The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brown takes the award - six nations player of the tournament

+19
rainbow-warrior
Scratch
englandglory4ever
majesticimperialman
Notch
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Cyril
GloriousEmpire
SecretFly
Pete330v2
bedfordwelsh
funnyExiledScot
nathan
No 7&1/2
GunsGerms
Allty
thomh
tigertattie
Geordie
23 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Brown takes the award - six nations player of the tournament Empty Brown takes the award - six nations player of the tournament

Post by GunsGerms Fri 21 Mar 2014, 2:56 pm

Brown, who scored four tries, beat 25 defenders and gained 543 metres for the English cause, received 34% of the public’s 68,000 votes. The rest of the top five was rounded out by Irish players with O’Driscoll [28%] and Trimble [10%] followed by Jonny Sexton and Rob Kearney. David Denton of Scotland was sixth while Danny Care of England was seventh.

Well done, great tournament.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Brown takes the award - six nations player of the tournament Empty Re: Brown takes the award - six nations player of the tournament

Post by Geordie Fri 21 Mar 2014, 3:00 pm

Obviously a lot of Irish voters.....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Brown takes the award - six nations player of the tournament Empty Re: Brown takes the award - six nations player of the tournament

Post by GunsGerms Fri 21 Mar 2014, 3:03 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:Obviously a lot of Irish voters.....

No Brown probably deserved it. Not a charity vote really.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 21 Mar 2014, 3:05 pm

Aw yeah, fair play. From an Irish PoV we lost the vote because we didn't unite behind one candidate.

Of the votes I cast I voted for Trimble the most times, with several votes for BOD and Sexton as well, but even in doing so I definitely agree that Mike Brown was the best player this year.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri 21 Mar 2014, 3:09 pm

Notch wrote:
Of the votes I cast I voted for Trimble the most times, with several votes for BOD and Sexton as well,

Isnt it one man one vote?
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Fri 21 Mar 2014, 3:11 pm

Wonder if 28% of the votes were made by Gatland?

Bit ridiculous that it was even vaguely close, he was clearly head and shoulders the most effective attacking player in the tournament and more than solid in other aspects too. First time I can remember that theres been a clear non controversial or just " he scored the most tries" winner.

To win 3 MOM awards in 5 games is some going, especially when your side lost one of those matches.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 21 Mar 2014, 3:12 pm

Nah man, it was a free for all. I was hoping someone else would get the award just so it could be illustrated what a farce the public voting system actually is.

They should have just given it to Mike Brown.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by thomh Fri 21 Mar 2014, 3:15 pm

If it hadn't been his last year then BOD wouldn't even have been mentioned. Ridiculous that he's got 28%. Sexton and Trimble had much better tournaments.

Happy for Brown. Deserves it after his performances and a lot of unfair criticism, particularly last year.

thomh

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 21 Mar 2014, 3:19 pm

thomh wrote:If it hadn't been his last year then BOD wouldn't even have been mentioned. Ridiculous that he's got 28%. Sexton and Trimble had much better tournaments.

Happy for Brown. Deserves it after his performances and a lot of unfair criticism, particularly last year.

All the stats suggest that you are wrong.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Fri 21 Mar 2014, 3:20 pm

Yeah the public vote thing is exposed here, nearly 40% of votes went to Irish players ... had "your lot" got their act together and all voted multiple times you couldve put Brown 4th or lower Wink

I think of all the dissapointments in BODs career not wining MOS will not be the one he wakes up crying about at night in his eighties. He ended by holding the cup, I think thats a fine way to go out.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by thomh Fri 21 Mar 2014, 3:21 pm

What stats? Apart from one half at home to Italy, I didn't see him do a huge amount. Certainly didn't play as well as Burrell throughout the tournament for example, and Sexton's performance vs Wales was on another level from anything BOD did. Same for O'Mahony actually.

