The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What is Heathland

+6
Doc
raycastleunited
super_realist
Maverick
drive4show
LondonJonnyO
10 posters

Go down

What is Heathland Empty What is Heathland

Post by LondonJonnyO Thu 19 May - 12:08

Heathland is described as being a dwarf shrub habitat on mainly acidic soil. But more than that there is no difference between Heathland and Moorland with the exception of the fact that moorlands are usually considered high ground heaths. That leads to the beasts that are often known to inhabit such moorlands with those terrifying creatures the beast of bodmin, the hound of the baskervilles... and other terrifying animals that roam these areas.

Of course it is a beast of a different nature that haunts the heathland courses of the UK. These include inner city judges, politicians and other evil members of our so called society.

Which is a shame really as these people often close off the course to everyone else in society as they aren't a member of the illuminati within the UK who are granted access. This is seen by high greenfees making such places out of reach of the general public.

Now considering that these courses can often be terms the truest form of golf, far surpassing links with it's lack of design since sheep pretty much did it for whoever stuck a flag in a beach for the first time, and parkland which is better used for growing potatoes usually it makes the attitude and pricing of these places a terrible shame. Surrey is particularly bad for this activity it should be known.

So heathland. A great place to park a golf course... but ruined by the stockbroker belt.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

What is Heathland Empty Re: What is Heathland

Post by drive4show Thu 19 May - 12:10

Both! Very Happy

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Thu 19 May - 12:16

I thought Heathland was just an amusement park dedicated to the memory of heath ledger

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Thu 19 May - 12:18

Maverick wrote:I thought Heathland was just an amusement park dedicated to the memory of heath ledger

laughing
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 19 May - 12:27

Brace yourself for Mac popping up and saying you can't make insensitive jokes like that.
He likes to get offended on other peoples behalf in a Guardianista fashion.

It did however make me laugh.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Thu 19 May - 12:29

I like the illuminati reference LJ. Take it that's a new form of strokeplay the upper echelons as they think themselves play where it they use leather wedge to improve score but claim to have done so within the rules of the path of illumination therefore are not subject to DQ under the normal R&A rulings!

As for inappropriate jokes, I could have mocked further but I refrained for the guardian readers and their sensitive demeanour!

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Thu 19 May - 12:30

Bang!
nail
on
the
head

best work so far this week. am looking forward to Friday's grand finale Ok!

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Thu 19 May - 12:40

Well done Commodore Johny0, straight to the point 8) If only I could afford to play these places, its not the subs or the green fees, its the amount of balls I have to buy to play one round. 2" off the fairway is lost ball city, with the first cut being 3' high heather and a pile of rabbit Poopie

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Thu 19 May - 12:48

Doc

learn to hit it straight then :run1:

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Thu 19 May - 12:49

Doc wrote:Well done Commodore Johny0, straight to the point 8) If only I could afford to play these places, its not the subs or the green fees, its the amount of balls I have to buy to play one round. 2" off the fairway is lost ball city, with the fist cut being 3' high heather and a pile of rabbit Poopie

Is 3 foor high heather an actress doing small parts?
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Thu 19 May - 12:58

3 foot high Heather makes films involving fists?

Jeez, this site is going downhill fast. Where is the Mod when you need him.................

Doh

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Thu 19 May - 13:59

is this on dvd or steaming streaming Very Happy

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Thu 19 May - 14:19

heathers heathland was betamax only doc
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 19 May - 15:52

Maverick wrote:I thought Heathland was just an amusement park dedicated to the memory of heath ledger

laughing laughing laughing Thank-you and goodnight. Not often I nearly snort a mouthful of tea over the keyboard. Cheers Mav thumbsup.

LondonJonnyO wrote:heathers heathland was betamax only doc

Nah. VHS. One of the reasons beta was a bust was Sony's reluctance to let the randy industry use the medium. Or so I heard..... Wink
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Thu 19 May - 15:55

navyblueshorts wrote:Nah. VHS. One of the reasons beta was a bust was Sony's reluctance to let the industry use the medium. Or so I heard..... .

'tis indeed true that this was the major deathknell of betamax. Sony made a deal with the humpmovie makers over blu-ray... and have made a loss on every PS3 due to the inclusion on the blu-ray player in order to ensure that they don't have that loss again.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Thu 19 May - 16:02

I can't think of to many good heathland courses outside of Surrey/Berks/Dorset.
Not sure if Ganton is heathland. Very few in Scotland, Blairgowrie maybe.

I used to be HGK at a Surrey heathland course in the 1970's. The soil PH was 5.3 and the fairway grass was as tight as a drum. I was there during the drought years of 1975/6 and the colour green was not to be seen.
I played in a medal during the worst of the drought and shot a level par 69 which was one of the best rounds I have played. I left the woods at home and a trusty Maxfli 2 iron just about kept me in play. The balls were bounding through the fairways into the heather making the course more or less unplayable. This was a period when only a few courses had green automatic irrigation far less fairways, I remember hitting a 2 iron then 7 iron to one of the par 5's.

I always thought Heathland was named after that famous Tory MP Father Ted.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Thu 19 May - 16:05

"Thank-you and goodnight. Not often I nearly snort a mouthful of tea over the keyboard. Cheers Mav" .

The funniest one I read earlier had me in stitches, in a reply to a wum 'go away and let your dad make your bum bleed again' Very Happy Very Happy

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Thu 19 May - 16:06

Doon, Ganton is listed as links

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 19 May - 16:06

Doon, What about Ladybank? The finest heathland course I've played in Scotland, not to mention Alyth, Forfar and Kirriemuir.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Thu 19 May - 16:09

Doon the Water wrote:I always thought Heathland was named after that famous Tory MP Father Ted.

That might explain the slightly malodourous bloke in the corner of each heathland course who bears more than a passing resemblance to Fr. Jack. It must be a requirement of the clubs to be allowed to charge so much under the heathland alliance fee setting committee.

LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Thu 19 May - 16:18

Doc wrote:Doon, Ganton is listed as links

Doc

Ganton certainly plays like a links but is in fact about 10 miles from the sea, definitely a heathland course.

And also in the top 3 inland courses in GB&I Whistle

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 19 May - 18:13

London as over prices as some of the sand belt courses are at least we can get on them if we really want. The comparable courses in the states are not open to all.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Fri 20 May - 8:38

I think the Heathlands areas were guaranteed to return a Tory MP. [Not for viewers in Scotland]

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Fri 20 May - 9:32

Doon the Water wrote:I think the Heathlands areas were guaranteed to return a Tory MP. [Not for viewers in Scotland]

You could actually map them out when looking for an area to purchase a property. If there's no heathland courses nearby then crime rates will be high, schools poor, property prices on the slide, benefit claimants and unemployment high, hospitals of a low standard etc etc etc...

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down