The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dernbach for the Lions

5 posters

Go down

Dernbach for the Lions Empty Dernbach for the Lions

Post by jbd349 Fri 20 May 2011, 7:46 pm

Dernbach has taken 5-44 for the Lions against Sri Lanka, including the two Jayawardanes and Chandimal.

Firstly, well done to Jade but secondly it is worrying that England have started picking our best players and it could have adverse effects on our promotion hopes if he and Tremlett are off for England duty at the same time or for long periods, especially if Davies or RHB get into the one-day squads.

What are your thoughts on this?

jbd349

Back to top Go down

Dernbach for the Lions Empty Re: Dernbach for the Lions

Post by Carrotdude Fri 20 May 2011, 8:48 pm

For me, when a Surrey player is selected for England it is always a cause for celebration. Yes, it may hamper our progress but it is excellent to see our players recognised and being given the opportunity to show their skills at the highest level.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Fri 20 May 2011, 8:55 pm

Theres so many seamers around at the moment for England that I can't see him getting into the squad for another 2-3 years.He's a brilliant bowler and this peformance has enhanced that but with Woakes,Broad,Tremlett,Onions,Anderson,Bresnan around it's going to be tough too get into the squad.

Last edited by Liam_Main on Fri 20 May 2011, 9:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000094431208

Back to top Go down

Post by sonic_boom10 Fri 20 May 2011, 9:50 pm

Another great performance by Jade. He's come on leaps and bounds in the last 2 years.

sonic_boom10

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri 20 May 2011, 10:24 pm

He really has come on apace - and well beyond my expectations. An interesting question is who will play first for England - Dernbach or Meaker!

I don't suppose there will ever be an England fast bowling line comprising Tremlett, Dernbach and Meaker - but it's not wholly out the question. Shocked Ironic considering how bad our bowling attack had been for several years.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Fri 20 May 2011, 10:32 pm

I think England will go with Dernbach ahead of Meaker.He's already been in the one day squad so it shows England have faith in him.

I think Dernbachs alot more accurate than Meaker also.Meaker relys alot on his pace.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri 20 May 2011, 10:36 pm

Liam - you may well be right - but Meaker's economy rate has improved markedly in the cc. And his pace sets him apart from most of the other contenders. I'm not expecting an imminent call up - but at his present rate of progress I can see him attracting a lot of interest from visiting selectors... Smile

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Fri 20 May 2011, 10:47 pm

England could do with a genuine pace bowler so the selectors could go with Meaker at some point in the next few months or so. If he pulls his economy rate down even more he'll certainly catch the eye of the selectors.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

Back to top Go down

Post by sonic_boom10 Fri 20 May 2011, 10:49 pm

In all honesty, Jade and Meaker could one day play together for England.

Jade has all the tricks, but more importantly now has more consistency.

Meaker has pure pace, which is very rare these days.

sonic_boom10

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Fri 20 May 2011, 10:55 pm

I can't see them playing together tbh I think that Broad and Woakes will lead the attack in years too come I can only see a place for one of them. If Broad develops into more of a 90 MPH bowler than I think they'll have Dernbach in the side but if that's not the case I think they could go for Meaker for genuine pace.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

Back to top Go down

Post by sonic_boom10 Fri 20 May 2011, 11:01 pm

I'm not so sure about Broad or Woakes.

Woakes thrives in English conditions, I don't think he'd to overly great on flat pitches. I'm a massive fan of Woakes might I add.

Broad is a strange one. England, IMO, persist with him as they have invested a lot in him. For my mind, he's the most likely for the drop. His supposed batting prowess is his main draw card.

sonic_boom10

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Fri 20 May 2011, 11:07 pm

England want too make Broad into the next Freddie and IMO he's heading there his pace is upping his economy is slowly but still going down. His first century will give him alot of confidence in his batting aswell. England have alot of hope in Broad hense the fact they made him T20 captain I think he'll play all forms of cricket for a long time.

Woakes lacks pace he bowls around the 80-85 mark and is another one England like for his batting. Will be interesting to see if he does bowl well overseas if he can't I think England will automatically drop him and go back too Finn.Or possilby even Dernbach.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

Back to top Go down

Post by sonic_boom10 Fri 20 May 2011, 11:15 pm

Liam_Main wrote:England want too make Broad into the next Freddie and IMO he's heading there his pace is upping his economy is slowly but still going down. His first century will give him alot of confidence in his batting aswell. England have alot of hope in Broad hense the fact they made him T20 captain I think he'll play all forms of cricket for a long time.

Woakes lacks pace he bowls around the 80-85 mark and is another one England like for his batting. Will be interesting to see if he does bowl well overseas if he can't I think England will automatically drop him and go back too Finn.Or possilby even Dernbach.
There's the problem, Woakes is clearly a better batsmen than Broad and in favorable bowling conditions, he's also the better bowler.

England have put all their eggs in one basket with Broad, which is slightly annoying

sonic_boom10

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Fri 20 May 2011, 11:25 pm

sonic_boom10 wrote:
Liam_Main wrote:England want too make Broad into the next Freddie and IMO he's heading there his pace is upping his economy is slowly but still going down. His first century will give him alot of confidence in his batting aswell. England have alot of hope in Broad hense the fact they made him T20 captain I think he'll play all forms of cricket for a long time.

There's the problem, Woakes is clearly a better batsmen than Broad and in favorable bowling conditions, he's also the better bowler.

England have put all their eggs in one basket with Broad, which is slightly annoying

Agreed that Woakes is a better batsmen than Broad but I think Broad is a much much better bowler than Woakes. Woakes is accurate but not as accurate as Broad and Broad can have bursts which can change matches in a few hours.Broad is developing into a all-round cricketer.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Fri 20 May 2011, 11:28 pm

Also how did this turn from a Dernbach and Weaker debate too a Broad/Woakes Debate? :P
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

Back to top Go down

Post by sonic_boom10 Fri 20 May 2011, 11:42 pm

Liam_Main wrote:Also how did this turn from a Dernbach and Weaker debate too a Broad/Woakes Debate? :P
Probably due to Friday night lol Yahoo

sonic_boom10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 21 May 2011, 10:14 am

he has bowled very well but i think at the moment he will most likely play one day cricket before test cricket for england

Back to top Go down

Post by jbd349 Sat 21 May 2011, 10:52 am

I think there's a good chance that Dernbach will be in the one-day squads this year, especially with Anderson and Tremlett's poor showings in the World Cup.

jbd349

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Mon 23 May 2011, 8:38 pm

4 wickets in the second innings as well, good for us that he is in form ready for our CC matches, especially as Meaker/Arafat/Tremlett are all out of action.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down