The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England vs Wales Match day thread

+90
doctor_grey
No 7&1/2
TopHat24/7
rodders
No9
GavinDragon
Chjw131
tazfalklands
Cowshot
Exiledinborders
LondonTiger
jelly
Taffineastbourne
aitchw
XR
BamBam
Geordie
englandglory4ever
Jimpy
Breadvan
Casartelli
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Portnoy's Complaint
gavstar
Barney McGrew did it
nlpnlp
Poorfour
king_carlos
TrailApe
Heaf
MissBlennerhassett
ChequeredJersey
Seagultaf
Cumbrian
hugehandoff
welshy824 (new)
Scrumpy
WELL-PAST-IT
sportform
lostinwales
The Bachelor
Scratch
Cyril
BlueNote
Cardiff Taffy
Metal Tiger
Rory_Gallagher
Duty281
gregortree
LeinsterFan4life
kingelderfield
beshocked
gramps
George Carlin
ALPanorak
sickofwendy
TJ
wales606
GLove39
mystiroakey
Rugby Fan
Sgt_Pooly
Hood83
Nematode
glamorganalun
mckay1402
HammerofThunor
TheMildlyFranticLlama
stub
kiakahaaotearoa
majesticimperialman
RDSguru
yappysnap
quinsforever
nobbled
Nachos Jones
RuggerBoy
Pal Joey
EnglishReign
Hookisms and Hyperbole
RDW
Biltong
GloriousEmpire
SecretFly
nathan
slartibartfast
rainbow-warrior
offload
BigTrevsbigmac
maestegmafia
94 posters

Page 16 of 17 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Go down

England vs Wales Match day thread - Page 16 Empty England vs Wales Match day thread

Post by maestegmafia Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:59 am

First topic message reminder :

SIX NATIONS: ENGLAND V WALES
Venue: Twickenham Date: Sunday, 9 March Kick-off: 15:00 GMT
Coverage: Watch live on BBC One, BBC One HD, listen on BBC Radio 5 Live

England

15-Mike Brown, 14-Jack Nowell, 13-Luther Burrell, 12-Billy Twelvetrees, 11-Jonny May, 10-Owen Farrell, 9-Danny Care

1-Joe Marler, 2-Dylan Hartley, 3-David Wilson, 4-Joe Launchbury, 5-Courtney Lawes, 6-Tom Wood, 7-Chris Robshaw (captain), 8-Ben Morgan

Replacements: 16-Tom Youngs, 17-Mako Vunipola, 18-Henry Thomas, 19-Dave Attwood, 20-Tom Johnson, 21-Lee Dickson, 22-George Ford, 23-Alex Goode

Wales

15-Leigh Halfpenny, 14-Alex Cuthbert, 13-Jonathan Davies, 12-Jamie Roberts, 11-George North, 10-Rhys Priestland, 9-Rhys Webb

1-Gethin Jenkins, 2-Richard Hibbard, 3-Adam Jones, 4-Jake Ball, 5-Alun Wyn Jones, 6-Dan Lydiate, 7-Sam Warburton (capt), 8-Taulupe Faletau

Replacements: Ken Owens, Paul James, Rhodri Jones, Andrew Coombs, Justin Tipuric, Mike Phillips, Dan Biggar, Liam Williams
MATCH OFFICIALS

Referee : Romain Poite (Fra)

Touch judges : Steve Walsh (Aus) & Lourens van der Merwe (RSA)
TV Official : Simon McDowell (Ire)

Next up for Wales is a trip to London and after all the banter coming out of the England camp it is time to finish the hype this match has been building and play some rugby. Have England improved on last year? Will home advantage be enough? Has Wales over come a trough and reached another high?

With plenty of injuries to key players, in fact some of England's very best players are out of this game, a convincing win for England over Wales will give the nation huge confidence going forward, maybe even a shot at the championship next weekend.

The build up seems to have been all about England, Wales are a known entity, twice champions in recent years with pretty much the same team they field tomorrow, little change to their game plan or style gives very little to discuss.

On the many various threads the situation is similar, all about England, with very little admiration of this perceivably over-rated Welsh team that have failed to beat a Southern Hemisphere top three team since 2008, the mark of all great sides.

