The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Infamy Awaits

+7
laverfan
bogbrush
lags72
Chazfazzer
HM Murdock
Born Slippy
kingraf
11 posters

Go down

Infamy Awaits Empty Infamy Awaits

Post by Henman Bill Fri 21 Mar 2014, 2:24 am

The most infamous shots in recent tennis history, according to a combination of my opinion and how much quality banter they attracted on this forum. In keeping with the style of the forum almost all of these shots feature one of the big 4, and most of them feature two. Female players and lower ranked players will of course be ignored, this is V2 after all. I'll count down from honourable mentions at the start through to stuff of legends at the end.

20. Federer hotdog against Dabul, repeating his US Open trickshot of the year before.
19. Federer on the spin pass against Djokovic in the world tour finals, from behind himself, at something like 6-5 or 6-6 in a TB I think.
18. Rafa hitting a winner against Federer in the 2009 AO final after an amazing rally.
17. Djokovic hitting a backhand winner while releasing a roar in the 2011 US Open final, after a very long and exciting rally.
16. Djokovic clean winner pass against Federer to land the world tour finals recently (2012?). Top match point.
15. Djokovic double fault in the French Open final against Rafa - 2012. What a way to lose it.
14. Gonzalez at the Olympics vs Blake. Did the ball clip off his racket a little? Almost certainly. Did he know and yet he said nothing? Probably. (This match did not feature a big 4 player, so I must apologise for its inclusion.) Amazing match, by the way.
13. Rafa doing a hotdog lob in a Masters final against Djokovic.
12. Novak Djokovic ripping winner at 5-5 in the 5th against Andy Murray at the Australian Open semi.
11. The moment Andy Murray won Wimbledon, although the memorable shot might be the one the crowd oohed on that nearly dropped out, and the moment of celebration itself, rather than the nothing final shot.
10. Roger Federer awesome hotdog clean winner to bring up match point (which he converted) against Djokovic at the 2009 US Open.
9. Andy Roddick missed volley at 6-2 in the 2nd set tiebreak in the 2009 Wimbledon final. The one point that decided whether or not he would retire a Wimbledon champion.
8. Rafa Nadal winner down the line in the 2008 Wimbledon final in the tiebreak. Awesome shot.
7. Roger Federer backhand clean winner down the line on match point down in a Wimbledon final. One point after the above.
6. Roger Federer drop shot at the FO 2011 final, that narrowly missed, being the difference between winning and losing the first set against Rafa.
5. Rafa Nadal down the line miss that possibly cost him the AO 2012 final.
4. Novak Djokovic lost smash due to a net touch at last year's French Open semi, might have cost the match against Rafa.
3. Roger Federer inside out forehand at break point down in the 3rd set against Tommy Haas, while also 2 down in sets. 2009.
2. Novak Djokovic match point save at US Open against Roger Federer, I think in 2011, at 5-3 40-15 to Federer in the 5th set.

And finally....

Wait for it....

1. Novak Djokovic match point save at US Open again. So far ahead of any others in forum infamy that it deserves the top 2 spots. Possibly this shot has inspired more forum discussion than the rest combined. I enjoy Socal's recent post that it being deemed shot of the century was insufficient and it should be deemed greatest shot since the invention of matter (paraphrasing).

I'm sure you will agree with my selection, both in terms of the ones chosen and the precise order, and I am sure you will also all agree that I have not missed out a single shot, and this list is nothing if not entirely definitive.

Last edited by Henman Bill on Fri 21 Mar 2014, 12:45 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : corrected year on point 8)

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Infamy Awaits Empty Re: Infamy Awaits

Post by HM Murdock Fri 21 Mar 2014, 7:47 am

A tour de force of a thread! Great work, HB.

I don't think there can be any doubt in your choice of #1. Two and a half years after the event, it's still cropping up in V2 discussion.

There's only one that I would argue that you've overlooked. Andy Murray v Rafa Nadal, Wimbledon SF 2011. Andy a set up and putting pressure on Rafa's serve in the 2nd. A regulation mid court forehand but he sends it long. The wheels promptly seem to fall off Andy's game and he loses in 4. For a long time this shot was held as emblematic of Andy's mental frailty in the big matches. The appointment of Ivan Lendl came 6 months later. Was that Wimbledon match the event that triggered the search for a coach?

Last edited by HM Murdoch on Fri 21 Mar 2014, 9:13 am; edited 1 time in total

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Fri 21 Mar 2014, 8:10 am

Come on HB - let's be honest... you only gave that slap the top two spots because you couldn't find any other shot.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri 21 Mar 2014, 8:29 am

I agree, "The Slap" attracted more hysterical hyperbole than any other tennis swish in history, though it's fair to say that was because one poster more or less put himself on continuous posting duty on the matter for two years.

Just one question, on shot 15 - could you clarify which double fault at critical moment you meant? There were so many......

Excellent article, by the way.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Fri 21 Mar 2014, 8:42 am

HM Murdoch wrote:A tour de force of a thread! Great work, HB.

I don't think there can be any doubt in your choice of #1. Two and a half years after the event, it's still cropping up in V2 discussion.

