The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why I believe Marcos Rene Maidana can beat Floyd Mayweather

+30
Strongback
88Chris05
hampo17
JabMachineMK2
mobilemaster8
ShahenshahG
Hammersmith harrier
Nico the gman
AdamT
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Gentleman01
kingraf
Rowley
Mr Bounce
Boxtthis
hogey
John Bloody Wayne
hazharrison
Mayweathers cellmate
AlexHuckerby
soy_frank_cappuccino
milkyboy
catchweight
Atila
Scottrf
Steffan
TRUSSMAN66
owen10ozzy
BoomBoomBaby
34 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Why I believe Marcos Rene Maidana can beat Floyd Mayweather Empty Why I believe Marcos Rene Maidana can beat Floyd Mayweather

Post by BoomBoomBaby Thu 24 Apr 2014, 5:09 pm

Hello Gents,

First time OP here. A big fight coming up soon between MM vs FMJ. A lot of people are writing off Marcos Maidana before he has already fought FMJ. I believe he has the tools to win this fight. After watching his recent fights he will give FMJ much more of a fight than most believe. His foot work and head movement have improved massively under Garcia. His out putt of punches alone can win him this fight. A lot of people were touting Canelo to beat FMJ which I thought was never going to happen due to his lack of speed. Maidana does not suffer from a lack of speed IMHO. He's not the quickest but his in your face style could really upset FMJ. A continuing improving MM can finally get rid of FMJ 0.

I could be wrong. Normally I am . Either way I'm putting some money on MM for a W.

All the best.

BoomBoomBaby

Back to top Go down

Why I believe Marcos Rene Maidana can beat Floyd Mayweather Empty Re: Why I believe Marcos Rene Maidana can beat Floyd Mayweather

Post by owen10ozzy Thu 24 Apr 2014, 5:27 pm

Welcome aboard BoomBoom;

Whilst I would like to believe Maidana can give Mayweather a stern test, I sadly think the writing is on the wall in this fight. Mayweather has faced plenty of fighters like Maidana in the past and brings nothing new to the table (mind you there is an argument that nothing is new to Mayweather anyway). Whilst I understand your points about his improvement under Garcia, I'm not of the belief that they are substantial enough to give Floyd any problems.

Punch output alone doesn't win you a fight against him and I whilst Maidana isn't slow in terms of punching speed, he is pretty obvious with what he throws...something which Money May will capitalise on all night. The key ingredients, if indeed there are any, to beating Floyd is extremely good footwork and punches from different angles...two things sorely missing from Maidana's arsenal. Even with the improvements under Garcia there were times when Broner was able to circle and dip round and under some of Maidana's work...Mayweather is infinitely better in all areas of defence than 'The Problem' so I don't see him being able to outmaneuver him.

For me, Maidana is essentially a slightly lower level version of Ricky Hatton and he struggled to get on the inside of Mayweather when they fought and for me Ricky had much better footwork at the time...if he couldn't do it with his style of fighting, I don't see Maidana faring any better. Wide UD for me...some will call it a clinic...others will say he was tailor made for Floyd...I'll probably end up edging towards the latter.

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Why I believe Marcos Rene Maidana can beat Floyd Mayweather Empty Re: Why I believe Marcos Rene Maidana can beat Floyd Mayweather

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 24 Apr 2014, 5:36 pm

Glad you wrote it and not me boom boom..

I agree a good test

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Thu 24 Apr 2014, 5:37 pm

Welcome to the forum BoomBoom. First of all let me just say...if anyone gives you any problems on here let me know and il sort them out for you  thumbsup

In regards to the Maid...I disagree with owen10ozzy that he is a slightly lower level version of Ricky Hatton. That being said I think he will give Floyd a harder fight that Hatton did due his style of fighting which will bring to the table. Floyd movement and counter punching will win him this though like so many before. I dont think it will a one sided fight. Even if the Maid got Floyd in trouble I dont think he has it in him to finish him off. I doubt it will get to that stage anyway. Floyd will do all the right things Broner did wrong and I predict he will win by 7-8 rounds although will take a few shots on the way but wont hit the canvas

Regards

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu 24 Apr 2014, 5:42 pm

Wouldn't waste a penny on Maidana given 20/1.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Thu 24 Apr 2014, 5:44 pm

I don't have any problems with the fight, but I don't see Maidana winning and I don't see how this is classed as a "big fight".

