The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New hybrid grass pitch to be constructed at Murrayfield

+9
GunsGerms
brennomac
hugehandoff
MacKnocked-on
ChequeredJersey
fa0019
funnyExiledScot
SecretFly
GLove39
13 posters

Go down

New hybrid grass pitch to be constructed at Murrayfield Empty New hybrid grass pitch to be constructed at Murrayfield

Post by GLove39 Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:51 pm

Sorry nematode, but looks like the end is nigh for you

SRU wrote:Scottish Rugby is making the biggest single investment in its Murrayfield home since the stadium was reconstructed in 1994.

A new hybrid grass pitch will be installed later this year to be ready for the start of the 2014-15 season, it was announced today.

“We are doing this primarily because this hybrid pitch is widely recognised as the best grass surface in the sporting world and we all want to see the Murrayfield playing surface restored to the pristine condition for which it is renowned,” said Scottish Rugby’s Director of Management Services, Mark Laidlaw.
http://www.scottishrugby.org/news/14/02/04/new-hybrid-grass-pitch-be-constructed-murrayfield

New pitch, new coach roll on the new season!

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

New hybrid grass pitch to be constructed at Murrayfield Empty Re: New hybrid grass pitch to be constructed at Murrayfield

Post by SecretFly Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:13 pm

Do those pitches come with hybrid worms? Wink

Poor worms though when you think about it - eviction notices all round.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

New hybrid grass pitch to be constructed at Murrayfield Empty Re: New hybrid grass pitch to be constructed at Murrayfield

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:18 pm

This is excellent news. We have such a mobile and pacy set of forwards, and love throwing the ball around with pin point accuracy, and playing at breathtaking quick tempo. This will certainly benefit Scotland more than visitors to Murrayfield......

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:22 pm

if they're worried about frozen mud pitches why don't they just unveil a nice red gravel pitch like we played football on as kids!  Shocked

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:25 pm

It's a hybrid pitch- mix of mud and ice
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:26 pm

fa0019 wrote:if they're worried about frozen mud pitches why don't they just unveil a nice red gravel pitch like we played football on as kids!  Shocked
Please let's not even dream now of changing the colour of the 'grass' - even if it's not natural. No muticoloured (BIG NUMBERS FOR THE BLIND) Disney pitches like in American football.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:28 pm

Unless they are literally Disney pitches, which I can only assume would be magic and sing
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:30 pm

The Scotland Disney score tries pitch. Sorry

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by hugehandoff Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:38 pm

It will be the same as Twickenham which is hybrid, amazing and very expensive

hugehandoff

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:39 pm

Fly - I always loved it when I watched test matches at Landsdown... the groundsman would literally paint the pitch the morning of the test with the sponsors colours/stencil and all the players would end up with blue faces. Still sometimes yearn for those amateur screw ups, it was part of rugby and part of the reason we grew up loving the sport.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:47 pm

fa0019 wrote:Fly - I always loved it when I watched test matches at Landsdown... the groundsman would literally paint the pitch the morning of the test with the sponsors colours/stencil and all the players would end up with blue faces. Still sometimes yearn for those amateur screw ups, it was part of rugby and part of the reason we grew up loving the sport.

Haha, remember that happening at Murrayfield back in 07. http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/42558000/jpg/_42558205_lamont_getty.jpg Or maybe Lamont decided to apply woad pre game..!

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:48 pm

fa0019 wrote:Fly - I always loved it when I watched test matches at Landsdown... the groundsman would literally paint the pitch the morning of the test with the sponsors colours/stencil and all the players would end up with blue faces. Still sometimes yearn for those amateur screw ups, it was part of rugby and part of the reason we grew up loving the sport.

Yes, I do remember when Scottish players often looked like extras in the Braveheart movie with blue paint on their faces...indeed, it still goes on?  Wasn't there a French player who looked like he has a grey patch in his dark tresses... it's only late in the day that I began to think it must be paint.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by brennomac Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:50 pm

Yep, remember the game a few years ago (can't remember against who) when Keith Wood's bald dome was a beautiful shade of sponsor blue after it p1ssed rain on the freshly-painted sponsor log. Woodie looked hilarious that day.

brennomac

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:07 pm

Murrayfield is opting for the same grass and system that is currently used in Landsdowne road and Twickers. I believe that the MS will also soon follow suit. Hardly surprising given that the Landsdowne pitch is absolutely pristine.

This grass is also used by the Green Bay Packers in Lambeau field probably the stadium subject to the harshest conditions in the world yet due to this system they have been able to persist with real grass rather than artifical surfaces luike most NFL teams nowadays.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/the-grounds-staff-pitching-for-the-perfect-surface-1.1669728#.Uu63GOWfEtI.email

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:09 pm

The MS groundsman Lee Evans paints the MS grass green before big matches so that it looks good on TV.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:37 pm

Loads of football teams in the premiership and Europe play on these, plus the Ospreys/Swansea City and Cardiff City. The MS has to follow suit. Can't wait.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desso_GrassMaster

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:25 pm

Would that involve still wheeling the pitch in and out at the MS, even hybrid pitches need the grass to grow and have the depth of soil to take root properly, what my Welsh colleagues tell me is the current problem. Too much shade generated by the roof and not enough depth of soil to allow the grass to root properly.

I would have thought an artificial surface like Sarries or Cardiff Blues have would have been better, both have been a great success and are cheap maintenance surfaces.
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:29 pm

GLove39 wrote:Sorry nematode, but looks like the end is nigh for you

SRU wrote:Scottish Rugby is making the biggest single investment in its Murrayfield home since the stadium was reconstructed in 1994.

A new hybrid grass pitch will be installed later this year to be ready for the start of the 2014-15 season, it was announced today.

“We are doing this primarily because this hybrid pitch is widely recognised as the best grass surface in the sporting world and we all want to see the Murrayfield playing surface restored to the pristine condition for which it is renowned,” said Scottish Rugby’s Director of Management Services, Mark Laidlaw.
http://www.scottishrugby.org/news/14/02/04/new-hybrid-grass-pitch-be-constructed-murrayfield

New pitch, new coach roll on the new season!

Threatening fellow posters is a breach of house rules Glove...

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:34 pm

Sad   Crying or Very sad 

I'm being evicted and all you, yes you funnyExiledscot and GLove39 can say is that this is excellent news? My family faces an uncertain future, separated and looking to an unsavoury future. I've suffered the snot from Ross Ford's nose and Sean Lamont's abuse, and this is all you can say?

Admin please deal with my tormentors... I'm j..u......s..t. sniff to..o s..a..d... fo...r. . wor..ds   Cry  Cry  Cry

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:39 pm

Nematode - after your recent garlic eating adventures why don't you slither off over to France

Oh, how the worm has turned

M'haaawwww

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:40 pm

Riskysports wrote:Nematode  - after your recent garlic eating adventures why don't you slither off over to France

Oh, how the worm has turned

M'haaawwww

Not the garlic again...

Sad 

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down