The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scotland V France pre match build up

+11
whocares
alive555
Nematode
Jimpy
tigertattie
RuggerRadge2611
George Carlin
Tattie Scones RRN
westisbest
funnyExiledScot
RDW
15 posters

Go down

Scotland V France pre match build up Empty Scotland V France pre match build up

Post by RDW Tue 25 Feb 2014, 10:27 am

Since George Carlin is being lazy and not done a match thread yet, this is the place for pre match discussion!

Latest news:

Scotland  Braveheart 

Clean bill of health as far as I am aware.  Dickinson had a concern over his calf but no further news from the camp.

France  RedWine 

Picamoles suspended and dropped from the squad for his gestures towards the ref during the Wales game

Nyanga and Fofana injured

Parra potentially getting banned for (allegedly) giving someone a Glasgae kiss at the weekend (head butt)

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Scotland V France pre match build up Empty Re: Scotland V France pre match build up

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 25 Feb 2014, 11:07 am

Hopeless GC.

How were the Stones? Watching a bunch of "had their day" hasbeens trying to recapture old glories - reminds me of England under Andy Robinson.....

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Scotland V France pre match build up Empty Re: Scotland V France pre match build up

Post by RDW Tue 25 Feb 2014, 11:09 am

Dam straight.

So on to the rugby - the news of the injuries and disciplinary issues has really given me more optimism for this game than I think I can handle.

I know that the replacement French players will be much better than most of our players anyway, but France definitely look vulnerable just now.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Tue 25 Feb 2014, 11:14 am

Its the right time to play France.

The confidence should be high in the Scottish camp, after the last gasp win on saturday.

Home crowd will be pumped up.

Get in their faces early, cause them to make silly mistakes, could have the beating of them.

As the old saying goes with France.

Which French team will turn up.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Tue 25 Feb 2014, 11:19 am

It should be pretty obvious now.

Support runners on the shoulder of whoever makes the break.

All backs should just watch the clip of Matt Scott just before Dunbar's first try. Got the ball, immediately straightened up and flipped it wide. 5 seconds later, try.

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 25 Feb 2014, 11:31 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:Hopeless GC.

How were the Stones? Watching a bunch of "had their day" hasbeens trying to recapture old glories - reminds me of England under Andy Robinson.....
Stones were absolutely remarkable. Turns out that being loaded with syphilis and crystal meth helps keep you spritely. Allegedly.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 25 Feb 2014, 11:33 am

It's all about Scott and Dunbar. Has the makings of a really decent partnership.

Looks like Mark Bennett's career just won't take off......

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue 25 Feb 2014, 11:34 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:It's all about Scott and Dunbar. Has the makings of a really decent partnership.

Looks like Mark Bennett's career just won't take off......

laughing 
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 25 Feb 2014, 11:36 am

George Carlin wrote:

Stones were absolutely remarkable. Turns out that being loaded with syphilis and crystal meth helps keep you spritely. Allegedly.

Although people in Glasgow don't tend to live longer than people in Edinburgh, so conflicting evidence as to the secret of longevity.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 25 Feb 2014, 11:37 am

Right, my team for next week, with SJ's predicted selections in brackets

Grant
Lawson
Cross
Hamilton
Gray
Denton, although I'd prefer KB
Fusaro (Wilson)
Beattie

Laidlaw (I like the impact Cusiter makes, and I know Laidlaw can play a faster game)
Weir
Schlong
Scott
Dunbar
SG (Seymour)
Hogg

I just really have a suspicion he is going to play Denton, Wilson and Beattie in the same back row.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 25 Feb 2014, 11:52 am

I'd be happy enough with that team - the only think I don't want to see again is Wilson at 6. He just isn't the present or the future in that position.

I also hope that Fusaro gets to start. I don't want to see a back row comprising three number 8's. Beattie should start again, Denton should play 6 (in lieu of a proper blindside being picked, and my preference would be Brown) and Fusaro should get another shot at 7.

I'd drop Hamilton, but I can understand the arguments for keeping him. He knows the French players, he puts a bit of grunt into the scrum (and we could really struggle against the French in that department) plus he has managed to steal two lineouts in three matches - epic.

If Hamilton does start, I want Swinson to replace him earlyish in the second half. After 60 minutes Hamilton is hopeless, and I think he sometimes gets himself yellow carded just so that he can sit down.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 25 Feb 2014, 12:15 pm

If anyone wants to see Parra's sending off (apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere)

http://www.thescore.ie/morgan-parra-red-card-clermont-1329482-Feb2014/

A fairly low end offence, and will have done hardly any damage, but he should still get a ban.

