The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Manu Tuilagi and Englands Midfield

+68
seanmichaels
KINGA
Dubbelyew L Overate
Jimpy
jelly
kingelderfield
WELL-PAST-IT
hugehandoff
HongKongCherry
Hood83
Poorfour
offload
jbeadlesbigrighthand
Cumbrian
tazfalklands
bedfordwelsh
gregortree
johnpartle
DaveM
nth
markb
hawalsh
doctor_grey
GloriousEmpire
Exiledinborders
killer938
quinsforever
Barney McGrew did it
HammerofThunor
fa0019
MissBlennerhassett
BigTrevsbigmac
yappysnap
king_carlos
Chjw131
BamBam
dummy_half
funnyExiledScot
LordDowlais
lostinwales
kiakahaaotearoa
No 7&1/2
Scratch
thomh
maestegmafia
mystiroakey
ChequeredJersey
nathan
mbernz
sickofwendy
Rugby Fan
Eustace H Plimsoll
timhen
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Sgt_Pooly
formerly known as Sam
Seagultaf
Scrumpy
propdavid_london
Cowshot
LondonTiger
Portnoy's Complaint
beshocked
wrfc1980
TJ
GunsGerms
TopHat24/7
Geordie
72 posters

Page 14 of 14 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14

Go down

Manu Tuilagi and Englands Midfield - Page 14 Empty Manu Tuilagi and Englands Midfield

Post by Geordie Mon 24 Feb 2014, 11:49 am

First topic message reminder :

Been having a discussion about Manu on another thread and i thought id open it up to everyone to see your opinons?

It seems to me that almost 100% on here are simply assuming Manu will walk back in to the England team.

Is Manu simply that good that he can do that, over those currently in the midfield? Is he Englands superstar player that they cant do without?

What about his competition? He has the power game..but what if Elliott Daly was to move back permanently to 13?

Many are advocating a midfield of

10 Farrell
12 Burrell
13 Tuilagi
It has huge power...but possibly missing a little guile?

Im merely putting out there...might the following have more balance?

10 Farrell
12 Burrell
13 Daly (once hes back playing permanently at 13)

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Manu Tuilagi and Englands Midfield - Page 14 Empty Re: Manu Tuilagi and Englands Midfield

Post by DaveM Sat 15 Mar 2014, 5:23 pm

I think the fact that Yarde and Wade would have been the starting wings, bar injury, shows that to be the case Yappy.

DaveM

Back to top Go down

Manu Tuilagi and Englands Midfield - Page 14 Empty Re: Manu Tuilagi and Englands Midfield

Post by HammerofThunor Sat 15 Mar 2014, 5:24 pm

Tuilagi can play wing. He can stay out on the wing and support the rucks if the ball gets out there. But England don't use the wingers by bringing them in, they stay out.

But this is speculating. Burrell shouldn't play 12 because he's not the sort of 12 England want. Tuilagi would be good on the wing because he'd be good if we changed how we used the wings. The fact Tuilagi came on for Burrell has been used to suggest SL doesn't want a LB/MT centre partnership. But surely this also means he's not seen as a winger yet either.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveM Sat 15 Mar 2014, 5:28 pm

Yes he obviously used him as a centre today. But he's talked about him as a wing in several interviews, including immediately before this game.

Nowell didn't score his try from the wing, and even if Tuilagi were to stay wide he'd still be a massive threat, far more so than May looks.

And there's no doubt at all that SL purposely avoided a LB/MT partnership today, despite knowing 36 couldn't last 80 minutes.

DaveM

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sat 15 Mar 2014, 5:32 pm

He also purposely avoided Tuilagi on the wing. It's been talked about uneven been used. Given how badly the wings were doing today it would have been the perfect opportunity to try it.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by maverickmak Sat 15 Mar 2014, 5:39 pm

Another problem is Leicester will almost never play Tuilagi on the wing. They have plenty of depth out wide. Thus Tuilagi won't have much practice working in the wider channels, positioning and kicking. Bad idea. Tuilagi is a centre, and has much better hands than many give him credit for. And he is undoubtably a force of nature, proved effective against the best teams in the world. Good to have some genuine competition for him now though.

maverickmak

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveM Sat 15 Mar 2014, 5:40 pm

It would have been. I still think we'll see it, because I think England will want 36, Burrell and Tuilagi all in the starting line up. Given there is no evidence at all SL has any doubts about 36, the only other way Manu starts is if Burrell is dropped, and that would be strange given how well he's played at 13.

