The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is it unfair to impose English on teams who do not speak English?

+26
ME-109
Poorfour
aucklandlaurie
quinsforever
blackcanelion
brennomac
nganboy
ChequeredJersey
offload
Geordie
lostinwales
Scrumpy
whocares
munkian
fa0019
beshocked
Dontheman
rainbow-warrior
Mr Fishpaste
Barney McGrew did it
Biltong
bedfordwelsh
welshy824 (new)
LondonTiger
Cyril
kiakahaaotearoa
30 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Is it unfair to impose English on teams who do not speak English? - Page 2 Empty Is it unfair to impose English on teams who do not speak English?

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Sun 06 Apr 2014, 3:33 pm

First topic message reminder :

Rugby was an English invention. Unlike football, modern rugby refs have an open dialogue with players. The problem for teams whose mother tongue is not English, that communication by the ref is invariably in English. Allain Rolland is the only ref that I can think of that speaks to, or at least can speak to, a team in a language other than English. A ref like Poite can't speak French to his fellow countrymen as he's never allowed to ref France in an international due to potential allegations of bias.

So how much of a disadvantage is a team at if English isn't their mother tongue? Surely you just have to learn a few words based around the ruck. It can't be that difficult? Or is it?

Is a team like Argentina or France forced to pick a player who has a workable command of English in order to maintain an open dialogue with the ref? Imagine if England play Argentina and we have a French ref whose mother is Spanish and speaks flawless French and Spanish but has not the faintest idea about English. He awards Argentina a penalty. The English captain approaches the ref looking for clarification. A game of mime ensues, some frantic sign language and then the thumbs up, shaking of the head and some choice words in English spoken.

How many refs out there who don't speak English are being prevented from rising to the elite panel? What happens when Russia play Spain? Is it impossible to accommodate every team and like pilots landing a plane, it's their responsibility to learn some basic English? Is there a workable solution or is English the default language spoken by refs (even though all the refs might be able to converse in another language freely) and equals opportunities is just a euphemism for Sgt Pepper and the bleedin´ hearts club band?

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Is it unfair to impose English on teams who do not speak English? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is it unfair to impose English on teams who do not speak English?

Post by brennomac Thu 10 Apr 2014, 3:22 pm

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:Probably more so GF that the sports are English inventions. Somehow rugby has had more appeal than cricket.

Football has the advantage of having refs from different languages. The top ref used to be a bald Italian. How many decent refs who don't speak English are we missing out on?

Yep that bald Italian ref with the bulging eyes was Collina - one hard dude you never messed with - one glare from him turned hard men like Baresi into jellies - even had the nerve to send off Baresi in the first minute of a Milan derby.

brennomac

Back to top Go down

Is it unfair to impose English on teams who do not speak English? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is it unfair to impose English on teams who do not speak English?

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Thu 10 Apr 2014, 3:45 pm

Nice one that's the bugger. Great ref. Wouldn't see Barca players crying to him!

I didnt think we could ever have someone like that in rugby until last year with Nigel Owen's performances. Funnily enough I think what sets him apart is his open communication ... In his Welsh accented English.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Thu 10 Apr 2014, 3:51 pm

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:Nice one that's the bugger. Great ref. Wouldn't see Barca players crying to him!

I didnt think we could ever have someone like that in rugby until last year with Nigel Owen's performances. Funnily enough I think what sets him apart is his open communication ... In his Welsh accented English.

I think we've found an answer....

fasttrack Bakkies, Kobus Weise, Martin Johnson, Richard Loe & Brad Thorn into the referee game like a few kiwi players have done (the ex sarries one).

Who would mess? Could you imagine Mike Phillips having a go at those chaps... well probably, behind a wall of Adam Jones anyhow.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 11 Apr 2014, 12:02 am

fa0019 wrote:this isn't the days of Allo Allo. The number of refs that officiate in tier 1 matches i.e. 6N & RC is less then a dozen. I think we can train these guys up to have conversational English, French and Spanish (South American Spanish) which is good enough for locals to understand clearly.