Ranger did absolutely smash him though!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Tue 25 Feb 2014, 12:51 pm

Points of note

GC's latest match thread is poo  boxing 

Morgan Parra and Louis Picamoles are very naughty boys  boxing 

Fofana and Nyanga being inured are massive blows to France.  Sad  Rest up boys and get well soon. Don't rush back and risk re-injuring yourself. Best waiting till after 9th March I say  Wink 

France are France. We all know they are hot and cold. Lets not forget how terrible they were last year. But let us also not forget that we were the only team they beat in the 6ns last year. It is going to come down to how the French are blowing  Tumbleweed 

In Bastaraud, france have a one dimensional, one speed centre. I'm not saying he is easy to defend against. HIs power remains impressive. but I think Scott and Dunbar should be able to contain him. And if they need help. the tackling winger that is the Shlong can help them out.

What we really cant afford to do is boot the ball to the French back three. That would be rather suicidal. The tactics used againt italy need to be used against france. Keep the ball and pass and run (kick when you need to, not when you want to)

Would it be fair to say that we can't run round the French wingers but we could run through them? I reckon it will be an effective ploy to have Dunbar run around Bastaraud, then offload to Sean Lamont to run through the French wings?

All this time I pray that France pick the same 9 that started against Wales.

Don;t go in cocky thinking its in the bag. Don't go in thinking we're gonna get skelped. Go in knowing your own game plan and know that there is a chance of winning the game!

Don't change a winning team they say, but tinkering is needed. Cross needs to start over Low. Denton could be brought into 6 over Wilson. Leave Furaso and Beattie starting though. I agree that after 55-60 mins, Hamilton will need replaced. bless him

See, it's only gone and happened. Bloody optimisim is back again. That feeling of utter dread had left me (but for how long)
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Tue 25 Feb 2014, 1:37 pm

At least England under Robinson had had their day, which is more than you could say of some home nations, who dream ever onwards of having theirs.

Kudos to Scotland for beating Italy. But, when you see a team celebrating a one point win over arguably the weakest team in the competition as though it were actually 'their day', then you have to worry where Scotland are at, or where they're going. France may have been off colour against Wales, but any notion that Scotland might win is frankly, delusional. France are superior from the first guy on the team sheet to the last pick of the bench, and they'll be hurting after that Wales defeat. In fact, Scotland taking any real confidence from the win over Italy could prove to be counter-productive as they need to go into this match with any delusions of grandeur well out of mind.

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 25 Feb 2014, 1:42 pm

tigertattie wrote:In Bastaraud, france have a one dimensional, one speed centre. I'm not saying he is easy to defend against. HIs power remains impressive. but I think Scott and Dunbar should be able to contain him.  And if they need help. the tackling winger that is the Shlong can help them out.

Defending against Bastereud certainly adds weight to the argument for picking Sean Lamont, but attacking Bastereud with an equally blunt, slow and one dimensional weapon is perhaps questionnable.

Scott and Dunbar both carry some muscle. I'm not too worried about them in defence.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 25 Feb 2014, 1:48 pm

Jimpy wrote:

At least England under Robinson had had their day, which is more than you could say of some home nations, who dream ever onwards of having theirs.

Kudos to Scotland for beating Italy. But, when you see a team celebrating a one point win over arguably the weakest team in the competition as though it were actually 'their day', then you have to worry where Scotland are at, or where they're going. France may have been off colour against Wales, but any notion that Scotland might win is frankly, delusional. France are superior from the first guy on the team sheet to the last pick of the bench, and they'll be hurting after that Wales defeat. In fact, Scotland taking any real confidence from the win over Italy could prove to be counter-productive as they need to go into this match with any delusions of grandeur well out of mind.
Ah Jimpy - you shouldn't feel like you need to hold back - tell us what you really think.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 25 Feb 2014, 1:56 pm

Jimpy, we'll never get the nation ASBO wants without a little bit of blind optimism. Have faith son, and whilst it's nothing to celebrate, at least we should be clear of the Wooden Spoon this season.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Tue 25 Feb 2014, 2:39 pm

I'd pick Grant, Lawson, Cross, Gray, Hamilton (to 50), Denton, Fusaro, Beattie; Cusiter, Weir, Lamont, Scott, Dunbar, Evans, Hogg

SUBS: Dickinson, MacArthur, Low, J Gray, Wilson, Laidlaw, Seymour, Bennett

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 25 Feb 2014, 2:46 pm

Nematode wrote:I'd pick Grant, Lawson, Cross, Gray, Hamilton (to 50), Denton, Fusaro, Beattie; Cusiter, Weir, Lamont, Scott, Dunbar, Evans, Hogg

Laugh 

I wonder if the phoetus would even slow Bastereud down. Shades of Tony Underwood on Jonah Lomu.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Tue 25 Feb 2014, 2:59 pm

This is the game we really could have done with Visser's powerful running against the French back three. I'd say some training ground moves with Hogg coming into the line to dance around the 12-13 channel might prove fruitful, especially with Scott and Dunbar off either shoulder in support.

