The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

If you were Khan's manager, what would be your next move ?

+12
Hammersmith harrier
mobilemaster8
milkyboy
Rowley
AlexHuckerby
Diamond in the rough
Gerry SA
bellchees
Boxtthis
TRUSSMAN66
hazharrison
Rodney
16 posters

Go down

If you were Khan's manager, what would be your next move ? Empty If you were Khan's manager, what would be your next move ?

Post by Rodney Tue 18 Mar 2014, 5:54 am

Amir Khan is not without options a marketable chap with the biggest promoters in world boxing and a division stacked with attractive spectacles. Khans sole objective is to activate the cash cow and face Mayweather, in the meantime he has to negotiate a fight to keep that goal a live one , so you're Khans manager for the day, keeping in mind the goal what would you choose ?The purses are probably poor estimates and let's say these options can be done.

Luis Collazo: £1 million purse. A decent win on the ledger, but a dangerous assignment and less marketable than others.

Robert Guerrero 1.75 million purse. A win over a former Mayweather victim , well known to US fight fans and Hispanics.

Lamont Peterson: £1 million purse; A winnable fight a shot at redemption but not one that would get the PPV buyers in the states excited for a potential Floyd fight.

Devon Alexander: 1.5 million purse : again winnable fight against a former world champion.

Kell Brook: 2.5 million purse: probably the biggest earner for Khan in the UK, very winnable but Brook holds no weight in the US and Khan takes the risk of not enhancing marketability for PPV for Floyds people.

Keith Thurman: 1.5million purse, a big statement if he wins , demand will be higher for Floyd however extremely risky and if sparked , the mega fight is over.

Cheers Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

If you were Khan's manager, what would be your next move ? Empty Re: If you were Khan's manager, what would be your next move ?

Post by hazharrison Tue 18 Mar 2014, 6:23 am

Danny Garcia.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

If you were Khan's manager, what would be your next move ? Empty Re: If you were Khan's manager, what would be your next move ?

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 18 Mar 2014, 6:27 am

Khan's profile amongst American Boxing fans is as good as it's going to get.........The fans aren't interested.......His Asian heritage doesn't help but the fact he got banged out by Garcia and lost contentiously to Petersen probably makes a win against someone like Guerrera redundant..

If Americans were going to take to the kid they'd have done it by now......

Can't see anybody demanding Mayweather-Khan whoever he beats.........Lara, GGG, Manny and Bradley yes......they'll demand Mayweather fights those..

Think after the other night he should fight Brook........There is something missing with Brook.....He reminds me of Michael Watson.........Watson had that missing something stopping him being a British great as talented as he was.......

Khan should fight in Britain............That's where his market is.......

Unfortunately he doesn't see it...........Probably because he has too many bum-lickers......

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Tue 18 Mar 2014, 6:37 am

Brook or Alexander seem like the right fights for me. I really see Khan beating Alexander. They could sell a Peterson rematch as well. Let's see how well Peterson pressures Khan without the testosterone pellets lodged in his armpits.

Garcia as well. It's a winnable fight for Khan, although one that carries a decent risk of going a similar way to last time. Garcia would just try to time him again, and he'd probably manage it over 12 rounds.

I think Collazo is a bad fight for Khan. Just the sort of guy that'll get in his face and get him flustered. I don't like Thurman for him either. He hits too hard and is too accurate.

To be honest. I'd love to see him fight any of these guys though. They're all attractive fights, and all carry the promise of a good purse.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Tue 18 Mar 2014, 6:37 am

Garcia would be another option, I doubt Showtime would give Khan a contract if the US fight fans weren't interested Truss.

Cheers Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 18 Mar 2014, 6:42 am

If the US fans were interested he wouldn't be fighting Petersen in Washington......and getting robbed !!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Tue 18 Mar 2014, 6:44 am

Brook is too much money to turn down for a very winnable fight. High risk in that if he loses his reputation over here takes a big knock but he is well capable of beating Brook and for the money on the table it's the smart choice. Also given how infrequently Floyd fights he could beat Brook and get in with another American name to be on Floyds radar again before Floyd announces his next opponent after Maidana.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 18 Mar 2014, 6:52 am

Do you know only 3,000 fans turned up for Honeyghan-Starling at Caesars Palace....and most of them were supporting the dour Starling

This turnout is for the guy who beat the world number one in Curry ...Defended his undisputed title about three times (mostly against jr welters) ..Won and lost the title back and had name recognition....

Why should anybody be interested in Khan ???????

