali. Few big wins pre reign notably against Williams and Folley, but is on shakier ground than Tyson in many ways.

Frazier had the style and motivation to take on Ali, but struggled with big punchers scraping past Bonavena and getting destroyed by Foreman. Only TWO successful defences

Tyson, beat everyone there was to beat in the mid to late 80's: Tubbs, Bruno, Spinks, Holmes Tucker, Berbick, Thomas, Smith and Biggs.

Tyson made NINE defences. It included destroying an old but not shot Larry Holmes and the linear champ in Spinks. He dominated his opposition totally as champ and on the way to the title and successfully reclaimed it after 4 years in jail.

fearlessBamber

Back to top Go down