The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RaboDirect Pro12 final will be at Ravenhill if Ulster make it - Irish Times

+7
Portnoy's Complaint
Notch
IanBru
tigertattie
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Standulstermen
Don Alfonso
11 posters

Go down

RaboDirect Pro12 final will be at Ravenhill if Ulster make it - Irish Times Empty RaboDirect Pro12 final will be at Ravenhill if Ulster make it - Irish Times

Post by Don Alfonso Wed 14 May 2014, 9:52 am

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/pro12/rabodirect-pro12-final-will-be-at-ravenhill-if-ulster-make-it-1.1793582

Poorly written article - has anybody seen any correlating articles/reports from other sources?

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

RaboDirect Pro12 final will be at Ravenhill if Ulster make it - Irish Times Empty Re: RaboDirect Pro12 final will be at Ravenhill if Ulster make it - Irish Times

Post by Standulstermen Wed 14 May 2014, 9:53 am

It would be madness from a Glasgow pov as the only way it would come to pass is if they meet the team whose home ground it is.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

RaboDirect Pro12 final will be at Ravenhill if Ulster make it - Irish Times Empty Re: RaboDirect Pro12 final will be at Ravenhill if Ulster make it - Irish Times

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 14 May 2014, 9:56 am

Would it be worth it from the perspective of ensuring a true spectacle in a rugby cradle? (perhaps in terms of future league sponsorship?)

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Wed 14 May 2014, 9:59 am

What choice do they have?

What choice did Ulster have last season?

Would they be better off at another, completely neutral venue? I doubt it.

If it's not in Glasgow/Edinburgh/central Scotland, they'll probably get as many travelling Ulster fans as Glasgow fans, regardless.

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 14 May 2014, 10:18 am

OK, I'll call it. If Glasgow and Ulster win the semis, the final will be played ...

... in Glasgow ...

... at Celtic Park.

You heard it here first OK

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed 14 May 2014, 10:53 am

Stop teasing folk ASBO!

You know Celtic park is out of action now!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Wed 14 May 2014, 11:50 am

The article has now been taken down from the Irish Times website.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed 14 May 2014, 11:51 am

I don't believe that is correct, I can't be sure what the article said as it's been removed. Probably for being wrong.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Wed 14 May 2014, 3:53 pm

The Irish Times wrote:irishtimes.com

404. That's an error.
So true.

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Wed 14 May 2014, 4:03 pm

Don't bite for some illiterate moron getting rubbish like this put into the IT. I'm with ASBO - Sellick Park it is !
21st Century Schizoid Man

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Wed 14 May 2014, 4:08 pm

Parkhead would surely make the most sense - I mean, yes it's being torn up for the opening ceremony, but that's like seven weeks after the Pro12 final. There's more than enough time to get the place sorted for the giant Salmond Death Robot to walk about.

I'm sure Asbo knows a guy who can lay some tarmac and string up some neon lights at short notice.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Wed 14 May 2014, 4:19 pm

IanBru wrote:Parkhead would surely make the most sense - I mean, yes it's being torn up for the opening ceremony, but that's like seven weeks after the Pro12 final. There's more than enough time to get the place sorted for the giant Salmond Death Robot to walk about.

I'm sure Asbo knows a guy who can lay some tarmac and string up some neon lights at short notice.

I think it would be better if they played it on grass Ian, no?

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 14 May 2014, 4:30 pm

IanBru wrote:Parkhead would surely make the most sense - I mean, yes it's being torn up for the opening ceremony, but that's like seven weeks after the Pro12 final. There's more than enough time to get the place sorted for the giant Salmond Death Robot to walk about.

Now THAT would be an opening ceremony!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Wed 14 May 2014, 6:10 pm

I did bring this up on the Glasgow Munster thread that I think there is a chance it could be moved to Ravenhill.

My reasons were then that the grounds available are either too big or too small. has to be over 18,000, but can't be too big as a half sold stadium for a final will look poor to bring in potential league sponsors. We can guess that Heineken and eithad (listed as potention sponsors) will have representatives at it, and a half full Ibrox/Murrayfield would not make a good impression.

The example I used of last year Ulster not using the Aviva because there was not enough time to sell it out, applies even more so for Glasgow. If Ulster V Leinster does not have time to sell out the Aviva, then Glasgow V Ulster won't have time to sell out Ibrox/Murrayfield.

I added that the rules are that the Pro 12 decide on where the final is but Glasgow could nominate one, leading tme to suspect that if they nominated Ibrox/Murrayfield they would be over ruled as this is an important year to look good for sponsors, and Ravenhill would be a guaranteed sell out crowd in a brand new modern stadium, that would look a lot better to Heineken, than Rugby park or empty big stadia.

I hope it doesn't come to this, as a home final is Glasgow would really push the popularity of the League and Glasgow, with would be really beneficial for the league.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed 14 May 2014, 6:56 pm

I'd feel sorry for the Glasgow fans though. Before feeling very warm and happy. It would be a great occasion- 100% guaranteed better atmosphere than any of the grounds put forward- but a sad, bad missed chance for the league to advertise a big event in Scotland and get some new punters through the gates.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Wed 14 May 2014, 7:05 pm

Aint gonna happen anywhere outside Glasgow unless of course its in Dublin/Thomond.

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed 14 May 2014, 7:07 pm

21st Century Schizoid Man wrote:Aint gonna happen anywhere outside Glasgow unless of course its in Dublin/Thomond.

You'd hope so, but at the end of the day the final call will be made by the league.

I know, I know. We were the victims of it last year.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down