The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Radical and possible unworkable solution to matchplay format

2 posters

Go down

Radical and possible unworkable solution to matchplay format Empty Radical and possible unworkable solution to matchplay format

Post by I'm never wrong Thu 08 May 2014, 8:17 pm

Re the posts in another thread about the possible demise/postponement of the WGC Matchplay tournament, here is my solution.
I don't have a problem with matchplay, but I can see from the sponsors and broadcasters point of view, only having two people on the course on the final day doesn't always make compelling viewing.
So I am going to borrow an idea from the Rugby Sevens tournaments. There, if you get knocked out early on you continue to play for other trophies (“Bowl” and “Plate” etc)

So here's how my idea works.

64 players split into 16 groups. By world ranking or whatever. Mix the groups up so there is a variety of rankings within the groups.

They play 3 rounds against the three other members of their group. You now have 16 winners, 16 second places etc. Have a system of scoring that will define these accurately.

16 1st places do a series of matches to find overall winner. So start off with 16 players, then 8 then 4 then 2 then a winner.

BUT AT THE SAME TIME – the 16 2nd places are playing a series of matches to find their winner.

And repeat for the third and fourth places in the original groups as well.

NOT ONLY THAT – if you lost in a round in the knock-out stages, you would play against one of the other losers in that particular round. If you win you go up against somebody else who has been knocked out and then won. If you lose, you go up against someone else who has been knocked out and lost. And you keep playing until you have decided all the places between 1 and 64.

This means that every golfer will have to play 7 rounds. I admit that would be difficult.
It also means that there will always be 32 games of golf going on at the same time.
Solution. Two pairs of players on each hole and a shotgun start. Players would have to remember that they are playing just one person and the other two don't count in their game. But at least everyone will be on show at any one time.

How this would work out logistically I really don't know. And how the commentators would explain it to the audience would be a programme in itself.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Radical and possible unworkable solution to matchplay format Empty Re: Radical and possible unworkable solution to matchplay format

Post by lorus59 Sun 11 May 2014, 10:39 am

My solution would be to have the top 16 only of the men's, women's and champion's tours playing knock-out. On the final day there would be 3 finals being played at the same time. Better for sponsors and TV.

lorus59

Back to top Go down