Unless he becomes Irish or Mexican overnight forget it..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Tue 18 Mar 2014, 6:54 am

Depends on your definition of interested, is he on PPV selling out on Vegas strip ? no
Is he fighting as an Englishman on a subscription channel in the US ? Yes, would qualify as interested to me & someone who generates as much interest to the paying public as 90% of the American fighters.

Cheers Rodders

Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 18 Mar 2014, 7:01 am

Absolutely there is no names around these days........Which is Boxing's problem......

Boxing thrives when American boxers thrive.........

Like I said If he was a big star he wouldn't be fighting in Washington in front of a couple of thousand...

Interest is relative.............Obviously Maidana is more interesting........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Tue 18 Mar 2014, 8:26 am

Are these pie in the sky purses for Khan?

£1.5m for a fight against Alexander? Really? Alexander isn't a draw and can hardly sell out a phone booth...

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Diamond in the rough Tue 18 Mar 2014, 8:55 am

Guerrero or Thurman for me! Big risk but atleast if he wins then he will be deserving a shot! Peterson and brook win brings nothing IMO! He will Save the brook fight for when he loses to Floyd

Diamond in the rough

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 18 Mar 2014, 9:29 am

Why do you have to deserve a shot ??

Why not do what everyone else does.........and not deserve a shot but get one anyway...

Paul smith is getting a shot at Abraham............Last decent fighter he fought squashed him in two...

Why should Khan fight tough guys for peanuts to prove anything ??

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 18 Mar 2014, 9:33 am

slip the lad a book called "Basics of English Grammar"

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 18 Mar 2014, 9:42 am

Gerry SA wrote:Are these pie in the sky purses for Khan?

£1.5m for a fight against Alexander? Really? Alexander isn't a draw and can hardly sell out a phone booth...

I'll ignore the idiot...

Khan and Alexander both have name recognition......But 1.5 million does seem a lot for no title..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Tue 18 Mar 2014, 9:51 am

I have no idea how much a boxer gets for a purse they were simply used as a guideline to determine choice in opponent , however I can't see khan fighting anyone for less than 500k

Cheers Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 18 Mar 2014, 9:55 am

Rumours abound that Khan wants Petersen on the Mayweather undercard but it would be at WW.

Khan is in a real quandary at the minute. No doubt if he prevails against Petersen critics will cite the weight issue. If he rematches Garcia and wins, critics will say that Garcia is a suffering from the battering he took recently (as evidenced by his struggle at the weekend). Alexander doesn't get the blood pumping and is as erratic as Khan when it comes to having the right "head" on. Guerrero will be seen as hype job negated by Floyd and badly affected by being taken to the cleaners...and on and on it goes.

Personally, I think the ideal opponent for Khan is Bradley.

Bradley would given him a real test and it's a fight everyone wants to see.

Amir Khan v Bradley Pryce....oh yeah!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 18 Mar 2014, 9:55 am

Non title Rod......I'd think he'd have to Mate.......

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Tue 18 Mar 2014, 9:57 am

DAVE667 wrote:No doubt if he prevails against Petersen critics will cite the weight issue. If he rematches Garcia and wins, critics will say that Garcia is a suffering from the battering he took recently (as evidenced by his struggle at the weekend). Alexander doesn't get the blood pumping and is as erratic as Khan when it comes to having the right "head" on. Guerrero will be seen as hype job negated by Floyd and badly affected by being taken to the cleaners...and on and on it goes.

I disagree. I think if he beats any of these guys convincingly then it'll be a big deal and he'll get lots of praise. It'll put him right back on the map.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 18 Mar 2014, 9:59 am

DAVE667 wrote:Rumours abound that Khan wants Petersen on the Mayweather undercard but it would be at WW.

Khan is in a real quandary at the minute. No doubt if he prevails against Petersen critics will cite the weight issue. If he rematches Garcia and wins, critics will say that Garcia is a suffering from the battering he took recently (as evidenced by his struggle at the weekend). Alexander doesn't get the blood pumping and is as erratic as Khan when it comes to having the right "head" on. Guerrero will be seen as hype job negated by Floyd and badly affected by being taken to the cleaners...and on and on it goes.

I miss your Bradley Pryce articles....... thumbsup 

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 18 Mar 2014, 10:03 am

Boxtthis wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:No doubt if he prevails against Petersen critics will cite the weight issue. If he rematches Garcia and wins, critics will say that Garcia is a suffering from the battering he took recently (as evidenced by his struggle at the weekend). Alexander doesn't get the blood pumping and is as erratic as Khan when it comes to having the right "head" on. Guerrero will be seen as hype job negated by Floyd and badly affected by being taken to the cleaners...and on and on it goes.