In all honesty a tough and challenging end to the Six Nations will do this Welsh set up some good, possibly more good than the confidence a third consecutive championship would give them. Wales have little to lose and less to prove, a defeat in the manner of last years game would be vastly more detrimental to their hosts.

I hope all the fans enjoy the game, I am sure it will be the usual roller coaster of emotion for both Nations.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

England vs Wales Match day thread - Page 16 Empty Re: England vs Wales Match day thread

Post by Taffineastbourne Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:30 pm

Biltong wrote:Why don't you all just stick to rugby and leave the petty squabbles out of it?
Having won one in a row against Wales some folk have got a bit overexcited.I shall let them enjoy the moment.

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

England vs Wales Match day thread - Page 16 Empty Re: England vs Wales Match day thread

Post by Cowshot Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:53 pm

Biltong wrote:Why don't you all just stick to rugby and leave the petty squabbles out of it?

Because when people like scratch and co have been splurging poo everywhere for weeks, it's very difficult not to rub their noses in it by way of a sort of kneejerk reaction. I deleted my post above along those lines because there are many good Welsh posters on this site and I've already had my say on the matter, offending faa019 (I think that's the name) along the way.

Incidentally - my apologies, faa. Blame scratch and saint and rainbow keyboard woofter and their like for my reaction. That's where it came from: years of drip drip drip.

Cowshot

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:02 am

Taffineastbourne wrote:
Having won one in a row against Wales some folk have got a bit overexcited.I shall let them enjoy the moment.

You've got to start a run somewhere Taff.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:10 am

Scratch wrote:
quinsforever wrote:much of the time, being 1m away is a hindrance rather than a help.

unless you think the advent of TMOs is a step backwards given that their most frequent use is verifying tries in corners where the touch judge is 1m away?

of course the ball is in the air. it is always in the air when a pass is cleanly taken. but that has nothing to do with whether he jumped into the tackle or not.

did i read you telling me to put away a biased view? LOL.  laughing 

yep cos right now you are making yourself look a fool being so one eyed about a 50/50 ref decision.

become a ref, you clearly HAVE to be right and everyone else MUST agree

Enjoy your win, it's amazing how rabid some fans become when they win one solitary game against us.  thumbsup 

I wondered how long it would be before the faux respect gave way to the indignant and childish foot stamping. I suppose it was alright for you to be (virtually constantly) derogatory, annoying and baiting in the run up to the match? Well, you don't like it when the boot is on the other foot do you?

Wales have had their day (and yes, they have enjoyed recent and consistent success against England) but it is coming to an end. I doubt the result will be much different in Cardiff next year for the 6N, or at Twickenham during the World Cup. England have matured and are moving on with a quality squad and it would seem, decent coaching staff. They have strength in depth across all 15 positions, the confidence to take on the opposition and a solid defence. Wales have empty cupboards, a serious lack of talented back-up in some key positions and as limited game plan. The U20 result shows that England is developing a future dynasty from grass roots - it may have taken 11 years, but it's beginning to pay off. Rugby is sinusoidal in terms of its dominant teams (outside the top three), now, it's England's turn. Accept it.

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:13 am

Casartelli wrote:Bottom line - on neutral turf, first choices all available, there wouldn't be a silver Rizla between Wales and England. (assuming Priestland is left back at Rehab).

This is Ireland's year. Stuffed us out of sight.  Hugely unlucky to get robbed at HQ.

Welsh and English fans are now just bald men arguing over a comb.

If that was called 'unlucky' then what the hell was England's result versus France?

Leading up until the last 2 minutes and only ever behind due to France twice getting lucky bounces falling in their favour.

Better team won at HQ, no hint or suggestion of unluck let alone robbery.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:51 pm

Taffineastbourne wrote:

Yeah chill out Biltong, one win in a row against England and your lot think they are suddenly the second best team in the world  Rolling Eyes 

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:07 pm

Aw i see all the kids have come back online now after sulking from their defeat....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:20 pm

Look...a win over Wales was overdue. It did seem like an eternity since 2011 but lets move on? Its like feeding chips to seagulls.
The only schadenfreunde I 'enjoyed'  was the glum faces on scrum v.

