The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ON THIS DAY IN HISTORY

+5
Hammersmith harrier
hazharrison
TRUSSMAN66
TopHat24/7
88Chris05
9 posters

Go down

ON THIS DAY IN HISTORY Empty ON THIS DAY IN HISTORY

Post by Guest Tue 25 Feb 2014, 1:28 pm

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/boxing/article-2566735/Its-50-years-feat-Clay-shook-world-changed-course-history.html

Clay beats Liston to become the youngest ever HW champion of the World.

Thought it might be worth a mention

Back to top Go down

ON THIS DAY IN HISTORY Empty Re: ON THIS DAY IN HISTORY

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 25 Feb 2014, 1:42 pm

Thinking about this the other day, Dave. Some historian of sorts (no idea what his name is) theorised that the three vital moments which defined the sixties and laid the foundations for the way the world has been shaped since all came within three months of each other; Kennedy's assassination, The Beatles touching down in New York for the first time, and then Clay upsetting Liston and announcing himself as king.

Probably a bit overblown for some people's taste, but still a phenomenal and massively important moment in sporting history.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 25 Feb 2014, 1:42 pm

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2567250/Newly-released-FBI-files-released-50th-anniversary-legendary-Ali-vs-Liston-1964-championship-bout-reveal-suspicions-rigged-mob.html

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 25 Feb 2014, 1:47 pm

Chris is right...........A defining moment in the sport of boxing..........

Wonderful, wonderful performance.....Showing that speed and a great jab will dent any menacing bully........Stole Liston's heart and kick started for me the greatest fighter in history's career.......

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue 25 Feb 2014, 2:06 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2567250/Newly-released-FBI-files-released-50th-anniversary-legendary-Ali-vs-Liston-1964-championship-bout-reveal-suspicions-rigged-mob.html

Something I've long suspected -- doesn't look like it will ever be proven, though.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 25 Feb 2014, 2:09 pm

Guess all the ringsiders that heard the thuds hitting Liston's face and seeing his eye swell up..

Imagined it.........

Reckon Douglas-Tyson was fixed too............After all similar fight..Where a pressure fighting bully gets owned by a jab..

Bonafide victory for me........Liston as history proved just wasn't in the same league...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue 25 Feb 2014, 2:14 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Guess all the ringsiders that heard the thuds hitting Liston's face and seeing his eye swell up..

Imagined it.........

Reckon Douglas-Tyson was fixed too............After all similar fight..Where a pressure fighting bully gets owned by a jab..

Bonafide victory for me........Liston as history proved just wasn't in the same league...

I guess everyone sees what they want to see.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 25 Feb 2014, 2:19 pm

I agree Mate...........But trashing one of the greatest performances of alltime because an organisation as twonky as the FBI were interested is a bit of a reach...

The FBI refused to believe there was a Cosa Nostra in America back in the day !!.......

They didn't take 9/11 intelligence seriously.........

They are a joke..

Think Ali deserves a bit more respect......I know you liked Liston and there was much to like but he was outclassed.......

The second fight........That's another story..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue 25 Feb 2014, 2:22 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I agree Mate...........But trashing one of the greatest performances of alltime because an organisation as twonky as the FBI were interested is a bit of a reach...

The FBI refused to believe there was a Cosa Nostra in America back in the day !!.......

They didn't take 9/11 intelligence seriously.........

They are a joke..

Think Ali deserves a bit more respect......I know you liked Liston and there was much to like but he was outclassed.......

The second fight........That's another story..

I see a guy pulling his punches in that first fight and lying down (in one of the most pathetic attempts at acting ever captured on film) in the second.

I don't think it hurts Ali's legacy in the slightest.

Last edited by hazharrison on Tue 25 Feb 2014, 5:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 25 Feb 2014, 2:35 pm

If people took this seriously it would hurt his legacy...

Because people would say he couldn't have beaten Liston without it being fixed....

People forget how dis-spiriting being on the end of a jab can be for a fighter....and someone in your ear telling you..you look crap..

Look at Leonard - Duran 2..........

You watch Tyson-Lewis and Tyson had basically given up by the end of the second because he couldn't get close.....

Same applied here...........

Second fight........Like Big Cat Williams he lost his bottle..

Ali was a very confident.... cocky fighter.......Guys like Liston and Tyson prey on intimidating the opposition........

As I said bonafide for me.............He whips Liston all day every day...

Like everybody else who ever lived and fought at heavy..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue 25 Feb 2014, 2:59 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:If people took this seriously it would hurt his legacy...

Because people would say he couldn't have beaten Liston without it being fixed....

People forget how dis-spiriting being on the end of a jab can be for a fighter....and someone in your ear telling you..you look crap..

Look at Leonard - Duran 2..........

You watch Tyson-Lewis and Tyson had basically given up by the end of the second because he couldn't get close.....

Same applied here...........

Second fight........Like Big Cat Williams he lost his bottle..

Ali was a very confident.... cocky fighter.......Guys like Liston and Tyson prey on intimidating the opposition........

As I said bonafide for me.............He whips Liston all day every day...

Like everybody else who ever lived and fought at heavy..

I didn't read the first Liston fight that way -- the fight was level after six remember (Ali had asked Dundee to cut off his gloves at the end of a previous round). Liston chased Ali all over the ring but couldn't get off. It has always looked to me that he was pulling his punches. The notion that the first fight was rigged would make sense in that regard.