It's a basic title defence hyped up just because it's a Floyd fight. For it to be a genuinely big fight there would need to be two special fighters going head to head and some doubt as to who's going to win. Unless Maidana scores a major upset, this fights got Floyd on points written all over it.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Thu 24 Apr 2014, 5:49 pm

I think its a mismatch.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 24 Apr 2014, 6:05 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Glad you wrote it and not me boom boom..

I agree a good test

Post of the day truss, nice when someone does your dirty work for you.

Walk in the park for floyd. I haven't seen much improvement in maidana, Infact ,thought he looked flabby against broner. If Alexander shuts him out, floyd bolts the door and gives him a golden shower from the first floor window.

Anyway, good luck boom boom, always a chance floyd hangs his chin out. Just not something he's made a habit of previously.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by soy_frank_cappuccino Thu 24 Apr 2014, 6:21 pm

Cant see this Boom Boom, even if he landed one Boom, he seems to struggle to finish of fighters who are hurt.

Just possible he may catch Mayweather with one of those looping hooks, he has a lot wider arc than most time fighters so it make take a little adjustment from Roger.

soy_frank_cappuccino

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 24 Apr 2014, 6:52 pm

I would actually say that Maidana beats Hatton and that Maidana gives floyd more problems due to the punching power he has in his arsenal which Hatton lacked. His attacks are wild and a little unpredictable at times with how strange they can be, one thing Broner did struggle with Maidana's unorthodox punches, his left hook was noted by Malignaggi to feint a jab to the body and then brought it up awkwardly to catch him and knock him down. If there's a single punch that is effective against the shoulder roll it's the left hook. That being said Floyd has one main thing Broner didn't, footwork, Maidana will struggle to get close. Broner stood right in front of him which gave Maidana a chance and he took it, Floyd doesn't give him that chance.

I could actually see Floyd getting a KO in this fight due to it being so one sided. The last person he fought that was this wide in skill berth was Gatti, the last person he fought that put this much pressure on Floyd was Hatton, he got a KO on both guys. Think it's well possible for him to do it here.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Mayweathers cellmate Thu 24 Apr 2014, 7:01 pm

Even a fat Broner who fought the complete wrong fight only lost to him by a couple rounds. Mayweather shutout.

Mayweathers cellmate

Back to top Go down

Post by soy_frank_cappuccino Thu 24 Apr 2014, 7:08 pm

Roger Mayweather only asks Floyd how he is, when he is"whooping" (to use a mayweatherism) the other guy, expect to hear from the 3rd round through to 12th, "how are you feeling"? an unbearable amount of times.

soy_frank_cappuccino

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu 24 Apr 2014, 7:14 pm

Maidana has no chance - which is why he landed the fight. Even Ariza can't help him due to the drug testing in place.

Another boring as hell UD12.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Thu 24 Apr 2014, 7:45 pm

Mayweathers cellmate wrote:Even a fat Broner who fought the complete wrong fight only lost to him by a couple rounds. Mayweather shutout.

Odd one, he was down by several points despite never being punished for his fouls such as elbowing in the throat and punching after the bell.

Also, it's easy to say he fought the wrong fight as if Broner loves getting punched as much as I love watching him get punched, but why did he fight the wrong fight? He lacks output and footwork, Maidana punished him for this in ways his other opponents couldn't as he could match Broner for size while carrying power. Garcia said before the fight the left hand would be crucial and Maidana used it brilliantly. Watching the ALexander fight, then the Broner fight illustrates to me why Garcia is the best trainer in the business.

However Mayweather is more like Alexander than Broner. Ignore the repulsive personalities. Or charismatic depending on what you like, whatever. Ignore the facial expression they pull when doing the shoulder roll and look at what they do and Alexander is more Mayweathery than Broner in attitude to a fight. Cautious, good reflexes, quick feet. His offence isn't great and he can only really hurt opponents on the counter but he is hard to pin down. Retrospectively, making it close and only going down once against Mathysse is actually a damn good effort by a guy with little power! Although Maidana has improved dramatically since then - not since Barrera's five year transformation from face first brawler getting taken out by Junior Jones to brilliant all rounder countering and generally outboxing Naseem Hamed can I remember such a marked improvement after a decisive loss - his level of opposition is now going up several steps, I don't think he has enough to come too close to beating Mayweather. He might buzz, might take some rounds, and might carry enough of a threat to keep Floyd in his shell, but I don't see enough different dimensions. Like Alex, I wouldn't be surprised at a stoppage as Maidana's chin isn't great and Mayweather will likely find him increasingly easy to hit as the fight goes on.