Last edited by Breadvan on Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:29 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:
Casartelli wrote:Bottom line - on neutral turf, first choices all available, there wouldn't be a silver Rizla between Wales and England. (assuming Priestland is left back at Rehab).

This is Ireland's year. Stuffed us out of sight.  Hugely unlucky to get robbed at HQ.

Welsh and English fans are now just bald men arguing over a comb.

If that was called 'unlucky' then what the hell was England's result versus France?

Leading up until the last 2 minutes and only ever behind due to France twice getting lucky bounces falling in their favour.

Better team won at HQ, no hint or suggestion of unluck let alone robbery.

Don't think it's been mentioned before but I thought France were also lucky to get away with feeding the ball straight to the No.8 in the scrum that led up to their last try ... oh well these things happen

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by MissBlennerhassett Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:43 pm

Does this forum usually descend in such childish squabbling? A bit of banter is fine, we all like winning, but if you've ever played the game you know full well it's all done out of mutual respect.
I'm new to this board but it does seem to be divided not by nationality, but be real rugby fans and numpties.

MissBlennerhassett

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:47 pm

Pot, kettle, black.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:50 pm

dunno, but the england ireland thread didnt have anything like this. and that maxed out 3 times before matchday.

there was some really puerile stuff from some posters on this thread pre-match, and that set the scene for the post match willy waggling.

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by MissBlennerhassett Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:51 pm

LondonTiger wrote:Pot, kettle, black.

LT, back that up.

As I said, I'm all for a bit of good natured banter but I will not defame a nation or show disrespect. Show me once where I have or retract your comment.

MissBlennerhassett

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:54 pm

You still think Farrell and the centres can't play Miss?

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by MissBlennerhassett Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:02 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:You still think Farrell and the centres can't play Miss?

I think you're mistaking me for someone else. I, against much opposition from from yourself among others, was crediting 36 for his play, and I've heralded Burrell from the start. Farrell on the other hand, I have criticized, so get it right.

On Farrell, obviously it's hard to be negative after a near faultless kicking display. I still believe he offers little to the line speed and breaking the gainline, either as a runner or passer. I still argue that with Burns at 10, we'd score more tries but may concede more points as well.

MissBlennerhassett

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:06 pm

Yeah you said 'The problem is is that with Farrell at 10 any centre combo are going to look ordinary, there's your problem.' Personally thought it was a very good performance by all 3 players. Clearly the best by a country mile but just wanted to check if you'd seen the light!

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by MissBlennerhassett Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:14 pm

I see, you omitted the all important word "together". Listen, I've always said I'll back the kid, he shows a lot of heart and his place kicking and out of hand were exemplary on Sunday, but the centres and back line as a whole would look a lot better along side Burns.

MissBlennerhassett

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:18 pm

Have you seen Burns this season? He a shambles of a player

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:18 pm

The only omission from your quote is the 2nd sentence; in full 'The problem is is that with Farrell at 10 any centre combo are going to look ordinary, there's your problem. With Burns, Flood or Cips for that matter at FH any combinbation of Burrell, 36, Barritt or Manu will look a lot better.'

Like I said, just wanted to see if you were ready to admit the best 10 is currently in place. Still not seen much of Burns this season eh!

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by MissBlennerhassett Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:26 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:The only omission from your quote is the 2nd sentence; in full 'The problem is is that with Farrell at 10 any centre combo are going to look ordinary, there's your problem. With Burns, Flood or Cips for that matter at FH any combinbation of Burrell, 36, Barritt or Manu will look a lot better.'

Like I said, just wanted to see if you were ready to admit the best 10 is currently in place. Still not seen much of Burns this season eh!

No, don't think he is. Farrell is a good player no doubt but he not got the potential of Burns

MissBlennerhassett

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:32 pm

Oh i'd agree with that. Burns has loads of potential, just playing really really badly. I'll graciously accept your apology of the accusation I altered your quote.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:35 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:Yeah you said 'The problem is is that with Farrell at 10 any centre combo are going to look ordinary, there's your problem.' Personally thought it was a very good performance by all 3 players. Clearly the best by a country mile but just wanted to check if you'd seen the light!
I agree it was a good performance, no doubts.  I think it was Twelvetree's best, and we probably all agree.  Farrell was good too.  My concern is despite having an edge most of the match, England still only scored two tries.  The third 'nearly' try late in the second half was a result of a few individual performances, not a well worked attack.