Last edited by thomh on Fri 21 Mar 2014, 3:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

thomh

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Fri 21 Mar 2014, 3:26 pm

Congrats, Mike Brown Smile

If he keeps this up he could be up for a few more accolades in 2014.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 21 Mar 2014, 3:28 pm

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:Yeah the public vote thing is exposed here, nearly 40% of votes went to Irish players ... had "your lot" got their act together and all voted multiple times you couldve put Brown 4th or lower Wink

If it helps, in the poll that really matters I voted for Mike Brown, once, and didn't vote for anyone else.

https://www.606v2.com/t52661-official-rbs-player-of-the-championship

Mike Brown thought he was happy when he heard about the official award... wait until he hears about the 606v2 vote!
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Fri 21 Mar 2014, 3:29 pm

Cyril wrote:Congrats, Mike Brown Smile

Yes, lets not forget he has also won a Triple Crown.

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Fri 21 Mar 2014, 3:37 pm

Scratch wrote:
Cyril wrote:Congrats, Mike Brown Smile

Yes, lets not forget he has also won a Triple Crown.
Yep Bubbly 

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 21 Mar 2014, 3:37 pm

thomh wrote:What stats? Apart from one half at home to Italy, I didn't see him do a huge amount. Certainly didn't play as well as Burrell throughout the tournament for example, and Sexton's performance vs Wales was on another level from anything BOD did. Same for O'Mahony actually.

Feel your pain. Wink 

BOD is on 6Ns own official team of the tournament based on their stats...not Burrell.

There should have been a Rotten Tomatoes Player of the Tournament Award running in tandem with the real one, given the number of people who want to fixate on BOD and land one right in his eye. Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Fri 21 Mar 2014, 3:38 pm

SecretFly wrote:
thomh wrote:What stats? Apart from one half at home to Italy, I didn't see him do a huge amount. Certainly didn't play as well as Burrell throughout the tournament for example, and Sexton's performance vs Wales was on another level from anything BOD did. Same for O'Mahony actually.

Feel your pain. Wink 

BOD is on 6Ns own official team of the tournament based on their stats...not Burrell.

There should have been a Rotten Tomatoes Player of the Tournament Award running in tandem with the real one, given the number of people who want to fixate on BOD and land one right in his eye. Wink
 tomato  tomato tomato  tomato  tomato  tomato

Stick that in yer fruit salad! Wink

Last edited by Cyril on Fri 21 Mar 2014, 3:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 21 Mar 2014, 3:39 pm

Congratulations to Brown btw. You couldn't miss him ...or I mean, many players did Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Allty Fri 21 Mar 2014, 3:40 pm

Good choice and an exciting player to watch

Allty

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Fri 21 Mar 2014, 3:41 pm

Notch wrote:
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:Yeah the public vote thing is exposed here, nearly 40% of votes went to Irish players ... had "your lot" got their act together and all voted multiple times you couldve put Brown 4th or lower Wink

If it helps, in the poll that really matters I voted for Mike Brown, once, and didn't vote for anyone else.

https://www.606v2.com/t52661-official-rbs-player-of-the-championship

Mike Brown thought he was happy when he heard about the official award... wait until he hears about the 606v2 vote!

I voted for warbutton on that one to try and make the welsh look bad  Whistle 

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 21 Mar 2014, 4:32 pm

RBS six nations nominations are based on stats. Accenture have a completely different statistical analysis and they also had him as one of the players of the tournament. I reckon some people were just dying for O'Driscoll to have a poor tournament.

The reality was he didnt, he outshone his opposite number in every game he played and was outstanding. Bitter pill to swallow clearly for some.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri 21 Mar 2014, 5:32 pm

Accenture were the ones which did the nominations as well. Obviously including social media responses in the equation. Would be really interesting to see the full list of all the players and the stats involved. Know you have a chip on your shoulder over my thoughts on the bias showed to BOD Guns but in reality we don't know the full reasons over the nominations just a general over view of what was being included in them.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Fri 21 Mar 2014, 5:37 pm

GunsGerms wrote:

RBS six nations nominations are based on stats. Accenture have a completely different statistical analysis and they also had him as one of the players of the tournament. I reckon some people were just dying for O'Driscoll to have a poor tournament.

