The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Davis Cup Nostalgia From 2004

2 posters

Go down

Davis Cup Nostalgia From 2004 Empty Davis Cup Nostalgia From 2004

Post by hawkeye Sun 02 Feb 2014, 10:52 pm

After some recent talk about the Federer/Nadal semi I found this article about Nadal in one of his first important wins. A singles rubber in the Davis Cup final in 2004 against Roddick. I have just shown the Nadal related bits as it is a long article.

Those who camped out in the rain last week to buy the few remaining tickets to the first Davis Cup final between Spain and the United States were rewarded with a coming-of-age espectáculo from Spain's latest great talent, the 18-year-old Rafael Nadal. Chosen ahead of the former French Open champion Juan Carlos Ferrero, who has struggled this season, the 51st-ranked Nadal left no doubt that he belonged on the thick red clay in Seville: sprinting to his left and right to slash winners on the full stretch against the world's No. 2 player, Andy Roddick of the United States, winning by 6-7 (6-8), 6-2, 7-6 (8-6), 6-2.

Nadal's victory, only a slight upset on clay, was still quite an accomplishment considering that Roddick beat him in straight sets on a hardcourt at this year's U.S. Open and even more of an accomplishment considering that he missed more than two months this season with a stress fracture in his left foot.

"I have had a very tough year, especially after the injury," Nadal said. "I have been training very hard, and I think I do really deserve this victory."

In today's first singles match, Carlos Moya overwhelmed Mardy Fish of the United States by 6-4, 6-2, 6-3.
But the transcendent tennis was yet to come, and most of it would be provided by a teenager who hails from the same Mediterranean island, Majorca, as Moya. Seldom in the long history of the game have so many spectacular shots been hit from such extreme angles, and though Roddick played beautifully and bravely at times - pushing forward much more than was predictable or prudent on such a slow surface and hitting some remarkable volleys - Nadal's positive energy, passing shots and baseline brio eventually wore him down.

The key was the third set, in which both men held set points. Roddick saved two on his serve at 5-6. Nadal saved his in the tiebreaker at 5-6 with a fine drop shot that Roddick reached, just barely, with his forehand and smacked into the net. The Spaniard won the next two points to take the set, and despite cramps in his sturdy legs down the stretch, he broke a clearly dispirited Roddick's massive serve twice early in the fourth set and closed out the biggest victory of his career with relative ease.

"He showed a lot out there today," Roddick said. "I tried everything, and he played very well, so it's no secret that he has a very, very bright future." Moya has been hitting with Nadal since the youngster was 12. "I think he can be a great champion," Moya said. "He's the kind of guy that likes to play these kind of matches. So I really trust him. I believe in him."

The tennis world is full of youngsters who look terrific from the baseline in practice, but what makes for greatness is an ability to embrace the big occasion. Despite Spain's well-deserved reputation for embracing life with exuberance, its top players have generally been self-contained characters on court: Sergi Bruguera, Alex Corretja, Albert Costa, Moya and Ferrero. But Nadal wears his emotions on his sleeve, which would be a much more appropriate metaphor if he had not played today in a sleeveless shirt.

There are fist pumps, scissors kicks and howling, airborne delight. To sum up, he brings the crowd in - Jimmy Connors or Lleyton Hewitt style - which might not be the way to avoid running out of steam over the course of a long season or the way to endear himself to his peers but is certainly a way to endear himself to the Spanish. By the end of today's swashbuckling recital, they were thoroughly under his spell.

Nadal might have been forced to miss this year's French Open because of his foot injury. But in only his first year in tennis's premier team competition, Nadal has proven that Davis Cup pressure is definitely his thing: winning the decisive singles match in the first round against the Czech Republic and in the semifinals against the French.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/12/03/sports/tennis/03cnd-tennis.html?fta=y&_r=1&

Although Nadal was still just eighteen and had yet to even play in a French Open he had already built quite a reputation. That he was chosen ahead of such an experienced player as Ferraro (who I believe had not only won the FO but been the number one player too) to play what was the current world number two shows the high expectation that was already being placed on him. Even at such a young age judging from this description he relished being centre stage in what sounds like a dramatic atmosphere and he had already suffered injury problems. The article implies that his scissor kicks will not make him popular with his peers. Ha ha his peers should have and still should be more worried about his play.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Davis Cup Nostalgia From 2004 Empty Re: Davis Cup Nostalgia From 2004

Post by HM Murdock Mon 03 Feb 2014, 8:12 am

HE, I don't want to take your thread way off topic but I'm enjoying these articles written at the start of players' careers.

This one about Novak from 2005 made me laugh. It mentions his tennis... And also another aspect of him that you love so much. Wink

http://www.redorbit.com/news/sports/291782/djokovic_shatters_puertas_masters_cup_hopes/

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 03 Feb 2014, 9:29 am

Didn't you recently comment another thread about living in the past? Wink no-one cares for the past!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down