I am not criticising England because I am very happy we won.  Just the opposite.   I am merely pointing out England played very well, yet show a lot of room for improvement.  England beat a very good team and could have done more.  Which is a very good thing at this moment in time.  I hope they can convert this potential into consistent performances.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:37 pm

doctor_grey wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:Yeah you said 'The problem is is that with Farrell at 10 any centre combo are going to look ordinary, there's your problem.' Personally thought it was a very good performance by all 3 players. Clearly the best by a country mile but just wanted to check if you'd seen the light!
I agree it was a good performance, no doubts.  I think it was Twelvetree's best, and we probably all agree.  Farrell was good too.  My concern is despite having an edge most of the match, England still only scored two tries.  The third 'nearly' try late in the second half was a result of a few individual performances, not a well worked attack.

I am not criticising England because I am very happy we won.  Just the opposite.   I am merely pointing out England played very well, yet show a lot of room for improvement.  England beat a very good team and could have done more.  Which is a very good thing at this moment in time.  I hope they can convert this potential into consistent performances.

Yup. Bit of work needed on a rolling maul as well as the flashier stuff for me.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:38 pm

Breadvan wrote:Look...a win over Wales was overdue. It did seem like an eternity since 2011 but lets move on? Its like feeding chips to seagulls.
The only schadenfreunde I 'enjoyed'  was the glum faces on scrum v. Even thats losts its appeal since Jason Mohammed left...

I dont miss much from my time in Swansea but I wouldnt have minded hearing some of the sports phone in programs on the local radio there this week.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:38 pm

Didn't we have a couple of 5m lineouts that came to nothing again? Not really good enough (although by the time of the last one the game was already won).

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by MissBlennerhassett Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:41 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:You still think Farrell and the centres can't play Miss?

Nope, you did misquote me there. Still I won't hold it against you.

MissBlennerhassett

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:44 pm

I didn't quote you in the first instance. You responded to the quote though, which was correct. Bit below the belt to accuse people of altering quotes and then not holding your hands up when you're wrong.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by MissBlennerhassett Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:48 pm

Nice try! You implied that I'd said the centres were no good, whereas you now realise your mistake and know that I was talking about there ability to look good alongside Farrell. Goo on hold your hands up and admit your mistake, it'll make you feel better.

MissBlennerhassett

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:51 pm

miss b what was it you said about childish arguments, that you have now come on and started?

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:59 pm

quinsforever wrote:miss b what was it you said about childish arguments, that you have now come on and started?

He reminds me of HERSH.... hmmmm

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by MissBlennerhassett Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:00 pm

quinsforever wrote:miss b what was it you said about childish arguments, that you have now come on and started?

Oi, are you starting?

It was 7.5 who started it, honest!

MissBlennerhassett

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:01 pm

MissBlennerhassett wrote:Nice try! You implied that I'd said the centres were no good, whereas you now realise your mistake and know that I was talking about there ability to look good alongside Farrell. Goo on hold your hands up and admit your mistake, it'll make you feel better.

I'll take it back then, thought you were responding to my post rather than posting twice about my 1st post and ignoring the other. Good to know you were wrong about Farrell making the centres look ordinary though.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:03 pm

MissBlennerhassett wrote:

Oi, are you starting?

where are scratch and saint when you need them, eh? LOL

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by MissBlennerhassett Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:05 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:
MissBlennerhassett wrote:Nice try! You implied that I'd said the centres were no good, whereas you now realise your mistake and know that I was talking about there ability to look good alongside Farrell. Goo on hold your hands up and admit your mistake, it'll make you feel better.

I'll take it back then, thought you were responding to my post rather than posting twice about my 1st post and ignoring the other. Good to know you were wrong about Farrell making the centres look ordinary though.

Blinking nora! Can't follow that but I'll agree with you anyway. But Farrell on the other hand.................