The reality was he didnt, he outshone his opposite number in every game he played and was outstanding. Bitter pill to swallow clearly for some.

blimey, is BOD your dad or something?

Everyone respects him, but how your going around this broad shouting how good BOD was all tournament and labelling anyone who disagree's as "sore losers" or "sour" is just embarrassing!

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 21 Mar 2014, 5:41 pm

Mike Brown was the right choice for me. He really has hit superb form, and has really maximised his abilities.

I thought BOD had a decent tournament, tricky to pick Ireland's MVP though. Rob Kearney was superb, as was POM. It was really a team effort through and through.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Fri 21 Mar 2014, 5:43 pm

There was no other player in contention for me, Brown all the way.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 21 Mar 2014, 5:47 pm

GunsGerms wrote:

Funnily enough I think there's an argument that Bastereud (who was rank awful for most of the tournament) was the better 13 in that last match, despite his pass drifting forwards. I think he caused D'Arcy and BOD some real problems in that game.

I'm not arguing that BOD didn't have a strong tournament, just that I wouldn't go as far as to say he "outshone" Bastereud in that last match.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Fri 21 Mar 2014, 5:53 pm

Fairly predictable Hysterical media led over reaction. I do wish people would learn to think for themselves and analyse the game a bit more thoroughly.

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri 21 Mar 2014, 5:59 pm

Notch wrote:Aw yeah, fair play. From an Irish PoV we lost the vote because we didn't unite behind one candidate.

Of the votes I cast I voted for Trimble the most times, with several votes for BOD and Sexton as well, but even in doing so I definitely agree that Mike Brown was the best player this year.

Lost the vote implies that in some way the team with the best player get a prize. Surely the aim of the vote is to pick the best candidate (managed, though closer than expected) rather than to try and "win it" for your country?
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 21 Mar 2014, 6:01 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:
Notch wrote:Aw yeah, fair play. From an Irish PoV we lost the vote because we didn't unite behind one candidate.

Lost the vote implies that in some way the team with the best player get a prize. Surely the aim of the vote is to pick the best candidate (managed, though closer than expected) rather than to try and "win it" for your country?

For me the object was to show how stupid it is to have an open vote where any one person can vote as many times as they like instead of just giving the award to the best player OK
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Fri 21 Mar 2014, 6:02 pm

Some people can't just put Country bias to one side and appreciate good players or good teams etc.

Brown was head and shoulders the best player this year, Ireland overall were the best team but it was close between them and England.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri 21 Mar 2014, 6:03 pm

GunsGerms wrote:

Did he outshine Burrell, too? I must have missed that. Edged, possibly, though I'd dispute it

He would be behind Toner, POC, Healy, Ross, Trimble, POM and Sexton for me based on this tournament alone. Which isn't to say he had a bad tournament as those others were very good indeed. But the 28% is based on sentiment.
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Fri 21 Mar 2014, 6:04 pm

If Brown hadn't won the award I'd have been furious and I'm Irish. He is a grade1 class act, could walk onto any international side in the world.

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri 21 Mar 2014, 6:05 pm

Notch wrote:
ChequeredJersey wrote:

For me the object was to show how stupid it is to have an open vote where any one person can vote as many times as they like instead of just giving the award to the best player OK

That is true. I don't see why the public get a say. Though any way of doing it is flawed, as we see with World player of the year etc.
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 21 Mar 2014, 6:15 pm

Best system; all the players vote, you can't vote for a teammate. You must pick a player (or players) from opposition teams. That is how the Pro12 Player of the Season etc. is picked.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri 21 Mar 2014, 6:17 pm

Notch wrote:Best system; all the players vote, you can't vote for a teammate. You must pick a player (or players) from opposition teams. That is how the Pro12 Player of the Season etc. is picked.

And Aviva too. It's a good system. Could just have players' player, coaches' player, Critics' player and if need be a fans' player too
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 21 Mar 2014, 6:22 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:

Possibly Chequered.... but that's purist stuff again and I just keep pointing out that purist ideals don't work in a voting system.  People vote both with their head, their heart and often their national colours draped around them too - not always but often.  