I would also have Harley in there for some fringe defence as the Italians made way too much ground last week.

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 25 Feb 2014, 3:01 pm

Who are France likely to play in the centres? Fat Basteraud at 12 and the young guy at 13? Or is there a different 12 they will likely pick?

I really hope it is the same halfbacks as the Wales game..

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue 25 Feb 2014, 3:11 pm

What would really worry me is Parra and Trinh-Duc. I can't even begin to work out why French coaches constantly ignore how dangerous that combination could be.

As for Jimpy's comment, winning in Rome is a rarity for us. Ireland and France have also come unstuck their just last season.

I'll happily take 2 points away from Rome.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by alive555 Tue 25 Feb 2014, 3:29 pm

I think we are going to get Bastereud and Fikou , which is pretty deadly combination.

alive555

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Tue 25 Feb 2014, 6:06 pm

Or Mermoz + Bastaraud. With PSA you never quite know. He selected a young centre called Lamerat. Pretty physical too.

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Tue 25 Feb 2014, 6:33 pm

Scotland France thread  Whistle 

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 26 Feb 2014, 7:44 am

Looks like Euan Murray is back in contention having played last weekend, and is also playing this weekend.

I'd probably still start cross - who has earned the short imo - and have Murray on the bench.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed 26 Feb 2014, 8:17 am

Any news on Parra getting banned? France really are in a mess

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Wed 26 Feb 2014, 8:33 am

His hearing is now tomorrow so he must be confindent to get a short or no ban.

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 26 Feb 2014, 8:36 am

Do red cards not get an automatic ban as a minimum, unless it is deemed it wasn't worthy of a red card (which this definitely was)?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed 26 Feb 2014, 9:16 am

Not sure tbh.

One thing though Im with Sting on this one and will be cheering on my fellow United Kingdomish Bravehearts

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed 26 Feb 2014, 9:28 am

I'm actually looking forward to this game.

After the dire AIs and the first two games of this 6ns I was dreading the rest of the season.

damn this optimisim that is creeping back. Will it be back to square one after the French game? A decent game against them could set us up nicely for a decent game against the Taffs. Last thing I want to see is a 20+ point humping by both teams  Sad 
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Wed 26 Feb 2014, 12:56 pm

Why are you keeping us waiting George?

Scotland V France pre match build up George-osborne

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 26 Feb 2014, 12:57 pm

My thread is so awesome there is no real reason for a fancy dancy GC thread....  tomato 

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Wed 26 Feb 2014, 1:02 pm

George currently

Scotland V France pre match build up Feathers

PS Yeah I'm in a funny mood...

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 26 Feb 2014, 2:12 pm

Nematode wrote:Why are you keeping us waiting George?

Why have you posted a photo of fES's hero, Gidiot the Bully?

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 26 Feb 2014, 2:13 pm

Nematode wrote:George currently

Scotland V France pre match build up Feathers

PS Yeah I'm in a funny mood...

More likely Wink

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Wed 26 Feb 2014, 2:39 pm

Howdy all! Hope you're all enjoying this years 6N so far. Was great seeing Scotland win in Rome for first time since 2006, even if it was done in last seconds of game.

My thoughts on Scotland so far..

I had a go at Laidlaw couple years back but began to feel maybe he was actually the bloke for 9 jersey. I now just don't think he is right for Scotland's style of game. If they want to play flowing rugby Cusiter is the only 9 who provides a bit of pace and quick distribution. It's frustrating because the options are not great at 9. Cusiter is getting on, Laidlaw is a bit slow/controlling, Prygos is a bit below par. Is there any other options on the rise that could potentially feature in World Cup? As far as this tournament goes, I think Cusiter should feature a bit more on field with Laidlaw still starting.

Backrow I think has been a bit muddled. Wilson looked bugggered by end of Italy match, fusaro I think has potential but needs more game time, space to develop. Denton, Beattie have been good thou, particularly Denton, despite his wild offloads, passes.

Weir at 10 seems best option to me, I think he can develop further and he has a good boot on him, just needs to keep working on the accuracy. Happy to see him start last two games at ten. Also, it will be interesting to see how he responds against France after his match winning drop goal, what a confidence booster that must have been for him.

I'd start cross for France, keep Lawson at hooker, bring in Johnny gray to start vs France. I'd drop Hamilton despite his improved performance last week in favour of Swinson.

Scott/Dunbar partnership must remain. Once Maitland and visser are back it'll be even better.. Huge potential in having Visser, Scott, Dunbar, Maitland, Hogg as they'rve now all scored/setup several tries on international stage.

