The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lambs to the Slaughter – aka Leinster V Edinburgh match thread

+23
Golden
the-goon
LeinsterFan4life
asoreleftshoulder
pete (buachaill on eirne)
ME-109
thebandwagonsociety
Submachine
IanBru
R!skysports
VinceWLB
MacKnocked-on
Pete330v2
Mickado
funnyExiledScot
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
tigertattie
EWT Spoons
Portnoy's Complaint
Notch
George Carlin
RDW
GLove39
27 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Lambs to the Slaughter – aka Leinster V Edinburgh match thread Empty Lambs to the Slaughter – aka Leinster V Edinburgh match thread

Post by GLove39 Mon 05 May 2014, 1:09 pm

Since RDW can’t bring himself to create another Edinburgh match thread, figured I’d give it a whirl...

Leinster Lambs to the Slaughter – aka Leinster V Edinburgh match thread 3559488474   v   Edinburgh  picard 
Saturday 10th May 2014, KO 18:30
The Slaughter House (RDS)

Butchers

1: Jack McGrath
2: Richardt Strauss
3: Mike Ross
4: Leo Cullen
5: Mike McCarthy
6: Sean O'Brien
7: Jordi Murphy
8: Jamie Heaslip

9: Isaac Boss
10: Jimmy Gopperth
11: Dave Kearney
12: Gordon D'Arcy
13: Brian O'Driscoll
14: Fergus McFadden
15: Zane Kirchner

REPLACEMENTS:
16: Sean Cronin
17: Cian Healy
18: Martin Moore
19: Rhys Ruddock
20: Dominic Ryan
21: Luke McGrath
22: Ian Madigan
23: Rob Kearney

Lambs

1 Dickinson
2 Ford
3 Nel
4 Gilchrist
5 B.Toolis
6 Coman
7 Leonardi
8 Denton

9 Laidlaw CAPTAIN
10 Leonard
11 Visser
12 Strauss
13 Scott
14 Beard
15 Bezuidenhout

Subs - 16 Hilterbrand 17 Blaauw 18 Berghan 19 A.Toolis 20 Basilaia 21 Hart 22 Francis 23 Atiga

Live on TG4

Referee: Leighton Hodges (WRU, 39th competition game)
Assistant Referees: Peter Fitzgibbon, Kieran Barry (both IRFU)
Citing Commissioner: Peter Ferguson (IRFU)
TMO: Seamus Flannery (IRFU)

Reasons to be optimistic...
 Tumbleweed 

Reasons to be pessimistic...
. Our form (hammered by Munster, lost to Glasgow, lost to Zebre, lost to the Blues)
. Their form (only lost once in the rabo this year)
. The RDS factor (when did we last win over there?)
. Missing players
 - Big Jack Cuthbert is off to the 7's, Tom Brown injured. Do we even have a back 3?
 - Do we have any second rows left who aren't volleyball players?)
. Our players are knackered (Congrats to Nel on the 50 caps!)
. We're Scottish

Final thought...
Given that torture is illegal under international law, I strongly urge you to write to your MP's and maybe Amnesty as well and see if we can't stop this match from happening.

Last edited by GLove39 on Fri 09 May 2014, 12:50 pm; edited 2 times in total

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Lambs to the Slaughter – aka Leinster V Edinburgh match thread Empty Re: Lambs to the Slaughter – aka Leinster V Edinburgh match thread

Post by RDW Mon 05 May 2014, 1:17 pm

Good job Glove!

I am very glad this isn't on TV.

In fact, I don't think I'm even going to check the score...

Leinster could put out their under 16 team and get a win here.

Some other news - Solomons is suggesting the Du Preez will be rested / checked in to the chronic exhaustion ward (I'm sure that's a thing), and Hamish Watson might make a return.  I'd be surprised if VDV returned.

Suspected team then:

Dickinson
Ford
Nel
Gilchrist
Denton
Leonardi
Watson
Coman-people

Laidlaw
Francis  Shocked 
Visser
Strauss
Scott
Beard  
Bezzy

picard 

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Lambs to the Slaughter – aka Leinster V Edinburgh match thread Empty Re: Lambs to the Slaughter – aka Leinster V Edinburgh match thread

Post by GLove39 Mon 05 May 2014, 1:34 pm

Cheers!
Actually the fact it's not being broadcast over here probably gives us something to put in the reasons to be optimistic column!