With the spread of rugby to different countries it's obvious we need a set of refereeing instructions/decisions in words understood by international players and referees alike. They could be in the Klingon language for all I care. The point is that they would have to be learned only once (excuse the Allo Allo pun!) and would be used in every international game. That's more feasible than trying to "train up" referees in a different language every time another country enters the international arena. You mention conversational English, French and Spanish. What about conversational Japanese, Georgian, Russian and Romanian, since all those countries were in the last RWC?

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Fri 11 Apr 2014, 12:52 am

optimist wrote:
fa0019 wrote:this isn't the days of Allo Allo. The number of refs that officiate in tier 1 matches i.e. 6N & RC is less then a dozen. I think we can train these guys up to have conversational English, French and Spanish (South American Spanish) which is good enough for locals to understand clearly.

With the spread of rugby to different countries it's obvious we need a set of refereeing instructions/decisions in words understood by international players and referees alike. They could be in the Klingon language for all I care. The point is that they would have to be learned only once (excuse the Allo Allo pun!) and would be used in every international game. That's more feasible than trying to "train up" referees in a different language every time another country enters the international arena. You mention conversational English, French and Spanish. What about conversational Japanese, Georgian, Russian and Romanian, since all those countries were in the last RWC?

How about pigeon English?

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-warrior Fri 11 Apr 2014, 3:14 am

lostinwales wrote:
rainbow-warrior wrote:Nigel Owens first language is Welsh, so it's good he talks so much in English.  He also has a good command of French and Italian.  You could also have Argentinian players who only speak Spanish and Welsh, as explained in a post not so long ago.

I think you will find that despite the money put in by the Welsh Assembly to support the survival of the Welsh language in Argentina the odds of finding an Argentinian in a rugby team who speaks any welsh is remote. You might have a better chance with German.

The Welsh assembly need not worry about the Welsh language in Argentina, it is thriving and kids learn it at school. In fact Welsh is spoken in Chile too. I have been there 4 times now so don't go making up crap here to try and justify your delusional beliefs there's a good lad.
rainbow-warrior
rainbow-warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 11 Apr 2014, 8:33 am

blackcanelion wrote:
optimist wrote:

How about pigeon English?

I like your lateral thinking but sadly it's probably a non-starter as there are now no fewer than 18 recognised forms of pidgin English. A lot of people think the only one is Papuan Pidgin English but that ignores the other 14, such as Japanese Bamboo English, Samoan Plantation Pidgin and Queensland Kanaka English.

I admit to liking the idea of Klingon language, a spin-off from Star Trek. Also, the Klingons were warriors who wouldn't take a backward step, which would fit well with the image of international rugby.

On the other hand, as Captain Mainwaring used to say in Dad's Army - "we may be entering the realms of fantasy here!"

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Fri 11 Apr 2014, 10:11 am

rainbow-warrior wrote:
lostinwales wrote:
rainbow-warrior wrote:Nigel Owens first language is Welsh, so it's good he talks so much in English.  He also has a good command of French and Italian.  You could also have Argentinian players who only speak Spanish and Welsh, as explained in a post not so long ago.

I think you will find that despite the money put in by the Welsh Assembly to support the survival of the Welsh language in Argentina the odds of finding an Argentinian in a rugby team who speaks any welsh is remote. You might have a better chance with German.

The Welsh assembly need not worry about the Welsh language in Argentina, it is thriving and kids learn it at school.  In fact Welsh is spoken in Chile too.  I have been there 4 times now so don't go making up crap here to try and justify your delusional beliefs there's a good lad.

Just had a quick look on Wikipedia. I know its not always that reliable but it lists the population of Argentina as just under 42million, and the number of people who speak Welsh as a second language (after Spanish) as 25000. Now if you go to those areas of 'Welsh settlement' the chances of meeting someone who understands some Welsh will obviously be a lot higher, but as an overall fraction of 0.06% of the population the chances elsewhere will be slim. English in contrast is definitely taught in schools and apparently 42.3% claim to speak some.