Last edited by John Bloody Wayne on Thu 24 Apr 2014, 7:47 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : YOUR HEAD IS MADE OF FLESH)

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Thu 24 Apr 2014, 8:01 pm

Maidana will be a handful and Floyd will have to work hard, i think it will be a much closer fight than most people realise. For me if Maidana can have success with his body punching early then he will have a little bit of a chance, also Floyd will not like his work rate one bit and at this stage of his career may struggle late on if he is forced to fight for 3 minutes a round unlike in the Canelo fight where he could light a cigar between the periods of real action.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu 24 Apr 2014, 8:03 pm

Everyone's work rate looks a lot better before they get in the ring with Floyd. That's not really something for him to worry about.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Thu 24 Apr 2014, 8:11 pm

hogey has touched on something there, although I can't see why it would happen now of all times, sometimes fighters can simply age over night. Maybe Floyd gets in the ring, is a little too slow and stays in a range of fire that he ususally would have left long before and gets caught by a wild swing from a powerful puncher, goes down. Loses.

Unless this happens, I give Marcos little chance.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Mayweathers cellmate Thu 24 Apr 2014, 8:12 pm

Broner fought the wrong fight as in he didn't even respect Maidana enough to bother moving his feet to get away from punches.

Mayweather and Broner do have very similar styles. The difference comes form Mayweather's 'hard work and dedication' ethos, compared to Broner's out-right laziness.

Mayweather to beat Maidana on points is 2/1 on with the bookies. Which is generous odds for me.

Maidana is tough and dangerous, but basic. Mayweather can't punch for ****. Has a 12 round shut-out written all over it.

Mayweathers cellmate

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Thu 24 Apr 2014, 8:23 pm

Maidana punches are far too wide for him to trouble Mayweather. I really can't see him doing anything beyond the first round or two. I actually think Mayweather could TKO him here....or at least I think he would if he had any kind of killer instinct left.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Thu 24 Apr 2014, 8:27 pm

DO you really think boxers don't do things just through laziness? He didn't have the ability so he lost.

I disagree on Maidana's outright toughness. Alexander isn't a puncher and he had him hurt on the ropes to the body and head. Mayweather certainly isn't Golovkin but he can hit at Alexander's level.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Thu 24 Apr 2014, 8:35 pm

John Bloody Wayne wrote:DO you really think boxers don't do things just through laziness? He didn't have the ability so he lost..

Absolutely agree here. One of Broner's major flaws is that he stands in front of people for too long. He thinks his shoulder role and bending at the waist stuff will get him out of trouble, but it doesn't. He got away with it against undersized opponents. He barely got away with it against Malignaggi. He did not get away with it against Maidana. You might say 'he fought the wrong fight', but, for me, that's the way he's always fought.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Thu 24 Apr 2014, 8:42 pm

I dont know what the odds are for this but if they were generous I would actually fancy Mayweather to force a stoppage. I imagine the bookies pick will be odds on for a Mayweather decision but I think this is such a mismatch Maidana could be retired or put out of his misery by the ref. Id give the Samoan prop fighting Klitschko a better chance of an upset.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Thu 24 Apr 2014, 9:27 pm

I think it's likely that this one will be a corner retirement around the 10 round mark. I can't see anything other than that or a UD for Floyd.

That said, you gotta get old sometime so if Marcos does the unthinkable, lands a haymaker and puts Floydy Boy on queer street...

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 24 Apr 2014, 10:02 pm

Guys you're talking yourselves into this. First reaction from most people when the fight was made was floyd ud12. Gut reaction is normally right. Floyd doesn't knock people out these days for two reasons... he doesn't want to hurt his hands on hard heads and he's at his most vulnerable when he's initiating exchanges. So, flash knock down counter punch? maybe. Concerted effort to take someone out? never... He doesn't need to do it... Too risky.