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 05 May 2014, 2:32 pm

Genius thread Graham. I would take issue with the last issue to be pessimistic though. Not many Scots in the last line up and I would think that there won't be too many here.

If it was available, I genuinely would consider the option of just sending the 5 points to Leinster with a king size Toblerone and a stripper without having to engage in the farcical jamboree of another fisting on the pitch.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 05 May 2014, 2:38 pm

No Edinburgh need to go out, not worry about the scoreline and rough up Leinster as much as possible. Just make it as physically bruising a game as possible within the laws.

Alan Solomons, we made you an honorary Ulsterman- do us this one favour!
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Mon 05 May 2014, 4:38 pm

Notch wrote:No Edinburgh need to go out, not worry about the scoreline and rough up Leinster as much as possible. Just make it as physically bruising a game as possible within the laws.

Alan Solomons, we made you an honorary Ulsterman- do us this one favour!

Quality rider, Notch.

In short; play like Sarries in the HEC semi rather than Ulster at home just of recent, .

I'm tempted to add the advice to test the fb as Kearney shouldn't be there if there's any justice. But that depends on the citing committee. And the wheels of justice are buckled and bent and grind exceeding slow.

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 05 May 2014, 4:47 pm

I wonder what team Leinster will put out?

The only really need a point from this game, and there is no chance they will lose even if they massively rotate their team.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 05 May 2014, 7:13 pm

Portnoy's Complaint wrote:
In short; play like Sarries in the HEC semi rather than Ulster at home just of recent,

Do you realise Ulster were top of the Pro12 FairPlay league for most of the season and at the time of the Saracens game? Tom Court was a naughty boy, Jared Payne was unlucky as opposed to malicious, but most teams in the league are 'dirtier' than us.

I always want to see us play within the laws and we generally do. I've only seen two red cards in my entire time as an Ulster season ticket holder (going into my seventh year) and do not recall any before that period. Unfortunately, they seem to be like buses  censored
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 05 May 2014, 11:46 pm

We're still top of the FairPlay league  angel  In fact the Provinces are top three, with the wayward Leinster at 7th.

The Welsh are all at the bottom  devil 

....with the exception of Ospreys.

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Tue 06 May 2014, 9:51 am

I fully expect that Edinburgh will be horsed in this game from start to finish, unless Leinster get the points they need early doors and then use the rest of the match as a practice session for ball retention and not to score tries, or let their props attempt drop goals from their own try line.  Given that I can’t see this happening, I think this season will end in an incredibly embarrassing meek manner.

Also loving the Edinburgh Facebook page commenting that they have been inundated with questions about season tickets for next year!!  If this is true (and not some pathetic attempt at marketing…..) who are these people that are so excited about next season they are wanting to get their season ticket already!!!  I can only assume this is due to:

A) These people haven’t  seen us play in the last couple of years,
B) Glasgow fans on the windup (I’m looking at you Shiz, ASBO, GC),
C) Solomans, has created several FaceBook accounts to try and make out that this season has been a success and fans are going to flock in to watch next year,
D) Figments of Edinburgh rugby’s imagination.

Anyway, back to the match, congratulations on your win Leinster, and I fully support GC’s suggestion of just giving you the points now and letting the Edinburgh players go on holiday/dole queue with what little pride they can muster between them.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 06 May 2014, 10:30 am

One guy asked on Twitter about season tickets - that's all I've seen so far.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Tue 06 May 2014, 10:32 am

I think Edinburgh could win this one

I also think that I could win the euro millions

I also think that one day ASBO may crack a smile
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 06 May 2014, 11:01 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:One guy asked on Twitter about season tickets - that's all I've seen so far.

