The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The great gig in the sky

+12
rodders
Duty281
BlueCoverman
dyrewolfe
westisbest
TopHat24/7
Stella
Galted
TRUSSMAN66
kingraf
Rowley
ONETWOFOREVER
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

The great gig in the sky - Page 2 Empty The great gig in the sky

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Mon 10 Mar 2014, 12:28 pm

First topic message reminder :

First of all I love this song but it always reminds me of old age something I have been thinking about more often recently.

Even at 34 it feels a long way away but I am reminded of it everyday. It looks terrible to be honest. Don't get me wrong I have seen some quite content elderly people but most seem grumpy and resigned to the fact that thier story is coming to an end.

You lose your looks, you're body breaks down, friends and family pass away....wait I'm depressing myself here.

Have you given it any serious thought?

Does it scare you?

Do you really want to reach old age anyway?

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

The great gig in the sky - Page 2 Empty Re: The great gig in the sky

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Tue 11 Mar 2014, 2:27 pm

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:
ONETWOFOREVER wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:
No wonder Dave667 seems so happy..
I'm too silly to know what's going on most of the time...the rest of the time I just don't care.

I used to spend ages worrying about all kinds of stuff...like going bald....then all the worry made my hair fall out!

DAVE can you worry about getting hit by a bus next? thumbsup 

Did you protect the USA basketball team from getting hit by buses during the Olympics?

No

they traveled by coach

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 11 Mar 2014, 2:27 pm

I remember holidaying in Ireland once, being naughty and puncturing the rear tyre of a car.....

Those were the days..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Tue 11 Mar 2014, 2:30 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I remember holidaying in Ireland once, being naughty and puncturing the rear tyre of a car.....

Those were the days..

With what exactley?

sounds dirty......and disturbing.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by The Fourth Lion Wed 12 Mar 2014, 4:24 am

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:First of all I love this song but it always reminds me of old age something I have been thinking about more often recently.

Even at 34 it feels a long way away but I am reminded of it everyday. It looks terrible to be honest. Don't get me wrong I have seen some quite content elderly people but most seem grumpy and resigned to the fact that thier story is coming to an end.

You lose your looks, you're body breaks down, friends and family pass away....wait I'm depressing myself here.

Does it scare you?

I'm already there, mate, and believe me, it's nothing to worry about.  There is an alternative to getting old, but I don't think you'd want to do that.

I think we all indulge in a bit of navel gazing at some point in our lives.  It's perfectly normal.  Those who criticise you for starting this thread might not have gotten to that point yet, but they will.   Oh yes.... they will.

The good thing about getting old is that you can enjoy your life with a sense of achievement. I've not found a cure for cancer, or brought about world peace or put an end to global hunger, but I've had a fulfilling career, had the love of a wonderful woman, raised a family and seen them grow into beautiful, intelligent women, and now I can enjoy indulging my grandchildren..... or spoiling them rotten as their mother says. Now she knows what it's like to be a parent trying to control children who know how to twist grandpa round their little finger..!! What goes around, comes around.

Am I frightened of dying..?  No, I don't think so.  I've had a good knock so far and I reckon I'm good for a few more years yet.  I've still got all my own teeth and I can get around the gym two or three times a week without falling to the floor clutching my left arm.  Not bad for a daft old git.  Yes, the day will come and when it does, well, that will be that.   My old dad was in his armchair one sunny afternoon in June 1999 listening to his Danny Kaye records, when he fell asleep, and didn't wake up ever again.  I kinda reckon that's not a bad way to go.  I'd take that, but perhaps I'd prefer to be listening to something other than Danny Kaye.

As for getting grumpy, well, perhaps it's because as you get older you need less sleep and lack of sleep will make anybody grumpy.  I'd rather not be posting messages on here at stupid-o-clock, but it's better than listening to the Me'm Sahib snoring.

Oh and I love the Great Gig in the Sky too.  I remember buying the album on the day it was released.
The Fourth Lion
The Fourth Lion

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Wed 12 Mar 2014, 2:19 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I remember holidaying in Ireland once, being naughty and puncturing the rear tyre of a car.....

Those were the days..