But hey, I 'be been wrong before

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Thu 24 Apr 2014, 10:09 pm

Hopefully Mayweather comes out of his shell and puts on a show in this one. If he is going to handpick Maidana then I hope he entertains and looks for the stoppage and we dont get a safety first boring decision where the crowd start booing after 2 rounds. A 12 rounder is Mayweather win is the most likely result but this is such a mismatch in ability I think Mayweather could put a beating on Maidana. I would take 2/1 on a Mayweather stoppage.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu 24 Apr 2014, 10:16 pm

You can get about 2/1 on a Mayweather stoppage and 1/2 on the decision.

Maidana is about 14s for stoppage and 20s for decision. Haven't checked many bookies though.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Thu 24 Apr 2014, 10:27 pm

milkyboy wrote:Guys you're talking yourselves into this. First reaction from most people when the fight was made was floyd ud12. Gut reaction is normally right. Floyd doesn't knock people out these days for two reasons... he doesn't want to hurt his hands on hard heads and he's at his most vulnerable when he's initiating exchanges. So, flash knock down counter punch? maybe. Concerted effort to take someone out? never... He doesn't need to do it... Too risky.

But hey, I 'be been wrong before

I think an accumulation TKO, or Maidana getting cut up/eye closed is reasonably likely. I think he's gonna take a lot of shots in this one. That said, wide UD is by far the safest bet.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Thu 24 Apr 2014, 10:29 pm

Scottrf wrote:You can get about 2/1 on a Mayweather stoppage and 1/2 on the decision.

Maidana is about 14s for stoppage and 20s for decision. Haven't checked many bookies though.

2/1 for a Mayweather stoppage is disappointingly low I think. But, then again, boxing odds usually are.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 24 Apr 2014, 10:39 pm

To steal a phrase from Don King he has two chances, slim and none and slim just left town.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Thu 24 Apr 2014, 10:43 pm

2/1 sounds about right to me. More or less the chance I would have given of it happening. Maidana is going to eat so many punches in this fight.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Fri 25 Apr 2014, 7:27 am

While I would agree with the idea that output alone can win one a fight, it rarely happens against the house fighter. Plus I don't think Maidana hits Floyd enough for that to be considered. Personally put some dosh on a Maidana KO, but I accept my only real chance at earning anything from this.

Could be funny if Marky gives Floyd a fight though... "Floyd obviously never really stood a chance against Manny"
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 25 Apr 2014, 8:33 am

Mayweather boring..Haz isn't a purist.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Gentleman01 Fri 25 Apr 2014, 9:08 am

Unless Mayweather has aged drastically then he easily dominates Maidana.

Maidana's wide, crude attacks are tailor made for Mayweather. A complete mismatch which I won't bother to watch.

Gentleman01

Back to top Go down

Post by Gentleman01 Fri 25 Apr 2014, 9:12 am

Don't buy this high output argument.

Hatton had a high output, 'educated pressure', we were told, was the key to beating Mayweather. Guerrero too was meant to force Floyd to fight at a higher tempo.

The problem is; it's not so easy for a fighter to apply pressure when every time he launches an attack, he has right hands and counter left-hooks bounced of his face.

Maidana is too easy to hit.

Gentleman01

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 25 Apr 2014, 9:28 am

Maidana is a world champ...

Deserves more respect..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Fri 25 Apr 2014, 9:42 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Maidana is a world champ...

Deserves more respect..

So was Salido and you were completely disrespectful to him before the Lomenchekho fight.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri 25 Apr 2014, 9:45 am

I hope you're not trying to say that TRUSSY has double standards to fit his argument.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Mayweathers cellmate Fri 25 Apr 2014, 10:02 am

John Bloody Wayne wrote:DO you really think boxers don't do things just through laziness? He didn't have the ability so he lost.

I disagree on Maidana's outright toughness. Alexander isn't a puncher and he had him hurt on the ropes to the body and head. Mayweather certainly isn't Golovkin but he can hit at Alexander's level.

Taking punishment without getting knocked out is the very definition of toughness. Maidana is easy to hit, takes punches, yet has only been down once, to a body shot, in the last 5 years. He is tough.

