The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

wilder.

+9
mobilemaster8
jimdig
bhb001
AlexHuckerby
John Bloody Wayne
Strongback
hampo17
kingraf
3fingers
13 posters

Go down

wilder. Empty wilder.

Post by 3fingers Sat 15 Mar 2014, 7:21 pm

Wilder vs Malik scott tonight. Its unpalatable that after 30 fights this is considered a step up in class. However, thats the reality.

Is he the second coming of thor or is he a well managed black david price?

Malik is not a puncher. Has Wilder ever faced anyone who can punch?

Stoppage within in 4 rounds for deontay (Chisora stopped him in 6), and despite the common opponent im not sure malik is a veritable yard stick to measure against. Styles and attributes make fights.

We know chiz has a good chin, we know malik is not a puncher, we know malik can be stopped, we know deontay digs harder than chisora. Anyone looking forward to this or unsure of the outcome?

3fingers

Back to top Go down

wilder. Empty Re: wilder.

Post by kingraf Sat 15 Mar 2014, 7:37 pm

Malik is a decent HW, decent skills, rangy jab, alright footwork. Let down my a distinct chinlessness*. If he had some whiskers about him I'd say he gets a wide UD, surviving a few hairy moments. As is, he's probably on a hiding to nothing.

*Based on nothing more than the Chisora fight. If he does actually have some iron in his whiskers, wide UD for Scott
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Sat 15 Mar 2014, 7:41 pm

I wouldn't read too much in to that Chisora stoppage, yes he was down but didn't seem hurt and the ref waived it off at 9 when Scott got up...should have been up earlier but the referee could have given him the benefit of the doubt, certainly would have done if it was the other way around.

Wilder has the benefit of being very unorthodox, his punches come from angles you don't expect and they come quick. He has a killer instinct that makes him dangerous, the big question will be what happens when he gets hurt but we won't see that until he steps up to world level.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sat 15 Mar 2014, 7:49 pm

Scott looked happy enough the Chisora fight was over from my memory. I'm not sure if he has the stomach for being hit hard.

As well as not knowing about wilders chin he has never gone past 4 rounds. Scott can dance so if he is evasive for a few rounds it could get interesting.

My prediction is Wilder in under 4 rounds.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sat 15 Mar 2014, 9:21 pm

Scott was excellent only to be robbed against Glazkov, but I think his range is a big part of his ability to outbox guys. He's the stocky one in this fight against the lanky man Wilder.

Wilder by armbar. Whatever that is.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 16 Mar 2014, 4:03 am

Wilder did him in like 90 seconds... So erm... Still a hypejob or...?

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Sun 16 Mar 2014, 8:25 am

Problem is we still can't tell. He can knock over everyone in the division and still be considered a hype job because it is so bad. Only a fight with Wlad would sought this one out, but everyone will point out Wlad is chinny. Too early to fight Wlad so throw him Tyson Fury and see who is still there at the end.

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Sun 16 Mar 2014, 8:51 am

Wilder will be champ. He'll finish Fury quick. Wouldn't mind seeing him against Povetkin or Perez, both are short, stocky, with good boxing skills, I feel either will be able to slip his jab and test his whiskers with a hook.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Sun 16 Mar 2014, 8:54 am

I'd prefer to see him in with solis, stivern, arreola or thompson over fury. I dont rate fury in the SLIGHTEST.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Sun 16 Mar 2014, 8:58 am

Scott seemed to sit down. He took the straight right on the gloves, looked lucid on the ground, but didn't bother trying to beat the count.
In light of the chisora count fiasco, not surprised Scott got booed. Wilder didn't look so wild. Disciplined use of the left jab, kept his feet balanced, can't say much more than that.

The problem with wilder is that you can't see where his career is going. Do they want a wlad fight? Or a shot are the arreola v steverne winner? Fury v chisora winner? A tony Thompson type, even a Kevin Johnson type? What does he want? What does his team want? 30+ fight and we know as much as we do about Anthony Joshua.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 16 Mar 2014, 9:15 am

Wilder can bang, and he bangs hard - Worked for Foreman in a much better era... will work for Mr. Wilder
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sun 16 Mar 2014, 9:51 am

jimdig wrote:Scott seemed to sit down. He took the straight right on the gloves, looked lucid on the ground, but didn't bother trying to beat the count.
In light of the chisora count fiasco, not surprised Scott got booed. Wilder didn't look so wild. Disciplined use of the left jab, kept his feet balanced, can't say much more than that.

The problem with wilder is that you can't see where his career is going. Do they want a wlad fight? Or a shot are the arreola v steverne winner? Fury v chisora winner? A tony Thompson type, even a Kevin Johnson type? What does he want? What does his team want? 30+ fight and we know as much as we do about Anthony Joshua.

Morning Jim, after the fight Richard S said that they are already investigating venues for Wilder fighting for the WBC title against the winner of Arreola v Steverne.  

Wilder could have a strap wrapped around his waist by the end of the year.  Where does that leave Haye. I can't imagine Wilder will take on all comers.

Golden Boy are  hyping Wilder to the Sky in the States so it can't be long before they make the title fight.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sun 16 Mar 2014, 10:38 am

There is a lot of speculation around the net that Scott took a dive.  The left hook looks to have landed flush to me and we know what power Wilder has.