He flat out lay down in the second fight without even catching a solid enough shot (even Ali is doing his nut at Liston having fluffed his lines).

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 25 Feb 2014, 3:00 pm

You think Marciano v Walcott 2 was rigged ??

Liston always insisted he didn't lay down and that he was up on his feet fighting when he was stopped......Hardly the act of a man who was throwing a fight ??

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Tue 25 Feb 2014, 3:02 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ..)

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Tue 25 Feb 2014, 3:03 pm

First fight was completely on the level for me, Ali was just too good. The only reason it was close Haz was because Ali was near enough blind for a round and a half (foreign substance on Listons gloves), now a guy about to throw a fight doesn't go to such lengths to try and win.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 25 Feb 2014, 3:07 pm

I agree whilst I think the 2nd was Liston caving in..........There is more of a case with that one..

Although liston could have stayed down !!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue 25 Feb 2014, 5:40 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:First fight was completely on the level for me, Ali was just too good. The only reason it was close Haz was because Ali was near enough blind for a round and a half (foreign substance on Listons gloves)

Allegedly.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 25 Feb 2014, 5:41 pm

Allegedly is good enough...........Up to the sceptics to prove it wasn't........

I think Manny may be naughty......Till he's found out.... his legacy is intact....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Tue 25 Feb 2014, 5:54 pm

If Ali was blind why didn't Liston just knock him out?

Liston badly tarnished his legacy,  In return he got a $1,000,000.

Without the Ali debacles Liston could well be in the Top 5 ATG's.

Was never a fan of Sonny's.  He has never seemed that likeable to me.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 25 Feb 2014, 5:57 pm

If a million dollars back then is worth several times now..........Why fight 15 times after Ali ??

He wasn't quick enough to catch Ali..and you don't like Ali

If Holy beat Lewis and Bowe he'd be top 3.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Tue 25 Feb 2014, 6:24 pm

hazharrison wrote:
Hammersmith harrier wrote:First fight was completely on the level for me, Ali was just too good. The only reason it was close Haz was because Ali was near enough blind for a round and a half (foreign substance on Listons gloves)

Allegedly.

Forgotten Milkys lecture already?

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue 25 Feb 2014, 6:26 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:If a million dollars back then is worth several times now..........Why fight 15 times after Ali ??

He wasn't quick enough to catch Ali..and you don't like Ali

If Holy beat Lewis and Bowe he'd be top 3.

Holyfield did beat Bowe.

Liston was quick enough - he completely outboxed Clay in the 4th and also took 3 and 5.

Not that I'm making excuses for him - he made his bed.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue 25 Feb 2014, 6:27 pm

ShahenshahG wrote:
hazharrison wrote:

Allegedly.

On?

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 25 Feb 2014, 6:31 pm

You're right..... but I meant the trilogy with Bowe..........my mistake.

Duran won a couple of rounds against Leonard and quit Mate...

The 6th is the pivotal round me thinks when he realised it's not my night..

Like I said sometimes when you like a fighter .......The truth hurts....

Did when Curry lost to Honey...........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue 25 Feb 2014, 6:34 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:You're right..... but I meant the trilogy with Bowe..........my mistake.

Well, maybe. We'll probably never know and so my theories are nothing more than that. Not a huge fan of Liston the man - much prefer Ali.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Tue 25 Feb 2014, 6:43 pm

hazharrison wrote:
ShahenshahG wrote:
hazharrison wrote:

Allegedly.

On?

Using the evidence you have seen with your eyes rather than someone elses report?

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Tue 25 Feb 2014, 8:41 pm

hazharrison wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:You're right..... but I meant the trilogy with Bowe..........my mistake.

Well, maybe. We'll probably never know and so my theories are nothing more than that. Not a huge fan of Liston the man - much prefer Ali.

Not a fan of a man who was born into poverty in a large family. Growing up in a country where there was no place for people like him in society, in and out of jail as a result of there being no place to go in society for people like him, finds his calling in the boxing ring the hardest career path, establishes himself as the best amongst his peers, becoms champion of the world yet is still hated.

40 years after his death a group of boxing fans on an online sports forum remember his name and what he acheived.......whats not to like about a man who made a name for himself when all the odds were against him?

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Wed 26 Feb 2014, 9:50 am

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:
hazharrison wrote:

Not a fan of a man who was born into poverty in a large family. Growing up in a country where there was no place for people like him in society, in and out of jail as a result of there being no place to go in society for people like him, finds his calling in the boxing ring the hardest career path, establishes himself as the best amongst his peers, becoms champion of the world yet is still hated.

40 years after his death a group of boxing fans on an online sports forum remember his name and what he acheived.......whats not to like about a man who made a name for himself when all the odds were against him?

I don't dislike him or hate him. I'm pretty ambivalent towards Liston. Loved the fighter, though. Possibly the most underrated fighter who ever lived.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 26 Feb 2014, 9:54 am

I don't know Don Curry personally either..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Wed 26 Feb 2014, 12:44 pm

88Chris05 wrote:Thinking about this the other day, Dave. Some historian of sorts (no idea what his name is) theorised that the three vital moments which defined the sixties and laid the foundations for the way the world has been shaped since all came within three months of each other; Kennedy's assassination, The Beatles touching down in New York for the first time, and then Clay upsetting Liston and announcing himself as king.

Probably a bit overblown for some people's taste, but still a phenomenal and massively important moment in sporting history.

I would have thought the moon landing may have been in there somewhere, but that's just me!!

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down