There's only one that I would argue that you've overlooked. Andy Murray v Rafa Nadal, Wimbledon SF 2011. Andy a set up and putting pressure on Rafa's serve in the 2nd. A regulation mid court forehand but he sends it long. The wheels promptly seem to fall off Andy's game and he loses in 4. For an long time this shot was held as emblematic of Andy's mental frailty in the big matches. The appointment of Ivan Lendl came 6 months later. Was that Wimbledon match the event that triggered the search for a coach?

Did exactly the same thing a year later in the Wimbledon final. Set up, break point up to leave himself serving for a two set lead. Missed a sitter backhand and was never a factor in the match again. Turning it around for the Olympic and US finals must have taken incredible effort.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Fri 21 Mar 2014, 9:33 am

Another infamous shot would be US Open 09, Federer v Del Potro, 5-4 in the 2nd set, 30-30. Del Potro has a shot called out, giving Federer set point. Del Potro challenges it and Hawkeye reveals it has clipped the line. The set point is taken away from Federer and Del Potro goes on to win the 2nd on the tie breaker. Federer, who had looked serene until that point, became irritated and goes on to lose.

Bonus infamy points come from the fact that this eventually led on to Federer (justifiably) complaining about the lateness of Del Potro's challenges and telling the umpire "Don’t tell me to be quiet, okay? When I want to talk, I’ll talk. I don’t give a s*** what he said".

It's fair to say one or two posters may have had some fun with that outburst down the years!

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Fri 21 Mar 2014, 10:38 am

Good post HMM.

Yep, that USO 09 will - I have absolutely no doubt - always be seen by Federer himself as "the one that got away" (just as well perhaps that he has several others safely in the bank......)

Considering that Delpo managed to eat a whole banana, gulp down two separate energy boost drinks, change his shirt and towel himself off (ok .....I made up that very last one .....) BEFORE eventually asking for a hawkeye ruling ..... Well you can sort of understand the Fed irritation at the lateness of the challenge.

Very entertaining article HB  thumbsup

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Fri 21 Mar 2014, 10:47 am

lags72 wrote:Considering that Delpo managed to eat a whole banana, gulp down two separate energy boost drinks, change his shirt and towel himself off (ok .....I made up that very last one .....) BEFORE eventually asking for a hawkeye ruling ..... Well you can sort of understand the Fed irritation at the lateness of the challenge.
I remember the one that really wound Federer up was when JMDP and the umpire had little chat about whether it was close enough to be worth a challenge, decided it was, so JMDP requested it. Federer was almost back in his seat by the time the challenge was actually made!

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Fri 21 Mar 2014, 12:44 pm

HM Murdoch wrote:A tour de force of a thread! Great work, HB.

There's only one that I would argue that you've overlooked. Andy Murray v Rafa Nadal, Wimbledon SF 2011. Andy a set up and putting pressure on Rafa's serve in the 2nd. A regulation mid court forehand but he sends it long. The wheels promptly seem to fall off Andy's game and he loses in 4. For a long time this shot was held as emblematic of Andy's mental frailty in the big matches. The appointment of Ivan Lendl came 6 months later. Was that Wimbledon match the event that triggered the search for a coach?

Ah yes, I agree, I would have included this, had I remembered it when I wrote the thread.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Fri 21 Mar 2014, 12:47 pm

bogbrush wrote:I agree, "The Slap" attracted more hysterical hyperbole than any other tennis swish in history, though it's fair to say that was because one poster more or less put himself on continuous posting duty on the matter for two years.

Just one question, on shot 15 - could you clarify which double fault at critical moment you meant? There were so many......

yes, I supposed I should have put that it was the one match point. A bit of a personal let down for me, since I stayed the extra day and threw a perfectly good Eurostar ticket in the bin.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Fri 21 Mar 2014, 12:49 pm

HM Murdoch wrote:Another infamous shot would be US Open 09, Federer v Del Potro, 5-4 in the 2nd set, 30-30. Del Potro has a shot called out, giving Federer set point. Del Potro challenges it and Hawkeye reveals it has clipped the line. The set point is taken away from Federer and Del Potro goes on to win the 2nd on the tie breaker. Federer, who had looked serene until that point, became irritated and goes on to lose.

Bonus infamy points come from the fact that this eventually led on to Federer (justifiably) complaining about the lateness of Del Potro's challenges and telling the umpire "Don’t tell me to be quiet, okay? When I want to talk, I’ll talk. I don’t give a s*** what he said".

It's fair to say one or two posters may have had some fun with that outburst down the years!

Yes, I did think about this although didn't include it, partly because I couldn't remember the exact details, but yes now that you mentioned it would have been a good choice as well.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Chazfazzer Fri 21 Mar 2014, 7:06 pm

I remember Federer's front-facing tweener versus Tim Henman in 2006 getting a little bit of stick for being 'arrogant' (around about the 2:30 mark in this video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsC5CA9xz8Q

Also, while not really 'infamous', basically any shot from Federer in his match vs. Blake in 2006. The half-volley down the line backhand winner whilst moving backwards on break point is just insane (4:10):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WASb906o11E

Chazfazzer

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Fri 21 Mar 2014, 7:41 pm

Another potential addition, and one of the most-viewed youtube tennis clips (4.5m and counting .....)

