The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Eurovision 2014

+4
TRUSSMAN66
dyrewolfe
TopHat24/7
Nematode
8 posters

Go down

Eurovision 2014 Empty Eurovision 2014

Post by Nematode Mon 03 Mar 2014, 8:29 pm

At the rate Europe's going, it might not happen. But if it does, here's our entry:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01t6t0r

The main line is 'power to the people'. Could see some votes from the East here.

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Eurovision 2014 Empty Re: Eurovision 2014

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 04 Mar 2014, 10:08 am

Hopefully it doesn't happen.

Ridiculous dross competition that should be ditched in the same bin as Big Brother.

Only 'big' because of all the desperate and jealous 'European' countries that have cack domestic music industries that nobody gives a flying feic about.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Wed 05 Mar 2014, 3:14 pm

Could be a lot of angry protest songs...which on its own would make it worth watching. Laugh

I confess to usually watching, due to the fact you nearly always get a few decent entries. There always 1 or 2 countries that enter rock / metal acts. Plus there is usually a decent folky / ballad type song that isn't sickeningly sentimental or just generally naff.

Would love to see Pu$$y Riot as Russia's entry!!!
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 05 Mar 2014, 3:16 pm

It'd be funnier if Pu$$y Riot were UKRAINE's entry!!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 05 Mar 2014, 4:33 pm

The results every year show just how much everybody hates the Brits...No wonder some people want out of the EU !!

Maybe the Scottish entry next year will win..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 05 Mar 2014, 4:35 pm

Wish we'd let the US enter so we wouldn't keep getting the wooden spoon.....

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by The Fourth Lion Thu 06 Mar 2014, 12:32 am

TopHat24/7 wrote:Wish we'd let the US enter so we wouldn't keep getting the wooden spoon.....

Hmmmm... interesting thought, but if that happened, then at the risk of stating the glaringly bleedin' obvious, it ... erm.... wouldn't be Eurovision any more, would it..?

But hey, let's not let a little thing like a three thousand mile wide ocean get in the way of the fun of an American entry. If it did happen then of course USA would win it. It wouldn't matter if they didn't actually get as many votes as other countries, they'd just jiggy the table around to something that looked like they won..

Rather like they did with the Olympic medal table after the Beijing Games........

http://www.theguardian.com/news/blog/2008/aug/14/bustedhowamericaturnedthe
The Fourth Lion
The Fourth Lion

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 06 Mar 2014, 9:20 am

Well, at the risk of stating the bleedin' obvious back, how many of the countries competing would you consider 'European'??

Turkey?
Iceland?
Russia?
Morocco?!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 06 Mar 2014, 10:15 am

The Fourth Lion wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:Wish we'd let the US enter so we wouldn't keep getting the wooden spoon.....

Hmmmm... interesting thought, but if that happened, then at the risk of stating the glaringly bleedin' obvious, it ... erm.... wouldn't be Eurovision any more, would it..?

Laugh thumbsup 

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Trebs Thu 06 Mar 2014, 10:18 am

I'm a big fan of Molly's work, but this song really disappoints me. I want her to make it and do well but not with this cack.

I love Eurovision and can't wait for the contest, I'm pretty sure it'll go ahead, maybe with a few countries pulling out.

Trebs

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 06 Mar 2014, 10:20 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
The Fourth Lion wrote:

Laugh thumbsup 

TopHat24/7 wrote:Well, at the risk of stating the bleedin' obvious back, how many of the countries competing would you consider 'European'??

Turkey?
Iceland?
Russia?
Morocco?!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 06 Mar 2014, 10:23 am

I knew you wouldn't be able to leave it !! Cool Cool Cool Cool 

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 06 Mar 2014, 11:42 am

Eurovision should be PPV and not inflicted on the population as a whole. It's pointless bullsh!t and to give you and idea of how sh!t it is, even Terry Wogan won't touch it with a barge pole now.

This year should see 150 entries...all singing a variation on "Mr Putin, we'll suck you off and still allow you to be a homophobe, just don't cut off our gas!"

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Thu 06 Mar 2014, 2:21 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
The Fourth Lion wrote:

Laugh thumbsup 

TopHat24/7 wrote:Well, at the risk of stating the bleedin' obvious back, how many of the countries competing would you consider 'European'??

Turkey?
Iceland?
Russia?
Morocco?!

Ever since medieval times Turkey has straddled the European and Arabic worlds and is known as the Gateway to Arabia (or Europe I guess - depending on which way you're going). It may be a recent entrant to the EU but it has the history.

Don't really know about Iceland but I guess they're aligned with the other Scandinavian countries. Just because they're an island, it shouldn't mean they can't be part of the EU - or quite a few members would be in trouble.

Russia may have been evil Commies for over half a century but they've always geographically been part of Europe.