People here admitted they multi-voted.  Is that doable?  I don't vote in these things so I'm not sure.  Multi-voting though, if possible, is a lack of faith in the system and therefore loading the system so as to make sure the candidate you want gets the gong.  Hardly scientific ideals for picking a 'best' player.

I remember one year, didn't Bowe get it?  And I seem to remember people had a massive social network campaign for him.......mostly led by women who wanted to sleep with him Wink  So, there you go.  Purity goes out the window when lust is involved.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 21 Mar 2014, 6:23 pm

Hmm, I may have repeated stuff........... apologies if so.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Fri 21 Mar 2014, 6:30 pm

Mike browns approval rating in this competition is possibly comparable in accuracy to Vladimir putin's in the recent Crimean poll; I'd say.

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Fri 21 Mar 2014, 6:48 pm

GloriousEmpire wrote:Mike browns approval rating in this competition is possibly comparable in accuracy to Vladimir putin's in the recent Crimean poll; I'd say.
That's in rather poor taste (as usual). Classy Rolling Eyes 

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Fri 21 Mar 2014, 7:37 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:
Notch wrote:Best system; all the players vote, you can't vote for a teammate. You must pick a player (or players) from opposition teams. That is how the Pro12 Player of the Season etc. is picked.

And Aviva too. It's a good system. Could just have players' player, coaches' player, Critics' player and if need be a fans' player too

Yeah but it would be far too tempting to take the urine, like France picking Alex Goode or something.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Exiledinborders Fri 21 Mar 2014, 8:22 pm

GunsGerms wrote:

He had a good tournament but to say he outshone Burrell is just ridiculous.

Last edited by Exiledinborders on Sat 22 Mar 2014, 1:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

Exiledinborders

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 21 Mar 2014, 8:40 pm

They'd hopefully treat it with respect.

Am I the only one who recognises the nominations are just all MoM winners throughout the tournament? Seemed fairly obvious to me.

Mike brown v Israel folau world cup 2015. Buying my tickets this summer.

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 21 Mar 2014, 9:42 pm

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:
ChequeredJersey wrote:

Yeah but it would be far too tempting to take the urine, like France picking Alex Goode or something.

It couldn't be more tempting to take the urine than the current system! Which I say as the urine taker in chief.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Fri 21 Mar 2014, 9:54 pm

Mike Brown certainly the right man for the award to be honest.

I really could not see how it could of gone to any other player.

Well played to Mike Brown.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 21 Mar 2014, 10:20 pm

Happy for Brown, he clearly stood out, it would have been a farce if BOD won and would only cheapen it as a sympathy award

Back to top Go down

Post by englandglory4ever Fri 21 Mar 2014, 10:40 pm

Well done Mike Brown. Played consistently at a high level. Close runners up were Danny Care, Owen Farrell and Chris Robshaw.

englandglory4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Sat 22 Mar 2014, 2:27 am

englandglory4ever wrote:Well done Mike Brown. Played consistently at a high level. Close runners up were Danny Care, Owen Farrell and Chris Robshaw.

You forgot Fran Cotton and Bill Beaumont.

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-warrior Sat 22 Mar 2014, 3:25 am

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:Wonder if 28% of the votes were made by Gatland?

Bit ridiculous that it was even vaguely close, he was clearly head and shoulders the most effective attacking player in the tournament and more than solid in other aspects too. First time I can remember that theres been a clear non controversial or just " he scored the most tries" winner.

To win 3 MOM awards in 5 games is some going, especially when your side lost one of those matches.

......and you were only runners up. Arrogance at its english best.
rainbow-warrior
rainbow-warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sat 22 Mar 2014, 7:10 am

rainbow-warrior wrote:
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:Wonder if 28% of the votes were made by Gatland?

......and you were only runners up.  Arrogance at its english best.

I think you need to go over PSW's post but this time using logic
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Sat 22 Mar 2014, 10:55 am

I think that rainbow-warrior is Bungle in camo dress
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next