The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Munster v Toulouse 1/4 Final HC

+26
Thomond
profitius
Notch
BlueMuff
Hookisms and Hyperbole
GunsGerms
PenfroPete
The Saint
GLove39
ME-109
stub
Feckless Rogue
Pal Joey
VinceWLB
LeinsterFan4life
nathan
whocares
kunu
wolfball
TJ
Golden
Rory_Gallagher
rodders
Portnoy's Complaint
SecretFly
Nachos Jones
30 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Munster v Toulouse 1/4 Final HC - Page 4 Empty Munster v Toulouse 1/4 Final HC

Post by Nachos Jones Sat 5 Apr - 12:29

First topic message reminder :

So with about an hour to go and no thread, I thought I would make one. Come on Munster

Munster: F Jones; K Earls, C Laulala, J Downey, S Zebo, I Keatley, C Murray, D Kilcoyne, D Varley, BJ Botha, D Foley, P O'Connell, P O'Mahony (capt), T O'Donnell, J Coughlan.

Replacements: D Casey, J Ryan, A Cotter, D O'Callaghan, CJ Stander, D Williams, JJ Hanrahan, G van den Heever.

Toulouse: M Médard; Y Huget, F Fritz, G Fickou, H Gear; L Beauxis, J Vermaak; G Steenkamp, C Tolofua, Y Montes, Y Maestri, P Albacete (c), Y Camara, J Tekori, L Picamoles

Replacements: J Bregvadze, C Baille, S Ferreira, R Millo-Chluski, G Galan, J-M Doussain, L McAlister, Poitrenaud.

Just read from whocares that there have been some last minute changes to the Toulouse line up with McAlister now starting and Nyanga not making the bench...

Nachos Jones

Back to top Go down

Munster v Toulouse 1/4 Final HC - Page 4 Empty Re: Munster v Toulouse 1/4 Final HC

Post by SecretFly Sat 5 Apr - 22:17

Looking at them too (the highlights).  Murray did seem on total fire.  And seeing Paulie storm over, driving the defender to his left back into the ground as he did so.  A thing of beauty from old Paulie boy.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Munster v Toulouse 1/4 Final HC - Page 4 Empty Re: Munster v Toulouse 1/4 Final HC

Post by BlueMuff Sat 5 Apr - 22:18

Dod Murray was superb made 4 of the tries, kicked brilliantly and was superb in defence he is the complete scrum half!

What is now clear is that we didn't play our natural game last week in fact I'd say we threw it by not going to the corner to use our most potent weapon.

BlueMuff

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Sat 5 Apr - 22:26

BlueMuff wrote:Dod Murray was superb made 4 of the tries, kicked brilliantly and was superb in defence he is the complete scrum half!

What is now clear is that we didn't play our natural game last week in fact I'd say we threw it by not going to the corner to use our most potent weapon.

I still think Rolland rode us a little last week. However it was like looking at two different teams.

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Sun 6 Apr - 1:00

Clinical win from Munster. Hopefully some of the injured players will be back for the semi.

Best part of the match was how Munster were playing near the end with their best backline on.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Sun 6 Apr - 10:37

The step up in intensity from last week was pretty noticable. Munster cleaned out rucks at savage pace yesterday, some good interplay from backs and forwards. That's what Penney's style is about. Some nice tries, poor enough defending at times but it happens. Stander was immense goes in part to explaining why some fans have wanted him to get more game time. I also have no idea why they bothered signing Copeland.

Nice try from Zebo (poor defending but he took it extremely well) and always nice to see Paulie go over. Here's hoping Leinster win today. I would be bricking heading over to Toulon, we can take the other crowd.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Sun 6 Apr - 10:56

Thomond wrote:The step up in intensity from last week was pretty noticable. Munster cleaned out rucks at savage pace yesterday, some good interplay from backs and forwards. That's what Penney's style is about. Some nice tries, poor enough defending at times but it happens. Stander was immense goes in part to explaining why some fans have wanted him to get more game time. I also have no idea why they bothered signing Copeland.

Copeland is a hell of a player, he was head and shoulder above anyone else on the field when the Blues played Toulon away.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueMuff Sun 6 Apr - 11:14

VinceWLB wrote:
Thomond wrote:The step up in intensity from last week was pretty noticable. Munster cleaned out rucks at savage pace yesterday, some good interplay from backs and forwards. That's what Penney's style is about. Some nice tries, poor enough defending at times but it happens. Stander was immense goes in part to explaining why some fans have wanted him to get more game time. I also have no idea why they bothered signing Copeland.