Morocco...seriously? When did they join?

Think I'm also right in saying Israel have been allowed to compete for ages...and at no time have they ever been members of any European organisation.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 06 Mar 2014, 2:28 pm

It may be a recent entrant to the EU but it has the history

-------------------

When the f*** did that happen?

Basically you're just making up a load of countries being 'part of the EU'.

Israel are indeed another example of the BS and why US may as well enter for all the geographic relevance of the 'competition'.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 06 Mar 2014, 2:39 pm

The great European country Israel won with that transgender singer didn't they?

No doubt Kin Jong Un is gearing up for North Korea's tilt at the Eurovision title.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Fourth Lion Fri 07 Mar 2014, 7:34 am

The issue of who is eligible to take part in Eurovision is quite simple, really.

The Eurovision Song Contest was originally devised by the European Broadcasting Union (EBU) as a means of bringing together the countries of a still war-ravaged continent.  The idea was for a "light entertainment" programme to which each participating nation would have an input and it would be broadcast simultaneously to all participating countries.  The competition would be based around the Sanremo Music Festival which was already in existence in Italy at that time.

The first contest was held in Switzerland in 1956 and it has continued in pretty much the same format, with a bit of jiggying here and there ever since.   However, the eligibility rule has always been that in order to participate, a nation must be a member of the EBU within the European Broadcasting Area, which is defined as (according to Wiki):

bounded on the west by the western boundary of a line running from the North Pole along meridian 10° West of Greenwich to its intersection with parallel 72° North; , on the east by the meridian 40° East of Greenwich and on the south by the parallel 30° North so as to include the northern part of Saudi Arabia and that part of those countries bordering the Mediterranean within these limits. In addition, Azerbaijan and those parts of the territories of Iraq, Jordan, Syrian Arab Republic, Turkey and Ukraine lying outside the above limits are included in the European Broadcasting Area.

Now, I'm no geographical whizz kid, but I'm pretty sure that that that part of the global demographic does NOT include the United States of America, but as the bit highlighted in red shows, DOES include Morocco.

If anybody disagrees with this, they're welcome to put their case.  I'd be interested to read their informed opinion.
The Fourth Lion
The Fourth Lion

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 07 Mar 2014, 9:52 am

Nice Wikipedia mining.

Still doesn't stop it being bollox though, both the competition itself or the suggestion that clearly not European countries are included in a 'Euro' contest, EBU/A origins or not.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 07 Mar 2014, 10:44 am

so as to include the northern part of Saudi Arabia
Be nice if the Saudi's donated a sizable chuck of their wealth into the EU pot then (and buying Manchester City does not count)

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 07 Mar 2014, 1:11 pm

Be nice If they didn't donate to the EU pot...but kept on donating to the City one..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 07 Mar 2014, 2:03 pm

We'll take a couple of quid at Anfield if it's going spare

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Mon 10 Mar 2014, 5:13 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:It may be a recent entrant to the EU but it has the history

-------------------

Israel are indeed another example of the BS and why US may as well enter for all the geographic relevance of the 'competition'.

I thought Turkey joined with the last expansion...or is their application still under review? I know there was talk of them joining, but haven't been following too closely.

As far as Fourth Lion's referncing of the EBA regulation on Wiki, I agree the principle is a load of rubbish. However, I suppose we should remember it is called the EuroVISION Song Contest and not the EUROPEAN Song Contest. I guess that implies something to do with broadcasting, rather than nationality / membership of a geopolitical group.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Mon 10 Mar 2014, 10:29 pm

Eurovision is stupid. How people in England can actually enjoy watching it, is beyond me.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 10 Mar 2014, 10:43 pm

Well some people enjoy X-Factor and Britain's Got Talent in this country, so maybe Eurovision is a step up? Or a step down, perhaps.

It's all fixed though.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 11 Mar 2014, 10:51 am

dyrewolfe wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:It may be a recent entrant to the EU but it has the history

-------------------

I thought Turkey joined with the last expansion...or is their application still under review? I know there was talk of them joining, but haven't been following too closely.

As far as Fourth Lion's referncing of the EBA regulation on Wiki, I agree the principle is a load of rubbish. However, I suppose we should remember it is called the EuroVISION Song Contest and not the EUROPEAN Song Contest. I guess that implies something to do with broadcasting, rather than nationality / membership of a geopolitical group.
Actually it's called Eurovison as it has long since ceased to be a song competition and is just a thinly veiled suck up to political allies in the hope of forging trade agreements and/or not getting shafted by the Russians.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 11 Mar 2014, 2:03 pm

Not sure the Ukrainians will be voting for Russia though..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Tue 11 Mar 2014, 4:14 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Not sure the Ukrainians will be voting for Russia though..

They will if Putin is able to get enough troops in there.  Wink 
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down