If Broner fought Maidana again he'd have a completely different game-plan. Why? because he got it so wrong first time around. Broner had zero respect for Maidana, now he has lots.

Mayweathers cellmate

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Fri 25 Apr 2014, 10:03 am

Scottrf wrote:I hope you're not trying to say that TRUSSY has double standards to fit his argument.

Double!!?? No that would be too respectful of him. Try quadruple Scott!!! haha.

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 25 Apr 2014, 10:22 am

I said Salido was ordinary not that as a champ he didn't deserve respect..

Maidana isn't ordinary

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri 25 Apr 2014, 10:24 am

Salido is less ordinary than Maidana.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 25 Apr 2014, 10:29 am

If you say so

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Fri 25 Apr 2014, 10:37 am

Scottrf wrote:Salido is less ordinary than Maidana.

I'd put them at a similar standing. Although, I'd say Salido is slightly more accomplished.

Maidana is tough as nails and a big puncher. But he is in no way ahead of the rest of the 140-147 pack, let alone the 154 pack, where Floyd is champion. Basically, Floyd is in a tough spot with finding a decent opponent having already beaten one of the clearly two best guys at 154. He didn't have many options this time. But, lets not pretend that Maidana isn't tailor made for him.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Fri 25 Apr 2014, 11:00 am

2015 will be the year Floyd gets tested

I like Maidana but as peeps said he's perfect for floyd to look a million dollars. We all onow that he'll fight one of Khan or Collazo in September which will be a routine win depending on which one fights him so it won't be this year he faces a real threat

Floyd is struggling for opponents and the most dangerous of them either fight at 154 or fight for Top rank. GB have a large roster of really good fighters like Maidana, Guerrero, Berto, thurman, garcia, broner tc that are all around the same level and make for great fights, but unfortunately these fighters fall short of the level of the last lot of welters we had over a half a decade ago like your Cotto's, Mosleys, DLH's who were a serious threat to floyd. Lara-Canelo winner is the biggest threat out there apart from manny

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri 25 Apr 2014, 11:03 am

Khan could be a test stylistically I think. He just needs to stop throwing away his chance of a shot.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Fri 25 Apr 2014, 11:08 am

Truss are you actually for real saying that Salido doesn't deserve respect??

Please email Paul or Adam and had in your 606v2 resignation mate, any fighter (even white collar fighters) deserves respect and you come out with a line like that about a multiple time world champion.

Saying that, then Guerrero was P4P number 3....you are defo beginning to worry me.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 25 Apr 2014, 11:14 am

Not saying that

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Fri 25 Apr 2014, 12:21 pm

I think there will pressure on Mayweather to deliver a show given its such a mismatch. If he is able to deliver an entertaining beatdown he will find it easier to pick another easy opponent next time around. If he stinks the place out to a one one sided and dull UD then the demands to see him in with a high calibre opponent will increase and he may not find anoher mismatch like Collazo/Khan as easy a sell.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 25 Apr 2014, 12:34 pm

People will always to see the cream...Discerning people

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri 25 Apr 2014, 12:37 pm

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs wrote:2015 will be the year Floyd gets tested

I like Maidana but as peeps said he's perfect for floyd to look a million dollars. We all onow that he'll fight one of Khan or Collazo in September which will be a routine win depending on which one fights him so it won't be this year he faces a real threat

Floyd is struggling for opponents and the most dangerous of them either fight at 154 or fight for Top rank. GB have a large roster of really good fighters like Maidana, Guerrero, Berto, thurman, garcia, broner tc that are all around the same level and make for great fights, but unfortunately these fighters fall short of the level of the last lot of welters we had over a half a decade ago like your Cotto's, Mosleys, DLH's who were a serious threat to floyd. Lara-Canelo winner is the biggest threat out there apart from manny

Good post and agree with Lara being a potential threat. However I do not agree with Pacman being a test now. I think it was an awesome potential fight up until Marquez sparked him. Think he is'nt quite the same since that and i would imagine Floyd would have no bother countering Pac and walking him down all Night.

Styles make fights and no doubt a fast southpaw who can fight for 3 minutes a round and punch from strange angles would give Floyd a real test. Problem is that fighter aint the same. If Pac and May get it on, it would still be a huge spectable, though a competitve fight it would not.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next