It happened near Newcastle (Co.Down) which is in the North. SO it couldn't have been me you did that on...BUT, if you are saying it WAS me, and you are referring to Co Down as IRELAND then you must concede that Barry McGuigan is Irish and not British??  Yahoo Yahoo 
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Wed 12 Mar 2014, 2:22 pm

The Fourth Lion wrote:
ONETWOFOREVER wrote:First of all I love this song but it always reminds me of old age something I have been thinking about more often recently.

Does it scare you?

I'm already there, mate, and believe me, it's nothing to worry about.  There is an alternative to getting old, but I don't think you'd want to do that.

I think we all indulge in a bit of navel gazing at some point in our lives.  It's perfectly normal.  Those who criticise you for starting this thread might not have gotten to that point yet, but they will.   Oh yes.... they will.

The good thing about getting old is that you can enjoy your life with a sense of achievement.  I've not found a cure for cancer, or brought about world peace or put an end to global hunger, but I've had a fulfilling career, had the love of a wonderful woman, raised a family and seen them grow into beautiful, intelligent women, and now I can enjoy indulging my grandchildren..... or spoiling them rotten as their mother says.  Now she knows what it's like to be a parent trying to control children who know how to twist grandpa round their little finger..!!  What goes around, comes around.

Am I frightened of dying..?  No, I don't think so.  I've had a good knock so far and I reckon I'm good for a few more years yet.  I've still got all my own teeth and I can get around the gym two or three times a week without falling to the floor clutching my left arm.  Not bad for a daft old git.  Yes, the day will come and when it does, well, that will be that.   My old dad was in his armchair one sunny afternoon in June 1999 listening to his Danny Kaye records, when he fell asleep, and didn't wake up ever again.  I kinda reckon that's not a bad way to go.  I'd take that, but perhaps I'd prefer to be listening to something other than Danny Kaye.

As for getting grumpy, well, perhaps it's because as you get older you need less sleep and lack of sleep will make anybody grumpy.  I'd rather not be posting messages on here at stupid-o-clock, but it's better than listening to the Me'm Sahib snoring.

Oh and I love the Great Gig in the Sky too.  I remember buying the album on the day it was released.

Also why do people associate being grumpy with being old....surely we all haven't forgot what we were like as teenagers. I drove my folks bananas along with the rest of my brothers and sister. I cant ever remember NOT being grumpy.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 12 Mar 2014, 2:26 pm

Not just teenagers - toddlers/infants too!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 12 Mar 2014, 2:27 pm

I'm also not on my best form without 5 hours kip behind me.....

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Wed 12 Mar 2014, 5:37 pm

Kippers surely

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Wed 12 Mar 2014, 10:28 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3cu8sDa90Y

Believe.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by The Fourth Lion Sat 15 Mar 2014, 5:23 pm

[quote="Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn"]
The Fourth Lion wrote:

Does it scare you?

The good thing about getting old is that you can enjoy your life with a sense of achievement.  I've not found a cure for cancer, or brought about world peace or put an end to global hunger, but I've had a fulfilling career, had the love of a wonderful woman, raised a family and seen them grow into beautiful, intelligent women, and now I can enjoy indulging my grandchildren..... or spoiling them rotten as their mother says.  Now she knows what it's like to be a parent trying to control children who know how to twist grandpa round their little finger..!!  What goes around, comes around.

Also why do people associate being grumpy with being old....surely we all haven't forgot what we were like as teenagers. I drove my folks bananas along with the rest of my brothers and sister. I cant ever remember NOT being grumpy.[/quote]

I've always been quite even tempered, actually, but I have my pet hates.... irrational things that shouldn't irritate me, but do. And sometimes I just have "bad days". It's not a big deal, it's just human nature, and being a mere mortal made of flesh and blood, I am as fallible as anybody else.

We all go through stages of life and different things happening to us at different times will affect us in different ways. You either cope with them or crack under the pressure. The important thing is to learn how to sort out what is important and has to be treated seriously, and what isn't, and can be more or less ignored, and that only comes with experience.

Learning from experience can be a difficult and often frustrating thing and it is the frustration of not "getting it right first time" that causes a lot of anger.

So don't worry about being grumpy, or having people around you who are a little grumpy from time to time. It's all part of life's rich tapestry.

The Fourth Lion
The Fourth Lion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2