The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I am genuinely excited about TNA again (contains impact spoilers)

+2
crippledtart
talkingpoint
6 posters

Go down

I am genuinely excited about TNA again (contains impact spoilers) Empty I am genuinely excited about TNA again (contains impact spoilers)

Post by talkingpoint Sun 23 Feb 2014, 9:14 am

I know Mania is fast approaching and with Punk`s abrupt walk out of the WWE, not to mention the news of Hogan returning to the WWE, TNA quite understandably is left once again in WWE`s shadow. However, I think there is great reason to be positive and hopeful again for the TNA product. After a bad end to 2013, 2014 has got off to a good start for TNA. What with the MVP investor storyline, the Wolves now on the active roster, the heel turn of Storm, Gunner`s push, a reinvigorated Joe and the reinvention of Jeff Hardy as Willow, it has got me excited once again for the product and for Lockdown.

MVP may not have been the biggest name TNA could have revealed; but the storyline he`s been given has been a breath of fresh air, to potentially see an end to the Dixieland fiasco. He`s also a good talker and is still young enough to have an active wrestling career in TNA. Having him as an onscreen authority figure and active wrestler is so much better than say if Sting had resigned or even Angle with his injuries and drug related problems.

The Wolves are a great indie signing by TNA and are up there with Joe and Aries. They definitely bring entertainment in the ring and credibility to the tag team division. With Storm`s heel turn I wouldn`t be surprised if TNA reformed Beer Money after his inevitable feud with Gunner to give the Wolves competition and have some genuinely marquee matches at PPV.

Joe`s performances in the UK so far have been fantastic and he`s wrestling with the kind of energy and aura about him that he previously had. I`m really looking forward to his cage match with Magnus at Lockdown. I think it could go potentially either way, with Joe putting Magnus over clean and thus starting a genuine title run by Magnus proving he is not just a paper champ, or Joe winning and ending the pathetic reign of paper champion Magnus. Considering Magnus has only had 3 title defences all of which have featured heavy amounts of interference and dirty wins, it still seems rather early to let Magnus drop the title. However, Joe does have momentum and I think could have an amazing year as champion should TNA pull the trigger with him again. 2014 could easily be the year of Samoa Joe.

I`m intrigued to see how Hardy`s gimmick will affect his return, are they going for a duality type of persona like Abyss/Park or will he just return as Willow? I would like to see Hardy wrestle as Willow in the X-Division and add some much needed change and dynamic to the division which has seen it being dominated by Sabin and Aries for the past several months. As Willow Hardy could have some great X-Division matches with Aries and Sabin, and hopefully Zema Ion and Kenny King if they decide to bring him back to TV.

So yeah, while TNA probably will remain firmly in WWE`s rear view mirror, there is a lot to be excited about in TNA and 2014 could prove one of the company`s best year`s to date.

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

I am genuinely excited about TNA again (contains impact spoilers) Empty Re: I am genuinely excited about TNA again (contains impact spoilers)

Post by crippledtart Sun 23 Feb 2014, 11:43 am

I think the Willow thing is an awful idea. When you've got a recent(ish) WWE main eventer with a recognisable name, why change it? A massive part of his value to TNA - by far the biggest part in fact - is his name value.

It would be like Hulk Hogan coming back to WWE as Sterling Golden!

crippledtart

Back to top Go down

I am genuinely excited about TNA again (contains impact spoilers) Empty Re: I am genuinely excited about TNA again (contains impact spoilers)

Post by talkingpoint Sun 23 Feb 2014, 12:37 pm

crippledtart wrote:I think the Willow thing is an awful idea. When you've got a recent(ish) WWE main eventer with a recognisable name, why change it? A massive part of his value to TNA - by far the biggest part in fact - is his name value.

It would be like Hulk Hogan coming back to WWE as Sterling Golden!

good point, however, the gimmick could also be very successful should they book him right. If they go with the whole duality thing then you have both the Jeff Hardy brand and the Willow brand. Besides, TNA have done a great job in the past of character reinvention - Bully Ray, Joker Sting, Beer Money all spring instantly to mind. It is something I think TNA are good at. Also, Hardy has left and returned several times before, returning this time as Willow makes it different and therefore more memorable.

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Sun 23 Feb 2014, 1:28 pm

Great article (can I put on the journal?).

With regards to willow, I believe it was Jeff who asked for it. We talk about Jeff on one of next weeks podcasts by the way!

For me, he was incredibly stale as Jeff hardy. This could give him the freedom to reinvigorate himself. Just like Tna is currently doing.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by crippledtart Sun 23 Feb 2014, 1:48 pm

Willow's not even a good name though, it sounds soft and feminine. Bully Ray sounds like a fighter; Willow sounds like a girl.

If it's your money on the line, do you want it to say Jeff Hardy on the marquee or do you want it to say Willow? A name doesn't go stale; a performer does. If he wants to indulge his creative side, give him a packet of crayons.