I disagree. I think if he beats any of these guys convincingly then it'll be a big deal and he'll get lots of praise. It'll put him right back on the map.
I did say CRITICS would cite these factors, not those with the ability to be objective.

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 18 Mar 2014, 10:06 am

Khans a far bigger name than some American world Champions like Peter Quillen. Still fighting on undercards.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 18 Mar 2014, 10:09 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:Rumours abound that Khan wants Petersen on the Mayweather undercard but it would be at WW.

I miss your Bradley Pryce articles....... thumbsup 
I know, that's why I mention him every so often.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 18 Mar 2014, 10:30 am

andygf wrote:slip the lad a book called "Basics of English Grammar"

I meant Khan ,not Trussman.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 18 Mar 2014, 10:31 am

AlexHuckerby wrote:Khans a far bigger name than some American world Champions like Peter Quillen. Still fighting on undercards.

Not sure of your point.....

Khan has name recognition but no fan base in America........Or he wouldn't be going to washington to fight Petersen away.

As for Quillen...Not all black Americans are marketable................Duane Thomas, Jimmy Paul even US citizen Mccallum couldn't sell a bean..

One of the many..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Tue 18 Mar 2014, 11:15 am

DAVE667 wrote:
Boxtthis wrote:

I did say CRITICS would cite these factors, not those with the ability to be objective.

And I said I didn't think critics would cite those factors. Or are we talking 'critics' as in some of the delusional members of this board, and of boxing fans in general? In which case, I - and I'd imagine most sensible people - would barely even acknowledge the criticism.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 18 Mar 2014, 11:21 am

Boxtthis wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:
Boxtthis wrote:

And I said I didn't think critics would cite those factors. Or are we talking 'critics' as in some of the delusional members of this board, and of boxing fans in general? In which case, I - and I'd imagine most sensible people - would barely even acknowledge the criticism.
Yes, I meant critics in it's most negative sense.

Essentially Khan needs a fight. Doesn't have to be for a title and I'd rather it was a 10 rounder than for some spurious strap that not even Khan could get excited about winning. Just get in there with a decent opponent. Get some rounds under your belt and more importantly, show us that you've ironed out the flaws in your game to make us think that you still have a future and that we can get excited about the possibility of watching you again.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 18 Mar 2014, 11:26 am

Not sure Khan needs rounds.................After all with his chin the more rounds he has the more chance of being squashed...

What he seriously needs is a trainer who can once and for all get into his head that "entertaining" shouldn't come at the cost of winning !!

The kid outclassed Petersen until he started with the macho stuff....

He's a Grade A talent with Grade G brain.........

He's a lower weight Holyfield without the chin..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 18 Mar 2014, 11:34 am

Nope, he needs rounds to demonstrate that if he gets into trouble, he's learned how to adapt. A two round blow out doesn't help if in his next big fight he stinks the joint out after falling over at the slightest touch.

To really sell a fight with Mayweather he's got to show that he's improved defensively and tactically (not that it makes much difference to the eventual outcome) but as you say, with the relatively poor following he has in the US, he needs to showcase as many different facets of his game as possible

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 18 Mar 2014, 11:50 am

Not sure how he is going to sell a fight with Mayweather anyway whoever he fights..

Khan is as popular as he's going to get..

Mayweather sells any fight he's in.......anyway!!

People won't be paying for Maidana-Mayweather to see Maidana..

All Mayweather is interested in is how Khan sells in the UK........Obviously he's not that convinced khan is that big here..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 18 Mar 2014, 12:06 pm

Which way Khan goes depends very much what he wants to achieve. The most obvious choice amongst these is Brook, solely because in terms of risk vs reward it represents the best pay day in relation to his chances of success. However should his long term aim be Mayweather, and why shouldn’t it be, then Brook does not really advance his claims in this respect, because I can only imagine how low Kell’s profile is in the States. Would seem to be a reasonable assumption though that he ain’t likely to stop the traffic anywhere.

Of the rest Alexander and Guerrero seem to make the most sense. Both have name recognition and enough form around the top level to actually advance Khan’s claims to be facing Floyd. Thurman looks a risk and even if Khan does prevail there will be inevitable shouts that he was not all he was cracked up to be. However generally think Khan should take whoever is available as he has spent far too long out of action and needs to get things moving again.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 18 Mar 2014, 12:17 pm

Rowley wrote:Which way Khan goes depends very much what he wants to achieve. The most obvious choice amongst these is Brook, solely because in terms of risk vs reward it represents the best pay day in relation to his chances of success. However should his long term aim be Mayweather, and why shouldn’t it be, then Brook does not really advance his claims in this respect, because I can only imagine how low Kell’s profile is in the States. Would seem to be a reasonable assumption though that he ain’t likely to stop the traffic anywhere.