Copeland is a hell of a player, he was head and shoulder above anyone else on the field when the Blues played Toulon away.

I have been saying that I would love to see him get a run of games with the first team! He brings huge power and pace does not have the intensity as Pom though! Going to be some competition for places next year when copeland comes

BlueMuff

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Sun 6 Apr - 13:06

He will have to take the jersey from Coughlan...I dont expect him to give it up too easily.

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun 6 Apr - 14:39

Surely Munster should do the sensible thing and without exception rest their first XV for the game against Glasgow this week? Have to be box-fresh for the next round of the Heiney? I'm only thinking about you guys.

Whistle
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by KiaRose Sun 6 Apr - 17:40

Just had a great weekend in Ireland. Flew to Dublin, train to Limerick - why don't CIE tell us they are putting on a Rugby Special? Lovely stroll through Limerick to TP. This trip was a birthday present for a friend - the only thing I couldn't guarantee was the result, but, thank you Munster for doing that and making it absolutely the perfect birthday present.
Train back to Dublin, fly back to England last night - fairly shattered today.

I haven't watched the recording of the game yet, and as I was in the far corner of TP, may well have missed some of the detail.

The things I liked
(1) the defensive line speed. That was so effective especially in the first half; there was a point in the 2nd half where it slowed down a bit and hey ho, Gear scored. But the team refocussed.

(2) Connor Murray - surely the most complete scrum half for some time in Ireland. He was a "promising" SH when he first started playing with a good pass, but inclined to take a few steps (which to be fair, a lot of good SHs do). However, of all the players who went on the Lions tour last year, I would say that he derived the most benefit from working with a different coach in a different set-up and he was clever enouigh to take full advantage of what was offered to him. With the exception of his first breakaway from the maul when he failed to score, he was nigh on perfect yesterday (ok, someone is going to point out the mistakes he made - but he was blydi good all game)

(3) John Ryan - came on when Killer was YC'd. I will accept any correction on this, but wasn't he playing club rugby a few months ago, and first played for Munster team at Christmas? To be added to the HEC squad and then to come on against Toulouse in such an important game and play his part in Munster getting a penalty immediately after he came on - chapeau Mr Ryan. Lovely little vignette after that scrum, everyone seemed to be saying well done to BJ, but Paulie went over to Ryan and gave him a little pat on the back - nice one Paulie.

(4) The rolling maul - always has been a speciality of Munster's play; didn't use it at all last week, I think (but I didn't see all of last week's game). Used it so effectively yesterday; Toulouse had no answer to it.

(5) POC scoring - we've waited a long time for one from him in the HEC (not since 2009). I know we didn't need it, but hey, it was the icing on the cake.

(6) The crowd - atmosphere was magic, pure magic. I read some comments above about the crowd "jeering". Personally, I recall no jeering. This is mis-interpretation of crowd noise. When your team put up a high kick and the opposition player gets ready to catch, the crowd make a long loud "oooooooo" sound to put them off. Honest, it's not booing; it's a variation on "heeeeeeeeeeave" when your team has a rolling maul going.

(7) We didn't miss POM. When he went off, I don't think anyone expected to be able to say that - but the birthday boy delivered, big time. CJ is a very different style of BR player to POM and yesterday Munster adjusted very well to the swap.

(8) I cannot leave this without paying tribute to the Toulouse fans. It must have been a heck of a long way home when you have lost. But they were as gracious as opposition rugby fans always are. Back in Dublin, I saw quite a few carrying souvenir Munster flags.

And ninthly, of the things I like - the scoreline. 47-23. I did not for a moment think we would (a) score twice as many points as Toulouse or (b) score three times as many tries, especially when you look at their backs line-up.

KiaRose

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Sun 6 Apr - 17:52

VinceWLB wrote:

He is a great player but we have no need for him, with the backrow options we have already. It will hurt the development of one or two of their younger guys who showed some promise.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sun 6 Apr - 18:16

Yours to lose now Munster! Come on lads.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Sun 6 Apr - 18:38

C'mon Munster! Uts up to you now.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueMuff Sun 6 Apr - 19:04

Roll on Marseilles -an invasion is coming and the red army are on the move c'mon Munster #suaf

BlueMuff

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Sun 6 Apr - 20:30

Notch wrote:Today was my granddads 90th birthday so I spent the vast majority of the day celebrating with my family and didn't get to see either of the other games.