Was it FES specifically re-stating that he does not wish to renew his?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 06 May 2014, 11:04 am

tigertattie wrote:I think Edinburgh could win this one

I also think that I could win the euro millions

I also think that one day ASBO may crack a smile
Don't be ridonkulous  Lambs to the Slaughter – aka Leinster V Edinburgh match thread 3933776953 

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 06 May 2014, 11:19 am

There are some options remaining for Edinburgh to get this game called off:

George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 06 May 2014, 11:29 am

Were I in Dublin, with nothing to do, handed a free ticket with Mrs BOD offering to sit on my lap for the entire 80 minutes, I would still not attend this rugby match.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Tue 06 May 2014, 12:13 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:Were I in Dublin, with nothing to do, handed a free ticket with Mrs BOD offering to sit on my lap for the entire 80 minutes, I would still not attend this rugby match.

You'd give me the ticket though right?

She's a ride.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Tue 06 May 2014, 1:28 pm

Mr BoD will be sitting beside you though!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 06 May 2014, 1:34 pm

tigertattie wrote:Mr BoD will be sitting beside you though!
Sure, he'll be too busy signing autographs to notice.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Tue 06 May 2014, 1:47 pm

tigertattie wrote:Mr BoD will be sitting beside you though!

Can I have one on each knee?  heart 

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Tue 06 May 2014, 1:53 pm

Mr BoD on one Knee and Mrs BoD on the other Mick? That would leave you in a quandary Smile

Edinburgh fans, nil desperandum, it's easier than you would think to have a go at Les Blues. Field 14 men against them and they go to pieces, it almost worked for us at the weekend. Perhaps 13 men would leave them too confused to play Smile

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 06 May 2014, 1:59 pm

Pete - Edinburgh's first XV is already the aggregate equivalent of having 12 or 13 players on the field in terms of impact.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Tue 06 May 2014, 2:06 pm

Keep reading about Solomon's upcoming player recruitment, can't happen/start fast enough, Edinburgh fans need something to sustain their interest. Great if we signed some gems; eg John Hardie, Tom Heathcote, Matty Russell etc etc but we'll no doubt get some more NSQs instead.

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 06 May 2014, 3:25 pm

Who is John Hardie?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Tue 06 May 2014, 3:27 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Who is John Hardie?

Otago Highlanders 7, SQ

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 06 May 2014, 3:30 pm

A 7 would actually be a good signing given that Rennie is leaving.

Not that Solomons actually plays 7s at openside.

Someone of the same impact as Holmes has had at Glasgow would be ideal - not necessarily international class (we've got to be realistic) but worthy of his starting spot if called upon.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 06 May 2014, 4:47 pm

Solomons doesn't appear to be interested in traditional openside flankers, very much preferring his back row players to be allrounders with no particular defined role.

I do think we need someone more competitive at the ruck area, who has that body shape to be able to get over the ball and compete. I can count on one finger the number of meaningful turnovers (in favour of Edinburgh - an important qualification) I can recall this season.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Tue 06 May 2014, 7:58 pm

fES, the breakdown isn't a one man game, every player in the team need to takle with the right technique, get up on their feet as soon as possible and contest the ball within the rules, it really is an art to master from 1 to 23 and i haven't seen Edinburgh doing it.

Sure having a classic openside hepls but it isn't everything.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 06 May 2014, 9:25 pm

That's completely true and I agree 100 per cent. But the best sides in the world have a classic openside as well as competing as a team on the ground. Every player needs to have that skill, but the very best opensides excel at it. There's also the added mobility around the park with having a proper breakaway flanker.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 06 May 2014, 9:26 pm

Put it this way - if Ross Rennie had been playing for Edinburgh this season I'm sure we'd notice the difference at the breakdown!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed 07 May 2014, 9:13 am

perhaps pappy is still working on the SA format that the 7 is the blindside flanker and thats why he wants to play 6s there???
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 07 May 2014, 9:14 am

tigertattie wrote:perhaps pappy is still working on the SA format that the 7 is the blindside flanker and thats why he wants to play 6s there???

....which would only make sense if he played an openside at number 6!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Wed 07 May 2014, 9:24 am

This match is the official send of for BOD (last home game of the regular season) so he will probably be starting.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 07 May 2014, 9:29 am

Mickado wrote:This match is the official send of for BOD (last home game of the regular season) so he will probably be starting.