Of the rest Alexander and Guerrero seem to make the most sense. Both have name recognition and enough form around the top level to actually advance Khan’s claims to be facing Floyd. Thurman looks a risk and even if Khan does prevail there will be inevitable shouts that he was not all he was cracked up to be. However generally think Khan should take whoever is available as he has spent far too long out of action and needs to get things moving again.
Agreed, anything is better than his current situation

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 18 Mar 2014, 12:35 pm

I'd probably target Alexander. Still a name, but a boxer and khan usually looks good against them. He could then fight the winner of porter/brook assuming porter beats paulie and that fight is made.

Trying to avenge one of his losses would be good for his rep but carries more risk.

Bradley would be a good fight from a neutral perspective as would Guerrero.

Anyone think he could go 12 rounds with jmm without walking onto one? Or prove his 'more than held his own with manny in sparring' claim.

No shortage of viable opponents  in the medium term... Just finding one in the short term

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Tue 18 Mar 2014, 2:09 pm

Nice topic and id go with Guerrero.

A former Floyd opponent, if Khan beats him easier or stops him, then he uses that to goad Floyd into a fight whilst getting a good fee for the fight as well. Not only that, but Robert isn't a massive puncher so Khan SHOULDNT have any problems.

Peterson rematch is pointless, the guy is a drugs cheat.

Alexander is as boring as it gets in pro boxing. Was beaten and beaten well by Kotelnik/Bradley/Mathyssee....boxing politics just said no for two of those. Thankfully Porter ended that. Holds no real name in the states like Ward so not a massive seller.....

Thurman? No. Not really known as an established fighter, currently a prospect coming up fighting decent names. Maybe in two years.

Kell Brook? Are we serious with that?

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Tue 18 Mar 2014, 2:15 pm

Our favourite topic has popped up Milky, the apparent robbery in the Alexander and Matthyse fight.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 18 Mar 2014, 2:49 pm

Brook gets him the most money outside of Mayweather, when Kell beats Malignaggi or Porter then he holds the IBF title, that could easily be made for lots of money and with a title on the line it becomes a very viable option somewhere down the line in the future.

Don't worry Mobile, Kell will do this Smile

From the sounds of it from this interview it will be Guerrero or Collazzo on Floyds undercard.

Probably Collazzo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoGlQTrhYaw

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 18 Mar 2014, 3:10 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:Our favourite topic has popped up Milky, the apparent robbery in the Alexander and Matthyse fight.

On first viewing normal people couldn't see the quiet boxing lesson Alexander dished out. In years to come experts will agree that matthysse pulled off an epic illusion

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Tue 18 Mar 2014, 3:15 pm

He should fight on Mayweathers undercard which should put him in decent shape to fight Mayweather next if he wins. Mayweather would love the excuse to line up another easy 30 mil.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Tue 18 Mar 2014, 4:02 pm

Well keep him away from anyone with power is the first move you'd make, Diaz had him on queer street and was always a natural lightweight

I'd agree that Guerrero or Collazo makes the most sense, but both are risky for khan but he needs to take a risk (more than 1 imo but that's just me) if he wants to get the Mayweather fight

No fights are easy fights for Khan anymore and quite frankly unless he beat someone like Bradley he won't be deserving of the floyd fight

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by Izzi Tue 18 Mar 2014, 5:41 pm

If I was his manager?

Advise he fights Brook, big payday and after Khan gets knocked out he's forced to retire.

Or send him on a Malaysian airlines plane and do a sly Stallone in Air Force One.. Or whoever was in that for PR.

In all seriousness and with taste make him fight Prov. Beats him the world is then his oyster.

Sadly I've got more chance in knocking one out going hands free 'focus the mind look darling I can do it just by looking' than Khan fighting that guy

Izzi

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Thu 20 Mar 2014, 3:51 am

Would love to see Khan v Brook on the Floyd undercard but unlikely to happen.

I actually see him having a reasonably easy nights against Collazo, so would see that as most likely just now.

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 20 Mar 2014, 5:30 am

Maybe Khan should be seen in a compromising clinch with Miley Cyrus...that might raise his profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 20 Mar 2014, 6:16 am

Make it Billy Ray Cyrus and he'll raise it even more..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 20 Mar 2014, 7:21 am

Trust you to lower the tone

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down