The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How big can British boxing get in next 2-3 years?

+2
TRUSSMAN66
Seanusarrilius
6 posters

Go down

How big can British boxing get in next 2-3 years? Empty How big can British boxing get in next 2-3 years?

Post by Seanusarrilius Fri 04 Apr 2014, 2:37 pm

Groves v Froch II - 60-80,000 at Wembley. HBO showing it over here (North America). Buffer to annouce. This is a big fight, and they aren't even the best two Super Middleweights in the division. Whatever you want to say about boxing being a fringe sport in this and most countries, this fight shows us that boxing can still be huge.

With this in mind, I got to wondering how big British boxing will become in the next two to three years, especially on the world stage?
I look to three up and coming talents:

Anthony Joshua
Luke Campbell
Callum Smith

All of these fighters have certain attributes that point to potential world title belts. Of the three, I see Joshua as the one that can help us top this Groves v Froch extravaganza. I say Joshua, because he is a heavy, and heavies can sell like no other, if marketed properly.

If these guys come through, Britain could be a huge on the world stage. Where do you see British boxing in 2/3 years, and boxing in general?

I think we are keeping our end up in Britain, hopefully the Americans will start doing a bit more on their end, because other than the New York Goldenboy cards and the two Pac and Floyd fights a year, they are not.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

How big can British boxing get in next 2-3 years? Empty Re: How big can British boxing get in next 2-3 years?

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 04 Apr 2014, 2:45 pm

Groves v Froch is a one off..............It's a huge rematch between two fierce British names...Mainly because of a great first fight with a controversial finish

Why would an American be interested in Callum Smith or Luke Campbell....

Joshua is interesting and like Lewis before him will go to America once he's become Heavyweight king........A good heavy champ always resonates..

I see British boxing exactly where it is now in 3 years....

Frampton may connect as he's Irish in him............

But don't get your hopes up..........

No one gave a turd about Benn or Eubank back home so why would Campbell types be interesting..

Joshua and Frampton............The rest needn't apply..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

How big can British boxing get in next 2-3 years? Empty Re: How big can British boxing get in next 2-3 years?

Post by Rowley Fri 04 Apr 2014, 2:46 pm

There is massive potential there Sean and as Groves Froch proves the audience is there. What could scupper it is what always scuppers things in boxing and that is the unwillingness of rival promoters to work with each other. If we look beyond Froch Groves to what looks the most natural of fights domestically it is Frampton Quigg, but between them having rival promoters and TV commitments this one looks no more likely than it ever did.

Look further forward and in a couple of years one would hope Joshua would be looking to get in with guys like Fury and Chisora, but unless their TV commitments change pretty radically between now you struggle to see those ones happening.

There are enough belts out there now for fighters to forge a career without facing their domestic rivals but would be a great shame if that was to happen, nothing gets this place buzzing like a massive fight on these shores and would guess most of us of a certain age got into the sport through the likes of Benn and Eubank and their great fights/rivalries.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 04 Apr 2014, 2:49 pm

Quigg - Frampton is a problem.................Mcguigan has a golden goose and knows once he gets a title that Frampton can sell out in Belfast whoever he fights !!

I imagine that makes Quigg unlikely unless he starts looking crap..

Mcguigan reckoned he was badly managed being chucked in with an average talent like Cruz ...In 100 degrees or not.......Which isn't very encouraging !!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Fri 04 Apr 2014, 3:18 pm

Good points fellas. Truss, I see what you mean about Campbell and SMith, but if Joshua did go on to be a lineal champ at heavy (just an if, I know), we might see a ripple effect with other British stars, especially if they are on big Joshua cards.

Also, if Campbell goes on to be the best in his division, why wouldn't America care? He's marketable.

Last edited by Seanusarrilius on Fri 04 Apr 2014, 3:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 04 Apr 2014, 3:23 pm

America didn't care about Honey and he was lineal..........

Honey and the never marketable Starling sold just 2,100 tickets at Caesars for a much anticipated grudge fight.....

Hatton may have sold due to being hugely exciting..