So if you want to find Welsh speakers in Argentina you can but its not easy.

And yes regardless of the ifs and whys the Welsh Assembly do spend money to support the Welsh language in Argentina

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-warrior Fri 11 Apr 2014, 11:25 am

lostinwales wrote:
rainbow-warrior wrote:
lostinwales wrote:

The Welsh assembly need not worry about the Welsh language in Argentina, it is thriving and kids learn it at school.  In fact Welsh is spoken in Chile too.  I have been there 4 times now so don't go making up crap here to try and justify your delusional beliefs there's a good lad.

Just had a quick look on Wikipedia. I know its not always that reliable but it lists the population of Argentina as just under 42million, and the number of people who speak Welsh as a second language (after Spanish) as 25000. Now if you go to those areas of 'Welsh settlement' the chances of meeting someone who understands some Welsh will obviously be a lot higher, but as an overall fraction of 0.06% of the population the chances elsewhere will be slim. English in contrast is definitely taught in schools and apparently 42.3% claim to speak some.

And yes regardless of the ifs and whys the Welsh Assembly do spend money to support the Welsh language in Argentina

I know many Welsh families there and if you read you will find that 200,000 CLAIM Welsh ancestory and that Welsh is on the up. As I have said I visit there every few years and what a joy it is to speak Welsh with them knowing that the only other language they know is Spanish and not some made up bastardised language, and I suggest to you it is not englsih they learn it is American. As I said once, pop over there before you even try and criticise or try and remove the pride these people have in their Welsh history.
rainbow-warrior
rainbow-warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Fri 11 Apr 2014, 11:43 am

rainbow-warrior wrote:
lostinwales wrote:
rainbow-warrior wrote:
lostinwales wrote:

I know many Welsh families there and if you read you will find that 200,000 CLAIM Welsh ancestory and that Welsh is on the up. As I have said I visit there every few years and what a joy it is to speak Welsh with them knowing that the only other language they know is Spanish and not some made up bastardised language, and I suggest to you it is not englsih they learn it is American. As I said once, pop over there before you even try and criticise or try and remove the pride these people have in their Welsh history.
I'd wager it's easier to find an English-speaker than a Welsh-speaker in South America. Still, it's good to hear your anecdotal evidence warrior Smile

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Fri 11 Apr 2014, 11:51 am

rainbow-warrior wrote:
lostinwales wrote:
rainbow-warrior wrote:
lostinwales wrote:

I know many Welsh families there and if you read you will find that 200,000 CLAIM Welsh ancestory and that Welsh is on the up.  As I have said I visit there every few years and what a joy it is to speak Welsh with them knowing that the only other language they know is Spanish and not some made up bastardised language, and I suggest to you it is not englsih they learn it is American.  As I said once, pop over there before you even try and criticise or try and remove the pride these people have in their Welsh history.

You take it all so personally, especially when all I have quoted is some actual facts.

Argentina is a country made up of lots of immigrant groups and its a big place, so that there are lots of odd corners where languages and customs have survived. For instance I know of researchers going out to Argentina to find out details of a German dialect which has long ago died out in Germany itself.

If you go to the places where the Welsh settled and look for a Welsh speaker I am sure you have a good chance of finding one. Going elsewhere and its going to be hard. 200,000 out of 42million is still a drop in the ocean. And it is likely that as in Wales itself the number of Welsh speakers is considerably smaller than the number of Welsh.

Going back to the original thread the chances of finding an Argentinian in a rugby team who speaks Welsh is very low but not impossible. You would be much better off with Italian, Arabic, Portuguese or even German. The chances of finding someone who can speak some English is very high.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-warrior Sat 12 Apr 2014, 8:15 am

lostinwales wrote:
rainbow-warrior wrote:
lostinwales wrote:
rainbow-warrior wrote:
lostinwales wrote:

I know many Welsh families there and if you read you will find that 200,000 CLAIM Welsh ancestory and that Welsh is on the up.  As I have said I visit there every few years and what a joy it is to speak Welsh with them knowing that the only other language they know is Spanish and not some made up bastardised language, and I suggest to you it is not englsih they learn it is American.  As I said once, pop over there before you even try and criticise or try and remove the pride these people have in their Welsh history.