DaveM

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Sat 15 Mar 2014, 5:44 pm

DaveM wrote:Ok, ok. I 90% agree with him.

It'll be interesting to see if Daly is a regular at 13 for Wasps next year. In a couple of years' time I think Tomkins will be pushing hard. Indeed this years' u20's first choice partnership of Stephenson and Tomkins could be the senior partnership.

I 100% agree with me, just to clear that up  Smile 

Seen Tuilagi plenty, if someone can point me to a game where he's shown a decent offload please do, I'm willing to be convinced.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Sat 15 Mar 2014, 5:48 pm

DaveM wrote:It would have been. I still think we'll see it, because I think England will want 36, Burrell and Tuilagi all in the starting line up. Given there is no evidence at all SL has any doubts about 36, the only other way Manu starts is if Burrell is dropped, and that would be strange given how well he's played at 13.

Doesnt matter how well Burrell plays if Manu is seen as better. Tough decision to make but its great to be in the position where we have to make it.

I just think having all three on with Manu on the wing feels wrong. Might be ok in the last 10 minutes of a game but that is it.

Burrell is a terrific back up option.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sat 15 Mar 2014, 5:49 pm

The game we won against the All Blacks, Barritt's try. That's just from memory so may be wrong.

Edit: from memory Tuilagi takes the pass off Barritt, gets pushed into touch and offloads to Barritt. It was close as the defender interfered with the pass but it went to hand.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveM Sat 15 Mar 2014, 5:55 pm

I think Burrell is a better 13 than Tuilagi is. So I'd go with him there. However, presumably Tuilagi will be available for the 1st Test in NZ and Burrell won't, so he'll be the man in possession.

DaveM

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Sat 15 Mar 2014, 5:56 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:The game we won against the All Blacks, Barritt's try. That's just from memory so may be wrong.

Edit: from memory Tuilagi takes the pass off Barritt, gets pushed into touch and offloads to Barritt. It was close as the defender interfered with the pass but it went to hand.

Damn it. OK, when he hasn't absolutely HAD to offload to keep the move alive.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sat 15 Mar 2014, 5:58 pm

I don't tend to worry too much about better. Burrell has done well and should 'hold' the shirt. The only ones I don't think have done enough to take the shirts are the wings. Hopefully, Yarde will come back strong. The other I'd try Wade if back or stick with Nowell.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by maverickmak Sat 15 Mar 2014, 5:58 pm

I think he put some decent ones away for the Lions off the top of my head, and I have certainly seem him linking well for Leicester.

maverickmak

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sat 15 Mar 2014, 5:58 pm

Hood83 wrote:
HammerofThunor wrote:The game we won against the All Blacks, Barritt's try. That's just from memory so may be wrong.

Damn it. OK, when he hasn't absolutely HAD to offload to keep the move alive.

raspberry 

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by maverickmak Sat 15 Mar 2014, 6:04 pm

Just looking at that NZ game. He put Ashton away against NZ too.

maverickmak

Back to top Go down

Post by thomh Sat 15 Mar 2014, 8:54 pm

Some really good hands from him for the Lions over the summer as well.

thomh

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sat 15 Mar 2014, 9:04 pm

This thread kind of feels a bit like "what have the Romans ever done for us" right now...
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by nobbled Sat 15 Mar 2014, 9:13 pm

Laugh 
ChequeredJersey wrote:This thread kind of feels a bit like "what have the Romans ever done for us" right now...

Laugh 
nobbled
nobbled

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Sat 15 Mar 2014, 9:16 pm

What did Burrell do once he was subbed?

Anyone know?
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 15 Mar 2014, 9:21 pm

He wasn't happy.

swearing and muttering to himself abit.. The body language was telling

i don't know anymore than that.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sat 15 Mar 2014, 9:40 pm

I don't blame him tbh, he was playing well.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Sat 15 Mar 2014, 9:43 pm

If he wasn't unhappy about being subbed I would be worried. Shows he has the right mind set.
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Sat 15 Mar 2014, 10:19 pm

You could see him muttering 'pi$$ed off'

As has been said - a good sign. He has had a super 6N

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 14 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14