The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Marquez's chin

+8
Mayweathers cellmate
mobilemaster8
no-mas
John Bloody Wayne
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Gerry SA
Izzi
BallchinianMuffwig
12 posters

Go down

Marquez's chin Empty Marquez's chin

Post by BallchinianMuffwig Sat 22 Feb 2014, 9:59 am

Just been reading the "floyd's treatment of Khan is a disgrace" article, and there are a couple of posts where users are listing all the incidents of Khan being knocked down as evidence that he is chinny. While I don't disagree with this it just made me think of Juan Manuel Marquez, who has been knocked down many times in his career (yeah never stopped, shows brilliant power of recovery) but I've never EVER heard anybody on any forum comment negatively on his whiskers.

How do people on here rate his chin? Does he get a "chinny pass" for being Mexican?

BallchinianMuffwig

Back to top Go down

Marquez's chin Empty Re: Marquez's chin

Post by Izzi Sat 22 Feb 2014, 10:41 am

Never seen him do a big chicken dance. Never been knocked out.

No chinny pass. When discussing what will happen in his fights him getting knocked out is seldom brought up.. For a good reason, he's not chinny.

Izzi

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Sat 22 Feb 2014, 10:51 am

Flash knockdown are different to being absolutely to Queer Street. 

Marquez hasn't ever been seriously hurt from a knockdown. 

Whereas Khan's barely able to stand up after a knockdown

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by BallchinianMuffwig Sat 22 Feb 2014, 11:07 am

I don't personally think he is chinny, the Katsidis knockdown definately wasn't flash though, it was one that many probably wouldn't have recovered from

BallchinianMuffwig

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Sat 22 Feb 2014, 11:34 am

He gets up and wins or at least runs fights close. The only fight he's been put down in and legitimately lost was against Mayweather.

Being chinny indicates you can be knocked out. Marquez shows he can be caught off balance and knocked down.

Tell you what, the punch katsidas caught Marquez with in the 3rd round of their fight would have Khan still in a coma. Marquez got up and beat the **** Poopie out of him after
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sat 22 Feb 2014, 11:53 am

The only time I've seen him down AND hurt was in the third round against Pacman. He needed a round to recover completely then got down to business. Most would have been out on a stretcher.

He looked a little dazed after MAB clocked him while he was down! Maybe more out of surprise.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by no-mas Sat 22 Feb 2014, 12:31 pm

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:He gets up and wins or at least runs fights close. The only fight he's been put down in and legitimately lost was against Mayweather.

Being chinny indicates you can be knocked out. Marquez shows he can be caught off balance and knocked down.

Tell you what, the punch katsidas caught Marquez with in the 3rd round of their fight would have Khan still in a coma. Marquez got up and beat the **** Poopie out of him after

Thats one of lifes rules DEE, dont tug of supermans cape, dont wee in the wind and never NEVER knockdown Marquez otherwise a serious A**e whooping is coming your way!

no-mas

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Sat 22 Feb 2014, 12:43 pm

To be fair he seemed VERY hurt when knocked down in the second Manny fight and also against Katsidis.....my all time favourite fighter is JMM.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Izzi Sat 22 Feb 2014, 12:43 pm

Yeah was one of the biggest whoopings I've seen post a massive knockdown. Credit to Katsidis though, never once stopped marching forwards

Izzi

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Sat 22 Feb 2014, 2:24 pm

Yeh was a cracking fight and a great stoppage by Kenny Bayliss. Just re watched it. Class.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Mayweathers cellmate Sat 22 Feb 2014, 7:19 pm

Never been stopped in 63 fights = not chinny.

Mayweathers cellmate

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Sat 22 Feb 2014, 7:44 pm

Mayweathers cellmate wrote:Never been stopped in 63 fights = not chinny.

it's pretty much the only stat you need on this topic. he's been in with the best of the best and never been KO'd.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Sat 22 Feb 2014, 10:27 pm

A lot of people argue, with some justification, that there are essentially two combined aspects when it comes to 'chin'. First off, outright punch resistance, and secondly powers of recovery / recuperation.

Marquez is like a smaller version of Larry Holmes in that respect. They don't have that same ability as a Hagler, a Chuvalo, a McCall etc to just take absolutely any shot dished out to them and stay upright, but what they do have is absolutely phenomenal powers of recovery once they are hurt. They'll take a count, but be clear in their head way before it gets near ten and will regain their composure and balance once they've been hurt sooner than others can.

Don't get me wrong, in that first category, Marquez is far from sub-par. He's pretty damn reliable, I'd say. Above average. But if you combine his ability to recover quickly after being decked / hurt, then overall his chin is pretty excellent, I think.

Khan's ability to take that first shot isn't absolutely horrendous (although it's certainly not as good as Marquez's) but in terms of that second aspect, the difference between them is astronomical!
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sat 22 Feb 2014, 10:50 pm

I tend to agree with you there Chris but do think his susceptibility to getting dropped has cost him a fair bit, would it be harsh to say it's cost him three fights he should have won?

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Sat 22 Feb 2014, 11:41 pm

Yep, has definitely been costly, Hammersmith. From the outset the fight series which has most defined his career against Manny would have been different had he not taken those early counts. I guess it comes down to taking a glass half empty or half full view of those fights from a Marquez fan point of view. So easy to think 'what if?' when it comes to those knockdowns, but then again you can also argue that you've got to just make do with what you've got and concentrate on the fact that, without those remarkable powers of recovery, Pacquiao would almost certainly have finished Marquez off after he'd hurt him, particularly in their second fight.

Amazing how many of Marquez's knockdowns have been in the early goings of fights. Seems to have that typical counter-puncher's vulnerability to slow starting. Part of the reason he and Pacquiao always meshed beautifully to bring out the best in each other, and why the first three followed that general pattern of speed bewildering and confusing someone to take early rounds before the more thoughtful, code-cracking fighter comes in to it later on.

88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 23 Feb 2014, 6:11 am

Political betting

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 23 Feb 2014, 6:14 am

Sorry guys we are driving up to Edinburgh and I've inadvertently screwed up on my mobile..

Have a good Sunday..Head is all screwed up..Too early..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down