You take it all so personally, especially when all I have quoted is some actual facts.

Argentina is a country made up of lots of immigrant groups and its a big place, so that there are lots of odd corners where languages and customs have survived. For instance I know of researchers going out to Argentina to find out details of a German dialect which has long ago died out in Germany itself.

If you go to the places where the Welsh settled and look for a Welsh speaker I am sure you have a good chance of finding one. Going elsewhere and its going to be hard. 200,000 out of 42million is still a drop in the ocean. And it is likely that as in Wales itself the number of Welsh speakers is considerably smaller than the number of Welsh.

Going back to the original thread the chances of finding an Argentinian in a rugby team who speaks Welsh is very low but not impossible. You would be much better off with Italian, Arabic, Portuguese or even German. The chances of finding someone who can speak some English is very high.

It's 200,000 more than the english pal, you know of any english groups out there, dare say they would not be liked much it there were. You have an odd way about you, you do not have to go in search of anyone, you are not Livingstone! The Welsh communites are out there, whole towns that speak Welsh and Spanish, and I know for sure many don't know much english and neither do they want to learn a pointless language in their country. If I wanted to hear Arabic, I'd go to england where I imagine Polish will be the language of choice.
rainbow-warrior
rainbow-warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Sat 12 Apr 2014, 9:24 am

All international players need to learn the minimum of rugby phrases in English to be able to understand all instructions and rulings from the ref.

In reality, most players know what they are doing wrong so barely need any explanation from the ref.

Front rows should probably be required to have a decent grasp of referee-chat in English.

In intl games, refs should NOT talk any language other than English to players. Then, all refs will be able to ref all games, irrespective of language skills

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Sat 12 Apr 2014, 10:34 am

Thing is I reckon I could go to deepest darkest Africa, get a Swahili bushman, who cant speak a word of English, never seen a game of Rugby before in his life and he'd be a darned side better than some of the current English speaking refs going around.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Sat 12 Apr 2014, 10:57 am

aucklandlaurie wrote:
Thing is I reckon I could go to deepest darkest Africa, get a Swahili bushman, who cant speak a word of English, never seen a game of Rugby before in his life and he'd be a darned side better than some of the current English speaking refs going around.

if you think it's that easy, take the course and become a ref yourself. The game could always use more. Of course, you may find that it's more difficult than you think.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Sat 12 Apr 2014, 11:36 am

rainbow-warrior wrote:
lostinwales wrote:
rainbow-warrior wrote:
lostinwales wrote:
rainbow-warrior wrote:
lostinwales wrote:

It's 200,000 more than the english pal, you know of any english groups out there, dare say they would not be liked much it there were.  You have an odd way about you, you do not have to go in search of anyone, you are not Livingstone!  The Welsh communites are out there, whole towns that speak Welsh and Spanish, and I know for sure many don't know much english and neither do they want to learn a pointless language in their country.  If I wanted to hear Arabic, I'd go to england where I imagine Polish will be the language of choice.

You are funny  laughing 

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Sat 12 Apr 2014, 12:48 pm

lostinwales wrote:
rainbow-warrior wrote:
lostinwales wrote:
rainbow-warrior wrote:
lostinwales wrote:
rainbow-warrior wrote:
lostinwales wrote:

It's 200,000 more than the english pal, you know of any english groups out there, dare say they would not be liked much it there were.  You have an odd way about you, you do not have to go in search of anyone, you are not Livingstone!  The Welsh communites are out there, whole towns that speak Welsh and Spanish, and I know for sure many don't know much english and neither do they want to learn a pointless language in their country.  If I wanted to hear Arabic, I'd go to england where I imagine Polish will be the language of choice.

You are funny  laughing 

Brazilian Definition of an Argentinian - Italians who speak Spanish who want to be British.....