Will say an alphabet alone will be enough for Anthony..........He is hugely appealing and in the blue riband division..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Fri 04 Apr 2014, 3:32 pm

Bar Floyd and Manny who do the Americans care about Truss. The fans in the States seem to be more UFC or wrestling fans these days, quality operators like Bradley, Ward Crawford etc couldn't sell out the equivalent of York hall. The fans boo after 30 seconds if fighters aren't going hell for leather. Cheers Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Fri 04 Apr 2014, 3:39 pm

I have to say that Rodney has a point. America really is poor at promoting fighters and building events. Vegas for Pac and Floyd seems about it. Showtime are really working hard at getting events to be exciting, I will say that. They put on triple headers and offer cheaper seating to fill arenas. Showtime are investing a lot with Goldenboy to bring boxing back in places like New York. HBO on the other hand, deary me. Awful commentary, so biased. Same old approach to the sport and Jim Lampley's Fight Game is poor. Maybe the problem is the size of the country? Easier to whip a nation into a frenzy in Britain than it is in the USA? I don't know.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 04 Apr 2014, 3:42 pm

Rodney wrote:Bar Floyd and Manny who do the Americans care about Truss. The fans in the States seem to be more UFC or wrestling fans these days, quality operators like Bradley, Ward Crawford etc couldn't sell out the equivalent of York hall. The fans boo after 30 seconds if fighters aren't going hell for leather.  Cheers Rodders

I agree Roddy.....However they would care more about Crawford than Campbell.....

Politics and the variety of belts has harmed the sport probably beyond repair.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 04 Apr 2014, 3:50 pm

And also American Football taking all the best big athletes, meaning America hasn't had an exciting hope in the 'blue ribband' division in a decade or more.

Sure if they had a HW Ward interest would perk up.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Fri 04 Apr 2014, 3:51 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
Rodney wrote:Bar Floyd and Manny who do the Americans care about Truss. The fans in the States seem to be more UFC or wrestling fans these days, quality operators like Bradley, Ward Crawford etc couldn't sell out the equivalent of York hall. The fans boo after 30 seconds if fighters aren't going hell for leather.  Cheers Rodders

I agree Roddy.....However they would care more about Crawford than Campbell.....

Politics and the variety of belts has harmed the sport probably beyond repair.

Arum is going to promote until he dies. So when he is no longer promoting, things might get a little better stateside. Warren is going to promote until Boxnatin sinks or SKY take him back (unlikely), so who knows what happens there. The sad thing about Warren now is that his stable is so small and exposure so poor, his fighters are really going to suffer for fighting bum fight after bum fight. Look at Frankie Gavin (who for some reason has just reinked with Warren), our only ever World Champ at amatuer level and his exposure is non-existent. His talent will suffer for lack of progression, too. Already is.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 04 Apr 2014, 3:55 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:And also American Football taking all the best big athletes, meaning America hasn't had an exciting hope in the 'blue ribband' division in a decade or more.

Heavyweight division has always been an important one........Usually when the heavy division is thriving it brings the rest of the sport with it...

I am biased but I do think having an exciting American or failing that dominant British heavyweight to aim for would help the sport.....

Unfortunately Wilder/Fury are no Tyson/Holy/Lewis.......

Joshua looks like the best hope..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Fri 04 Apr 2014, 3:59 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:And also American Football taking all the best big athletes, meaning America hasn't had an exciting hope in the 'blue ribband' division in a decade or more.

Heavyweight division has always been an important one........Usually  when the heavy division is thriving it brings the rest of the sport with it...

I am biased but I do think having an exciting American or failing that dominant British heavyweight to aim for would help the sport.....

Unfortunately Wilder/Fury are no Tyson/Holy/Lewis.......

Joshua looks like the best hope..

Wilder and Fury will be exposed as soon as they step up. Agree, Joshua looks best hope.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveVDK Fri 04 Apr 2014, 4:30 pm

Surprised theres been no mention of Bradley Saunders on here, very strong lad and a standout amateur, got a certain nastiness too him as well which goes a long way as far as marketability..
As much as I like to see a local lad too well I feel Cambell may lack strength if and when he competes at the highest level, Joshua looks the part but we won't really know till he mixes it with stronger opposition.

DaveVDK

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 04 Apr 2014, 6:13 pm

If people continue to consider Tyson Fury to be the flag bearer for British boxing then we're f####d.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down