MissBlennerhassett

Back to top Go down

Post by MissBlennerhassett Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:06 pm

quinsforever wrote:

Oi, are you starting?

or scratch and sniff?

MissBlennerhassett

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:08 pm

probably licking their wounds...

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:09 pm

lostinwales wrote:
Breadvan wrote:Look...a win over Wales was overdue. It did seem like an eternity since 2011 but lets move on? Its like feeding chips to seagulls.
The only schadenfreunde I 'enjoyed'  was the glum faces on scrum v. Even thats losts its appeal since Jason Mohammed left...

I dont miss much from my time in Swansea but I wouldnt have minded hearing some of the sports phone in programs on the local radio there this week.

Is there any? lol. Radio Wales maybe..There used to be a rugby phone in on Real radio but thats stopped. In fact, with Swansea playing at on sat at 1500, I bet there's little interest in the Scotland game..
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by nobbled Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:11 pm

quinsforever wrote:

Oi, are you starting?

or scratch and sniff?

Both probably trying to talk DeludedOptimist off a bridge somewhere.
nobbled
nobbled

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmyinthewell68 Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:08 pm

ok from a Welsh perspective , any Welsh man shouldn't have been shocked how we played and how we lost . it been on the cards since the Ireland game and to be honest it just showed how bad France are when we played them . anyway well done England you be kicking your self over the French game . you could have had the slam

jimmyinthewell68

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:08 pm

Jimpy wrote:
Scratch wrote:
quinsforever wrote:much of the time, being 1m away is a hindrance rather than a help.

unless you think the advent of TMOs is a step backwards given that their most frequent use is verifying tries in corners where the touch judge is 1m away?

of course the ball is in the air. it is always in the air when a pass is cleanly taken. but that has nothing to do with whether he jumped into the tackle or not.

did i read you telling me to put away a biased view? LOL.  laughing 

yep cos right now you are making yourself look a fool being so one eyed about a 50/50 ref decision.

become a ref, you clearly HAVE to be right and everyone else MUST agree

Enjoy your win, it's amazing how rabid some fans become when they win one solitary game against us.  thumbsup 

I wondered how long it would be before the faux respect gave way to the indignant and childish foot stamping. I suppose it was alright for you to be (virtually constantly) derogatory, annoying and baiting in the run up to the match? Well, you don't like it when the boot is on the other foot do you?

Wales have had their day (and yes, they have enjoyed recent and consistent success against England) but it is coming to an end. I doubt the result will be much different in Cardiff next year for the 6N, or at Twickenham during the World Cup. England have matured and are moving on with a quality squad and it would seem, decent coaching staff. They have strength in depth across all 15 positions, the confidence to take on the opposition and a solid defence. Wales have empty cupboards, a serious lack of talented back-up in some key positions and as limited game plan. The U20 result shows that England is developing a future dynasty from grass roots - it may have taken 11 years, but it's beginning to pay off. Rugby is sinusoidal in terms of its dominant teams (outside the top three), now, it's England's turn. Accept it.

Premature as ever….your 'dominance' (hilarious that you think beating the double chaps somehow makes you dominant!) will probably last until next sautrday when ireland win and england finish 2nd yet again in the 6 nations, their traditional spot for the last 11 years, and then a quick trip down to NZ where their devalued side will catch a cold from the ABs.  thumbsup 

Anyway congrats on the win, it must have been nice to finally be able to buy a Triple Crown T shirt.

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:12 pm

Yawn

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Chjw131 Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:23 pm

This has to be one of the lowest standard threads i've seen on here in a long time. Ordinarily I wouldn't have bothered writing this but having had some really positive discussions and banter on this forum in recent weeks, I felt moved to do so.

Way too much antagonism from SOME Welsh posters pre-match. And perhaps a bit too much exuberance in response from SOME English ones.

Let's call time on the game by saying well done to the lads for an excellent game well played and in good spirit.

Chjw131

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:25 pm

Breadvan wrote:
lostinwales wrote:

Is there any? lol. Radio Wales maybe..There used to be a rugby phone in on Real radio but thats stopped. In fact, with Swansea playing at on sat at 1500, I bet there's little interest in the Scotland game..