Oh and there are 500,000 to 1 million claiming Irish descent some who speak Irish but I wouldnt start using that. Although it would even things up in an Irish Argentina game as the vast majority of the Irish team wouldnt have a clue either.

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Totallybiasedscarlet Sat 12 Apr 2014, 11:42 pm

Marvellous. Mudslinging over culture. Great. Just what the world needs more of.

Anyway, back to the thread, surely it's just a case of accommodating where possible?

Erm 

Could the answer actually be that simple or am I being far too sensible here?
Totallybiasedscarlet
Totallybiasedscarlet

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sun 13 Apr 2014, 7:59 am

Someone thinks there aren't people of English descent in Argentina?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_Argentine
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-warrior Sun 13 Apr 2014, 10:41 am

ChequeredJersey wrote:Someone thinks there aren't people of English descent in Argentina?

Make an effort hahaha'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Y_Wladfa
rainbow-warrior
rainbow-warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sun 13 Apr 2014, 11:44 am

Someone's been reading too many Malcolm Pryce novels Laugh

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Sun 13 Apr 2014, 1:25 pm

Its all got way off topic.

Someone took a general and perfectly sensible post from me as an in depth attack on Welsh culture and went off the deep end. Reminds me of a place I used to live but that is also a digression.

The language thing is always going to be difficult and it is a disadvantage to non native English speakers, and its something I believe France used to be uncomfortable with. The IRB may need to employ translators on the sidelines who knows?

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sun 13 Apr 2014, 2:57 pm

rainbow-warrior wrote:
ChequeredJersey wrote:Someone thinks there aren't people of English descent in Argentina?

Make an effort hahaha'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Y_Wladfa

Oh, I'm so sorry. I didn't realise that English Argentines and Welsh Argentines existing were mutually exclusive possible events!

Very odd reaction.
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-warrior Tue 15 Apr 2014, 3:34 am

lostinwales wrote:Its all got way off topic.

Someone took a general and perfectly sensible post from me as an in depth attack on Welsh culture and went off the deep end. Reminds me of a place I used to live but that is also a digression.

The language thing is always going to be difficult and it is a disadvantage to non native English speakers, and its something I believe France used to be uncomfortable with. The IRB may need to employ translators on the sidelines who knows?

Just educating the ignorant
rainbow-warrior
rainbow-warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Wed 16 Apr 2014, 11:02 am

Crickey, reading this, you would get the impression that Roman Poitre can communicate in English.

For the record, I'm not sure he can communicate in any language. Very Happy 
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Wed 16 Apr 2014, 3:55 pm

Joking aside, do you think you could ref a game in French or a language apart from English, Sin é?

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Wed 16 Apr 2014, 4:33 pm

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:Joking aside, do you think you could ref a game in French or a language apart from English, Sin é?

I don't think the language is the problem. Its more the ref's way of reffing.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by GoodinTightSpaces Thu 17 Apr 2014, 12:52 pm

Sin é wrote:
kiakahaaotearoa wrote:Joking aside, do you think you could ref a game in French or a language apart from English, Sin é?

I don't think the language is the problem. Its more the ref's way of reffing.
i dont think you could ref a game in french Sine

GoodinTightSpaces

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluedragon Fri 18 Apr 2014, 12:30 am

I always enjoy a confused Italian prop looking at an Englsih speaking ref talking to him waiting for Luke Mclean ( or equivalent Saffer or kiwi ) to run up from full back to explain why the ref was penalising him.

Even props who speak English ( like gethin Jenkins ) still look they don't understand what the ref is telling them. So would it make any difference ?

I have always thought the ref shouting instructions like ' tackler rollaway ' is fine if the player speaks Englsih and probably benefits the english speaking team. But lets not give France any more excuses for being crap.

I guess learning the commonly repeated phrases ' tackler not releasing ' ' not rolling away ' ' next ones a yellow ' ' captain speak to your team ' ' crooked feed ' ' hinging ' ' not binding ' ' pushing before the ball is in ' in Italian and French would probably help ?

Bluedragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2