So I went to check the score lines... wow! What a tremendous game from Munster  clap 

Looking forward to watching the recording.

Cheers Notch...happy birthday to your Granddad....90 is some age....hard luck yesterday...stirring stuff though.

Wonder where Rodders is. Yesterday he was calling us Donkeys now it appears he is saying he was thinking Munster are going to do it this year....

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Sun 6 Apr - 22:25

BlueMuff wrote:Roll on Marseilles -an invasion is coming and the red army are on the move c'mon Munster #suaf

Cork to Nice and about a two hour train then. 400 for flights direct from aerlingus at the moment. If you're willing to get in to France late Saturday night and stopping in London, would run you about 300. Anyone looking to head over might be worth looking at this: http://www.skyscanner.ie/transport/flights/ork/nce/140426/140428/airfares-from-cork-to-nice-in-april-2014.html?rtn=1

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Sun 6 Apr - 22:27

Cork - Nice were about €300 before the end of todays game...probably were creeping up throughout the 80 mins

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Sun 6 Apr - 23:04

ME-109 wrote:
Wonder where Rodders is. Yesterday he was calling us Donkeys now it appears he is saying he was thinking Munster are going to do it this year....

Every donkey has his day thumbsup 
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Sun 6 Apr - 23:20

rodders wrote:
ME-109 wrote:

Every donkey has his day thumbsup 

That is a good Mantra for you Rodders...  zen 

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by KiaRose Sun 6 Apr - 23:52

ME-109 wrote:Cork - Nice were about €300 before the end of todays game...probably were creeping up throughout the 80 mins

Have a look at flying from a UK airport. Can you get over here cheaply?

Also this site is very good for looking at ALL forms of transport (trains and boats and planes ...)

http://www.rome2rio.com/

KiaRose

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueMuff Mon 7 Apr - 9:34

I think this weekend proves that Leinster second choice back rows are not better than TOD and Coughlan (both superb dominated a Monster Toulouse back row).

Kilcoyne has now demolished Leinster and Toulouse in consequtive weeks.

Lastly Zebo confirmed he is one of the best finishers in world rugby. Also his pass to Earls for the first try was sublime.

BlueMuff

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Mon 7 Apr - 9:39

worth mentionning that Marseilles is "only" 3h20 minutes from Paris by Train so might be another travelling option.

also was Casey cited for alleged stamping ? (I dont recall anything appart from Fritz complaints so probably means no)

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Mon 7 Apr - 11:14

BlueMuff wrote:I think this weekend proves that Leinster second choice back rows are not better than TOD and Coughlan (both superb dominated a Monster Toulouse back row).

Lastly Zebo confirmed he is one of the best finishers in world rugby. Also his pass to Earls for the first try was sublime.

Calm down...

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunky Norwich Mon 7 Apr - 11:36

Well done Munster. Epic performance against a squad as good as Toulouse fair play.

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Mon 7 Apr - 12:03

whocares wrote:worth mentionning that Marseilles is "only" 3h20 minutes from Paris by Train so might be another travelling option.

also was Casey cited for alleged stamping ? (I dont recall anything appart from Fritz complaints  so probably means no)

There was some complaints about a punch but I dont think there was ever anything (at least nothing obvious)

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by MunsterMac Mon 7 Apr - 12:17

What a day! Only coming back down to the real world this morning.

Have to say the Toulouse supporters were great including my wife's sister and brother-in-Law over from Beaupuy.

They had a great day and the stadium, entertainment, facilities, athmoshere etc blew their minds.

And the weather held up!

MunsterMac

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Mon 7 Apr - 12:57

It is a beautiful day....

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Mon 7 Apr - 13:03

KiaRose wrote:
ME-109 wrote:Cork - Nice were about €300 before the end of todays game...probably were creeping up throughout the 80 mins

Have a look at flying from a UK airport.  Can you get over here cheaply?

Also this site is very good for looking at ALL forms of transport (trains and boats and planes ...)

http://www.rome2rio.com/

Kia...thanks that is a great site (never knew of it before). I am in negotiations with regards to going so will check out how I can get there as quickly and efficiently as possible. I think its definitely going to be a case of planes, trains, ferries and automobiles....