Federer leaves Roddick shell-shocked by returning a 140mph serve straight to his feet
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RxzFlrFfUrg

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sat 22 Mar 2014, 9:16 am

Chaz, that BH was one I referred to the other day as something to remember Federer by, something that nobody else could do. Got mobbed by Haddie of course.......  Rolling Eyes 
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sat 22 Mar 2014, 1:58 pm

The missed Federer tweener at AO 2005 v Safin at MP is worth a mention. Soderling's BH OH v Federer at RG 2010 to deny the SP also comes to mind.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sat 22 Mar 2014, 9:57 pm

Any shot that gets Roger to soil himself in the post match interview and gets the NY crowd to actually boo the great man has to be great. Henman Bill this is a spectacular article, I wish I could give it 5 stars and half. Not to be a nitpicker lets remember "it is the greatest shot since the formation of matter". Since one of the fundamental rules of physics is that matter can neither be created nor destroyed your attempted quote of me would make no sense. One can not invent matter, not even the Swiss Yahweh.

I personally would rank Novak's matchpoint winner at the WTFs and his matchpoint against Stan the man much higher on the list. The matchpoint against Stan in particular was a remarkable point where admittedly Djokovic was defending the whole time till Stan made the mistake of following a weak approach shot to Novak's backhand into the net.

Last edited by socal1976 on Sat 22 Mar 2014, 10:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sat 22 Mar 2014, 10:02 pm

bogbrush wrote:I agree, "The Slap" attracted more hysterical hyperbole than any other tennis swish in history, though it's fair to say that was because one poster more or less put himself on continuous posting duty on the matter for two years.

BB as I have said before you vile capitalist nature does not allow you to enjoy the sensual and artistic beauty of the "Shot". Those of us who are more artistic in nature can appreciate it. It must be like what the first viewers of sistine chapel felt like, or what those who hear Mozart for the first time feel, or those who view Citizen Kane for the first time. Art that stands immemorial in the face of time.

Last edited by socal1976 on Sat 22 Mar 2014, 10:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Sat 22 Mar 2014, 10:10 pm

I saw Citizen Kane at the cinema many years ago (the only time I've seen it). I wasn't overwhelmed by it. I suspect it was more of its time, and is also more of a film-makers' and critics' film than a film-goer's film. A bit like SJ Perelman - other humour writers revere him, but most people prefer Benchley or Thurber.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sat 22 Mar 2014, 10:13 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:I saw Citizen Kane at the cinema many years ago (the only time I've seen it). I wasn't overwhelmed by it. I suspect it was more of its time, and is also more of a film-makers' and critics' film than a film-goer's film. A bit like SJ Perelman - other humour writers revere him, but most people prefer Benchley or Thurber.

Considering the time I liked Citizen Kane. I can't stand most of the movies of that period, Abbott Costello are pretty funny but most of the movies of that period come off stale compared to the modern. Yet, I like Citizen Kane and also Touch of Evil by Orson Welles, history's greatest fat man till David Nalbandian.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Mon 24 Mar 2014, 2:30 am

laverfan wrote:The missed Federer tweener at AO 2005 v Safin at MP is worth a mention. Soderling's BH OH v Federer at RG 2010 to deny the SP also comes to mind.

Agree on the first one and might have included it had I thought of it when I wrote the article (although was he really that likely to have won the point anyway by some other method?), no recollection of the other.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Mon 24 Mar 2014, 2:39 am

Hi Socal, glad you liked the article, I think the Warwinka match point was more of a great point than a great shot though. Whereas the match point winner against Federer was more of a great shot.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Mon 24 Mar 2014, 7:29 pm

socal1976 wrote:

BB as I have said before you vile capitalist nature does not allow you to enjoy the sensual and artistic beauty of the "Shot". Those of us who are more artistic in nature can appreciate it. It must be like what the first viewers of sistine chapel felt like, or what those who hear Mozart for the first time feel, or those who view Citizen Kane for the first time. Art that stands immemorial in the face of time.
Great Capitalism is like Mathematics, it's Art.

Management, and art appreciation by numbers, are pale imitations practised by those who can't tell the difference.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Mon 24 Mar 2014, 8:11 pm

I agree with your thread and shots but this list relates more to the importance of the occasion and not the jaw-dropping effect of the shot.

In terms of occasion Djoko's match saving return should certainly be the no.1 in this decade at the least.  thumbsup 

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Wed 26 Mar 2014, 5:50 pm

Henman Bill wrote:Hi Socal, glad you liked the article, I think the Warwinka match point was more of a great point than a great shot though. Whereas the match point winner against Federer was more of a great shot.

yes true HB the Stan shot was in the 4th round after all, but since he did go on to win the tourney that does add some historical significance. I loved the article as it brought back some fine memories. My favorite memory being fed's incredulous post match interview, as I watched that interview I must of looked like Rumplestilskin getting his baby as I danced a merry jig and gave my best Dr. Evil laugh.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down