My team vs France

Grant
Lawson
Cross
R Gray
Swinson
Denton
Fusaro
Beattie
Laidlaw (Cap)
Weir
Lamont
Scott
Dunbar
Seymour
Hogg

Dickinson
Ford
Low
Hamilton
Brown
Cusiter
Taylor
Evans

I think pack needs to be mobile vs France and capable of holding up in scrum. Hamilton is too slow for me and I think he could be a liability. I'd drop Wilson in favour of both Beattie and Denton starting with fusaro at 7.

I'd like to see Scotland try to be a bit smarter in attack. They did some good things vs itlay in second half but it was still a bit raw and predictable. I think lamont should come off his wing more and crash ball a bit as he has been very effective at getting over the gain line and staying on his feet. Scotland need to mix it up a bit. Hogg needs space to run so if centres/lamont can punch holes, Hogg and Seymour should be there for the offloads and space to play.

Defensively, lamont should not rush up like he did in second half vs itlay, it cost Scotland a try and it's not the first time he has done this for Scotland. Just need to iron out the creases a bit.

Sorry for long post, but looking forward to see how Scotland respond vs France at home. I think if they can keep scoreboard safe until 60 mins mark they could pinch a rare victory. Big ask though as this French side look dangerous in attack and murrayfield is a great pitch for running rugby, cross field kicks and grubbers.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 26 Feb 2014, 2:39 pm

Because I'm up to my arse with work, have a newborn baby at home alongside a very tired Mrs GC and the game isn't until the 8th of March? Apart from those reasons, I've got nothing. Perhaps worth mentioning also that setting up threads is free for everyone to do?
Scotland V France pre match build up Cancan15
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Wed 26 Feb 2014, 2:41 pm

*keep richie gray that is

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 26 Feb 2014, 2:44 pm

George Carlin wrote:

Because I'm up to my arse with work, have a newborn baby at home alongside a very tired Mrs GC and the game isn't until the 8th of March? Apart from those reasons, I've got nothing. Perhaps worth mentioning also that setting up threads is free for everyone to do?
Scotland V France pre match build up Cancan15

But you do such a good job!  Hug 

I do hope you realise that we are on the wind up, and the abuse and peer pressure is only because we appreciate how good your threads are and we are not genuinely angry that you haven't done one yet (well, 21st might be, but he's always angry).

I'm sure we will cope on my makeshift thread until you, or someone else, fancies doing a proper match thread!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 26 Feb 2014, 2:49 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:
Nematode wrote:I'd pick Grant, Lawson, Cross, Gray, Hamilton (to 50), Denton, Fusaro, Beattie; Cusiter, Weir, Lamont, Scott, Dunbar, Evans, Hogg

Laugh 

I wonder if the phoetus would even slow Bastereud down. Shades of Tony Underwood on Jonah Lomu.

Nice opinion, however as a Scot you're "not genetically programmed to make decisions" (cf Buffoon Lamont, Newsnicht, 25/ii/2014), but thanks for contributing OK

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed 26 Feb 2014, 4:18 pm

That was hilarious! What was she thinking?

oooops - Politics! tut tut!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Wed 26 Feb 2014, 5:09 pm

Oh aye ASBO - Wee Nicola booted Wee Jimmy 'Lamont' Krankie all over the tv in a debate last night.  Yahoo 
21st Century Schizoid Man
21st Century Schizoid Man

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 26 Feb 2014, 5:13 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:

Laugh 

Nice opinion, however as a Scot you're "not genetically programmed to make decisions" (cf Buffoon Lamont, Newsnicht, 25/ii/2014), but thanks for contributing OK

I wasn't making a decision....

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 26 Feb 2014, 5:15 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:

Why have you posted a photo of fES's hero, Gidiot the Bully?

Laugh 

Calling someone a silly name and a bully in the same sentence!

Laugh 

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Wed 26 Feb 2014, 5:27 pm

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/international/france/10662003/Six-Nations-2014-Watching-France-is-like-watching-clowns-at-the-circus-says-Jeremy-Guscott.html

Even Guscott is shooting on ambulances!  Rolling Eyes 

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Wed 26 Feb 2014, 5:40 pm

I'd give a proper match thread a shot if people wanted? But I wouldn't want to upset George so I won't.

Scotland V France pre match build up Article-2310360-1957AAAF000005DC-920_306x423

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 26 Feb 2014, 5:42 pm

Go for it nematode!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Wed 26 Feb 2014, 7:02 pm

Done it. Not as good as George's but as he's busy atm hopefully this will stand in temporarily. Added a cheeky wee poll and as I couldn't find previous results (cba tbh) I put in match highlights to vary things up. Credit to George Calrin though as it does take a fair bit of time.

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 26 Feb 2014, 8:04 pm

I'll lock this thread and direct everyone to your far superior one!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down