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Mon 7 Apr - 13:05

Watched this game with some Toulouse supporters they all agreed no teams in Europe would have come close to beat this Munster team!
Scary thing is Munster were missing the likes of Ryan, Sherry, Cronin and Archer in the pack.

You can do it!

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Mon 7 Apr - 20:19

Casey LLL has a broken bone in his hand and he and POM are seeing specialists tomorrow

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Mon 7 Apr - 20:29

BlueMuff wrote:I think this weekend proves that Leinster second choice back rows are not better than TOD and Coughlan (both superb dominated a Monster Toulouse back row).

Actually TOD didn't have a good game at all, to be honest. Whereas Ruddock (with a fit O'Brien, debatable as to whether he is first choice) had an excellent game for Leinster.

As for Zebo.. should you not wait until he does it against the top teams?  Rolling Eyes 

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueMuff Mon 7 Apr - 20:38

Rory_Gallagher wrote:

Actually TOD didn't have a good game at all, to be honest.  Whereas Ruddock (with a fit O'Brien, debatable as to whether he is first choice) had an excellent game for Leinster.

As for Zebo.. should you not wait until he does it against the top teams?  Rolling Eyes 

Ha your saying Toulouse is not a top team did you look at the team sheet biggest budget in world rugby. And Tod had a solid game we dominated the breakdown largely down to him

BlueMuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Mon 7 Apr - 20:45

Toulouse are still a long way off New Zealand, South Africa and Australia.. and the S15 teams in general.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Mon 7 Apr - 20:56

BlueMuff wrote:
Rory_Gallagher wrote:

Actually TOD didn't have a good game at all, to be honest.  Whereas Ruddock (with a fit O'Brien, debatable as to whether he is first choice) had an excellent game for Leinster.

Ha your saying Toulouse is not a top team did you look at the team sheet biggest budget in world rugby. And Tod had a solid game we dominated the breakdown largely down to him
Tbf Toulouse were missing Nyanga and Dusatouir. They had a 19 year old Camera starting in the back row who actually was probably Toulouse's best player on the day to be honest.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueMuff Mon 7 Apr - 22:21

LeinsterFan4life wrote:
BlueMuff wrote:
Rory_Gallagher wrote:

Tbf Toulouse were missing Nyanga and Dusatouir. They had a 19 year old Camera starting in the back row who actually was probably Toulouse's best player on the day to be honest.

Do I need to name the players Toulon were missing? Toulouse resting 3 players plus the injured players you mention pushed Toulon 31 28 in Toulon. They couldn't be that bad to do that....

BlueMuff

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Mon 7 Apr - 22:34

BlueMuff wrote:
LeinsterFan4life wrote:
BlueMuff wrote:
Rory_Gallagher wrote:

Do I need to name the players Toulon were missing? Toulouse resting 3 players plus the injured players you mention pushed Toulon 31 28 in Toulon. They couldn't be that bad to do that....
I'm not saying they didn't play well. Munster were outstanding and I want them to win the HC this year. Your original point was that Munster dominated the back row and they did but all I'm saying is it wasn't their first choice back row.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Mon 7 Apr - 23:04

To be fair, Toulon- Toulouse game was quite good and had its moment but the intensity was nowhere close to last weekend QFs. I feel that Toulouse didnt step up to the occasion and got trampled. Similarly Leinster looked a bit ordinary and I did not find in them the killer instinct they used to show at this stage of the HC.
Man, Toulon-Munster is going to be some game...one for the purists and whoever win that is gonna win the whole thing I feel

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Mon 7 Apr - 23:05

Tekori , Picamoles and Camara on paper and in terms of their status are close enough (yer man Camara is one to watch for the future will be some player). Anyhow the back row did their jobs well. Coughlan basically man marked Picamoles and limited him and left TOD to patrol across midfield (when he is missing our defence suffers because of his speed - note Gears try when he went off due to the YC to Killer) and Stander did a great job in the tight. Without any ball winner Toulouse suffered and we won 100% of rucks and protected the ball excellently. Will need that against Toulon (and would prefer POM given the way Armitage is playing).

Zebo (and Earls) had very good games and were up against two operators in Gear and Huget, yet again as with the lesser teams that seemed to affect peoples views Zebo stats were very good and well just look at the game ffs.