Oh FFS that means they are going to be trying hard now!  Shocked 

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 07 May 2014, 9:41 am

Matt Scott vs BOD. The future versus the past. Perhaps this game will be worth watching.....

Let's be honest, this is a pretty good fixture for BOD to have as his final game. There's a good chance we'll be pretty accommodating in defence so he ought to score a try or four.

Watch out for Strauss at 12 for Edinburgh though. You'll not have seen a centre with so few standout qualities. He's a leader apparently, but I've yet to see his searing leadership qualities cause the opposition any defensive issues.

The other player to look out for is Mike Coman. Seriously, look out for him, he's not easy to spot on the rugby field. He's another "leader" though, so watch out for that.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed 07 May 2014, 10:55 am

Arent Leinster guaranteed a home semi? If so then this wouldn't be their last home fixture!!!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Wed 07 May 2014, 10:58 am

tigertattie wrote:Arent Leinster guaranteed a home semi? If so then this wouldn't be their last home fixture!!!

They are, now. But the planning for this started before we were guaranteed anything, so they went for the last home game of the regular season.

It’s also Leo Cullen’s last game before he retires as a player and becomes our forwards coach next year.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed 07 May 2014, 11:12 am

Leo cullen's mrs > BOD's Mrs
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 07 May 2014, 11:13 am

tigertattie wrote:Leo cullen's mrs > BOD's Mrs
Surprisingly, that is a Fact.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Wed 07 May 2014, 12:28 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:One guy asked on Twitter about season tickets - that's all I've seen so far.

Could he get a refund?

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Wed 07 May 2014, 1:36 pm

How many gigs are there on the BOD's Last Game Tour schedule?

Only Sinatra got more.

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Wed 07 May 2014, 1:49 pm

Portnoy's Complaint wrote:How many gigs are there on the BOD's Last Game Tour schedule?

Only Sinatra got more.

Yeah, so far we’ve had, his last home game for Ireland, his last actual game for Ireland, and….?

Hardly in the Shane Williams category of long goodbyes.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 07 May 2014, 1:54 pm

Mickado wrote:
Portnoy's Complaint wrote:How many gigs are there on the BOD's Last Game Tour schedule?

Only Sinatra got more.

Yeah, so far we’ve had, his last home game for Ireland, his last actual game for Ireland, and….?

I am expecting a testimonial and series of Barbarians appearances this year and next.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 07 May 2014, 1:55 pm

Mickado wrote:

Only Sinatra got more.

You forgot the last time he was dropped from the Lions.....  Run 

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Wed 07 May 2014, 2:42 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:
Mickado wrote:

Only Sinatra got more.

You forgot the last only time he was dropped from the Lions.....  Run 

Fixed!

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Wed 07 May 2014, 2:45 pm

Not to mention his last European game against 'Jonny', aka 'Stuart Barnes massages himself for two hours'.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 07 May 2014, 3:25 pm

It's actually fitting that BODs last home fixture for Leinster outside of the playoffs sees him facing some of the great players of world rugby: Wicus Blaauw, James Hilterbrand, Mike Coman, Dmitri Basilia, Tomas Leonardi, Carl Bezuidenhout, Piers Francis, Sam Beard and Andries Strauss. The Harlem Globetrotters of the rugby world, only different (i.e. without the fun, colour and success).

In fact, 80 minutes against our shower and he'll probably postpone his retirement. BOD at 70 would probably prosper against our blitz/drift/still drifting/dog leg/vacant defence.

Just for the avoidance of doubt, I'm a slightly disillusioned Edinburgh season ticket holder at the moment.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 07 May 2014, 3:43 pm

Perceptive Leinster posters may already have picked up something of a lack of confidence amongst its happy-go-lucky fans in Edinburgh's ability to take the TBP in this fixture.  chin

Last edited by George Carlin on Wed 07 May 2014, 3:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Submachine Wed 07 May 2014, 3:49 pm

Typical Edinburgh fan?

Submachine

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 07 May 2014, 3:58 pm

I think you'll find that this is the typical Edinburgh fan:

George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next