It was the real radio one that I was thinking of. Used to listen to the sports phone in on my way home from work.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by No9 Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:14 pm

Ok, I've now watched Scrum V highlights and have even scanned through the whole game, and I stick by my thoughts, that the game was closer than the score suggested....

....however, the only reason the game was closer, was that Halfpenny kept us in it... Now before we get some silly comments, yes I knew that was the case when I was at the game. What I mean, is that there was too many silly mistakes, no leadership on the field, aimless kicking and too too many schoolboy errors. To sum it up, the Welsh team, watching it from the comfort of my arm chair, looked clueless.

England where in control and Wales could have won it, if one or two chances had gone our way, but it if we'd had own, it would have been daylight robbery.

The main difference between the way England played us and Ireland, is Hartley... Hartley's indiscipline gave Halfpenny the chances needed to keep us in the game, where as Ireland's discipline, in kickable areas was top drawer.

I know there's a lot of wum'ing going on here, and let the victors enjoyed it while they can. But I believe true fans will realise, there really isn't much between England, Ireland and Wales at the moment, and if each of the games where played again next week, I wouldn't be surprised if we had a different result.

Well done England... You deserve the Triple Crown.... Hug 

No9

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:21 pm

No9 wrote:Ok, I've now watched Scrum V highlights and have even scanned through the whole game, and I stick by my thoughts, that the game was closer than the score suggested....

....however, the only reason the game was closer, was that Halfpenny kept us in it... Now before we get some silly comments, yes I knew that was the case when I was at the game. What I mean, is that there was too many silly mistakes, no leadership on the field, aimless kicking and too too many schoolboy errors. To sum it up, the Welsh team, watching it from the comfort of my arm chair, looked clueless.

England where in control and Wales could have won it, if one or two chances had gone our way, but it if we'd had own, it would have been daylight robbery.

The main difference between the way England played us and Ireland, is Hartley... Hartley's indiscipline gave Halfpenny the chances needed to keep us in the game, where as Ireland's discipline, in kickable areas was top drawer.

I know there's a lot of wum'ing going on here, and let the victors enjoyed it while they can. But I believe true fans will realise, there really isn't much between England, Ireland and Wales at the moment, and if each of the games where played again next week, I wouldn't be surprised if we had a different result.

Good balanced analysis.We weren't as bad as we make out and they weren't as good as they make out.Small margins.

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:32 pm

I wouldn't include Wales with England & Ireland.

There's a few groups developing in the NH at certain levels with England & Ireland seeming improving game by game and Wales/France struggling to perform regularly.

1. England/Ireland
------------
3. Wales
4. France
------------
5. Scotland
6. Italy

I see decent gaps between these groups.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:39 pm

I don't think there's too much between us but England and Ireland and definately improving whilst Wake and France have stalled.

Wales' biggest problem which most have alluded to in the pat is that when plan A fails as it has against Ireland and England this year then we don't have a plan B or players capable of implementing one.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:42 pm

No9 wrote:Ok, I've now watched Scrum V highlights and have even scanned through the whole game, and I stick by my thoughts, that the game was closer than the score suggested....

agree with your analysis. am re-watching the game now as it happens.

two of england's hartley penalties were fair but harsh - the accidental offside when may knocked on from the kick as he fell over Roberts' back, and the tackle when Taulupe jumped into him.

but i agree the score could easily have been 29-3.

i dont think Wales are at the races with England and Ireland at the moment. The welsh front 5 were utterly dominated by both england and wales and warrenball needs a big shift from the front 5. fix the welsh front 5 and decide on a 9/10 combo and i would agree on any given day any of the three could win. but that's not the case right now. and improvement does seem to be more favouring england than either ireland or wales (in terms of caps, experience and intra-team combos).

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:58 pm

Excellent post and very objective mate.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-warrior Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:00 am

Sgt_Pooly wrote:I wouldn't include Wales with England & Ireland.

There's a few groups developing in the NH at certain levels with England & Ireland seeming improving game by game and Wales/France struggling to perform regularly.

1. England/Ireland
------------
3. Wales
4. France
------------
5. Scotland
6. Italy

I see decent gaps between these groups.

picard 
rainbow-warrior
rainbow-warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 17 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17  Next