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Mon 7 Apr - 23:11

whocares wrote:To be fair, Toulon- Toulouse game was quite good and had its moment but the intensity was nowhere close to last weekend QFs. I feel that Toulouse didnt step up to the occasion and got trampled. Similarly Leinster looked a bit ordinary and I did not find in them the killer instinct they used to show at this stage of the HC.
Man, Toulon-Munster is going to be some game...one for the purists and whoever win that is gonna win the whole thing I feel

Munster "owe" Toulon for being the team that stopped us making the QFs in 2011 (we always need some excuse to get all annoyed)...I reckon there will be a big Munster crowd over for it. The feeling last year was we fell just short against Clermont and if we had beaten them I think we would have taken Toulon in the final. They seem to be a different animal this year though

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Mon 7 Apr - 23:46

Ah yeah I remember the 2011 pool stages now where Munster were sort of taken by surprise. Toulon team was poor compared to now (back then they had rory lamont on the bench, now it's habana. mind you Munster still probably had Tony Buckley). And PSA was the coach as well!

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by MunsterMac Tue 8 Apr - 9:38

Toulouse are still a long way off New Zealand, South Africa and Australia..

A full strength Toulouse would beat a full strength Australia and probably most S15 teams.

They're not having a good season and probably need a new coaching setup at this stage but on paper they are a top side that on their day could beat any team in the world bar possibly NZ.

MunsterMac

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 8 Apr - 10:21

Credit where its due - Munster were awesome against Toulouse, ok it wasn't the best Toulouse side we've seen but to perform like that in a HEC QF and get that score line is an exceptional result.

Am I right in saying that this is the same SF line up as last year? I think we are looking at the European elite here and Munster have earned their place there.

As disappointing as it is for Ulster and Leinster to go out we should all get fully behind this Munster side who have every chance to stop the big spending super clubs getting a stranglehold on this tournament.

If O'Connell continues to play as he is then everything is possible.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueMuff Tue 8 Apr - 12:12

rodders wrote:Credit where its due - Munster were awesome against Toulouse, ok it wasn't the best Toulouse side we've seen but to perform like that in a HEC QF and get that score line is an exceptional result.

Am I right in saying that this is the same SF line up  as last year? I think we are looking at the European elite here and Munster have earned their place there.

As disappointing as it is for Ulster and Leinster to go out we should all get fully behind this Munster side who have every chance to stop the big spending super clubs getting a stranglehold on this tournament.

If O'Connell continues to play as he is then everything is possible.

Thats right Rodders same 4 teams. Dont you just love April and May some huge games coming up, Munster Ulster, Ulster Leinster, Rabo semi finals possibly another Leinster Ulster match (would love to see that at the new Ravenhill), the Rabo final and HC.

BlueMuff

Back to top Go down

Post by MunsterMac Tue 8 Apr - 12:26

It would be nice for Munster to get a bit of luck with the S/F draw one of these years though.

I think the last time we got a home semi against a non-Irish team was against Wasps in that wonder match in 2004.

MunsterMac

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 8 Apr - 13:16

MunsterMac wrote:It would be nice for Munster to get a bit of luck with the S/F draw one of these years though.

I think the last time we  got a home semi against a non-Irish team was against Wasps in that wonder match in 2004.

Munster tends to get fairly easy groups so the luck evens out.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Tue 8 Apr - 13:36

GunsGerms wrote:
MunsterMac wrote:It would be nice for Munster to get a bit of luck with the S/F draw one of these years though.

I think the last time we  got a home semi against a non-Irish team was against Wasps in that wonder match in 2004.

Munster tends to get fairly easy groups so the luck evens out.

When would that be Guns. This year possibly. Otherwise you are as usual talking through your whole... Laugh 

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by MunsterMac Tue 8 Apr - 13:39

Depends on your definition of an easy group I suppose but I would say Munster's groups haven't been any easier than any other team's except maybe Biarritz who have gotten ridiculously easy pools a couple of times.

The English teams we've had over the last few years have included Saracens, Northampton (twice), London Irish, Leicester and Sale & Wasps when they were good.

The French have included USAP, Clermont (Twice), Toulon, & Racing.

And I can only remember us getting an Italian club once in the last 10 years or so.

MunsterMac

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Tue 8 Apr - 13:40

Dont let the facts get in the way though.

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4