Adding to the speculation is that Scott winked at Wilder just before the left right combination that ended the fight.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Sun 16 Mar 2014, 10:47 am

Morning strongy. Good to hear wilder team have a plan. Would love to see him in with either arreola or steverne. Think Kevin Johnson would give him needed rounds first.

Probably should give Scott the benefit of the doubt, he took the left book clean. It just doesn't look like a KO punch. Not to mention Scott looked like he could have made some attempt to try and stand.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sun 16 Mar 2014, 11:05 am

jimdig wrote:Morning strongy. Good to hear wilder team have a plan. Would love to see him in with either arreola or steverne. Think Kevin Johnson would give him needed rounds first.

Probably should give Scott the benefit of the doubt, he took the left book clean. It just doesn't look like a KO punch. Not to mention Scott looked like he could have made some attempt to try and stand.

What you've described is the basis people are using for the dive accusation.

The Chisora stoppage was pretty similar. My feeling is Scott loses the will to continue if he gets clubbed a few times. I also think there was enough on the left hook to hurt given Wilders power.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Sun 16 Mar 2014, 12:39 pm

To be fair he looked all over the place when trying to get back up.

Wilder has freakish power in him.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Sun 16 Mar 2014, 12:40 pm

I thought that MM, looked like he tried to get up and just fell forward.

Last edited by hampo171 on Sun 16 Mar 2014, 12:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Sun 16 Mar 2014, 12:43 pm

Indeed. Even in his eyes you could see he was in a spot of bother. Either that or he is a damn good actor!!

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 16 Mar 2014, 1:09 pm

Looks a legitimate KO to me. The left hook catches the Temple, the right, while not exactly flush, finishes it. You don't dive by taking a clean hook to the temple...

Regardless, without the granite/iron chin of Vitali, I can't think there's a fighter in the division I don't give Wilder a shot at. Povetkin would be interesting, as he proved vs Wlad if nothing else, he has a heart, and isn't averse to kissing canvas.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sun 16 Mar 2014, 1:35 pm

Loved how exasperated Jim Gray got whenever he tried to ask a question and the fighters just rambled on about thanking people. He interrupted Wilder with a thinly veiled "Just answer the f***ing question."

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 16 Mar 2014, 3:48 pm

Haha, I saw that JBW, he was like "Answer the Question Deontay!" Deontay was too busy screaming "BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMBBBBBBBBBBB SQQQQQQQUUUUUUUUUUAAAAAAAADDDDDDDD!"

Wilder's power is clearly immense though you get the feeling Scott has a very poor chin. Scot didn't look like he took a dive to me, he looked like he was trying to get up but he was totally gone, don't think he saw the left hook in any way whatsoever and the right hand, although partially blocked was enough to end it.

We wanted Wilder to step up, he did, because Scott is a genuinely good boxer, though no world beater, and you can't ask for much more than that from Wilder.

Let's just enjoy the journey.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Sun 16 Mar 2014, 5:10 pm

Scott threw one punch.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 16 Mar 2014, 5:45 pm

He talked about a gameplan of frustrating Wilder and taking him into the deep waters, he was trying to keep it very rangy and awkward to be fair to him. Thought he was beating Chisora until the slightly dodgy KO, and he beat Glazkov in his last fight in my view who is a pretty decent HW.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeymax71 Sun 16 Mar 2014, 9:43 pm

Scott is only given any sort of rating because of his padded record. If he was little over weight and a perm he would be Tony Tubbs or other skilled under achieving heavies from that era.

As for Wilder I'm not getting too excited yet because he stands straight up, his punching style is too crude and is turning into a personality more than a hungry fighter.

I agree it was legit KO, albeit against a very overrated opponent.

mikeymax71

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Sun 16 Mar 2014, 10:21 pm

It's a shame that Oliver McCall is now 843 years old as he'd be the best type of fighter to test Wilder. Is there anyone who has a similar chin out there who actually punches back? (Kevin Johnson doesn't count as he seems allergic to throwing punches).

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 17 Mar 2014, 11:39 am

mikeymax71 wrote:Scott is only given any sort of rating because of his padded record. If he was little over weight and a perm he would be Tony Tubbs or other skilled under achieving heavies from that era..

Try watching Tubbs fight before making stupid comparisons......

Tubbs beat Page.......Smith...... and in many eyes including mine a prime Bowe.......He was also one of two world champions in an age when titles mattered....He was also a world amateur champion with great hand speed and footwork.....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 17 Mar 2014, 11:44 am

Mr Bounce wrote:It's a shame that Oliver McCall is now 843 years old as he'd be the best type of fighter to test Wilder. Is there anyone who has a similar chin out there who actually punches back? (Kevin Johnson doesn't count as he seems allergic to throwing punches).

Well, Ike Ibeabuchi has been released from prison today, apprently. If you're reading this, Deontay.....
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeymax71 Tue 18 Mar 2014, 3:52 am

Truss I have watched Tubbs thanks and for me Scott fits comfortably in the era of heavyweights with ability but never maximized what they had. I used Tubbs in particular due to his lack of punching power and hence why he was picked as an opponent for Wilder

Yes I appreciate he beat Smith (who didn't?) and Page (another fighter of the same ilk as Tubbs) but this an article about Wilder and therefore will leave it there

mikeymax71

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down