Jeff Hardy has shown no awareness of how to draw money and connect with a mainstream audience when left to his own devices. If he doesn't want to give TNA the character that drew money when carefully booked in WWE, they are fools for paying for it.

crippledtart

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Sun 23 Feb 2014, 1:56 pm

crippledtart wrote:Willow's not even a good name though, it sounds soft and feminine. Bully Ray sounds like a fighter; Willow sounds like a girl.

If it's your money on the line, do you want it to say Jeff Hardy on the marquee or do you want it to say Willow? A name doesn't go stale; a performer does. If he wants to indulge his creative side, give him a packet of crayons.

Jeff Hardy has shown no awareness of how to draw money and connect with a mainstream audience when left to his own devices. If he doesn't want to give TNA the character that drew money when carefully booked in WWE, they are fools for paying for it.

So you are behind it then?

You're just grumpy because you only made number 2 on the list if wrestletalk things to do!!

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by crippledtart Sun 23 Feb 2014, 2:00 pm

I didn't know such a list existed, but the fact I'm not number one smacks of a conspiracy.

crippledtart

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Sun 23 Feb 2014, 3:04 pm

http://v2journal.com/26/post/2014/02/exciting-times-at-tna.html

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Sun 23 Feb 2014, 3:08 pm

Im watching Impact at the moment.

About 45 mins in, there is a video package on Gunner. One thing that TNA has always done well is their VTs. I thought this one was particularly good.

Its a shame it was wasted on a Impact title match instead of a PPV one.

Well done TNA - Gunner looked like a genuine badass

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Sun 23 Feb 2014, 3:31 pm

just finished watching the tag match between Kazaniels and the Wolves. Brilliant match and the Wolves are amazing. WWE really missed out on a team there.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sun 23 Feb 2014, 4:18 pm

The Wolves are a perfect team for TNA. Not exactly charismatic characters but they are pure wrestlers with tag team nous. With Kazaniels in that division, as well as chances for Beer Money to reform and also the BroMans being characters over wrestlers, it makes a nice mix. Its also the kind of signing they should make more of.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Mon 24 Feb 2014, 3:05 am

crippledtart wrote:Willow's not even a good name though, it sounds soft and feminine. Bully Ray sounds like a fighter; Willow sounds like a girl.

Willow is a completely different character to Bully Ray. Hardy`s the charismatic enigma, judging from the Willow video his character is also enigmatic. This gives Hardy`s return an element of intrigue and uncertainty - fans aren`t sure what to expect, but it`s more exciting than just Hardy is returning! That`s the point, TNA is genuinely exciting to watch at the moment.

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Mon 24 Feb 2014, 3:09 am

Adam D wrote:http://v2journal.com/26/post/2014/02/exciting-times-at-tna.html

thanks!  Hug 

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Mon 24 Feb 2014, 1:56 pm

I believe Willow is just a shortened version of one of his previous ring names - Willo the Wisp (which was also a very camp cartoon character, voiced by Kenneth Williams I think). I think its meant to evoke the idea of a weird / michievous woodland spirit or something. Wink

Either that or Warwick Davis' character in the eponymous film... Erm

Personally, I think if his promos are anything to go by, he'll have enough novelty value to continue as a fan favourite. I don't think this change will do him any harm. He hasn't been involved in any feuds or stories since he lost to Magnus at Final Resolution, so he needs something else to freshen him up.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Mon 24 Feb 2014, 2:06 pm

Anyway, good article by talkingpoint.

I was starting to get a bit bored with TNA myself, but I've been impressed with the Wolves, who look like giving Bad Influence a run for their money in the entertainment stakes. If Beer Money can be added to the mix later, so much the better....I still can't take Bromans seriously, either as a tag team or individually.

The X Division has been virtually non-existant for some time now (2 wrestlers does not make a division in my book) and TNA really need to look at getting more regular appearances for the likes of Manik, Sonjay Dutt, Petey Williams and stop having Zema Ion pratting about, pretending to be a DJ.

Similar story with the Knockouts...needs more than Velvet Sky, Madison Rayne and Gail Kim. Are they ever going to book Tapa in a match of her own? And who was that mystery big, scary lady who interfered in the Chris Sabin - Velvet Sky in-ring spat?
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Mon 24 Feb 2014, 4:01 pm

Oh and whats going on with "Psycho" Sam Shaw?

His creepy stalking/dating of Christy Hemme is getting a bit tired now. Is he ever going to get in the ring and is someone going to "rescue" her? It'd be a good way to set up a feud and get him between the ropes.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Enforcer Mon 24 Feb 2014, 5:04 pm

A couple of your questions will be answered at the TV taping from Wembley.

It's just a shame they forgot to tell the live crowd those questions needed answering!

Enforcer
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down