The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Malignaggi on Ringside

+8
hazharrison
jimdig
wheelchair1991
sparxz
Strongback
milkyboy
SweetScience
Gentleman01
12 posters

Go down

Malignaggi on Ringside Empty Malignaggi on Ringside

Post by Gentleman01 Sat 26 Apr 2014, 12:32 am

Watching Paulie on Ringside earlier and he was speaking about his recent loss at the hands of Shawn Porter.

Aside from sounding utterly devastated by the loss and the manner of his defeat, Paulie made many references to how shocked he was by Porter's strength and power, making specific reference to Porter's previous lack of knockout victories.

Now, Paulie is usually an outspoken guy, but I got the feeling that he was perhaps driving at something deeper when he said that Porter's incredible strength 'surprised' him..

Anyone else get that impression?

Gentleman01

Back to top Go down

Malignaggi on Ringside Empty Re: Malignaggi on Ringside

Post by SweetScience Sat 26 Apr 2014, 3:37 am

I saw the interview Gent and that is exactly the impression that I got.

SweetScience

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sat 26 Apr 2014, 5:21 am

In recent history, Porter couldn't put a dent in diaz, who had previously been stopped at lower weight. Never looked like stopping Alexander. Is it porter on peds, or the fact that paulie has got old overnight that made the punches seem harder? Punches or punch resistance?

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sat 26 Apr 2014, 7:15 am

Not the first time Paulie has intimated PED use by a fighter. Pacquiao and Khan have been in his line of fire in the past.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by sparxz Sat 26 Apr 2014, 8:00 am

I also got this impression, but I do believe paulie has proberly lost some punch resistance that being said it was brutal for 4 rounds, and paulie has always been very durable against big punchers, so that is a massive loss of resistance in one showing, maybe a bit of both?

sparxz

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Sat 26 Apr 2014, 8:32 am

Paulie i thought was definatly getting at something like that i also thought brook didnt sound to confident on the phone

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Sat 26 Apr 2014, 9:08 am

Hatton steam rolled Paulie after needing to stop to tie his shoe laces to be saved in the lascano fight.

Thinking completely outside the box: Could the potential opportunity of a lottery winning fight with floyd (there may only be 3 slots left), possibly damage the sport because fighters in and around that division would do "anything" to be put in the frame for a floyd fight?

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Sat 26 Apr 2014, 10:07 am

Possibly. But if they land it they'd face drug testing protocol. Check mate Floyd.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sat 26 Apr 2014, 2:43 pm

I believe Paulie is looking for an excuse because the only other alternative reasons for being trashed are A) he's too old or B) he's not that good.

Previously Porter has used quantity over quality, however in this fight he threw as if going the distance wouldn't count and showed excellent timing too.

Paulie seemed made for him. Slick boxer types appear to be Porter's preferred opponent. He's a tough guy and even the numba one cruncha wit da mitts was unlikely to really discourage him. He didn't look to be in the same weight class as Porter. Paulie was physically out matched against a guy with a bad style for him. Plus he's old.

Personally I think a past hit, light fisted boxer who was never elite in the first place got beat. It happens.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 27 Apr 2014, 3:32 pm

Porter came in the ring at 165lbs. Says a lot.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sun 27 Apr 2014, 3:49 pm

Porter started as a pro as a middleweight, and seemingly still is come fight night. Still it was presumably the same for his previous fights.... Yet he Couldn't put a dent in diaz in 20 rounds... While Thurman walks through diaz in 3.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 27 Apr 2014, 4:09 pm

Strange I know, but sometimes it's stylistically, Diaz was very smart and pushed Porter onto the back foot with good footwork, couldn't land that leaping left hook and he couldn't get much momentum and wasn't setting his feet as much against Diaz. Malignaggi tried to stand in front of him and felt like he was smarter and could land jabs and right hands in that midrange area , but he didn't have the power to stop a march forward and Porter was able to come forward and tee off on Malignaggi and loaded up on all of his punches and maybe Malignaggi had just slipped a bit, enough to allow someone like Porter to steamroll him?

Theories everywhere mind you.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 27 Apr 2014, 4:14 pm

Thurman has shown world class power throughout his career so it was to be expected that Diaz would crumble under his barrage, only the iron chin of Zaveck has stood up to his power so far. With Porter it was a bit more unexpected to see him steamroll Malignaggi with such ease, I expected a late round corner or referee stoppage much like the Hatton and Khan fights.

Thurman excites me a bit more, he's got that wow factor that Porter seems to be missing.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 27 Apr 2014, 4:30 pm

Thurman against Porter would be great, think Porter takes a punch slightly better than Thurman who has been down once early in his career, but Thurman appears to have more spite in his boxing. Both are pretty intelligent fighters aswell although Thurman has shown adaptability against come forward guys in fights against Diego Chaves and Jesus Soto Karass and has shown good outside foot movement in both fights and the ability to retain his power late on. Porter may just end up running out of ideas against Thurman as he doesn't quite seem as adaptable and it's possible Thurman may have the power to put him onto the back foot where Porter doesn't look anywhere near as comfortable.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 28 Apr 2014, 4:14 pm

Porter used PEDs I don't care...........Anything to get rid of the stinker......

Well done Porter.......

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Mon 28 Apr 2014, 11:37 pm

Turns out Victor Conte has been "guiding" Porter in his last two fights.

Coincided with a marked increase in power.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Tue 29 Apr 2014, 10:24 pm

I've got to wonder why top fighters who are clean would go with a guy who has his rep. Why mark yourself?

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 29 Apr 2014, 10:34 pm

Or why fighters who aren't clean would draw attention to themselves with their choice of chemist

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Tue 29 Apr 2014, 10:39 pm

Then you have Donaire who undergoes 24/7 365 testing looks fantastic until he loses to Rigondeaux and then looks poor against Vic Dar in his two fights since firing Conte.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 29 Apr 2014, 11:01 pm

You can have 365 24/7 testing when your nutritionist claims he can beat the testers. Bit like you can demand your opponents 'take the test' when you only fight in one town and know they don't test for what you're taking.

Allegedly

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down